Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:15:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Waxahachie is not Dallas. Different county.

You sure as hell wouldn't have that problem at any DISD school...it'd be the other way around, ie "white boy".
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#2]
If this had happened to a WHITE kid in a BLACK school we would have NEVER heard anything about it.

All people are equal, some more than others
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:37:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Bigger problems in this world. No need to create more by making an issue out of an honest mistake.
Unless you profit from such attention that is.

I guess race relations is not high on your list of major problems.No I do not profit from it ,just want to make the "world" I live in (United States)a better place for MY kids.

Race Relations is way down my important shit list just over putting out the cockroach traps and just below making sure I wear suntan lotion.

I make the world I live in a better place by not making a big deal about stupid shit.

Race Realation ( extreme example), Rodney King riots,minorities went out looking for white people to kill.That one poor white guy got the shit kicked out of him ,then the black guy slammed a brick against his head.Thats not a problem to you ?What a fool.

You are a prime example that shows schools should be more focused on basic skills like spelling and grammar instead of yearbook typos.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So what?  Sounds like the most regonizable descriptive term to me.

Better than calling her a Coon.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
40 years from now ,she will bring out the year book to show her grand kids her high school years.The grand kids will see Greta ,Tyler,and THE BLACK GIRL.Do you  get it now?

I thought calling a person out of their name was disrespectful,I guess it only is for the privledged.

Damn dude, settle down.

IT WAS A MISTAKE.

It was a placeholder until everyone in the photo could be identified.  Someone failed to go back and replace it with a name, and someone else failed to check the page.

Ever tried to layout and copy-edit a 400-page document?  It's not easy, and a group of 14-18 year-olds is not going to pay a lot of attention to detail.  Every high school yearbook has errors, it's part of the learning curve.  This was just a very bad place to make an error.

One the first things I learned in journalism, and one of the things I hammered into my photographers, is NEVER, EVER slug a photo with a tag line that you don't want to see in print.  Because at 5 minutes to deadline, someone will grab that photo and paste in the tagline without reading it.  My old ID books are filled with tags like, "light shirt, long hair, jumping - name,name" and other relatively safe tags.

An apology should be made and the staf should be more dilligent next year.  No one should lose their job and it's not worth a lawsuit.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:58:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What a bunch of ignorant no good bastards.The girl is the only black girl in the photo ,everyone else (WHITE) are called by their name ,she is not ,she is known as the "black girl".Not many blacks at the school.

Thats like a white guy ,in a black school  only known as the "WHITE BOY"  in the picture of the year book.

VERY STUPID DECISION,HOPE ITS A COSTLY  ONE!

Guess what, what you suggest (white boy) is more likely to happen that this.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I thought they just couldn't spell Shaneaqua Deriitasha Washington

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:03:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#10]

She doesn't seem miffed a bit!
Eric The(Indeed!)Hun

Until the lawyers get a hold of her anyways...
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#11]
From now on I think we should just refer to JumpinJack as "The Spaz"

Free advice:
Save that bleeding heart for something that matters. jeez.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
...,just want to make the "world" I live in (United States)a better place for MY kids.

Funny, Hitler was the same way.  

For what it's worth... It sucks that the girls feelings got hurt.  Surely, something like 'who's this?" or "need name" would have fit just as well as what was used.

It sucks.  Life isn't fair.  Maybe they should refund her the cost of her year book or something... but beyond that... deal with it.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...,just want to make the "world" I live in (United States)a better place for MY kids.

Godwin's Law infraction in 63 posts.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Godwin's Law infraction in 63 posts.

I was wonderin who would catch that!!!  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Shadoiya Jones

That's the young lady's name!

The school is printing replacement pages to have placed in the yearbook.

She is so sweet and forgiving!

She doesn't seem miffed a bit!

A real tragedy!

Eric The(Indeed!)Hun

I won't even think of defending her on ARFCOM...

Have at it guys!

I need to ride through the ghetto saying:

STOP NAMING YOUR KIDS SHANIKA, SHAMIKA, SHAQUIKA, SHANANAY, SHAQEESHA, SANEKAH and Shadoiya!!!  

You know you are ghetto when:
41. YOU HAVE TROUBLE SPELLING YOUR CHILDREN'S NAMES, AND YOU NAMED THEM.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#17]
EricTheHun gets the nomination for the most logical ARFCOM member!

We need more members like you...

I might have to come to a Hun Farm shoot or, something close to it...
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I started school in the inner city of St. Louis.  I WAS the only white boy in the 3rd grade.  Guess what they called me?  You got it.  Including some of the teachers.  It was very educational.  I hate racism having been on the receiving end, BUT racists come in all colors.  I also learned how to fight at a very early age against multiple opponents.  I think JumpinOutrage was a little over the top here.  I lived through it.  So will she.  I am, I hope, a better person for the experience.  

It's funny,  after moving out of that neighborhood after the guy across the street was shot on his front porch and the house across the intersection was burned to the ground, I was in a predominately white school.  I got on the bus one of the first days of I went to that school and some black girl (oh my, that phrase again - but I never knew her name nor cared) about 2 grades above me and a foot taller told me I was sitting in her seat.  I told her to find another one.  The white kids (gosh, did it again) looked on somewhat horrified that I had said this to her.  She slapped me upside the head and it hurt like you know what.  I got up and punched her in the nose as hard as I could.  The white kids were in shock, but the black guys were laughing their ass off.  I later became friends with some of the black guys which was no big deal since all the guys at my other school were black, but that girl, err, sorry, black girl, and I never got along after that.  She never asked me to move again either.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ok

Ya well being from MO. ,I didn't think you would see a problem with that.

Well now, that makes sense.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:46:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
ok

Ya well being from MO. ,I didn't think you would see a problem with that.

Depends what part of Mo.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top