PSA
Member Login

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:09:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/21/2016 9:38:39 AM EDT by Harlikwin]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By YosemiteBlam:
Kurzweil is great. The Law of Accelerating returns is a good read. I recommend his book "The Singularity is Near" as well. According to him we're in the upward curve of exponential technological growth. Picture the difference between the years 1400 to 1500. Or 1700 to 1800. Not a lot changed. But from 1900 to 2000... Holy crap.   The next 100 years will be equal to around 20,000 years of growth. It's insane to think about.  
View Quote

Except he's totally full of shit. I'm surprised it just flow out of his eyes and ears. He's a world class bullshitter to be sure, but most of this so called "predictions" have been proven to be false over and over again. And I love the games he plays when he's wrong, but he tries to weasel it into a win. His only claim to fame is that he tries to apply Moores law to everything else with hillariously predicatble results (yup, it doesn't apply, hell it doesn't really apply to computers much anymore).
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:10:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By llanero:
I wouldn't be surprised by that at all.  Cell immortality is doable and nearly within our reach.

Just what the fucking world needed.
View Quote

There is a name for immortal cells. And that word is Cancer... Have fun...
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:15:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:18:26 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:29:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MarkNH:

When you can live forever the speed of light is no longer a limiting factor in migrating to other worlds.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Beast666:
World is already overpopulated.  Don't need people living longer.

When you can live forever the speed of light is no longer a limiting factor in migrating to other worlds.

That depends.
Are we still wholly biological creatures? Then we still need to eat, drink and breathe. You'd need a lot of consumables for an interstellar journey. So, your cells may live longer, but they'll die when they don't get oxygen. Being "immortal" doesn't mean you can't be killed.

If we're mechanical beings, then we can survive a lot longer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:31:08 AM EDT
Originally Posted By GreenBastard:
Imagine the worst dictator this world has ever had, reigning for eternity.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 4:48:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FlashHole:
LOL.... We can't even keep people from getting cancer.   I have zero faith in our ability to conquer death.
View Quote

No ....but you can postpone it for a Very Long Time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:30:57 PM EDT
Everyone will starve waiting on someone else to feed them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:50:50 PM EDT
Trouble is with this "futurist" living in a bubble egghead theory is he's not taking into account the reverse societal de-evolution "culture rot" that is taking place due to a controlled media, politics and mass migration from the 3rd world's failed people societies and cultures (they failed for a reason through out history).

If anything life expectancy will begin decline sharply on average about that time of 2029 due to "demographic changes" unless we make massive changes politically and in media control. Much like in the 1960's no one expected the culture rot we have today which led to the end of manned spaceflight in order to pay for free phones and free cradle to grave care for" baby mammas" and their off spring (loss of productive families).

By now we were supposed to have flying cars and a moon and mars base as predicted by futurists several decades ago. Instead we will loose flush toilet technology in 50-100 years, much less be living forever. Course telling the truth like that is non-PC and would be shut down in modern academia and the media which of course illustrates my points of why we will fail not flourish unless massive changes are made.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:54:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Smash47:
Trouble is with this "futurist" living in a bubble egghead theory is he's not taking into account the reverse societal de-evolution "culture rot" that is taking place due to a controlled media, politics and mass migration from the 3rd world's failed people societies and cultures (they failed for a reason through out history).

If anything life expectancy will begin decline sharply on average about that time of 2029 due to "demographic changes" unless we make massive changes politically and in media control. Much like in the 1960's no one expected the culture rot we have today which led to the end of manned spaceflight in order to pay for free phones and free cradle to grave care for" baby mammas" and their off spring (loss of productive families).

By now we were supposed to have flying cars and a moon and mars base as predicted by futurists several decades ago. Instead we will loose flush toilet technology in 50-100 years, much less be living forever. Course telling the truth like that is non-PC and would be shut down in modern academia and the media which of course illustrates my points of why we will fail not flourish unless massive changes are made.
View Quote

Medieval living for the win!

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:56:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/21/2016 5:59:38 PM EDT by waterglass]
Yeah, I think he is right.

Seriously.

If not in in 2029, within the century.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:57:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Chokey:

no thanks
View Quote

Right?

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 5:59:24 PM EDT
Apparently he hasn't heard of Obamacare.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:00:59 PM EDT
I'd be surprised if we were not in the early stages to figuring out how to upload conciseness to computers.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:02:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By beardog30:
I'd be surprised if we were not in the early stages to figuring out how to upload conciseness to computers.
View Quote

Do I still have to argue with people about the fallacy of free will once we accomplish this?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:13:52 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Choking_Hazard:

Do I still have to argue with people about the fallacy of free will once we accomplish this?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Choking_Hazard:

That's deep broseph.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 6:18:33 PM EDT
View Quote

A couple years back, Johns Hopkins (I think) published a paper on how they had figured out hardware to wetware removable memory.  No idea if they had the programming or if it was just the refined concept of jamming something into grey matter though.

Point is, the human brain is just an insanely complex electrical system.  It makes sense that after some point in technological advancement that you'd be able to run the human brain in simulation or as AI.  A massive ethical and legal clusterfuck will come immediately after though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:43:50 PM EDT
I have read some of Kurzweil's work.  While he has been disturbingly accurate on the magnitude of technological change, his projections have a critical "glitch" in thinking.  The ideas assume that, if we can measure something (natural event or function) and create a mathematical/ computational model, then we can control that event.  At certain levels of magnitude that is just not true. e.g. Consider a 30 meter ocean wave, or tsunami.  Some of us will live surprisingly long lives but not 300 years or forever.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:46:03 PM EDT
Think I will watch Highlander again tonight.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:14:11 PM EDT
it would really make compounding interest much more important than it already is in society. You damn sure wouldn't be on the wrong side of that polemic
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:16:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Headless_Ned:
Another problem of getting rid of dying by natural causes is that your chances of a violent death go up exponentially.

Death does not like to be cheated.
View Quote

that is the goddamn truth. Conflicts of interests turn into violence eventually when a population runs out of room to expand in. Human populations have always been mostly limited by War famine and disease.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:18:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MotorMouth:
Live forever? Awesome!  

What's the catch?

Oh, I have to drink the blood of innocents?
View Quote

actually, analogously speaking, that would almost have to be true
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:20:11 PM EDT
I just want to live long enough to fight the Progressives and their brown shirts.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:20:53 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Screechjet1:

What makes you think you're not a sim right now?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Screechjet1:
Originally Posted By dog-meat:
If I can't get the wetware to last forever, I'd settle for having nano-machines, right before my death, disassemble my brain molecule by molecule and build a map that can be run as a simulation in a giant quantum computer.

What makes you think you're not a sim right now?

"What if I told you..."
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:27:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/23/2016 3:55:35 AM EDT by JSmithXYY]
Originally Posted By Smash47:

View Quote

Disgenics.

Idiocracy

Stupid genes do not care that they are inferior, all they care about is securing the resources they need to reproduce themselves and out compete other genes, even though in doing so they undermine the welfare state on which they rely, which they are adapted to thrive in.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:28:41 PM EDT
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TerribleTom:
Originally Posted By Chokey:
no thanks

Right?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/4e0c5b3c681615d2d44c6777fc0c2e76/tumblr_miklc6qI5e1rzxujso1_500.gif

what is that from?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:31:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRegulator:

The promises they will make will change your mind.

A new "body" will be offered.

Watch the anime flick called Ghost in the shell. The transhuman/ machine

Goodies will be amazing.
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By PNWRN:

Oh goody.

I get to be 90 years old forever...somehow I'm not exactly thrilled at the idea.

Goodies will be amazing.
Mmmmm..... the major.

Also Optical Camouflage, Combat Prosthetic Bodies, and wifi in my head. But Cyber Brain Sclerosis is a bitch.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:33:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Skillshot:

Human progress would grind to a halt.
View Quote
Or goes into overdrive since we might be able to seed the stars with humanity. If we can get this going and even wih our slow as tech, send world ships to other stars. Hell yeah!

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:05:42 AM EDT
My soul is already immortal
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:45:31 AM EDT
Yeah right.

Where's my flying car bitch?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:29:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By GreenBastard:
Imagine the worst dictator this world has ever had, reigning for eternity.
View Quote

Pretty sure bullets to the face will still be terminal
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:53:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:
Mmmmm..... the major.  

Also Optical Camouflage, Combat Prosthetic Bodies, and wifi in my head. But Cyber Brain Sclerosis is a bitch.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:

Oh goody.

I get to be 90 years old forever...somehow I'm not exactly thrilled at the idea.

Goodies will be amazing.
Mmmmm..... the major.  

That's cool, After I die just make me into the real deal RoboCop! I'm down with that!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:50:25 AM EDT
Originally Posted By FlyingGorilla:
Link in case embed fails.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jtpf8N5IDE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtpf8N5IDE
View Quote

Who wants to live forever?

In the end, there can be only one.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 6:56:09 AM EDT
Why? Unless you can lock yourself into a fairly young age, the inevitable physical decline will simply make your older years a matter of sitting the clock out waiting to go at an ever-distant age
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:16:57 AM EDT

Goodies will be amazing.
View All Quotes

Oh goody.

Goodies will be amazing.
Yeah, but here is the catch.

Unless they are talking about a physical brain transplant, there is no guarantee that if the information stored in your brain is transferred to a new body or a giant data center that it is actually your and not just a copy of you, with the real you dying when you brain is destroyed.

Its the whole nerd debate about teleportation machines in scifi.  What if Scotty is not transporting people but rather killing them and making copies every time he "beams them up"?

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:21:40 AM EDT

Just reinstall the backup, you might lose the most recent memories depending on when you last synced your brain.
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By clickclickBOOM:

You will die. Accidents will happen to everyone given enough time. Even if you have repair nanites keeping you fit and young, if I put you in a wood chipper they might put your body back together, but wouldn't "you" and your memories be dead?

Just reinstall the backup, you might lose the most recent memories depending on when you last synced your brain.
Again, its the whole debate about the nature of existence. Is a copy of you really you? Or did you die when your original body was destroyed and now there is a copy that thinks it is you, but is not.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:23:58 AM EDT
We are connecting to a critical point.  Computers will always be sociopaths because they have no emotions.  Neuropsychology shows more evidence every year that emotions are critical to assembly and developement of perception as well as social interaction.  A society with greater and greater percentages of cyborgs will have a larger percentage of sociopaths. Some fights may be centuries old, with the same actors.  Imagine Nazi cyborgs prowling NYC in  2016.  Way beyond the book; The Boys from Brazil. (I will help with the new movie)
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:36:48 AM EDT
Ray Kurzweil says a lot of things
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:39:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By fatalerror113:

Unless they are talking about a physical brain transplant, there is no guarantee that if the information stored in your brain is transferred to a new body or a giant data center that it is actually your and not just a copy of you, with the real you dying when you brain is destroyed.

Its the whole nerd debate about teleportation machines in scifi.  What if Scotty is not transporting people but rather killing them and making copies every time he "beams them up"?

View All Quotes

Oh goody.

Goodies will be amazing.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:41:27 AM EDT

Again, its the whole debate about the nature of existence. Is a copy of you really you? Or did you die when your original body was destroyed and now there is a copy that thinks it is you, but is not.

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By clickclickBOOM:

You will die. Accidents will happen to everyone given enough time. Even if you have repair nanites keeping you fit and young, if I put you in a wood chipper they might put your body back together, but wouldn't "you" and your memories be dead?

But here's a catch....

Every seven to te year, every cell in our body has been replaced. I am not the original me from when I was born.

But you still will not get me on a Star Trek Transporter. FUCK THAT!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:03:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By frugal_prepper:
We are connecting to a critical point.  Computers will always be sociopaths because they have no emotions.  Neuropsychology shows more evidence every year that emotions are critical to assembly and developement of perception as well as social interaction.  A society with greater and greater percentages of cyborgs will have a larger percentage of sociopaths. Some fights may be centuries old, with the same actors.  Imagine Nazi cyborgs prowling NYC in  2016.  Way beyond the book; The Boys from Brazil. (I will help with the new movie)
View Quote

just because someone is a cyborg doesn't mean that be emotional parts of the human mind or not still going to be there.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 12:07:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By quick2k3:
Shit....gonna need more ammo.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 2:26:08 PM EDT
A cyborg may still have a human brain and emotions. The interaction of machine or electronic code with neurons is new science. (not just EEEg monitoring which has been done for decades).  The synthesized output of a digital plus biological brain would be as unpredictable as the long term evolution of genetically modified plants and  wild plants (or animals).
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top