Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My computer is on COM 4

You can change the COM number just by typing (if you didnt know that)

I can't change the com port number in the programming software.  I can change it in the device manager, but it doesn't show up in the program.

Youre using chirp?

If so, when the com port box opens up, you can click

the cursor in that box and change the number. It worked for me anyhow (not trying to sound snarky)

No problem, I'm using the Baofeng software.  I'll try the Chirp and see if that works.  Thanks,

I just got the CHIRP to work.

Im having the issue of the cable keying the radio though

I tried com 4 and a bunch of other com ports.  None of them work.  The error message says:

could not open port COM3: [Error 2] The system cannot find the file specified.

Yea, Im getting that code now.

Think the cable is shit here.

Youve heard that already though huh?

Yep...  So much for the "cheap" intro into the hobby.  I consistently pass the practice Tech Exam.  Maybe someone at the meeting after the test will be able to do something with this after they stop laughing.  Now I want something that at least works and has a manual that actually has instructions.  

Enough for tonight.  Thanks for the info....

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 1:45:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The ham radio community also maybe isn't the most welcoming for beginners or those without quite the dedication of the diehards.

there is an example of just that right here in this thread -- and despite two separate requests from two separate folks to advise on when he got his license, he has ignored both.  

ergo, i am beginning to think this individual doesn't actually have an amateur license.

ar-jedi

Who, me?  I was licensed in late 2011.  Just a no code Tech.

NO, Im pretty sure he is talking about me. I have two people blocked, so I only see something they said if someone else quotes them. I definitely come here to help but rubbed a few the wrong way with my very first post. I honesty didn't mean any to hurt anyone's feelings with only one post being the exception. Im definitely licensed. I have spoke to one person on this thread through IRLP (call included) and did multiple live video ham 101's on line with a few guys here. Each time I did a demo on the radio (call included).  But I do know very well that I can often be taken wrong, especially online.  Im not good at convening thought into typed text. I apologize to anyone I have offended from the bottom of my hart. I will step away from this thread and say 73 to Jedi.

Anyone who has already asked for help through IM, I will continue helping there if you like.

Scott

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 1:54:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The ham radio community also maybe isn't the most welcoming for beginners or those without quite the dedication of the diehards.

there is an example of just that right here in this thread -- and despite two separate requests from two separate folks to advise on when he got his license, he has ignored both.  
ergo, i am beginning to think this individual doesn't actually have an amateur license.

ar-jedi

Who, me?  I was licensed in late 2011.  Just a no code Tech.

NO, Im pretty sure he is talking about me. I have two people blocked, so I only see something they said if someone else quotes them. I definitely come here to help but rubbed a few the wrong way with my very first post. I honesty didn't mean any to hurt anyone's feelings with only one post being the exception. Im definitely licensed. I have spoke to one person on this thread through IRLP (call included) and did multiple live video ham 101's on line with a few guys here. Each time I did a demo on the radio (call included).  But I do know very well that I can often be taken wrong, especially online.  Im not good at convening thought into typed text. I apologize to anyone I have offended from the bottom of my hart. I will step away from this thread and say 73 to Jedi.

Anyone who has already asked for help through IM, I will continue helping there if you like.

Scott

How long have you been a ham?

(Somebody quote me so he sees this )
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 6:56:56 AM EDT
[#4]
What is (cherp) and how can I get it to program my Baofeng uv-b6? I downloaded the programming file from the Baofeng web site, but it's an rar file that I can't get to run/open.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 7:16:24 AM EDT
[#5]
This thread really helped me when trying to program the UV-5r

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/664274_Baofeng_UV_5R_information.html
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 8:27:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

This thread really helped me when trying to program the UV-5r

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/664274_Baofeng_UV_5R_information.html
Thank you

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#7]
A few things for the people having programming problems.

- Chirp only supports the new UV-B5 & UV-B6 in the DAILY builds, not in the stable release version.  I haven't encountered any issues, but using a daily build means there could be some bugs.

- When the cable is FULLY inserted into the radio, and programming, it will look like the radio is transmitting and/or receiving.  If it errors out, check that the plug is fully inserted into the radio; mine likes to get hung up on the port cover a miniscule but large enough amount for problems.

- With Chirp, you have to download from the radio before you can upload anything for the first time.  When you download, make certain you select the correct radio, UV-5R vs UV-B5 and correct COM port.

- There are numerous counterfeit cables using fake Prolific USB-Serial chipsets.  If you end up with one of these cables you MUST install the old version (v1.8?) of the driver BEFORE you connect the cable or Windows will disable the port until you remove the device in Device Manager.

- The known good USB cables come from Ed @ wouxun.us / importcommunications.com  OR from Kawamall.com.  It seems some people have had success with a few from Amazon, but I don't know which ones.

Both Ed & Kawamall sell Serial (DB9) cables if people would rather have those.

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's a good source for a reliable  serial (not usb) programming cable for the Baofeng radios.  I know it uses the Kenwood version.  I got a cable w/ my UV-5R, but it appears to be causing problems.   It has shut down one of my desktops and the radio appears to be trying to broadcast when I have used it.  It's not consistent though.

Which OS is your computer running?

Are you using Baofeng's programming software, or CHIRP?

3 of them are on windows 7 64 bit.  One is on 8.    I've got a daily build of chirp and baofengs software.  Have tried both and tried it on all 4 systems.

The problem you're running into is the cheap USB cables have a Chinese pirated COPY of the true Prolific logic chip.  Since the Windows XP driver Prolific has included a chip checker in the driver and will disable the COM port if it detects a fake chipset.

The workaround is to remove the existing driver and get the XP driver installed before Windows automatically catches it.

OR

I've never had any issues with Kawamall's USB cables.  His are more expensive though...

He offers both the USB version and the DB9 version you asked about.

DB9 version:
http://www.kawamall.com/pd_1x_kwca0gst.cfm

I'll agree the cable has a problem, I don't agree it's the driver.   I've seen bad cables blue screen/reboot a system.  This thing has physically shut the machine off, and it' wouldn't come back on for a minute or so.  Something is majorly wrong w/ that cable.    I work w/ serial stuff and USB -> serial cables all the time.   I've seen the issues w/ the cheap knockoff cables.  This is way worse.

I've got another USB cable coming w/ my UV-B5.   Just ordered one of the serial cables you listed as a failsafe.  I'll see what works.  Don't have a lot of hope for cheap USB cables since I've seen the issues.  Have better hopes for that cable.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 4:05:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What is (cherp) and how can I get it to program my Baofeng uv-b6? I downloaded the programming file from the Baofeng web site, but it's an rar file that I can't get to run/open.

CHIRP is a free open source amateur radio programming software.  If you have multiple radios you can use one application to program your radios instead of having to run specific applications for each radio.

Download 7zip to extract the .rar.

If that doesn't work send me an IM and I'll give you access to my ftp site that has the extracted file.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's a good source for a reliable  serial (not usb) programming cable for the Baofeng radios.  I know it uses the Kenwood version.  I got a cable w/ my UV-5R, but it appears to be causing problems.   It has shut down one of my desktops and the radio appears to be trying to broadcast when I have used it.  It's not consistent though.

Which OS is your computer running?

Are you using Baofeng's programming software, or CHIRP?

3 of them are on windows 7 64 bit.  One is on 8.    I've got a daily build of chirp and baofengs software.  Have tried both and tried it on all 4 systems.

The problem you're running into is the cheap USB cables have a Chinese pirated COPY of the true Prolific logic chip.  Since the Windows XP driver Prolific has included a chip checker in the driver and will disable the COM port if it detects a fake chipset.

The workaround is to remove the existing driver and get the XP driver installed before Windows automatically catches it.

OR

I've never had any issues with Kawamall's USB cables.  His are more expensive though...

He offers both the USB version and the DB9 version you asked about.

DB9 version:

http://www.kawamall.com/pd_1x_kwca0gst.cfm

I'll agree the cable has a problem, I don't agree it's the driver.   I've seen bad cables blue screen/reboot a system.  This thing has physically shut the machine off, and it' wouldn't come back on for a minute or so.  Something is majorly wrong w/ that cable.    I work w/ serial stuff and USB -> serial cables all the time.   I've seen the issues w/ the cheap knockoff cables.  This is way worse.

I've got another USB cable coming w/ my UV-B5.   Just ordered one of the serial cables you listed as a failsafe.  I'll see what works.  Don't have a lot of hope for cheap USB cables since I've seen the issues.  Have better hopes for that cable.  

If you want to chuck your defective cable in the mail to me, I'll pop the casing apart and see if I can locate the issue.  Usually the issues you were talking about are a solder bridge...

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 4:42:09 PM EDT
[#11]
CHIRP didn't do it for me. I ended up using KG Commander.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Which radio were your trying to program?  Or, did you just not like Chirp?

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 4:54:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you want to chuck your defective cable in the mail to me, I'll pop the casing apart and see if I can locate the issue.  Usually the issues you were talking about are a solder bridge...

It went back to Amazon today.   I figured since it was brand new they could deal with it.  One of the advantages of ordering through them.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 5:55:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Well after taking the Technician practice test about a half-dozen times, I finally managed a passing score.

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 5:58:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Which daily build from Chirp should I use for the UV B6?
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Well after taking the Technician practice test about a half-dozen times, I finally managed a passing score.

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r504/yullose/untitled_zpse748afc6.jpg

Congratulations!  I know how that feels.  I take the practice tests about 3 or 4 times a day and can pass the test now.  I am taking the test on the 19th...

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Seriously, Art. You're doing it all wrong.  Take the general tests FIRST. when you get to the 90s then try the tech test and I'll bet you either pass it the first time or come damned close.

Then you just touch up the tech a little and you're GTG for both at the price of one.

Try it and you'll thank me down the road.

Both tests are very much alike and a General ticket opens big doors wide.

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 6:10:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't like CHIRP

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I got my VX-7R, its factory antenna was WAY better than the aftermarket one I bought. But I made this ground plane antenna and mount for about 40 bucks. I recieve some pretty decent stuff now!

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously, Art. You're doing it all wrong.  Take the general tests FIRST. when you get to the 90s then try the tech test and I'll bet you either pass it the first time or come damned close.

Then you just touch up the tech a little and you're GTG for both at the price of one.

My two biggest weaknesses are Math and electrical theory. I still manage to make a living working on electric forklifts though. (go figure)

I will look into your suggestion... but honestly just want that tech ticket ASAP so I can use the Kenwood 2m radios I have coming.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#21]
THATS AWESOME!

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you mean if someone actually took any type of electronics class or something in HS which I never did

Remember this number ....... 300

Ok, you remember that number I told you?

How many times does 50 go into 300?  6 ... 50 mhz in 6 meters.
How many times does 150 go into 300?  2 ... 150 mhz is 2 meters.
How many times does 30 go into 300?  10 ...  30 mhz is 10 meters.

Lets do that backward.

How many times does 6 go into 300? 50 times. 6 meters is 50 mhz.
How many times does 2 go into 300?  150 times. 2 meters 150 mhz
How many times does 10 go into 300?  30 times. 10 meters 30 mhz

Get it? Got it??  BUY THE SHIRT!

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 6:58:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I got my VX-7R, its factory antenna was WAY better than the aftermarket one I bought. But I made this ground plain antenna and mount for about 40 bucks. I recieve some pretty decent stuff now!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/n20junkie/771A94D3-6CA7-4250-8FA9-1F73E2A3214D-4528-000004C310BACC7D_zps2e094d4b.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/n20junkie/FF38F489-E957-4130-80DD-3F04EE3EDD8E-4528-000004C30B2FD1C5_zps2dad292b.jpg

Which aftermarket antenna did you buy that ended up being a failure? This is relevant to my interests because I am buying a handheld soon and the VX-7 is on my list.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 7:10:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got my VX-7R, its factory antenna was WAY better than the aftermarket one I bought. But I made this ground plain antenna and mount for about 40 bucks. I recieve some pretty decent stuff now!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/n20junkie/771A94D3-6CA7-4250-8FA9-1F73E2A3214D-4528-000004C310BACC7D_zps2e094d4b.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/n20junkie/FF38F489-E957-4130-80DD-3F04EE3EDD8E-4528-000004C30B2FD1C5_zps2dad292b.jpg

Which aftermarket antenna did you buy that ended up being a failure? This is relevant to my interests because I am buying a handheld soon and the VX-7 is on my list.

How much stress does that place on the boots of the vents? Odd question I know, but I replaced all mine

after one was leaking. First thing that popped into mind seeing your pic.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 7:30:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't like CHIRP  

I had to use chirp... I had zero luck with the UV-5R software... Chirp worked first try... I used the cable that I originaly got for my wouxun HT and had no issues... off course the drivers from Wouxun had already been installed.  I use a little program/ app called SetCOM... allows you to fool your computer and match the USB with com1, com2, com3 etc.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 7:33:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Congratulations!  I know how that feels.  I take the practice tests about 3 or 4 times a day and can pass the test now.  I am taking the test on the 19th...

Taking mine on the 11th. Practice test are > 90% now. Watch me fail the real test.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My two biggest weaknesses are Math and electrical theory. I still manage to make a living working on electric forklifts though. (go figure)

I will look into your suggestion... but honestly just want that tech ticket ASAP so I can use the Kenwood 2m radios I have coming.

Try this site. You can do random questions to your heart's content, and then also take entire tests. But I've been finding that by using such sites as a sole study guide I'm essentially memorizing the answers, which may help me pass the test, but doesn't give me a full understanding. So I also bought this book, which at least fleshes out the theory/nomenclature/rules/etc a bit more for each question.

I want to pass, but I also want to understand. I've been passing the practice tests regularly now.

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 7:41:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Taking mine on the 11th. Practice test are > 90% now. Watch me fail the real test.  

No way. You'll pass with flying colors!        Next week you'll be on the air and I'll still be waiting for the test.

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 7:53:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No way. You'll pass with flying colors!        Next week you'll be on the air and I'll still be waiting for the test.

One of my instructors has been doing ham radio since he was like 8. He told me you can take the test as many times as you need! Good luck, I'm taking it tomorrow, so we'll see

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate Arfcom.

Putting these away for the wife and I when camping.

Then got this used.

Got this Wed. and put in my truck.

I better not fail the Technician test Tuesday.

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't like CHIRP  

I had to use chirp... I had zero luck with the UV-5R software... Chirp worked first try... I used the cable that I originaly got for my wouxun HT and had no issues... off course the drivers from Wouxun had already been installed.  I use a little program/ app called SetCOM... allows you to fool your computer and match the USB with com1, com2, com3 etc.

Yeah, CHIRP was ok, the interface and all, but I don't have THAT many repeaters locally (just around 6), besides it was good practice to find the repeaters and calculate the offsets, and all the tones you need to access the said repeaters.

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate Arfcom.

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq314/Pacs100/801_zps52d152a1.jpg

Then got this used.

http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq314/Pacs100/802_zpse0f4f14a.jpg

http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/mobile/id-880h/img/product_photo_big.jpg

Sweet!

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought a Pryme RD-98 SMA, it was terrible. Maybe a bad antenna, maybe a bad design. But it sucked.

My vent is reinforced inside the roof and is super strong. With that being said is on 3/4 PVC, it will bend like a reed but wont hurt the house.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#33]
So which one is it now? UB-B5? I'm ready to order, but I see 6's and 7's....as a beginner novice newb, which one?
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 8:07:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate Arfcom.

Then got this used.

http://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/mobile/id-880h/img/product_photo_big.jpg

Dude...

And I don't want to be the hall monitor or anything, but if your wife isn't licensed, she can't use the second Baofeng unless it's a no bullshit emergency.  

The only unlicensed spectrum these things can broadcast on is FRS, and they're not legal by construction or certification for broadcast on those frequencies.  

I really tried to noodle out a legal way to do something like that with them for an unlicensed user.  Can't.  Don't think it's possible.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 8:14:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate Arfcom.

Then got this used.

Ha, Ha, Ha,
What the hell am I laughing about, just bought a Kenwood TM-V71A  to keep my HT company and I don't have my ticket either.
I think that they should rename this thread ' Only $45 to Enter the Crack-House'

Cheers,
JP

edit do to mistake
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

One of my instructors has been doing ham radio since he was like 8. He told me you can take the test as many times as you need! Good luck, I'm taking it tomorrow, so we'll see  

Can take it as many times as it takes - but check with the VE's at the session, they may have a limited amount of time available to be there, or depending on location they may need to be out by a certain time, etc... Not like these are huge hour long college exams or something, but sometimes they can be pretty limited on time and there might only be enough for 2 or 3 attempts, but usually they schedule enough time to get everyone through. I've seen both some very short VE sessions crammed in for various reasons, as well as some people that took a long time to finish

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:41:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate Arfcom.

Then got this used.

Ha, Ha, Ha,
What the hell am I laughing about, just bought a Kenwood TM-V71A  to keep my HT company and I don't have my ticket either.
I think that they should rename this thread ' Only $45 to Enter the Crack-House'

Cheers,
JP

edit do to mistake

Don't feel bad.
I spent $75 trying to get an old Motorola GM300 running... (To no avail) then spent $320 on a pair of Kenwood TM-281A's, programming software and Slim Jim antenna.
I need to pickup a decent power supply next so I can get the car battery out of my kitchen and back in the Corvette.  
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:45:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Got my Yaesu FT-60R today and am going to take the test tomorrow. Been playing with the radio all day. Other than the weather band, I've yet to hear another human voice. I did hear a little morse code though.

I live in the country and the closest 2 repeaters are 8 miles away. I sit pretty high up above the valley and think I can see one of the towers from here. I don't know, maybe people just don't use them around here.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:57:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Got my Yaesu FT-60R today and am going to take the test tomorrow. Been playing with the radio all day. Other than the weather band, I've yet to hear another human voice. I did hear a little morse code though. I live in the country and the closest 2 repeaters are 8 miles away. I sit pretty high up above the valley and think I can see one of the towers from here. I don't know, maybe people just don't use them around here.

the only morse code you are hearing on an FT60R (VHF/UHF FM) is a repeater ID'ing itself.  

by FCC regulation, amateur operators -- including repeaters -- have to self-identify every 10 minutes.  repeaters have either a small programmable board which beeps out the repeater callsign in morse code, or alternatively a voice synthesizer which does the same verbally (and these days, usually with more info -- like the current time, or whether the repeater is running on battery backup, etc).  

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

- Chirp only supports the new UV-B5 & UV-B6 in the DAILY builds, not in the stable release version.  I haven't encountered any issues, but using a daily build means there could be some bugs.

- When the cable is FULLY inserted into the radio, and programming, it will look like the radio is transmitting and/or receiving.  If it errors out, check that the plug is fully inserted into the radio; mine likes to get hung up on the port cover a miniscule but large enough amount for problems.

- With Chirp, you have to download from the radio before you can upload anything for the first time.  When you download, make certain you select the correct radio, UV-5R vs UV-B5 and correct COM port.

- There are numerous counterfeit cables using fake Prolific USB-Serial chipsets.  If you end up with one of these cables you MUST install the old version (v1.8?) of the driver BEFORE you connect the cable or Windows will disable the port until you remove the device in Device Manager.

- The known good USB cables come from Ed @ wouxun.us / importcommunications.com  OR from Kawamall.com.  It seems some people have had success with a few from Amazon, but I don't know which ones.

I downloaded and installed the latest version and it works.  Programmed the radio in about 10 seconds.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 11:09:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So which one is it now? UB-B5? I'm ready to order, but I see 6's and 7's....as a beginner novice newb, which one?

The UV-B5, if you want a second knob on top of the radio to click through your channels - or the UV-B6 if you'd rather have a LED flashlight than a second knob. In just about every other regard, they're identical.

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 11:11:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 11:13:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can take it as many times as it takes - but check with the VE's at the session, they may have a limited amount of time available to be there, or depending on location they may need to be out by a certain time, etc... Not like these are huge hour long college exams or something, but sometimes they can be pretty limited on time and there might only be enough for 2 or 3 attempts, but usually they schedule enough time to get everyone through. I've seen both some very short VE sessions crammed in for various reasons, as well as some people that took a long time to finish

Yeah, I was just reading about it. I'm gonna go tomorrow at 10 in the morning and we'll see

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I downloaded and installed the latest version and it works.  Programmed the radio in about 10 seconds.  Thanks!

Which one did you download?

Link Posted: 6/7/2013 11:24:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I hate Arfcom.
Then got this used.

Dang man that's motivated.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 11:31:52 PM EDT
[#46]
alright i got my UV-B6 in the mail..the charger has the normal american plug, but it says 220ac input, is that just a generic sticker they use or what? will i be alright to plug this thing in or will i let the smoke out of it??
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 11:41:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
alright i got my UV-B6 in the mail..the charger has the normal american plug, but it says 220ac input, is that just a generic sticker they use or what? will i be alright to plug this thing in or will i let the smoke out of it??

Plug it in without the radio inserted into the charging base. If it's working, you'll see the green LED on the front light up.

These chargers are funky - Some of them have a LED that glows red when the radio is inserted; others just turn a slightly yellowish shade of green.
Link Posted: 6/7/2013 11:45:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plug it in without the radio inserted into the charging base. If it's working, you'll see the green LED on the front light up.

These chargers are funky - Some of them have a LED that glows red when the radio is inserted; others just turn a slightly yellowish shade of green.

well im color blind but ill see what happens with out the radio in it...

ETA: alright i plugged it in and it lit up green i THINK, its also putting out 9v dc according to my fluke, so i assume its working..although on the bottom it says output: 10v dc..
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 12:26:03 AM EDT
[#49]
i should be able to listen to this local sheriffs shouldnt i??  154.72500 ,WQBA340 ,RM, 110.9 PL
Link Posted: 6/8/2013 12:29:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
i should be able to listen to this local sheriffs shouldnt i??  154.72500 ,WQBA340 ,RM, 110.9 PL

yes.

ar-jedi

Page / 54
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top