BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We can not thank our veterans enough for enduring such extreme hardships to keep this country free!
We are losing so many of them each day take time to say thank you every chance you get!
View Quote

And to think that fucking asshole tried to keep them from their own memorial.  God Bless the greatest generation.  May we never forget your sacrifice.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#2]
My great uncle was in the Marines and was wounded on Iwo Jima. He never liked to talk about it. He did have the Jap bullet they took out of him made into a keychain.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
1:50 -m1 carbine with a bayonet?
View Quote

Yeah, definitely not WW2.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:28:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently there were some carbines with bayonets floating around in late WW2.

A search shows a few pictures.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Brutal.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:44:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Late WWII, yes. I don't have my War Baby books handy, but from what I remember lugs were sent out to retrofit earlier ones, too. It's a simple upgrade-just the barrel band removed and replaced with a lugged one. The bayonet for them was the M4, which is basically an M3 fighting knife in every other aspect. The blade is the same as what would be used on the later M7 bayonets for the M-16 rifle.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Humbling video.  Thanks to all who have served.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Humbling video.  Thanks to all who have served.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#9]
WOW...  My Grandfather was in the Pacific (Australia, New Guinea, and Phillipens.)  He was an anti aircraft gunner.  He told me many stories of the Japanese attacking their camps. Very brutal.  I have a great picture of my Grandfather and a friend of his holding a Jap flag that is shot all up.  I really miss him...
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Tag
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I am beside myself with awe and humility when I see footage like this and think that my grandfather was in the Pacific Theatre as a young Marine. Guadalcanal and Tarawa.

He survived, though seriously injured.  He went on to marry, be both a man's man and a ladies' man.  He is my father's and my oldest son's namesake.

-p.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#12]
That video footage showed a small portion of why war sucks.

What a fucking meat grinder.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Tag.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:34:01 PM EDT
[#16]
tag for later
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for posting this.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#18]
It's almost hard to imagine fighting on that scale

God bless those men
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah. My great uncle was on Gavatu and only lasted a few hours. Killed after pulling two of his wounded guys to safety. Got the silver star though, for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:02:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah. My great uncle was on Gavatu and only lasted a few hours. Killed after pulling two of his wounded guys to safety. Got the silver star though, for what it's worth.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may be nobody but it's worth something to me. Bless the man
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for this. It's gotten me and the wife to finally submit a request to get her grandfather's DD214. He joined in 1942 and all we have of his service is this record from Ancestry.com:

"United States Marine Corps, was awarded the Silver Star for gallantry in action at Tarawa, Gilbert Islands, Marshall Islands, and Saipan and Tinian, Marianas Islands on No Date Specified."

And the few stories he told my wife and her mom. Apparently he lost his entire unit - and had fear of caves and wouldn't go to 4th of July fireworks shows.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's what I was thinking.  That has to be the worst shit ever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great vid.

And fuck jungles.  

That's what I was thinking.  That has to be the worst shit ever.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Thanks for this. It's gotten me and the wife to finally submit a request to get her grandfather's DD214. He joined in 1942 and all we have of his service is this record from Ancestry.com:

"United States Marine Corps, was awarded the Silver Star for gallantry in action at Tarawa, Gilbert Islands, Marshall Islands, and Saipan and Tinian, Marianas Islands on No Date Specified."

And the few stories he told my wife and her mom. Apparently he lost his entire unit - and had fear of caves and wouldn't go to 4th of July fireworks shows.  
View Quote

You'll be happy to know that the WW2 USMC records were not lost in the St. Louis records fire in the 1970's. That fire wiped out almost all of the Army ones. I collect WW2 USMC uniforms and request the records for every one. Be prepared for some intense stuff. One of my uniforms that belonged to a Guadalcanal and Cape Gloucester veteran has a letter his wife sent to the San Diego base saying that she hadn't heard from him in a long time, and didn't know where he was. There is a reply letter to her from an officer telling her his unit is in a combat zone and is unable to send and receive mail. Can you imagine how she was feeling? God bless these guys and their families.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:34:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
You'll be happy to know that the WW2 USMC records were not lost in the St. Louis records fire in the 1970's. That fire wiped out almost all of the Army ones. I collect WW2 USMC uniforms and request the records for every one. Be prepared for some intense stuff. One of my uniforms that belonged to a Guadalcanal and Cape Gloucester veteran has a letter his wife sent to the San Diego base saying that she hadn't heard from him in a long time, and didn't know where he was. There is a reply letter to her from an officer telling her his unit is in a combat zone and is unable to send and receive mail. Can you imagine how she was feeling? God bless these guys and their families.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

SGT Haynes (My wife's grandfather) kept his uniforms, medals, and even his M1 Garand from Korea; but after his death the house was broken into and all that was stolen apparently.

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:05:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Amazing and sad. I often tell people that I think a lot of societal problems have risen from a couple centuries of horrible wars.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top