All of the above, except Guns n Roses

and Red Fang.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Because metal deserves 2 pages
ETA: sumbitch you snuck me
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#3]
By the way, this thread is useless if all we do is type band names.

Doin it right:

and shameless self promotion:

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 10:17:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Opeth is awesome

The Grand Conjuration is one of my all time favorites. I watched a "2 part" concert of theirs from overseas once that was pretty freaking cool. The first half was all mellow type songs and then the second half was all out metal to it's finest.

Love me some old Accept too

camaro

Sounds like Damnation and Deliverance

I was just talking to some guys and apparently TGC as it's come to be known is a hated song by the Opeth fan base along with Porcelain Heart, who knew...

Fuck 'em, I LOVE The Grand Conjuration

Yeah I know right. I was surprised, I never knew there was so much hate for that song. They kept complaining about transitions being junk and cut and paste riffs from different songs and what not.

I dunknow, I like it... And Porcelain Heart

I'm a big Opeth fan, and love those songs.

BUT, I didn't think much of their latest prog album.  And their last few albums have been flat and formulaic.  They have two awesome songs and the rest is filler on those albums.  And even the awesome ones, you pretty much know exactly what's gonna happen because they are set in their formula now.

Blackwater Park was their best IMO.

I think Opeth is one of the best "newer" bands. I absolutely love Heritage! Damnation is great too. The Lotus Eater, Harlequin Forest, Hessian Peel and Ghost of Perdition are all great songs. I just can take an entire song of Michaels growling.

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Candlemass

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 10:46:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Currently listening to:

Lamb of God
Gojira
Minushuman
Down
Kingdom of Sorrow
All That Remains
In Flames
The Sword

If you're a metal fan, ignore the pre-requisites, Pantera, Sepultura, Motorhead, etc.
Any other good recommendations?

Soilwork
Solution .45
Scar Symmetry
Mercenary
Trivium
Children of Bodom
Still Remains

Link Posted: 10/5/2012 11:41:10 PM EDT
[#8]
GWAR before 2000
King Diamond/ Merciful Fate
Motorhead
Antiseen
Texas Hippie Coalition
Suicidal Tendencies
Venom
Early Mudvayne
Danzig
Pantera
Damage Plan
WASP
Judas Priest both the Halford and Owen eras
Genitorturers before they started sounding industrial
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 4:57:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Old Man's Child
Dawn of Ashes
Dimmu Borgir  (the best)
Enslaved
Behemoth
Belphegor
Anaal Nathrakh
Chthonic

Just to name a few.

oh, evidence

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:24:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cradle of filth

Dimmu Borgir

Dominus

Volbeat (Had to add it since lead singer once was in Dominus.)

we can hang out.

Your avitar gives me nightmares (and if I remember correctly, your "Dirty Santa" avatar made them about 10x worse.)  
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 5:47:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Fear Factory
Threat Signal
Arkaea - this band consists of Christian Olde Wolbers and Raymond Herrera (ex-Fear Factory members) and Jon Howard and Pat Kavanagh from Threat Signal.

Pretty much if you're already a fan of one of the three, you're likely to enjoy the other two as well.

Love these guys.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:40:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the suggestions fellas. Definitely got some listening to do this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:51:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 6:59:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
MASTODON

Blood and Thunder was the shit. Can't get into their new stuff.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:07:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:11:28 AM EDT
[#16]
As I Lay Dying. New album just came out about a week ago.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:11:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Metal is dead to me, that makes me sad.  But since the mid-90s the over genre-i-zation (new word) of it has made metal a joke.   Back in the day metal was just metal, no "Swedish viking folk death metal" as opposed to "Swedish Melodic Viking folk death metal"  "or Swedish Viking Folk Thrash Metal".

This and fucking cookie monster vocals killed it for me.  

So I'll continue on with Maiden and Priest and other bands that can actually play MUSIC with singers who can actually sing.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:12:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Metal is dead to me, that makes me sad.  But since the mid-90s the over genre-i-zation (new word) of it has made metal a joke.   Back in the day metal was just metal, no "Swedish viking folk death metal" as opposed to "Swedish Melodic Viking folk death metal"  "or Swedish Viking Folk Thrash Metal".

This and fucking cookie monster vocals killed it for me.  

So I'll continue on with Maiden and Priest and other bands that can actually play MUSIC with singers who can actually sing.

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:14:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Baroness

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoHgV6UNMLM[/youtube]

Opeth

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnVqJLnTMek[/youtube]

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:15:25 AM EDT
[#20]
The Acacia Strain
The Faceless (Met two band members hammered on the streets of Worcester Mass)
The Red Chord
Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza
Nekrogoblikon
Ex Deo
I Declare War
All Shall Perish
WhiteChapel
The Black Dahlia Murder

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Yellow & Green is my album of the year for 2012.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:21:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
MASTODON

Blood and Thunder was the shit. Can't get into their new stuff.

I like all their stuff, just thought the hunter was mediocre. It had some brilliant points and a few points that made me scratch my head. I think Blood Mountain is a masterpiece from start to finish.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:23:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Yeah it is badass. I saw Shadows Fall years ago as they opened for Mudvayne. I came out of that show a much bigger fan of Shadows Fall than I was Mudvayne. Brian Fair's dreads are unreal and watching him spin them is pretty badass.
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:25:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm slipping a little bit because I haven't even purchased yellow and green yet. Probably will pick up the cd's today. I can't believe how bad they got jacked up in that wreck oner in London. Did you hear how bad the lead singer is messed up?
Link Posted: 10/6/2012 7:26:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm slipping a little bit because I haven't even purchased yellow and green yet. Probably will pick up the cd's today. I can't believe how bad they got jacked up in that wreck oner in London. Did you hear how bad the lead singer is messed up?

Yeah, I saw his post the other day on Facebook.  Intense.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top