Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 54
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 8:36:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What do you guys recommend? I kinda like the Yaesu FT-450, but the FT-857D looks nice too.

Have ya considered the Elecraft KX-3?

Link Posted: 6/5/2013 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What do you guys recommend? I kinda like the Yaesu FT-450, but the FT-857D looks nice too.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/6521/kx3small.jpg

Yes, I have. I dunno about it though, I rather go with a brand name like Yaesu or Icom

Link Posted: 6/5/2013 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Man, this is getting expensive, but I'm enjoying the HT. I found the EMS, Fire, and Police frequencies, plus a bunch of repeaters in my area. I also modded the radio to open the 1.25 meters frequency, and I have a tri-band antenna coming in the mail

Also, I'm taking the test this coming Saturday! Wish me luck!

I know I can pass the Technician, and I'm going to try for General, I'm thinking getting something nice to transmit in the 6 meters band since it just open (I think I can put the antenna in the balcony, it'll fit just right, just about the only thing!). What do you guys recommend? I kinda like the Yaesu FT-450, but the FT-857D looks nice too.

I just recently bought the 857d....very neat radio...take a little playing with to find you way around on it...but it becomes easy

Cool! Right now is the front runner, since space is limited, and I was reading some bad reviews on the FT-450

Link Posted: 6/5/2013 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

normal folks talking about normal stuff.  

WARNING: What has been seen, cannot be unseen:

Yup, normal people...

Just one more way to encourage people to join the ham lifestyle, err hobby.
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 9:53:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup, normal people...

Now, that's my kind of group! I'm usually walking around the house butt naked

Link Posted: 6/5/2013 11:58:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Found some clubs in my AO (there are 3 ).  Been emailing them and they seem really willing to help out.  I'm going to a meeting tomorrow to get acquainted.
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I ordered the UV-B5 March 29th. All the ones I could find online all shipped out of Hong Kong. Estimated delivery of July 9th but my package is already in Chicago so I'm hoping I get it next week.
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I got a couple toys in the mail today. I need a busy frequency to listen to.
Any recommendations?

I recommend you look up the repeaters that are near you.  

That's it? Just tune in to that frequency?

here is one way to find repeaters.
http://www.artscipub.com/repeaters/

but i suggest you skip repeaters for a moment.

step through each of the following and see if you get something.  whatyaget?

162.400 MHz
162.425 MHz
162.450 MHz
162.475 MHz
162.500 MHz
162.525 MHz
162.550 MHz

eta
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/stations.php?State=CO

ar-jedi

I was just about to suggest that

Link Posted: 6/5/2013 5:00:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, normal people...

Link Posted: 6/5/2013 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Got a mobil for the truck.

Icom ID-880H VHF/UHF D-Star ready.

Link Posted: 6/5/2013 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, normal people...

holy derp.

i guess this is the price of admission in GD.  retards who surf the web looking for pictures of naked men and then post them as "evidence".

seriously, you don't just "happen" by web links which include male nudity and ham radio.
google returns 87,000,000 amateur radio-related links ahead of the one above.  

you like trainsets and imitation crabmeat -- i recall that from the ARFCOM thread regarding your now-infamous craigslist ad.
sorry for the interruption -- you can go back to surfing for naked men now.  enjoy your evening.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 9:14:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, I have. I dunno about it though, I rather go with a brand name like Yaesu or Icom  

Elecraft is a tier 1 "brand name" in ham radio-ville.

Mossberg and Remington both make shotguns.
Holland & Holland makes shotguns.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 9:21:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

ar-jedi

When I read his post I went --->

Link Posted: 6/5/2013 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ar-jedi

Well I'm sorry i don't know much about radios...WTF dude?

Link Posted: 6/5/2013 9:38:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ar-jedi

ok

Link Posted: 6/5/2013 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I read your post, I went --->

Because Elecraft is really good American made shit..  Well, American assembled shit.... Dude. No harm intended. Have a nice day.

Read the reviews, good stuff.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/10271

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6673

Link Posted: 6/5/2013 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When I read your post, I went --->

Because Elecraft is really good American made shit..  Well, American assembled shit.... Dude. No harm intended. Have a nice day.

Read the reviews, good stuff.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/10271

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6673

Ok, no problem.

Link Posted: 6/5/2013 10:01:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, my UV-5R came in today.  I've got it programmed so I can listen to some of the FRS channels, all of the repeaters I can find in this city and one of the nearby cities, and 2 of the NOAA channels for weather.   It's interesting.   I think I found a test session June 29th.  I should know more tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ok, no problem.  

my analogy above is actually a good one.  
like H&H, Elecraft is not in the high volume business; they address a niche market: snobby hams who want the best HF radio.  

that said, Elecraft makes "connoisseur's radios", not "price point radios".  the rigs they produce are known for outstanding receivers,
superb filtering options/schemes, and great performance for CW operations.  while not exactly bare bones they are certainly not
all-singing/all-dancing feature-laden setups; but the things they do, they do very, very well.

and if you thought the Colt and Larue fanbois were bad...

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 10:12:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ar-jedi

Don't take it personally. That's just the way ham radio operators are. It's one of the most technical hobbies and requires its members to know A LOT, so much so that when somebody comes along with a "rookie" question they get looked down upon. Hams like the one that derided you earlier tend to forget that they were new once, too. There is no reason to expect somebody brand new to shooting to know who Holland & Holland is when all they ever see at the local gun shop is Remington, Winchester, Marlin...
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ar-jedi

Don't take it personally. That's just the way ham radio operators are. It's one of the most technical hobbies and requires its members to know A LOT, so much so that when somebody comes along with a "rookie" question they get looked down upon. Hams like the one that derided you earlier tend to forget that they were new once, too. There is no reason to expect somebody brand new to shooting to know who Holland & Holland is when all they ever see at the local gun shop is Remington, Winchester, Marlin...

Yeah, I guess you are right.

Link Posted: 6/5/2013 10:26:49 PM EDT
[#22]
BTW ScooterInVegas, I wanted to put this in a new reply rather than editing it into my previous post: How long have you been a ham?
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Could I please get that info also
Thank you
Jim

Quoted:

Quoted:
got my tech last Dec and have one of the radios but have yet to figure out how to program it.  Anybody have a tutorial on a simple way to program?

IM your email, I will send you a video on programing the UV-B5.

Link Posted: 6/5/2013 10:57:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

ar-jedi

There goes the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 12:47:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well, my UV-5R came in today.  I've got it programmed so I can listen to some of the FRS channels, all of the repeaters I can find in this city and one of the nearby cities, and 2 of the NOAA channels for weather.   It's interesting.   I think I found a test session June 29th.  I should know more tomorrow.

For Your Listening (only!) Entertainment:

The talkies used by Wal-Mart employees are on the MURS and Motorola "Dot" channels:

MURS ch 1 - 151.820 MHz
MURS ch 2 - 151.880 MHz
MURS ch 3 - 151.940 MHz
MURS ch 4 - 154.570 MHz
MURS ch 5 - 154.600 MHz

Red Dot - 151.625 MHz
Blue Dot - 154.570 MHz (same as MURS ch 4)
Green Dot - 154.600 MHz (same as MURS ch 5)
Purple Dot - 151.955 MHz

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 1:06:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Hey guys, I have read this whole thread and I am still just as confused as when I started reading page one.

On one hand I see I can set it up to scan local emergency channels, I love that aspect. On another I see I can also listen in on FRS/GMRS channels, I like that as we use a few of those little talkies during outdoor activities.

Now, on to the meat and potatoes. I want to get myself and my father one for Father's Day. I can set it up and convey the benefits and then we can both practice and take our ham operators license. He already enjoys using a scanner for emergencies and eavesdropping on the police band. So this seems like a nice step.

My biggest question and something to still eludes me is this: I live in a smaller city (urban) and he and my mother live in the country about 17 miles away. I found 6 repeaters all within 3 miles of myself so I would like to know if I would be able to communicate with him on a regular basis (of course as soon as we both are licensed).

I guess I am still confused on this aspect cause I have seen some mention they are able to communicate with people in other states and even other countries, and then there is the one fellow who wanted one for marine use and was told he could only effectively see a 10-15 mile range on open water.

Again, I like this less expensive aspect to get started and would gladly pay more for better stuff, but as we all know, your better off to start small and work your way up.

I would be getting the Baofeng UV6 mentioned in the original post along with the programming cable to facilitate ease of use for programming. Or to clarify I haven't settled on any one particular unit, so if there is a slightly better option for similar pricing or just a little more, I am not opposed to spending just a little more to get my feet wet.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 1:26:16 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Hey guys, I have read this whole thread and I am still just as confused as when I started reading page one.

On one hand I see I can set it up to scan local emergency channels, I love that aspect. On another I see I can also listen in on FRS/GMRS channels, I like that as we use a few of those little talkies during outdoor activities.

Now, on to the meat and potatoes. I want to get myself and my father one for Father's Day. I can set it up and convey the benefits and then we can both practice and take our ham operators license. He already enjoys using a scanner for emergencies and eavesdropping on the police band. So this seems like a nice step.

My biggest question and something to still eludes me is this: I live in a smaller city (urban) and he and my mother live in the country about 17 miles away. I found 6 repeaters all within 3 miles of myself so I would like to know if I would be able to communicate with him on a regular basis (of course as soon as we both are licensed).

I guess I am still confused on this aspect cause I have seen some mention they are able to communicate with people in other states and even other countries, and then there is the one fellow who wanted one for marine use and was told he could only effectively see a 10-15 mile range on open water.

Again, I like this less expensive aspect to get started and would gladly pay more for better stuff, but as we all know, your better off to start small and work your way up.

I would be getting the Baofeng UV6 mentioned in the original post along with the programming cable to facilitate ease of use for programming. Or to clarify I haven't settled on any one particular unit, so if there is a slightly better option for similar pricing or just a little more, I am not opposed to spending just a little more to get my feet wet.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

It all depends on the elevation of the repeater antenna. I can easily hit a repeater at 17 miles with an HT on low power, but that antenna is on a mountain. We can also hit another mountain top 34 miles distant.

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 1:28:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Part of the confusion stems from the fact that these talkies can either be used point-to-point ("simplex") or with a repeater ("duplex").

The simplex range is pretty limited - Perhaps up to a dozen miles between two talkies with their original short antennas, or maybe up to several dozen miles with both talkies connected to larger external antennas.

However, when used with a repeater, the range of these talkies is only limited by the capabilities of the repeater you're using. Many repeaters have the ability to link together to cover larger areas, or to connect together over the internet for world-wide coverage. Also, most repeaters are located on high spots and use very good antennas, so they have good range and coverage, even without linking together.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 1:37:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You should have no problems hitting a repeater 3 miles away with your handheld, at the very least it should work if you're outside.  On your father's end, 17 miles to the repeater with a handheld radio and its stubby antenna is a crap shoot depending on the repeater antenna height, terrain, etc.  Your best bet is to just try it from his place after you're licensed.  If you can't make it then start looking at a decent external antenna mounted outside the house, above the roof line.  Terrain is such a big factor that it's impossible to give you some kind of rule of thumb like an antenna at X feet gives you Y miles, etc.  

As far as long distance communication goes with a handheld, what you're seeing people talk about is probably linked repeater systems.  Repeaters are linked (a number of different ways) via the internet over long distances.  So your little handheld only has to make a short trip to the repeater over the air, and that traffic from the other state or whatever is brought to the repeater via an internet link.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 1:56:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks to the last 3 posters y'all answered my questions quick and to the extent I was looking for.

This will still give us something to work for and study together for a little bonding moment, and also I know it wouldn't be a problem to utilize a larger antenna for my fathers HT. He could set it up as a base stationI assume.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 3:54:33 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Could I please get that info also

Thank you

Jim

Quoted:

IM your email, I will send you a video on programing the UV-B5.

Gladly. I just got home from shooting and don't have time tonight. Tomorrow is League night at the range so cant do it tomorrow. But I will upload the video to YouTube and send you the link Friday night. By the way, you sent me a 2X4 Call Sign. Scott

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 4:02:35 AM EDT
[#32]
tag
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 6:35:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Just ordered the Yaesu FT60-R. Signed up for the Technicians exam on 6/15.

What the hell... nothing like learning a new (and possibly valuable) skill. Plus it looks like it could be fun.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#34]
What's a good source for a reliable  serial (not usb) programming cable for the Baofeng radios.  I know it uses the Kenwood version.  I got a cable w/ my UV-5R, but it appears to be causing problems.   It has shut down one of my desktops and the radio appears to be trying to broadcast when I have used it.  It's not consistent though.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What's a good source for a reliable  serial (not usb) programming cable for the Baofeng radios.  I know it uses the Kenwood version.  I got a cable w/ my UV-5R, but it appears to be causing problems.   It has shut down one of my desktops and the radio appears to be trying to broadcast when I have used it.  It's not consistent though.

I'd steer away from the cheap knockoff ones

After some messing around I got mine to work, only to have they die at the next update

I just spent $25 (ash) and got one that actually works (ftdi chipset)
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, normal people...

Now, that's my kind of group! I'm usually walking around the house butt naked  

Yeah and you're always trying to get me to come over! I always ask, "why, what are you up to?" You then always tell me, "nothing, just walking around the house naked."
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd steer away from the cheap knockoff ones

After some messing around I got mine to work, only to have they die at the next update

I just spent $25 (ash) and got one that actually works (ftdi chipset)

That was my point.  I'm looking for a link for one that works instead of trying them and finding out they don't work.   I've already got functional USB->Serial adapters, so a normal serial cable will also work.   Suggestions?  I'm too new to this if ash was supposed to tell me where to go.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I ordered the UV-B5 March 29th. All the ones I could find online all shipped out of Hong Kong. Estimated delivery of July 9th but my package is already in Chicago so I'm hoping I get it next week.

Wewt!

Processed through USPS Sort Facility

Jun-06-13, 00:04 AM, CHICAGO, IL 60701

Depart USPS Sort Facility

Jun-06-13, 00:00 AM, CHICAGO, IL 60701

Processed Through Sort Facility

Jun-05-13, 14:34 PM, ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS)

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

Processed Through Sort Facility

Jun-03-13, 23:16 PM, SHANGHAI EMS

Acceptance

Jun-02-13, 00:15 AM

Coming pretty quick.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Which OS is your computer running?

Are you using Baofeng's programming software, or CHIRP?
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#40]

Another reason to have an amateur radio?

The .gov and Verizon
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which OS is your computer running?

Are you using Baofeng's programming software, or CHIRP?

3 of them are on windows 7 64 bit.  One is on 8.    I've got a daily build of chirp and baofengs software.  Have tried both and tried it on all 4 systems.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 2:18:46 PM EDT
[#42]
I received my programming cable in the mail today.  I downloaded (But haven't unzipped) the Chirp 0.3.1 win 32 software.  I can't find the programming software for the UV B6 radio.  The software I see is for the 5R.

Should I just use the chirp software and forget the UV B6 software (That I can't find)?  I installed the Baofeng Windows USB driver software and that installed OK.

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 2:42:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I received my programming cable in the mail today.  I downloaded (But haven't unzipped) the Chirp 0.3.1 win 32 software.  I can't find the programming software for the UV B6 radio.  The software I see is for the 5R.

Should I just use the chirp software and forget the UV B6 software (That I can't find)?  I installed the Baofeng Windows USB driver software and that installed OK.  

The Baofeng software for the UV-B5 and UV-B6 is about halfway down this page. It's the same software for both radios.

The CHIRP daily build didn't like my B5 - said that it was an "unsupported radio". Apparently, this is a known issue. For this reason, I'd recommend using Baofeng's software instead.

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Baofeng software for the UV-B5 and UV-B6 is about halfway down this page. It's the same software for both radios.

The CHIRP daily build didn't like my B5 - said that it was an "unsupported radio". Apparently, this is a known issue. For this reason, I'd recommend using Baofeng's software instead.

I can't go to that page.  I get the following message:

Unable to connect    

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.baofengradio.com.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few

moments.

If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network

connection.

If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure

that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#45]
I started the chirp program and I was playing around with it.  I clicked on the "Radio" tab and then "Query data source".  Then I selected "Repeaterbook" and it downloaded some frequencies into the program.  I can't get the radio to communicate with the computer or program though.
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 2:50:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Unable to connect

It loads just fine for me, in either Firefox or Internet Explorer.

Here's a direct link to download the software:

http://www.baofengradio.com/UploadFiles/20121004122251143.rar

Quoted: I can't get the radio to communicate with the computer or program though.

Try using the DOWNLOAD FROM RADIO function instead. When the RADIO dialogue window appears, you can change the COM port setting and radio brand/model settings.

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 2:55:57 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unable to connect

That doesn't work either.  I wonder if my firewall is blocking it?

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Unable to connect

Quoted: I can't get the radio to communicate with the computer or program though.

Try using the DOWNLOAD FROM RADIO function instead. When the RADIO dialogue window appears, you can change the COM port setting and radio brand/model settings.

The computer isn't recognizing the radio.  The only com port listed in the chirp program in 3.  The radio and model numbers are there but only for the UV 5R.  
ETA:  The chirp program I have is:  CHIRP 0.3.1  

GTK 2.24.10

PyGTK 2.24.0

Python 2.7.2

Link Posted: 6/6/2013 3:05:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Are the 5R, B5, and B6 radios essentially the same?  Do they use the same programming software (Version, etc)?
Link Posted: 6/6/2013 3:37:52 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't go to that page. I get the following message:

Unable to connect

That doesn't work either. I wonder if my firewall is blocking it?

My Malwarebytes likes to block that site for some reason. Disable the web blocking portion of it if you are using it or whatever you are using.
Page / 54
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top