User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yup. That would be my concern.
View Quote
Reread. I believe the stepfather and mother alter will before his death to 100% op, not that his mother did it after the stepfather passed. Unless theybargue that the stepfather had diminished capacity when it we rewritten I don't think they can use that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#3]
You probably will want to make a consultation with a lawyer that handles these type of issues in the state your mother lived in.

I would not have any contact with the step siblings until you receive appropriate legal advice regarding the will.  

From what you have said, and if your lawyer gives the OK, I doubt I would give the step siblings any money since it sounds like they got plenty money when your mother was alive.  They got to have fun and party and you were there and were the caretaker.  If the will is valid according to your lawyer and you are to get 100% of the money, why change it?  I'd say if the lawyer says it will not mess anything up with the will and you getting your 100% of money, you may consider giving the step siblings personal things like pictures.  But i'd only do that with the lawyer's permission and if it is something you want to do.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Tell them that you are going to honor your mothers wishes.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Its not your money, its your mom's money amd her wish was you get it all. She made a conscientious decision and stuck to it.  Honor her last wish. Donate half to charity if you have moral issues.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Its not your money, its your mom's money amd her wish was you get it all. She made a conscientious decision and stuck to it.  Honor her last wish. Donate half to charity if you have moral issues.

I don't think that's going to be the issue for him.  The possible issue is if the OPs mother was actually the one to modify his step-dads will, prior to his death.  That's what the OP alluded to. Playing devils advocate...I can see how they may be entitled to a portion of their fathers estate if she cut them out of it.

Now if the OPs step-dad told his Mom "my kids are ungrateful good for nothing turds, I want them cut out of my will..." and he cut them out of his will himself...then they should get nothing.

Edit:

Quoted:

Reread. I believe the stepfather and mother alter will before his death to 100% op, not that his mother did it after the stepfather passed. Unless theybargue that the stepfather had diminished capacity when it we rewritten I don't think they can use that.
I went back and reread it, but it's possible that I misread it.  If this is the case and there's no diminished capacity concerns...then I agree...tell them to pound sand.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:53:06 PM EDT
[#6]
After you get a lawyer, anytime one of them brings it up just tell them to 
refer to your attorney. It is now in his hands, so let him deal with it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
She changes will to I get 100%.
View Quote
That's really all that matters. Honor and execute your mother's wishes.

Don't cave to any family member, step or otherwise, who suddenly is all about family when there's money to be had, but treated your mother and father like she didn't exist while she was here.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:57:35 PM EDT
[#8]
If you give them a dime, they will sue you for more.

If it is a valid will then honor it and spend some $$$ on a charity she may have liked.

My Dad stipulated that ANY contesting of his will was a 100% automatic disqualification of receiving any, partial and all proceeds from the estate and they would be struck from it. As executor, it made my life VERY easy. We had zero fights about anything.

If your Mom changed her will due to her stepkids behavior and lack of attention as she aged then that is a quite valid reason.

PS, send then all a notarized copy of the most recent will recording all changes. Send them NOTHING else. No bank statements, no other paperwork, NOTHING.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#9]
If you gave them all of it, it still wouldn't be enough. "F" them get a good lawyer.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#10]
So they used your parents, weren't there for them when they needed them; I'd say F off and tell them not to worry about YOUR inheritance.

Also sorry for your loss. (Loss of Parents not loss of step bro/sister)
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Do as your Mom's will states. Have a reading of the will, cut ties, and go on with your life.

I wish you much good fortune and sympathy for the lost of your Mother.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 7:59:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Let THEM lawyer up. Don't give them shit.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:00:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Do what the Will says.  Consult your Attorney.  Once the estate is settled, give each a copy of the will and an agreement to sign away any claims.  Agreement gets them a Gift...what ever the max in one year is per IRS.  If either says no, they both get nothing and the gift is your attorney's retainer for any future action they may take.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:03:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm guessing the initial Will with your mom and step-dad was if they died at the same time, e.g. both pass in a car crash.

Once your step-dad died and his estate was probated, your mother later drafted her own Will, which was her right.  If step-dad wanted his kids to inherit something without your mother interfering he could have handled that in his own Will.

I would honor your mother's wishes.

In many states four months is barely enough to scratch the surface of probate; my mother's estate took year to settle just because of the process that had to be followed (submitting inventory to the court, notification of creditors, public notices in the paper, etc.).

Bear in mind that if you give your step-sibs more than $14k in a year you will owe gift tax on that.  You will also be handing them the cash they need to retain an attorney so they can sue for what they think is their share.

While they may try to sue you - actually the estate - do they even have enough to scrape together to cover an attorney's retainer?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:03:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Your duty as executor is to do your best to honor the wishes of the departed.
View Quote
Can't be said strongly enough. There's a reason I am the trustee of the trusts and executor for my mother. it's because my late father knew I would follow his wishes in regards to the steps from my SIL's first marriage.

Follow your mothers wishes and have an attorney ready to go. Nothing for those deadbeats.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Give them their father's photos and possessions if they didn't get them all yet. Then top it off with NY's best cheesecake.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm in a similar situation and I'll tell you what I'm going to do.

Sister #2 can fuck off.
Sister #1 is she doesn't start to make things right I'm gonna tell her she gets the same as the other one.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I left out one detail. When  Mom had house for sale step sister contacted me asking if they were getting their half when the house sold. W T F? She is not dead.
Me, Mom and step sister all called my Mom's estate attorney separately. He told us each the same, step siblings have no claim to anything.
When one spouse dies the other owns it and can do what every they want, including changing the will. Especially when married and worked for 25 years at near same wage.
Oh, step Dad had a 1911 and a 380 that I gave to step sisters adult sons since it was their grandfathers.

Thanks for all the replies, I didn't think anyone would read that wall of text. Mostly I wanted to vent.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like a great time to move west and start a new life.
Like fishing?
Move to Oregon or Washington, no state income tax in WA.

Learn to kill Salmon!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#20]
5K a piece and you keep the rest.  Tell them that it costs money to care for the parents and be happy with what you got.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fuck them. Tell em to piss off.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#22]
they deserve nothing

ZERO
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I am sorry for your loss.

0 - including 0 paperwork.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'd speak to an estate attorney and stop speaking to the step-siblings.
View Quote
This.  For all you know, the will could have an error and be unenforceable.  If that were the case, you might be better off giving them half then having the court split it 33/33/33.

IANAL.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You're a fool if you give them one red cent.  Your step-father's wishes were made before he needed 10 years of care that your step-siblings completely ignored.  I would honor your mother's wishes and stop talking to your step-siblings.  

Start a 529 plan for your kid's education.
View Quote
Mom and step dad did collage funds for all grand kids. Step sisters kids were born 20 years before my son so they got a lot more. Yes, I was 40 when I had a kid.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Throwing the principal of your mothers wishes aside, are you well off already? Are the step siblings struggling to support 8 starving children? Would they spend it on drugs?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:13:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
you will end up in court. 100% guaranteed. it will be ugly. Get ahead of it now with your attorney.
View Quote
A 50 yo lowlife tried to claim a sizeable inheritance after stealing everything he could.  He changed his name before her death and tried to claim she alway promised to adopt him. Against most of the families wished he was paid. He has already tried for more money.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I am not a lawyer. I have been through something similar twice.

Get yourself in front of the lawyer who drew the will as soon as you can.

The first will _should_ have specified what happens LEGALLY when one spouse passes before the other and what LEGALLY had to be dispersed and to whom.   IF it said (loosely) all to my wife, then she had total say over what was to be done. IF the will specified 1/2 to wife & 1/2 to kids, the executor had a responsibility to see that was carried out.

There _should not_ have been a joint will. It is my understanding wills are written for individual persons.

This will be going to court before a probate judge for sure. YOU or your lawyer should also have a copy of step dad's will with you at that time.

As stated above, this could get ugly and time consuming. Contested estates are what buys the expensive toys for lawyers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Your duty as executor is to do your best to honor the wishes of the departed.
View Quote
yup
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Your step dad wanted your mom to have the money. She then willed it to you. She gave up HER life for him.
Fuck them, take the money and ignore them.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Next time your step sister starts pestering you for a handout I would send them a copy of the will. Then, because I'm a nice guy I would have a legal agreement drawn up giving them a combined 33.3% of the inheritance (16.6% each) on the condition that they do not contest it and do not contact you anymore.

They don't sound like they deserve it but still they should have something from their father.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:20:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This.  For all you know, the will could have an error and be unenforceable.  If that were the case, you might be better off giving them half then having the court split it 33/33/33.

IANAL.
View Quote
The house money my Mom deposited into bank with "pay on death" with me as beneficiary. The estate attorney told me to talk to the bank, bank gave me a check when I gave them death cert.
Only $25K was distributed by estate attorney and that has already happened.  I don't think I have any legal issues. Estate attorney sent be closing statement wanting paid. Estate attorney went to school with my Mom.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Fuck those clowns, lawyer up. Its funny to see the scum ooze out from death, sad really.

Yoo-hoo,  I'll make ya famous
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:22:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Sorry for your loses, bro. 

As to what your parents left to you...it's yours. They changed their will(s) to reflect how the shitbags were treating them when they needed their help. 

Tell those asshats that the Will was changed and they are going to get exactly what your parents felt they deserved...squat.

Tell them the Probate will be put of public record once it's finished. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Keep all the money and use the portion you consider giving to them to cover lawyer fees as they surely would sue you either way.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I left out one detail. When  Mom had house for sale step sister contacted me asking if they were getting their half when the house sold. W T F? She is not dead.
Me, Mom and step sister all called my Mom's estate attorney separately. He told us each the same, step siblings have no claim to anything.
When one spouse dies the other owns it and can do what every they want, including changing the will. Especially when married and worked for 25 years at near same wage.
Oh, step Dad had a 1911 and a 380 that I gave to step sisters adult sons since it was their grandfathers.

Thanks for all the replies, I didn't think anyone would read that wall of text. Mostly I wanted to vent.
View Quote
Given that...I would say give them what you think they deserve. If that number is $0...then so be it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Nothing!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:25:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Next time your step sister starts pestering you for a handout I would send them a copy of the will. Then, because I'm a nice guy I would have a legal agreement drawn up giving them a combined 33.3% of the inheritance (16.6% each) on the condition that they do not contest it and do not contact you anymore.

They don't sound like they deserve it but still they should have something from their father.
View Quote
They know what the final will said. They are playing the honor their Dads wish card because that's their only play.
I planned to give them a little more than that but now she wants to see statements makes me think they will never be happy. They probably think there was way more money. My Moms 6 months in dementia unit burned some cash and their house was only 2/3 paid for.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:27:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Sorry for your loses, bro. 

As to what your parents left to you...it's yours. They changed their will(s) to reflect how the shitbags were treating them when they needed their help. 

Tell those asshats that the Will was changed and they are going to get exactly what your parents felt they deserved...squat.

Tell them the Probate will be put of public record once it's finished. 
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I actually can't believe what a pushover everyone is. I would give them -25k each. you don't owe anything but they owe YOU for missing support. if anything, tell them your mom needed financial help and left them debt which you would really like them to repay. every time they contact you for money, turn the tables and tell them you really need the money. you have the number in the wrong direction, it's supposed to be negative. I have no idea why you think 0 is acceptable either. in my opinion, 25k is just for average, if they made more they should be paying more because there would even less excuse to not help.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Is your stepsister hot? If so tell her I'm rich as fuck, I'll fix her greedy ass the 'ol Irish way.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#42]
I just don't understand your desire to go against your mom's will for jerks who weren't there when they were needed?  Where is this coming from?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:31:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I am not a lawyer. I have been through something similar twice.

Get yourself in front of the lawyer who drew the will as soon as you can.

The first will _should_ have specified what happens LEGALLY when one spouse passes before the other and what LEGALLY had to be dispersed and to whom.   IF it said (loosely) all to my wife, then she had total say over what was to be done. IF the will specified 1/2 to wife & 1/2 to kids, the executor had a responsibility to see that was carried out.

There _should not_ have been a joint will. It is my understanding wills are written for individual persons.

This will be going to court before a probate judge for sure. YOU or your lawyer should also have a copy of step dad's will with you at that time.

As stated above, this could get ugly and time consuming. Contested estates are what buys the expensive toys for lawyers.
View Quote
It was a joint will, surviving spouse gets all. When step dad died it was all my Moms. Mom made new will after that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Keep all the money and use the portion you consider giving to them to cover lawyer fees as they surely would sue you either way.
View Quote
This too!
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#45]
You need to talk to a TAX LAWYER before giving away any money!

I voted '0', but they will probably try to sue you for their share so offer them whatever the tax lawyer says you can give without either party getting hit with a large tax.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Is your stepsister hot? If so tell her I'm rich as fuck, I'll fix her greedy ass the 'ol Irish way.
View Quote
She was 30 years ago. Now she is kind of fat and 53 yo.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:33:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Fuck em and get a lawyer on retainer in case they pull any shenanigans 

fuck em
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:33:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I just don't understand your desire to go against your mom's will for jerks who weren't there when they were needed?  Where is this coming from?
View Quote
...this also

Edit, being nice is a good thing, being foolish is not, but maybe being a little of both is decent. I don't know if this is a "being the better person" scenario. Protect yourself, and don't give in to the bad parts of humanity I guess.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#49]
You could give them money which they will squander on hookers and blown and may end up dead.

Second thought that dosent sound so horrible.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:36:28 PM EDT
[#50]
And consider paying them anything could be articulated that you owe them on the amount they claim.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top