BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Total Bull Shit. My department shoots Berettas and I've never seen this happen.
View Quote

Merely because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it didn't happen....It happened to me TWICE in Iraq and twice more to two SNCO's in my unit.....Believe what you want but merely calling something bullshit because YOU never experienced it is absurd!
I am merely relaying MY experiences with the weapon. Take it for what its worth.......
View Quote
But here's what you said:

I defy anybody to take an issued M9, fire 15 rounds as fast as possible, and not have the slide lock up on them.
View Quote
He called BS not necesarily on that it didn' thappen to you, but that you challenged *ANYBODY* to do the same and get any sort of different result, and HE DID, and got different results.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
He called BS not necesarily on that it didn' thappen to you, but that you challenged *ANYBODY* to do the same and get any sort of different result, and HE DID, and got different results.
View Quote

Yup. You're right. That 'challenge' was merely a figure of speech on my part and, as such, I didn't think anybody would (or should) take it literally. I thought he was calling BS on the fact that it never happened in the first place....
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Chrisle,

I guess I did go to far by calling BS, sorry. I do think it is unfair to call a certain weapon a POS because of one experience, like you said those pistols more than likely had the snot shot out of them before you got them. You know there is alot of bad PR about the AR-15 family of weapons too but that doesn't mean they are POS.

I guess it comes down to everyone has their own opinion.

By the way thanks for for service to our nation!
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Back in the Gulf War I saw some Salior Pilots carrying Glocks instead of the nasty POS Berettas
View Quote

I thought that pre-GW1, the issue sidearm for aviators was a .38 revolver? I love my 92, but if the choice was between a Glock and a .38, I'd go Glock every time.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Chrisle,

I guess I did go to far by calling BS, sorry. I do think it is unfair to call a certain weapon a POS because of one experience, like you said those pistols more than likely had the snot shot out of them before you got them.
View Quote

JohnBlade23,

Agreed. And you are correct in that one incident does not a POS make. That's why I repeatedly stated that my opinion is based on my experiences. Personally, I can no longer trust the M9 to protect my life if need be. I'm sure we can all agree that there is no perfect weapon out there. One man's idea of a perfect weapon is another's nightmare. All we can do is listen, learn and form our own opinions on what weapon is best for any given situation. Hope you had a safe and happy holiday season.....
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 4:56:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yup. You're right. That 'challenge' was merely a figure of speech on my part and, as such, I didn't think anybody would (or should) take it literally. I thought he was calling BS on the fact that it never happened in the first place....
View Quote
Cool beans.  Although, honestly, if you pump 15 rounds through it, the slide *should* lock back.  Then you put a new (non-empty) magazine in it, and release the slide, and do it again [;D]
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
CITADELGRAD87,

Not looking to split hairs either. There are exeptions to every rule and I'm sure there are weapons other than the M9 issued. By 'standard' issue I was referring to your average grunt (ground pounder) on the front lines.
View Quote

No, you didn't say "standard issue", you said "issue", period.

View Quote

LarryG,

Perhaps you should read a little closer. Read my subsequent post and you'll see that I not only used the word 'Standard,' I actually highlighted it...
View Quote

You clarified it after several called you on it.  Your original post did not stipulate "standard".  Perhaps you need to read a little closer.

The Military should be so lucky as to issue glocks. Nope, the POS Beretta is the only issued sidearm in the service aside from some SpecOps units who use various types of sidearms to include Glocks, HK's, etc...

I also don't think that even SpecOps use Glocks.
View Quote

Oh really, then the Glocks the SEALS were using during my time at NSWU4 were really only fakes. Not to mention the Glocks Recon was using in Nazariyia.Hmmm, must be a lot of fake Glocks running around the Specops community.[rolleyes]
View Quote
I have my doubts about that.

All I have to say about Glock is KABOOM and "Ballitic Fingerprinting".
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
LarryG,
You clarified it after several called you on it. Your original post did not stipulate "standard". Perhaps you need to read a little closer.
You clarified it after several called you on it. Your original post did not stipulate "standard". Perhaps you need to read a little closer.
View Quote

Irrelevant. I was responding to YOUR post which was written well after I clarified my point. Had YOU read my follow up post before going on your tirade we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Oh really, then the Glocks the SEALS were using during my time at NSWU4 were really only fakes. Not to mention the Glocks Recon was using in Nazariyia.Hmmm, must be a lot of fake Glocks running around the Specops community.[rolleyes]
View Quote

Quoted:

View Quote

LarryG,

You're having doubts about it in what sense? Would it have anything to do with the fact that you weren't there?. I, on the other hand, have no doubts about it as I was there and can attest to their use of Glocks. I could probably dig up a few pics for ya too. On that note, I'll end this pointless argument.

Safe tour, Chris
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Military should be so lucky as to issue glocks. Nope, the POS Beretta is the only issued sidearm in the service aside from some SpecOps units who use various types of sidearms to include Glocks, HK's, etc...
View Quote

I think the Beretta has some downfalls but I don't think it qualifies as a POS.

View Quote

Maynard,

I defy anybody to take an issued M9, fire 15 rounds as fast as possible, and not have the slide lock up on them. We did it all the time in Iraq to prove a point. The heat generated by the weapon warps the slide guides enough so as to lock up the slide so tight that one could not cycle the weapon by hand. One had to put the slide up against a solid object and use one's entire body to push against the slide to release it. Once it cooled down in worked again....Its a known issue.....That definitely qualifies as a POS in my book!! I won't even get into the magazine issues, the constant jams, stovepipes, FFF,FFE that the weapon is notorious for. The after action reports speak for themselves. So much so that the Marine Corps is looking for a replacement for the M9....Mind you, I'm not looking to start a 'which is better' flame war. I'm merely speaking based on my experiences and those of fellow service members that have had similar failures (many of which I've witnessed first hand in Iraq)
View Quote

I shot several mags through my M9, never had that big of a problem.  I cleaned the mags ever day and when I did the rounds would get stuck going up the tube while cleaning (the check mate mags are total crap) but when I actually fired it I never had a stoppage.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:23:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I saw a bunch of Glocks in the sandbox, mostly while I was briefly at Baghdad International.  Most of the people I saw carrying them were in civilian clothes doing open carry on their belts, and I am not sure who they were with - perhaps some three-letter agency or something.

I know I had to beg and borrow weapons from the unit I was attached to when I was there which was annoying to say the least quite frankly.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:00:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
LarryG,
View Quote

Irrelevant. I was responding to YOUR post which was written well after I clarified my point. Had YOU read my follow up post before going on your tirade we wouldn't be having this conversation.

View Quote

Quoted:

View Quote

LarryG,

You're having doubts about it in what sense? Would it have anything to do with the fact that you weren't there?. I, on the other hand, have no doubts about it as I was there and can attest to their use of Glocks. I could probably dig up a few pics for ya too. On that note, I'll end this pointless argument.

Safe tour, Chris
View Quote

I have doubts, in that I don't believe you.

As for not being there, I did my time long ago.

I was referring to a post that was referring to your first post.  You are just dancing around semantics.  What you originally said was not "standard issue" and your original post was wrong.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 9:30:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Certain DOD and private contractors carry the Glock 17,19, and 21.  The 17 and 19 have NSN #'s and can be procured by specialized units via offical means.

The Sig P226 is also common as are custom 1911's(Colt, Kimber, Springfield, Wilson, etc.) and BHP's(mostly guys over 35 on the last two). They are purchased with private and or group funds. If need be they can be obtained via offical sources.

As most people asserted the average solider is not issued anything other than the M9(Beretta 92FS)or limited numbers of M11's(Sig P228). If they aren't high speed low drag it's a POW(approved or not)

The Glock 17/19's have been approved and procured for certain Aircrew units(USN and USAF) as well as authorized by the NIS and Army CID for certain personnel on a case by case basis. The have also been purchased in limited #'s for embassy security teams(read USMC) as well as some USAF security details assigned to NASA facilities.

The Glock handgun only KB's when retards shoot reloads or cast ammo through them.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 10:34:17 PM EDT
[#13]
I got here kind of late, but I'm going to call BS on his friend carrying a Glock based on the MOS he described.  The guy who started this thread said his friend is a Forward Observer.  I was a 13F which is the Army MOS for a forward observer her 6 years.  NONE of us below the rank of Captain had access to handguns. M-4, M16, M-203 yes, Glock or Beretta, no.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 2:21:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Uhmmm...I took my 92 out and shot 7 mags (all I have) as fast as I could w/o one problem.  The slide definately did not warp and get stuck.

From guys I have talked to the only problems they have had are slides developing cracks due to over 15,000 of NATO spec 9mm and the mags springs are totally shot due to overuse.  One friend told me he could shake the mag and rounds would fall out.

BTW mags can be loaded forever w/o hurting them.  It is the continual stressing and unstressing of the springs which finally cause them to fail.
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 5:49:20 AM EDT
[#15]
the original intent for the M11 was for CID, then they were issued to females with small hands who cant manage a beretta, now they are a status symbols for officers and pilots.  your buddy is full of shit.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top