User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:37:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wow. Would love to hear that story if you ever want to share it. Thank god you recovered!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I lived for 45 minutes with both lungs collapsed, all ribs broken (front and back) and 5 ribs puncturing the lungs.  I couldn't talk, but wrote letters to the ones I loved and thought about life a bit.  I would have had zero problems shooting a firearm - accurately.

Wow. Would love to hear that story if you ever want to share it. Thank god you recovered!

I was hit from behind at 65 mph while riding my motorcycle on a back road while home from college.  The Ford F150 with a chrome bumper pushed my back bumper to the side.  My front wheel hit the ditch, I cartwheeled, and then wrapped around a tree - with the bike hitting my back.  I was left for dead on the side of the road.  It happened on December 23, 1992.  I pushed the bike off me (still have burns to show for it), crawled to the road and flagged down a passing car.  It was when I spoke to them that my lungs collapsed.  I'll never forget the feeling.  They called 911, EMS and eventually life flight show up, I had a fairly uncomfortable ride to the ER - where an ER doctor inserted chest tubes, drained the fluid, re-inflated my lungs and put me on a respirator.  They also reset my hip and lots of other fun things.  I'm no tough guy.  Adrenaline and willpower can accomplish incredible things, though.  And that's my message.  I actually waved to people who showed up to help me, wrote letters and was fully aware and in control the entire time.  I would have had no problem firing a weapon, and that's on top of the extra injuries that a 'mere' gunshot would have caused.  6 months later I married the lady who nursed me back to health, and we've been married almost 25 years.  That accident was the best thing that ever happened to me!

Sorry for the derail.  I just felt the statement about lung shots killing people in 20 seconds were a bit inaccurate.  Depending on caliber and bullet expansion - maybe.  A hole in one's lung is not necessarily a 'game over' event....
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Ever see the Bud Dwyer video on YouTube?

I was doing some wiki'ing a couple of weeks ago, and according to wiki, the person who made the accusations about Bud, which ultimately led to him suck starting a revolver in front of the cameras, recanted his allegations in an interviews years after Bud offed himself.

What a shit bag!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:50:20 PM EDT
[#3]
If he survived it, its not a mortal would.  

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:02:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the Yeager ditch diving video was a better representation of how long a guy can stay in the fight before succumbing to his wounds.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not a CNS hit, no reason for him to drop like a sack of potatoes. Chest trauma is very survivable given the organs aren't destroyed and you have good medical care quickly.  Being shot is all about mindset. Just because you're hit doesn't mean you're dead.  Finish the fight.
View Quote

Yeah. Doubt that is survivable. That's a heart/ aorta hit right there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:08:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It looks like the angle of the shot was not dead center but to his left .  He probably took out the left lung, but may have either missed or just grazed  his heart.    

Looked kind of like a deer after getting hit through the chest with an arrow.   Gets a little wobbly at first and then drops.
View Quote

Heart has an offset to the left.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You watch a lot of conception videos?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's up with people posting all of these gory videos?  Do you guys actually like watching that crap?  

I do. I find it really interesting. Stuff you don't normally see every day. Death and horrific injury are absolutely fascinating, just like conception, birth and repairs to life. It's the very meat of existence. Absolutely fascinating.

You watch a lot of conception videos?  

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#10]
How come these fuckers who shoot themselves never actually aim for the brain stem?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

There is another video of a guy doing it with a shotgun.
View Quote

Under the chin.

Never understood why some shoot themselves from that point.

I'd think the temple, being closest to the desired target would be a better choice.....but I guess not all that easy to do with a shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There is another video of a guy doing it with a shotgun.
View Quote

LINK?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How come these fuckers who shoot themselves never actually aim for the brain stem?
View Quote

That's a small, awkward thing to hit on yourself. And a lot of people have an emotional issue with self-headshots. Women, especially, like to go for their own chests if they're using a gun. Some folks say it's vanity, but I think it's something else that repulses them about a headshot.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's a small, awkward thing to hit on yourself. And a lot of people have an emotional issue with self-headshots. Women, especially, like to go for their own chests if they're using a gun. Some folks say it's vanity, but I think it's something else that repulses them about a headshot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, but I'd think a women who gonna shoot herself in the chest will aim a little more carefully than a male.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#15]
As a 20 year ff/pm, I've watched a lot of people die from GSWs, and a lot of people live.  I can say that it is hard to predict what the outcome will be from torso shots.   Anecdotally, I have had more of the ABD hits die than the chest shots, of course they die slower.  As you have all heard before, I've seen 6 or 7 hits to the torso live/die at about the same ratio as the single hits.  The question of the will to fight after trauma is as has been said before, largely mental.  I have pulled up on a 110 pound mom literally walking on a compound femur fracture to get to her kids after they had all been hit by a car, and I've seen 6'4" 240 GIs crying from a broken ankle.  

Depends on the individual's will after being hit (as long as not CNS hit).
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Crazy world we are living in when you can “CLICK” and see shit like that.
View Quote

Meh
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:52:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If I owned a 1911, I would too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would you shoot yourself in the chest

I don't know why.... but that is fucking classic!

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If he woulda used a 1911 in .45 it would have be instant
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If he woulda used a 1911 in .45 it would have be instant
Nah.... .40 S&W would have done the jump. .45 ACP is just too damn slow. It wouldn't even hit his heart until a week later.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

That dude is a cop?
View Quote
Sounds like Brazilian Portuguese.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I was hit from behind at 65 mph while riding my motorcycle on a back road while home from college.  The Ford F150 with a chrome bumper pushed my back bumper to the side.  My front wheel hit the ditch, I cartwheeled, and then wrapped around a tree - with the bike hitting my back.  I was left for dead on the side of the road.  It happened on December 23, 1992.  I pushed the bike off me (still have burns to show for it), crawled to the road and flagged down a passing car.  It was when I spoke to them that my lungs collapsed.  I'll never forget the feeling.  They called 911, EMS and eventually life flight show up, I had a fairly uncomfortable ride to the ER - where an ER doctor inserted chest tubes, drained the fluid, re-inflated my lungs and put me on a respirator.  They also reset my hip and lots of other fun things.  I'm no tough guy.  Adrenaline and willpower can accomplish incredible things, though.  And that's my message.  I actually waved to people who showed up to help me, wrote letters and was fully aware and in control the entire time.  I would have had no problem firing a weapon, and that's on top of the extra injuries that a 'mere' gunshot would have caused.  6 months later I married the lady who nursed me back to health, and we've been married almost 25 years.  That accident was the best thing that ever happened to me!
Sorry for the derail.  I just felt the statement about lung shots killing people in 20 seconds were a bit inaccurate.  Depending on caliber and bullet expansion - maybe.  A hole in one's lung is not necessarily a 'game over' event....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I lived for 45 minutes with both lungs collapsed, all ribs broken (front and back) and 5 ribs puncturing the lungs.  I couldn't talk, but wrote letters to the ones I loved and thought about life a bit.  I would have had zero problems shooting a firearm - accurately.

Congrats bro!

Will power is a powerful drug. My motorcycle accident was nowhere near as bad but it sucked.

Wife (fiancee at the time) and I were on our bike going to look at a house. We were doing about 45 mph and were T-Boned on the right side by a stupid woman in a Gold Kia Rio that ran a stop sign. Wife was ejected and I went down with the bike. I threw the bike off me, attempted to stand and my right leg gave out from under me. Crawled to my wife to make sure she was okay and started to provide first aid.

Another driver that saw the crash pulled up all panicky going "OMG, OMG, OMG". I yelled at them that I was LE, flashed my creds, and directed them to use their vehicle to block traffic from hitting us. Told the driver that hit us to call 911. Paramedics showed up and I was calm and collective the whole time until I got to the hospital. hell,. I chatted with them and told them not to cut the jacket. They laughed and asked if I could take it off. I had my Beretta 96 on me at the time and I checked to make sure that it was still on me.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:19:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Good Kill !

He didn't take anyone out before he did himself.  I'll never understand the murder suicide thing.  Just get it in the correct order like this guy did.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#22]
That's about 20 seconds of a bad case of buyers remorse.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Some folks aren't worth helping. For instance, the ones who come to your job and shoot themselves in front of you to punish you for not wanting them.

Fuck him.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Bitch doesn't even try to help.

Sucky chick to kill yourself  for

Some folks aren't worth helping. For instance, the ones who come to your job and shoot themselves in front of you to punish you for not wanting them.

Fuck him.

Off duty cop. You made light of his demise. Paging aimless. . .

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:23:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck him.

I didn't know he was a cop. Either way, he's a tard.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck him.

Ahhh doubling down . . .

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If it had been a shotgun with birdshot, it would have blown his heart clean out through his spine, remove meat from bone, bone from marrow, and everybody else in the place would have proned out when he racked the slide.

#screamingfuckingnightmare  #simplygothic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Took a class last weekend where the instructor, (retired LEO, SWAT, trained thousands of officers), said he's seen upwards to 4 minutes.

Moral of the story, pistols can be poor fight stoppers.

If it had been a shotgun with birdshot, it would have blown his heart clean out through his spine, remove meat from bone, bone from marrow, and everybody else in the place would have proned out when he racked the slide.

#screamingfuckingnightmare  #simplygothic

He would have racked it and his heart would have stopped.

Instant death.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:31:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow...after shooting himself he was probably thinking fuck that was dumb.  No female is worth shooting yourself in the chest.  Sad for his family.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Fuck him.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck him.

I had a classmate killed at her place of work when her ex came in and shot her with a .44 mag.  Once he finished her off, he turned the gun on himself.  One gunshot to the chest.

They had two kids together.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Bowling alley in Iowa had same song with a 44 lever action.

Shot woman then himself.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Even with a completely severed aorta, an individual can attack at full strength for 10 seconds.

Handguns positively suck at stopping threats and should serve as a stop-gap for a RIFLE or a last ditch maneuver while exiting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Needs more descending aorta involvement for more instant death, he may have nicked it, definitely got some lung... Probably just passed out from the initial "man this sucks, I immediately regret my decision" shock

Even with a completely severed aorta, an individual can attack at full strength for 10 seconds.

Handguns positively suck at stopping threats and should serve as a stop-gap for a RIFLE or a last ditch maneuver while exiting.

An old cowboy saying:  You might get me, but I'll have my 10.

Still holds true today.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:43:19 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote

So your loved ones don't have to have a closed casket funeral.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:54:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Still holds true today.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Needs more descending aorta involvement for more instant death, he may have nicked it, definitely got some lung... Probably just passed out from the initial "man this sucks, I immediately regret my decision" shock

Still holds true today.

But that cowboy's assuming you're going to stop after one shot. Wouldn't you just keep shooting till the threat is gone? Isn't that why we carry spare mags?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Fuck him.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck him.

You gotta give the guy some points for limiting the shots to himself.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck him.

I always say that too. If you ever feel like going out and killing a bunch of people, start with yourself and go from there.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

But that cowboy's assuming you're going to stop after one shot. Wouldn't you just keep shooting till the threat is gone? Isn't that why we carry spare mags?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still holds true today.

No, it was more referring to a mortal wound.  Specifically a chest wound, that you can still fight with a mortal wound to the chest cavity(heart). You are correct, that is why we carry spare mags and train to continue to shoot until the threat is stopped.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:56:27 PM EDT
[#36]
What caliber?
Did not seem to be much recoil, shot with one hand, no barrel climb, etc.
Sad Though.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:48:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No, it was more referring to a mortal wound.  Specifically a chest wound, that you can still fight with a mortal wound to the chest cavity(heart). You are correct, that is why we carry spare mags and train to continue to shoot until the threat is stopped.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still holds true today.

Well yeah, but it's referring to a single wound. Who would leave the cowboy with a single wound? I guess if the other shots miss or the shooter's attention is drawn away or believes the cowboy to be neutralized.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:51:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fuck him.

I don't think so. A bad guy could always have done worse. What's next? Giving points to people who rape toddlers but don't kill them?  Nah. Fuck them all.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:02:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:51:58 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Graffic?

Lol

effics are like ethics, but there is fffs in it
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Interesting.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top