Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/21/2008 6:37:23 PM EDT
Got home from work this afternoon and had a message on the machine from the Dr. .................looks like cancer. Melanoma to be more specific. Will know more in the next few days.

Geeze. Sometimes it's hard to get a break.............................................

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:39:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll be praying for you!  You've got a lot of friends here to support you.

HH
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:39:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, hope you hear some good news soon.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Scary feeling..

There are many here who have been through the same and lots of great info to help.

Please let us know what if anything we can do!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Dang!  Over the phone? That's harsh.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:40:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Im hearing alot of this lately

Hang tough buddy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Dang!  Over the phone? That's harsh.

It was a message on the answering machine. I authorized it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'll be praying for you!  You've got a lot of friends here to support you.

HH

Thanks HH.

I don't think it is life threatening yet. It wasn't an URGENT message nor did they call me direct. Just something about "this one was benign and nothing to worry about. However, the other was a bit abnormal and we need to watch it and possibly take a closer look. If it is, we will probably need a biopsy."

Not the greatest thing to come home to. I would have preferred Ed McMahon waiting for me on the porch. Even if he is dead.

We'll see.

Que sara sara.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:45:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Prayers sent my friend.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Good luck to ya bud...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Tough one mang, hope its nothing to worry about.  Hang in there, manys hopes and prayers are with you.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Best wishes for a speedy recovery. You can beat this!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Hang tough buddy.

That's what growing up in the Southern sun will do for ya' I guess.

Just turned 40 this year.

Had a staph infection a month or so ago.

Now this.

So far, I have 'forgotten' about getting the annual anal probe. I guess if other life altering shit ever stops on its on, or if I ever get bored enough, I'll 'man up' for the rectal treat. I gotta start search for a hottie proctologist pretty soon.

What the hell will 50 be like??????
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1.

Hell, not only did Lance Armstrong beat three types of cancer at once, he get to bone Sheryl Crow for the prize.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Well damn man, you will be in my prayers tonight!!!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Prayers sent that the melanoma is very shallow.  The more shallow, the better.  My sister had melanoma and is doing fine 5+ years out.  Ironically, she's a dermatologist.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.

Hell, not only did Lance Armstrong beat three types of cancer at once, he get to bone Sheryl Crow for the prize.

I'm not so sure that is a prize.

I have a HOTTIE at home that puts her to shame and 5 BEAUTIFUL girls to prove it.

I might take one for the team though...................................... (just so I could post SIIHPAPP for you guys).
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hang tough buddy.

That's what growing up in the Southern sun will do for ya' I guess.

Just turned 40 this year.

Had a staph infection a month or so ago.

Now this.

So far, I have 'forgotten' about getting the annual anal probe. I guess if other life altering shit ever stops on its on, or if I ever get bored enough, I'll 'man up' for the rectal treat. I gotta start search for a hottie proctologist pretty soon.

What the hell will 50 be like??????

Most survivable kind of cancer there is.  If they got it in time, you'll be A-OK.

EDIT: To everyone reading this - if you have odd looking moles or other skin blemishes that start to change shape or color, have them checked FAST.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Melanoma can be very minor and in most instances is.

Best case is minor surgery that you will recover from quite quickly.

I have an Aunt that had it and was recovered from the surgery before she got a chance to tell us she "had cancer."

I will pray for your quick recovery.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:54:58 PM EDT
[#21]
That really sucks.  I wish you the best.  Keep us posted!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:55:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Sorry to hear that. Let's hope for the best.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Sorry to hear this news. May God be with you.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#24]
WATCH IT? Fuck that shit!! Cut that MFer off\out, I've been lucky so far
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Sorry to hear this news. May God be with you.

Thank you. And to you as well.

Thanks to everyone who has posted.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#26]
This is weird.

I just went to the doc today for suspicion of same thing.

He took one look at it and said, "It's nothing, don't worry about it."
Very quick and definitive.  I hope he knows his stuff.

On a side note a gal friend of mine had one removed, quick and easy surgery. Home same day.  Hope your is not serious.

Hal
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Already did that. That's what went to the lab.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:05:18 PM EDT
[#28]
ETA: posted on wrong thread
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
This is weird.

I just went to the doc today for suspicion of same thing.

He took one look at it and said, "It's nothing, don't worry about it."
Very quick and definitive.  I hope he knows his stuff.

On a side note a gal friend of mine had one removed, quick and easy surgery. Home same day.  Hope your is not serious.

Hal

Had three spots taken off last Wednesday. Done in the office. When he was done, I put my shirt back on and went on in to work. Didn't bother me then. I actually was surprised when I asked if he was ready and his response was "Oh, I'm done already".

I now look like I got hit by some stray 00 buck at the wide end of a pattern. What started as some surface holes now look pretty deep.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:07:50 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
man what do you expect, the 80s were the decade of the rebuilding of patriotism in the USA after a decade and a half of hippy liberals tearing it down; the grade school teachers were teaching it right along side of political correctness and proper manners;

hell Ronald Regan spent two terms of office working to build the country back up, all the while quoting Rambo, it just took hollywood a bit to get back on track.

Ah, OK.

I think.

Did you get lost and stumble into this thread by accident????

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Mine was a flat, rough surface, dark brown patch about 3/8's of an inch.
Kinda dark brown.  Looked like a large freckle or flat mole with rough skin.

Looks just like some pictures on the net.  I was worried but the doc blew it off right away.
I can't remember what he called it but said it was common.

Hopefully you caught it early.

Hal
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Already did that. That's what went to the lab.

Ahhh......sorry, like I said, I've been lucky so far, all of mine have been benign, good luck
(on me, they just take a piece of it and test it before they even think about removing it)
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Really sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Dude, that sucks

At least my doc had the right idea and waited to tell me in person...

Unfortunatly, my father was also in the room when the doc laid out the "You have/had the big C" line....really wish he haden't done that, or waited until we could converse alone. But, hey, what you gonna do.

I had my thyroid removed (long story), and they apparently found a form of cancer "off the mean", that is, not where they were checking for it, it just happened to show up. Fortunatly, it was one of those %90 cure rate cancers. Unfortunatly, it was still cancer, and they had to nuke the remanents (pardon the spelling) of the thyroid they left in place. They think they got it all, but hey, we'll see.

Not quite a cancer survivor, but it was enough to make me start looking at things in a slightly different light.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#35]
You aren't in that bad a shape.  I've had 2 removed.  Keep out of the sun without sunscreen.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:39:06 PM EDT
[#36]
deleted, posted wrong thread
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#37]
I had squamous cell cancer on my ear of all places.  They cut it down to the cartilage and skin grated from my next on to my ear.  6 years out doing fine.  Hang tough and you will be in a lot of people's prayers here.  I was 38 when that happened.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Not the greatest thing to come home to. I would have preferred Ed McMahon waiting for me on the porch. Even if he is dead.

Not to get off topic , but Ed ain't dead yet
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:09:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Prayer inbound...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:34:15 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to get off topic , but Ed ain't dead yet

Oooppsss.........

Guess I just haven't seen or heard much from him in the last few years and figured he was giving out checks in the Big Sweepstakes upstairs.

Sorry Ed.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:21:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Good luck.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:28:44 AM EDT
[#42]
My thoughts are with you bro, good luck.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:37:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Good luck to you.  

Coincidentally, I just made my very first dermatologist appointment about 30 minutes ago because I have a bump on my neck.  I suspect it's an ingrown hair, but my Mom thought the same thing about a bump she got on her leg about a month ago, and it turned out to be Basal Cell Carcinoma!  She got it removed and she's going to be o.k.  I didn't want to take my chances.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:42:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Well shit.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:49:23 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
"this one was benign and nothing to worry about. However, the other was a bit abnormal and we need to watch it and possibly take a closer look. If it is, we will probably need a biopsy."

That was them telling you that you had melanoma?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#46]
We are here for you  Keep us up to date - if you feel okay with that.  Hang tough and call for support when you need it.

CWO
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Prayers sent man

Didn't we meet at galoggers place awhile back?
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Damn, that sucks.  Best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:53:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Prayers for you full recovery and long happy life.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:54:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top