Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Note to self...DON"T fuck with Mr. Jim West.

No shit!  

Wait - he killed the 3 bears? Goldilocks is avenged!

Mr. West has seen enough movies to know the hiers will grow to avenge the death of their mother.

What he doesn't realize, is one cub was missed.

The brewing of a new epic battle has begun.

Link Posted: 10/8/2008 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
he gets to keep his man card for life

No shit, huh.

He could run around in a pink banana hammock singing songs from, "The Sound of Music" and that story along with the scar still make him a stud.

Yep, it just be "Oh this scar on my head? Yeah, some bear tried to chew my head off so I took a stick and beat the damn thing to death".  

Link Posted: 10/8/2008 6:52:51 PM EDT
[#4]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
This is a public apology to the ARFCOM member who wanted to kill a bear with an aluminum baseball bat. You were right and I was wrong. Sorry.

FUCK YEAH!!!! hat

Out Fucking Standing!

This guy had an edge. Something inside him said "I will not go quietly..."

By the way, nobody said a bear could not be killed by a bat, just that YOU couldn't!

Just messing.... hey, you walked right into that one. I had to.

Link Posted: 10/8/2008 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Bear in mind, this guy found a plan worth sticking to.

Link Posted: 10/8/2008 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yep, it just be "Oh this scar on my head? Yeah, some bear tried to chew my head off so I took a stick and beat the damn thing to death".  

He sticked at 45* and yelled DISENGAGE, DISENGAGE, you will not bite my head !
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Read some of the responses on the link... some of those assholes actually feel sorry for the bear. Unbelievable.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 7:09:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Someone should buy this guy one of these:  www.coldsteel.com/92pgs.html

Or just buy him a big flashlight.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 7:17:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I think it was Yellow Wolf who woke up some bear and killed it with a club.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Outdoor life ran a story of a 60+ year old man who killed a Griz with his fist.  He could only use one fist because his other arm was rendered useless by a bite IIRC
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a bear tag for early November.  I was going to take a .308 with a .44 Mag for backup, but now I think I'll just take a stick.

NOT!
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Humans are genetically adapted to using pointy sticks to kill things.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 7:28:39 PM EDT
[#13]
TON.....WHACK!!!!!

Give that man a Maglight!!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Note to self...DON"T fuck with Mr. Jim West.

After all it is a "Wild, Wild West"
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 7:31:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I have resisted posting this for many years, and no longer care if I get ridiculed.
I chased a black bear that was wounded with a .357 3/4 of a mile and killed it with a geologists hammer. Lighter than a framing hammer.
I won't go into how it got shot with a "people" gun, but I don't like letting wounded animals get away. There were no more guns, or ammo.
The bear was intermitently charging and running and finally charged me and got hung up in some pecker-poles just enough to give me a chance. It took three hits as hard as I could to crack the skull.
I do have a witness, who is now a top guy on a fairly large  exploration operation going on in AK.

On another note, I got two black bears that squared over 7' this summer in the more traditional manner.

That being said, I wasn't being chewed on, fighting for my life, so I guess that just makes me a dumbass.

Link Posted: 10/8/2008 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have resisted posting this for many years, and no longer care if I get ridiculed.
I chased a black bear that was wounded with a .357 3/4 of a mile and killed it with a geologists hammer. Lighter than a framing hammer.
I won't go into how it got shot with a "people" gun, but I don't like letting wounded animals get away. There were no more guns, or ammo.
The bear was intermitently charging and running and finally charged me and got hung up in some pecker-poles just enough to give me a chance. It took three hits as hard as I could to crack the skull.
I do have a witness, who is now a top guy on a fairly large  exploration operation going on in AK.

On another note, I got two black bears that squared over 7' this summer in the more traditional manner.

That being said, I wasn't being chewed on, fighting for my life, so I guess that just makes me a dumbass.

Yes, but a badass dumbass.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 7:47:34 PM EDT
[#19]
He was damn lucky to connect with a stunning shot on the first try and even luckier to come out of it alive.

His head looks stitched up like a softball.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Did anybody else notice that when the fight started he was walking his dog?  No mention of the dog helping out during the fight.  Where was the fucking dog?

Fucking dog.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Did anybody else notice that when the fight started he was walking his dog?  No mention of the dog helping out during the fight.  Where was the fucking dog?

Fucking dog.

The bites are probably from his dog trying to pull his dumb ass off the bear (while he is smacking it with a club)!

JK   A 2 iron would probably work just fine also,if you had the balls to swing one.

Some people just fold up,and others do what he did(rise to the occasion)hats off to that dude  he didn't need the jaw bone of an ass to destroy his opposition!

Bob
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Is Jim West in any way related to John West?  
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#24]
It always makes me laugh when people give bears this mythical "invincibility". Theyre fucking animals. Theyre not a Dinosaur. If it bleeds it can die, and no it dosent take artillery or ar .50 BMG to kill a bear either.

I think those who think this have never killed game. A 5.56 or .308 will kill a bear just fine. Even a knife, bow, spear or stick will too.

Its obvious this dude decided he wasnt going to curl up and did what he had to. Good for him.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
This is a public apology to the ARFCOM member who wanted to kill a bear with an aluminum baseball bat. You were right and I was wrong. Sorry.

I don't know why, but I started laughing my ass off. For some reason I can picture what was said in that thread.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 10:28:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Holy shit. I owe this guy a beer.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 10:31:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Needless to say, he sure as heck has some...

Link Posted: 10/8/2008 10:31:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

"I swung my piece of wood like a sledgehammer driving spikes and I kept swinging till she was lying flat on the ground and there was blood coming out of her nose," said West.

So there's this bear....with a big mushroom stamp right in the middle of her head....
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 10:32:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I killed a huge german shepard dog that attacked me out of nowhere when I was in my late teens.

The dog ran straight at me and without hesitation, grabbed my right knee.

At the very same instant, I punched it in the head right behind the ear and it collapsed instantly and dropped dead at my feet.

Never even twitched.

I was real lucky to escape with nothing more than torn jeans, it was a one in a million punch with perfect timing.
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 10:33:15 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

YES!
Link Posted: 10/8/2008 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/vanilla_gorilla911/steel20balls1195_7994084.jpg

buh buh buh buh balls of steel!!

I was thinking the same thing...that quote keeps running through my head.

I can see this bear in Heaven, her phone rings, she picks it up and hears, " I HAVE BALLS OF STEEL! "

Link Posted: 10/9/2008 1:20:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Poor lil bear

He should have pulled a "Treadwell" and jus talked it out with the bear!!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/9/2008 4:42:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 5:09:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Darn good thing he had a stick  and not an AR.

We all know a AR can't take a bear.

Lets See here:

Born on a mountaintop in north B.C.,
BRRR Ass cold, above the land of the free,
Killed him three bears with a little piece of tree,
Jim, Jimmy West King of the wild frontier.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 5:16:08 AM EDT
[#35]
This is always my favorite bear attack story:

Teen camper fights off brown bear
SOUTHEAST: Rice-A-Roni in tent may have sparked attack.

By MARY PEMBERTON
The Associated Press

(Published: April 27, 2004)
A 15-year-old boy on a wilderness expedition for emotionally troubled youths woke up to find a 400-pound brown bear sow with a bad attitude sitting at his feet.

The Barrow boy thought at first that a camp counselor was rustling around at the foot of his tent Saturday morning on Deer Island in Southeast Alaska. But when he figured out it was a bear, the teen, keeping his wits about him, tried to slip away quietly.

The bear would have none of it.

"It seems that pretty calmly (the boy) wriggled his way backward out of the back of the tent as the bear was going over the top of the tent," state trooper Adam Benson said Monday. "They kind of met up at the back of the tent. The bear came down, mouth open, toward him."

Benson said the boy put up his right arm to fend off the sow. She bit his forearm, leaving two puncture wounds.

The boy decided to fight back -- a risky approach to take, particularly with a brown bear, the trooper said.

"He told me he punched the bear half a dozen times with his left hand" and the bear let him go, Benson said.

When the teenager got up and tried to run, the bear bit him again on the right side of his torso, just below his ribs, this time leaving half a dozen puncture wounds on his back, Benson said.

The boy punched the bear again a couple of times, and again she let him go.

"He jumped behind a little cluster of trees and kind of played keep-away with the bear," Benson said.

During one of the turns around the trees, the boy remembered that he had an air horn in his gear and grabbed it on the run. He blew the horn in the bear's face. The sound woke up the other counselors and boys in the camp, said Steve Prysunka, director of the six-week Crossing Wilderness Expeditions for Youth program.

Prysunka said counselor Willy Hollett stepped between the boy and the bear and hit her with pepper spray. The bear reared up, and he sprayed her again; then the bear reared up once more.

In the meantime, another counselor fired a flare at the bear's feet, finally causing her to turn and run.

The boy was taken to the program's floating camp, a barge with a lodge anchored about one-eighth of a mile away. An emergency medical crew arrived by float plane about 30 minutes later to take him to Ketchikan General Hospital, where he was treated and released a few hours later, Prysunka said.

Benson said he was at the hospital when the teen was brought in on a stretcher. He was sitting up and looked relaxed.

"He told me it didn't hurt," Benson said. "I would attribute that to a pretty good shot of adrenaline."

Prysunka asked that the boy not be identified in news reports.

Late Saturday afternoon, another trooper and a couple of U.S. Forest Service employees returned to the campsite area, found the sow and killed her. There were no signs she had any cubs with her.

Benson said the counselors the evening before had checked on the campers to make sure no food had been left out to attract bears.

The boy had some Rice-A-Roni he wanted to keep.

"He said: 'No, don't take this. I'm going to eat this in a little while,' " Benson said. "Apparently he fell asleep before he got it done. There was some food left at the foot of his tent."

The boy was being sent home to give his wounds time to heal, Prysunka said.

"I think he is the biggest, baddest thing in the woods. He punched the bear," Prysunka said.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 5:27:36 AM EDT
[#36]
What sort of bear was it? I mean the guy is badass if it was a brownie. However, if it was a koala bear that escaped from the local zoo I'm not sure if I'd buy him a beer.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 6:31:44 AM EDT
[#37]
I love these kinds of stories!

Here are a few more I can remember within the last couple years:

Man chokes bobcat

Iceman drags shark to land and kills it..

Link Posted: 10/9/2008 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
This is always my favorite bear attack story:

This is MY favorite bear attack story:

In October 2003, Treadwell and his girlfriend, a physician assistant, Amie Huguenard, visited Katmai National Park in Alaska. Treadwell chose to set his campsite near a salmon stream where grizzlies commonly feed in the fall. Treadwell was in the park later in the year than usual[6], at a time when bears fight to gain as much fat as possible before winter and limited food supplies cause them to be more aggressive than in other months. Food was scarce that fall, so the grizzly bears were even more aggressive than usual.[7]

Around noon on Sunday, October 5, 2003, Treadwell spoke with an associate in Malibu, California by satellite phone. Treadwell mentioned no problems with any bears. The next day, October 6, the bodies of Treadwell and Huguenard were discovered by Willy Fulton, the Kodiak air taxi pilot who arrived at their campsite to pick them up. Treadwell's disfigured head, partial backbone, and left forearm/hand still wearing his wrist watch were recovered at the scene. Huguenard's partial remains were found near the encampment, somewhat buried in a mound of twigs and dirt. A large male grizzly (tagged Bear 141) protecting the campsite was killed by park rangers while they attempted to retrieve the bodies. A second adolescent bear was killed a short time later after it charged the park rangers. A necropsy revealed human body parts such as fingers and limbs. It is not clear from any evidence or the audio recording if either of these two bears killed the couple. In the 85-year history of Katmai National Park, this was the first incident of a person being killed by a bear.[1]

wiki link on the "bear whisperer"
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Bear in mind, this guy found a plan worth sticking to.

I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 12:49:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Holy crap!  Badass.  Probably wears pink Crocs and doesn't give two shits.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#41]
OK this guy just earned a permanent un-revokable man-card.

Chuck Norris wets his pants when he hears the name Jim West
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 1:24:01 PM EDT
[#42]

It's a good thing that he didn't have a gun with him.  Otherwise the bear could have taken it and then used it on him.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#43]
This is just a reminder that not all Canadian's are pussies!

RF
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

+87

I too am eating crow.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#45]
baldilocks and the three bears...
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 3:09:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Where were his two dogs?! somebody won't be getting dinner tonight...and tomorrow somebody's getting neutered... tisk... tisk...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top