Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 54
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
SHTF?   If you want to use your radio in a SHTF or WROL situation, what is the FCC going to say about that? You want to stay legal, or are you OK with guerrilla operations?

Yep - It's true that during a life-threatening emergency, using a ham radio without a license isn't illegal.

However, having the license is still important, because it teaches you how to effectively communicate with other hams - ideally, before the SHTF.
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 11:24:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I bow down to those over at the ham forum here on arfcom.  I am new to the hobby, but did a ton of research and maybe I can help a few here with my simple mindedness.  

I lived in south Florida when it was hit by hurricane Andrew.  I also was in Tulsa for the ice storm that knocked out power for a week. I live in a hurricane zone.  I sometimes spend weeks in the woods way out of cellphone range.  My setup is designed to support my needs in those situations.

I have one of the Baofeng UV-5.  Been a handy radio and its dirt cheap.  5 watts of power, I can hit the local repeaters no problem. I installed an after market $5 antenna.  I would guesstimate it doubled the range, I can talk to a buddy 2 miles away, but we are in the city.  $50  

I bought the Kenwood 281 listed above.  $135

I bought this antenna for $20.  Its flexible and can be rolled up and hung from about anywhere.  http://www.2wayelectronix.com/N9TAX-Original-VHF-Slim-Jim-antenna-vhf-slim.htm  Another $10 for a cable.  

I then built one of these.  Cost about $10 to build, seems to work as well as the one above.  http://www.kb6nu.com/21-things-to-do-build-an-antenna/

I bought a second hand server power supply off ebay to power my Kenwood.  Model was a DPS-500 and will do 12V @ 41 amps. $10.

All of the above fits in a Pelican  1450 case.  $100 (ouch).

I also have lipo batteries from my r/c airplanes for power as needed.  

So for around $325 I have a waterproof setup that I can carry anywhere.  Sitting in my man cave in Corpus Christi, TX with the antenna on a 10 foot PVC pole I can pick up traffic from a repeater over 150 miles away but that is a straight shot over water.  50 or so miles should be pretty doable.  

Link Posted: 5/26/2013 11:30:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I've asked a couple times for a dumbed down HAM FAQ. Like, buy this radio hand set and if you are within X miles of a repeater you can get your message out if the phones go down. Just talk down to me and spend my money....please.
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Will the unit in the OP go 8 miles? Flat ground. Half trees and half rice fields.
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 11:44:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Just looked up my local HAM club....are these guys going to be weird? Also will they be okay with my limited interest for backpacking/shtf?
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 11:49:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
SHTF?   If you want to use your radio in a SHTF or WROL situation, what is the FCC going to say about that? You want to stay legal, or are you OK with guerrilla operations?

It's happened.

Amateur Radio in WWII

FCC regs allow just about anything in a "life or limb" emergency.
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 11:53:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Just looked up my local HAM club....are these guys going to be weird? Also will they be okay with my limited interest for backpacking/shtf?

They shouldnt care

They dont need to know your reasoning in getting into ham.

Link Posted: 5/26/2013 11:53:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Will the unit in the OP go 8 miles? Flat ground. Half trees and half rice fields.

If you can't hit a ham repeater that's just 8 miles away over flat terrain, you're probably doing something seriously wrong.
Link Posted: 5/26/2013 11:54:44 PM EDT
[#9]
OST.....
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can't hit a ham repeater that's just 8 miles away over flat terrain, you're probably doing something seriously wrong.

So that's a yes... Sweet. Guess what my brother is getting for his Bday?
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:03:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

This thread should be moved to the "Ham Radio" section.

I disagree.  I haven't considered HAM Radio until this thread.  This was a great idea to post it here so those of us get some exposure to this hobby.  Now we can go to the HAM Radio Forum to check things out and get more info.

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Ham talkies have gotten dirt-cheap in recent years, thanks mostly to the entry of several Chinese manufacturers.

The Baofeng UV-B5 is the latest example: It delivers very respectable performance on two of the most popular VHF/UHF ham bands (plus coverage of a lot of other services) for less than 45 bucks - and that price includes a 2000 mAH Li-Ion battery, drop-in battery charger, flexible antenna, and shipping charges.

http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4519/baofenguvb5.jpg

Skib's Advice: If you've ever had even the slightest interest in ham radio (either for SHTF communications or casual use), get one. You won't regret it.

(User reviews here.)

Anyplace in the USA that sells these?

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Back pain.  Drink whiskey.  Read arfcom.  Spend money. Dammit.  
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:15:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Might just get one of those, thanks for posting OP. Gonna look at the tech license also. Not looking to spend a lot to get into it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:21:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The Yaesu FT-60R is a rugged, well-proven dual-band talkie.

Several hundred user reviews here.

Quoted:
I just bought one of these, a mobile unit, much more power but requires a 12V source and antenna.  

http://www.mtcradio.com/kenwood-tm-281a-144-mhz-mobile-with-free-shipping/

Awesome, thanks guys.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:22:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Might just get one of those, thanks for posting OP. Gonna look at the tech license also. Not looking to spend a lot to get into it.
Good plan

Many antennas can be built on the cheap that work really well.

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:31:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What if I'm willing to spend a bit more for better quality/features?

Say, around $150.

The Yaesu FT-60R is a rugged, well-proven dual-band talkie.

Several hundred user reviews here.

I probably should have purchased one of those instead of my VX8R.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:42:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Interesting.

Say, around $150.

I just bought one of these, a mobile unit, much more power but requires a 12V source(aka car battery ) and antenna.  

I had one of those in my Jeep. With a Comet 5/8th wave antenna on the Jeep. I could from this location( http://tinyurl.com/pzgt9n8 ) in Dallas, hit the repeaters in Waco, TX ( http://tinyurl.com/pzgt9n8 ) and McKinney, TX ( http://tinyurl.com/pzgt9n8 ).
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:47:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:48:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:54:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Took it up as a new hobby after cell service was knocked out for a week. Repeaters around here are very disappointing. Its all full of 65+ y/os who go apeshit if you dont follow their protocols to a T and will ONLY talk about their radio gear. Oh well atleast I have powerful walkie talkies for camping

Get on there and talk. Just stay legal. Who cares if they're pissed, they all be dead of old age soon enough.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:56:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

$45!  Jeeeeeezzzz!

How often do trains wake you up at night time?

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:57:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Wish I could get an HF that cheap
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:58:33 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Why? So only the people who are interested in Ham Radios will see it?

There is a very good reason for it, but I'm sure you wouldn't understand.

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 1:00:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Interesting.

Say, around $150.

I just bought one of these, a mobile unit, much more power but requires a 12V source and antenna.  

Ima tag this thread....good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 1:02:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 1:08:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Interesting.

Say, around $150.

That is a stupidly-good deal for a name-brand 65 watt mobile rig.

Kenwood does 100 percent awesome ham gear.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 1:18:29 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Well it won't be getting moved then.

Now how did I know you were going to say that.

edit: thanks for proving my point.

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 1:22:04 AM EDT
[#30]
What are the differences between the b5 and r5? I only ask because i have a gift card for amazon and amazon prime, but they only carry r5
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 1:35:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What are the differences between the b5 and r5

The UV-5R is an earlier design that has some performance shortcomings in the receiver section (less sensitivity, and less resistance to overloading from strong off-channel signals).  Also, by most accounts, the flexible antenna doesn't perform as well as the one that is supplied with the UV-B5.

However, larger Li-Ion battery packs are readily available for the UV-5R, as well as battery cases that accept standard AA and AAA cells.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 1:50:03 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's the point of hamming?

It's bulletproof communication, come hell or high water.

Since it doesn't rely on infrastructure or the whims of governments, it remains usable when most other methods of communication fail.

Quoted:

How are these different from the UV-5Rs?

MUCH better performance. The B5 version is newer, and corrects most of the flaws in the 5R version.

You might want to rethink that whole "whims of governments" thing, very easily jammed.

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 1:50:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since it doesn't rely on infrastructure or the whims of governments, it remains usable when most other methods of communication fail.

Quoted:

MUCH better performance. The B5 version is newer, and corrects most of the flaws in the 5R version.

Figures,  I just bought a pair of UV-5R's about a month ago
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 2:07:08 AM EDT
[#34]
I've pretty much decided to pick one of those up just because I can.

My other rig is a TH-F6a, so the baofeng will obviously end up being a beater/backup/throw it in the truck rig.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 2:22:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You might want to rethink that whole "whims of governments" thing, very easily jammed.  

Lol

No.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 2:33:41 AM EDT
[#36]
tag
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 2:33:56 AM EDT
[#37]
So why do you need a licence to talk on a radio? And will black helicopters come to get me if I talk on my radio without one?
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 2:36:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

This thread should be moved to the "Ham Radio" section.

Lighten up Francis. I would never have seen it there. I am gonna order one of these.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 2:45:59 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm a Tech class.  Was going to General class but didn't want to spend the money to get into HF.  I use a http://www.wouxun.com/Two-Way-Radio/kg-uvd1P.htm

Fun.

Also, to the dude that said easily jammed, haha, you go ahead and try that.

I got into the hobby because:

It teaches you about shit

Science.  Bitches love science

Emergency communications are more important than having tons of ammo and not knowing what's going on around you

Cell phones and land lines don't work in an emergency

I have a call sign, bitches love call signs

The test was EASY.  Just remember they MIX up the answers so you have to study a test online that mixes the answers up otherwise you may get screwed

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 2:51:18 AM EDT
[#40]
My FIL has been begging me to get into ham radio for about a year, said he would work with me on morse code and anything I needed to know he would teach me

I really haven't had time but one of the radios in the OP looks like it would be cool to have a small portable

So this small hand held radio will go all over the world or do you need a larger base radio for that?
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 3:08:31 AM EDT
[#41]
A week ago my brother gave me our grandpa's old single-band handheld. It won't even connect to the repeater in my town. He's got the same Chinese unit.

He had me download the ham study app on my phone, I aced the first 10 questions. Mostly educated guesses. He's promised radios for anyone in my family who gets his license.

Would having a license help with trucking? I drive nights, either 100 or 500 miles round trip, and if it would be helpful to listen in on repeaters for traffic info, that's even better.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 3:09:14 AM EDT
[#42]
dammit why did I read this thread.

Now I'm out $40
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 3:16:15 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

My FIL has been begging me to get into ham radio for about a year, said he would work with me on morse code and anything I needed to know he would teach me

I really haven't had time but one of the radios in the OP looks like it would be cool to have a small portable

So this small hand held radio will go all over the world or do you need a larger base radio for that?

Dude you don't need to learn Morse.  Also, yes, you can make a satellite Yagi to hit them if you want.  But, you're gonna want a HF rig for that whole talk to strangers in the world.

You know the biggest source of motivation was a "secret" guy I'm not supposed to mention, but he's out in Arfland behind the scenes helping people out.  That and I wanted to know what the fuck Piccolo was talking about when he posts in the HAM forum.  Seemed like mumbojumbo to me at first, but understanding the rules and etiquette really makes it all understandable.  

Like this from Piccolo's French Connection Thread:

"He actually told the entire pileup to stop while he worked QRP stations. He also told the guy that walked on me he was QRM and he wasn't going to log him and said that if anyone walked on the QRP stations he would simply go QRT for the night. "

(Translation:  Told everyone that was packing huge power to stfu while he worked the low power crew, some guy butted in and the dude Piccolo was talking to told that dude he was fucking up his mojo and if those high power guys didn't stfu for real he would just quit for the night)

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 4:10:22 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

So why do you need a licence to talk on a radio? And will black helicopters come to get me if I talk on my radio without one?

This radio transmits in the amateur bands.  Unlike CB or MURS, amateur bands are regulated and limited to licensed users.

I don't think the FCC needs black helicopters.  The amateur community makes sport of "foxhunting" illegal users...the FCC goes in with a forfeiture order and cleans things up.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 4:34:32 AM EDT
[#45]
If SHTF, is FEMA going to be handing out citations for unauthorized / unlicensed use?

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 4:37:15 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

If SHTF, is FEMA going to be handing out citations for unauthorized / unlicensed use?

If SHTF bro do you even radio?  These things aren't turn on and work like off the shelf radios.

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 5:28:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I've asked a couple times for a dumbed down HAM FAQ. Like, buy this radio hand set and if you are within X miles of a repeater you can get your message out if the phones go down. Just talk down to me and spend my money....please.

i wrote this just for you:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/604477_Ham_Radio_101.html

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 5:53:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

amateur/ham radio is a very diverse and broad hobby, not unlike firearms.  for example, are you interested in cowboy action shooting?  maybe, maybe not.  your local folks may include backpackers or they may be "contesters" (folks who are involved in a competitive aspects of radio) -- it simply depends on the makeup of the club.  

that said, many amateur radio folks are "outdoorsy" types, myself included.  i would rather operate from a remote location interesting to me rather than simply being at home. in fact there are many ham radio clubs that arrange "expeditions" to islands or lighthouses or ships for the express purpose of operating from a unique location.  that said, nothing says (other than a common interest or perhaps some technical help) that you have to be in a "club".  you may be quite able to go it alone if the local clubs is not your kind of folks.  but you will find backpackers who are hams that much is for sure.

here's a video you will probably find interesting...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZOehMEUBS4

note that the individual above has a specific mode of operating (using morse code) but there are many options here, not just morse.  you can even bring a small laptop or iPad and "text" long (very long) distances using ham radio.  

and you don't need a lot of power to do it...
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/654928__ARCHIVED_THREAD____WSPR_Experiments_Using_Ultra_Low_Power_____SUCCESS___.html

also, google "DXpedition" for some cool stuff.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DX-pedition

Link Posted: 5/27/2013 6:35:37 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 7:30:09 AM EDT
[#50]
Ah hell, I'm in. I need a new hobby anyways.
Page / 54
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top