Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In my city you can be arrested for being drunk in your own home.  Not by the police, but by your family or roomates. "Drunk in a private home to the annoyance of others" The victim/complaintant must sign an order of arrest and the cops transport the suspect to jail on that order.

That law is tyrannical in nature.  Seriously, at some point the state has to butt out and let people handle their own problems.

It could be seen as tyrannical and stupid, or it could be a way of dealing with a family member who got unfriendly drunk without resorting to a domestic violence charge.

I can see where "drunk at home" charge would be better than what came of the situation MagKnightX described in his "The police just took my father" thread.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:32:59 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
That law is tyrannical in nature.  Seriously, at some point the state has to butt out and let people handle their own problems.

And if they can't handle the problem, what then?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:42:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Looks like you cant drink in bars any more either

Paging Ron White......

"I don't know how many it was gonna take to throw me out........but i knew how many they was gonna use "
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:50:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Last year at 9PM the bar owner asked the Sgt to drive him to the bank to make the night deposit becuase they already had $200,000.00 cash on hand!!!

Damn, I need a new business plan.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:11:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Ah,

Nevermind

GM
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:20:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Paging Ron White......

"I don't know how many it was gonna take to throw me out........but i knew how many they was gonna use "

I was drunk in a BAR, they THREW me in ppuubblliicc.

They call me "tater-salad".
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:09:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Last year at 9PM the bar owner asked the Sgt to drive him to the bank to make the night deposit becuase they already had $200,000.00 cash on hand!!!

Damn, I need a new business plan.

This year they did three night deposits.  $200K at 8:30PM.  $200K at 11:30PM and an unknown amount at 2:AM.

$10.00 cover. $8.00 a beer. 450 people max capacity. Line to get in all day.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:42:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm gonna tell ya how I really feel...

Can't smoke in a fucking bar...

CAN'T GET DRUNK IN A FUCKING BAR???

So let me get this straight...

A bar is some sort of a health club???

Our country is going to hell...just going to hell...

Unfuckingbelievable

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:32:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

So let me get this straight...

A bar is some sort of a health club???

Our country is going to hell...just going to hell...

Unfuckingbelievable

+1

You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform. You must conform.

[/society]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:53:54 AM EDT
[#10]
So, you have an 18 year old kid in a bar drinking alcohol in violation of State law. That's called "minor in possession" and it's a class c misdeemeanor in Texas. "making alcohol available to a minor" is a Class b, and that's the ticket that gets handed to the bartender/owner.

It's all fun and game suntil some kid gets killed and then it's "why didn't the police DO something to stop this tragedy?".

Also, there is no requirement to perform sobriety tests for public intoxication. Read the statute again. All it says is that the individual must be intoxicated to the point where he presents a danger to himself and others. For some, that can be after one drink--for others--it takes more. The law is intentionally vague to give officers discretion.

Also, I have never heard of ANYONE going drinking and then acting MORE responsibly. Reminds me of that WKRP in Cincinnati episode in which Johnny Fever's reactions get quicker with each drink he consumes.

pato
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:58:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I think we should arrest and put everyone in jail indefinitely.  Everybody has broken some law somehow and if not they will definitely break some law in the future.  It's for their own good.  Seriously, it's safer for everyone this way.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:35:48 AM EDT
[#12]
The Irving PD has to make some money now that the Cowboys are leaving the city..lol
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#13]
The first time I ever went to DFW, I stayed in Plano for a couple of weeks (business trip). I was amazed to learn the myriad of "dry" and "wet" regions, and the fact that you had to buy a stupid little card for like $2 to be allowed to buy so much as a beer. I don't know why, I just figured Tx would be slightly more tolerant of drinking than, say, Maryland which is the definition of a over-policed govt control state.

Meanwhile, there are gangs, meth labs, crack houses, muggers, and illegal aliens to go after, yet they waste resources doing this bullshit instead.  What a fucking joke.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:14:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Unfuckingbelieveable.  Enough of the nanny state shit.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Why do this?
because of public outcry when one of the kids gets killed after being stupid.

It's your fellow citizens that want this stuff done. Didn't you pay attention to that "Shattered Dreams" struff in school?

What I see here is stuff like "I'm not a danger when I drink" and "that stuff is wrong because I feel it is"
Well, there is a direct correlation to being drunk in a bar and driving drunk. There is also a direct correlation between driving drunk and accidents, injuries, and death.

Do the math.

pato
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:28:00 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No thats utter contempt for the drunks, who deserve it.  Notice they have already shown they are unable to make adult decisions.  Expecting them to sober up enough to call a cab is like believing in the Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny.  They got to that condition being stupid, why expect them mto change? especially when drunk?

What a load of shit.  I've been falling down puking drunk before and I NEVER even thought of getting into a car and driving home.  Its the people who don't think they're drunk yet that are the problem.  Seriously, have you never been drunk before?

Amen.  That was honestly one of the stupidest things I've read on ARFcom this year... short of "Can ye smell it???"
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Why do this?
because of public outcry when one of the kids gets killed after being stupid.

It's your fellow citizens that want this stuff done. Didn't you pay attention to that "Shattered Dreams" struff in school?

What I see here is stuff like "I'm not a danger when I drink" and "that stuff is wrong because I feel it is"
Well, there is a direct correlation to being drunk in a bar and driving drunk. There is also a direct correlation between driving drunk and accidents, injuries, and death.

Do the math.

pato

Yep, same justification for gun laws.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here in this town we have The St Paddys day run...

Our local Irish pub is such a problem spot that we staff the event area with 6 cops on foot patrol and bill the bar $900.00 per officer for the OT.

With 6 of us there we wil still arrest several people for DUI, fights, sex assaults, drug possession, disorderly conduct, ect. Its a zoo.

Is that $900 a TIP for the officer? Since the bar pays taxes why should the PD charge MORE for one day. You'll [city/county] make $$$$$$ for DUI, DIP, and all the rest anyways.

Not bashing, but sounds like quite a racket to me. Whats that break down per hour? $100.00 or so per officer?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:54:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I've been saying for years that all of the gun laws, most of the alcohol laws and nearly all the domestic violence laws in this country are unconstitutional.  Why?  Because the premise behind all of these is that the person is being arrested, not for what he has done, but for what he "may" do.
     Pretty much all other criminal laws require that you have "done" something to qualify for arrest.  These laws are predicated on "you may be about to do something" that "may endanger" someone.
     Nanny state thinking brought them into being, because of public demand.  Don't blame the peace officers who are required to enforce them...blame the sheeple who cry out for these kind of laws as a knee-jerk reaction to some sad story they heard on the evening news.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow, that is some bullshit. Guess there is nothing better for cops to do in TX these days than harrass citizens.

In most states it is illegal for a bar to serve an obviously intoxicant person. The elements of the crime fro Drunk is public is unable to care for yourself.  not simply intoxicated.

If someone is passed out in the bar bathroom or under the tables, coverd in his own vomit or piss/shit  he shouldnt get a ticket?

Silky's?????
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Our local Irish pub is such a problem spot that we staff the event area with 6 cops on foot patrol and bill the bar $900.00 per officer for the OT.

With 6 of us there we wil still arrest several people for DUI, fights, sex assaults, drug possession, disorderly conduct, ect. Its a zoo.

Is that $900 a TIP for the officer? Since the bar pays taxes why should the PD charge MORE for one day. You'll [city/county] make $$$$$$ for DUI, DIP, and all the rest anyways.

Not bashing, but sounds like quite a racket to me. Whats that break down per hour? $100.00 or so per officer?

900$ per officer is pretty cheap actually, if it's as big an operation as he says. There's more involved than sitting on the streetcorner.   You cause a hazardous situation in the course of business, expect to pay for the controlling of that hazard above and beyond your local taxes.  (Assuming the bar owner pays any.)

The average DWI here according to the county attorney, costs local govt 9K. The numbers REALLY goes up if there is a collision involved. Typical fines collected are in the 500-1500K range. (Assuming they pay too) How is that making money?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:05:28 AM EDT
[#22]
THe last time i was shit faced i was pukeing in the lawn of the house of the party, my last words i can remeber saying to my frieds were "dont let me die like Jimi Hendrix".........................
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that $900 a TIP for the officer?

Nope.  It pays the overtime for the officer plus wear & tear on equipment and workers comp insurance.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:11:12 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Wow, that is some bullshit. Guess there is nothing better for cops to do in TX these days than harrass citizens.

In most states it is illegal for a bar to serve an obviously intoxicant person. The elements of the crime fro Drunk is public is unable to care for yourself.  not simply intoxicated.

If someone is passed out in the bar bathroom or under the tables, coverd in his own vomit or piss/shit  he shouldnt get a ticket?

Silky's?????

I have an ex G/F, who i dumped badley,  who loves that bar.  So obviosuly i dont go there.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Yes, I'm sure this operation was cooked up when a bunch local cops got together and decided to go after citizens for unwinding in a bar.    Couldn't have possibly been a local politician/prosecutor/etc, "looking out for public safety" and tryng to score some browny points with the majority, nor might it have been the TABC leaning on them for their cooperation.  Either way, this came down on the cops and maybe the TABC from a higher source.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:12:58 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I'm sure this operation was cooked up when a bunch local cops got together and decided to go after citizens for unwinding in a bar.    Couldn't have possibly been a local politician/prosecutor/etc, "looking out for public safety" and tryng to score some browny points with the majority, nor might it have been the TABC leaning on them for their cooperation.  Either way, this came down on the cops and maybe the TABC from a higher source.

Absolutely

And Texas law makes it illegal to serve an intoxicated person.  That is not limited to a person who meets the definition of PI.  If the person is intoxicated they cannot be served period.  It is also illegal for the bar to allow an intoxicated person to remain on the premises.

Anyone who thinks drunks voluntarily get into cabs to go home, or think that because THEY have never driven drunk that others will not do it.....well, you are just naive.

And ts funny how everyone here talks about the "sheeple" and complains how the media twists gun stories, but when something like this is reported you all become the sheeple and react JUST LIKE the mdia wants you to.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
How can someone be charged for public intoxication if they are intoxicated on private property?

I hate how our legal system has twisted the definition of "public."

Unless the govenrment owns that particular bar then it is not "public" it is a private business.

Because a business that is open to the public has a different expectation of privacy than someplace that is open to the public.

So does this mean that cops can go into strip clubs and arrest the strippers for public indecency?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
How can someone be charged for public intoxication if they are intoxicated on private property?

Unless the govenrment owns that particular bar then it is not "public" it is a private business.

Because a business that is open to the public has a different expectation of privacy than someplace that is open to the public.

So does this mean that cops can go into strip clubs and arrest the strippers for public indecency?

No it means that there is a distinction between private property, ie someones home, and private property that is open to the public, ie commercial property.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Its been done before based on whatever local laws exist on the subject.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Paging Ron White......

I don't want to be drunk in public.  I want to be drunk in a bar.  Arrest them!

I love the way he says "public."

"Puhb-lick."

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Isn't this just in Texas?

Thank god they shut down my thread on this...www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=448240  

I'd hate to be in any way responsible for all the cop-bashing that will be going on here.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Also, I have never heard of ANYONE going drinking and then acting MORE responsibly. Reminds me of that WKRP in Cincinnati episode in which Johnny Fever's reactions get quicker with each drink he consumes.

pato

I act more responsibly after a couple drinks.  Alcohol makes me selfconscious.  Up to a point, anyway.

There, now you're heard of it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Sgt. Chris Hamilton, of the TABC, said some inebriated bar patrons "end up killing themselves or someone else" after departing the businesses.

Aaaah, the old arrest before they do anything wrong approach. Innocent untill proven guilty my ass, now you are guilty before the crime. Minority Report anyone
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely

And Texas law makes it illegal to serve an intoxicated person.  That is not limited to a person who meets the definition of PI.  If the person is intoxicated they cannot be served period.  It is also illegal for the bar to allow an intoxicated person to remain on the premises.

Anyone who thinks drunks voluntarily get into cabs to go home, or think that because THEY have never driven drunk that others will not do it.....well, you are just naive.

And ts funny how everyone here talks about the "sheeple" and complains how the media twists gun stories, but when something like this is reported you all become the sheeple and react JUST LIKE the mdia wants you to.

Anyone who thinks gun owners are not murderers, or think that because THEY have never murdered that others will not do it.....well, you are just naive.

Same thing, no?

It's called FREEDOM...Not being prosecuted for something you might do, but for something you DID do. BIG difference.

Reactive = freedom
Proactive = tyranny
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#35]
You cant blame this one on the street cops, though.  You know theres some administrator thats been around since prohibition and he thinks this is a good idea.  Ive been to bars in many states, but I NEVER saw as many cops (TABC) in bars as I did when I lived in Texas.  ( I am the not so proud recipient of two MIP charges) In the city where I work, we never see Liquor Control people in town.   And usually we only go to the bars on calls, or when we get off work.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 8:14:43 PM EDT
[#36]
My problem with this is what defines "intoxicated?"  At my body weight, I think 3-4 drinks officially means I can't legally drive.  If I drove, I'd be "driving while intoxicated."  But at 3-4 drinks, I'm far from not being able to care for myself.  Would I still get arrested?  That's BS.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#37]
That's wrong IMO!

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:45:34 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
In my city you can be arrested for being drunk in your own home.  Not by the police, but by your family or roomates. "Drunk in a private home to the annoyance of others" The victim/complaintant must sign an order of arrest and the cops transport the suspect to jail on that order.

Sounds like a CA for PC 415.

Brian
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Were the patrons actually arrested inside the bar or outside the bar?  Not sure why any officer would perform FSTs on a drunk in public.

Brian
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Public intoxication is for being in a public place not on public property.  By your reasoning it would be okay to have sex in the middle of Wal-Mart parking lot in front of young children because it is private property. If the public has access, then it is a public place.

You dont know what you are talking about.  The public has access to your front yard, is it public property?  I know for a fact that a bar/resturaunt is private property and as such you can do whatever you want basically as long as it is within the defined laws.  So if you owned a big building that had a driveway to it and opened the doors for all to come you could have an orgy in the middle if you so pleased.  As for children being present that is obviously some sort of child endangerment thing so I cannot understand why you would even say that.  

Police have NO jurisdiction to arrest a visibly intoxicated person on private property on the basis of being drunk alone....  This law is bullshit and anyone who supports it is a fucking idiot..
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Part of the rules that business agrees to abide by when it is licensed. The bar is public in that  anyone of age may enter from the street during business hours. It is not a private club such as the Elks, VFW or whatever, where you need to be a member or guest of a member to be present.

Bullshit.  Maybe in some states but there's no law in PA that says the licensee will not allow patrons top get drunk, etc.  As for serving the public...  You can be refused service for any reason, like the color of your hair for instance, in PA anyway..  Cant do that at the state dmv..
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:05:55 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

You dont know what you are talking about.  The public has access to your front yard, is it public property?  I know for a fact that a bar/resturaunt is private property and as such you can do whatever you want basically as long as it is within the defined laws.  So if you owned a big building that had a driveway to it and opened the doors for all to come you could have an orgy in the middle if you so pleased.  As for children being present that is obviously some sort of child endangerment thing so I cannot understand why you would even say that.  

Police have NO jurisdiction to arrest a visibly intoxicated person on private property on the basis of being drunk alone....  This law is bullshit and anyone who supports it is a fucking idiot..

Might I suggest you do a bit of research regarding PA law first?  I don't know PA law but I'm guessing you are incorrect.....

Brian
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
So, you have an 18 year old kid in a bar drinking alcohol in violation of State law. That's called "minor in possession" and it's a class c misdeemeanor in Texas. "making alcohol available to a minor" is a Class b, and that's the ticket that gets handed to the bartender/owner.

It's all fun and game suntil some kid gets killed and then it's "why didn't the police DO something to stop this tragedy?".

Also, there is no requirement to perform sobriety tests for public intoxication. Read the statute again. All it says is that the individual must be intoxicated to the point where he presents a danger to himself and others. For some, that can be after one drink--for others--it takes more. The law is intentionally vague to give officers discretion.

pato

And the solution is to arrest people on the assumption that they may commit a crime after they leave the bar?  Pleeeeaaaase!
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:13:17 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Might I suggest you do a bit of research regarding PA law first?  I don't know PA law but I'm guessing you are incorrect.....

Brian

I ran a bar(s) for 12 years.  I have on several occasions asked uniformed police officers to leave the premises immediatly.  I have asked them not to park their cruisers in my parking lot and they HAVE to comply and they always did.  Why?  Because its PRIVATE PROPERTY!  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I ran a bar(s) for 12 years.  I have on several occasions asked uniformed police officers to leave the premises immediatly.  I have asked them not to park their cruisers in my parking lot and they HAVE to comply and they always did.  Why?  Because its PRIVATE PROPERTY!  

Please provide the sections that support your belief - I might learn something.

Brian
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I think I need to call my state rep.  I've found some pork in the budget that needs cutting.

TABC is one of the state's biggest revenue generators.  hard to make a financial case against them.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

exactly.  i have always aintained an excellent working relaionship with the various LE agencies i've deal with in the business, but unless there is a complaint, they must respond to a request to leave.

that said, i actually like police presence at my place.  a smiling, uniformed cop makes for a wonderful deterrent to troublemakers, and tends to make the womenfolk feel safer.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:25:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Sections for what?  The law?  Establishments that serve alcohol fall under the jurisdiction of the PA Liquor Control Board.  They are an  extention of the State Police.  They do have the legal right to enter your establishment at any time for any reason.  And they have the right to surveil you at any time for any reason.  Local law enforcement are held to the standard laws regarding the rest of us in that they have to witness a crime, have reasonable suspicion(or whatever the term is nowadays) that a crime(s) are being committed, have been called to the establishment or been given access by the person given charge of the establishment at that time, or a warrant to enter your premises.  So If you have a guy on a barstool drunk, which in PA is subject because .08 applies while you are driving, and a cop walks in and tickets him for PD, it would fall flat on it's face in court.  Contrary to popular belief, the police do have limits on what they are allowed to do.

I do not have the Liquor Laws in front of me..  You look them up if you dont believe me.  I know how I ran my businesses..  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:26:47 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely

here's a fun little legal tidbit.

in one part of the texas bev code, it says that it is illegal to serve anyone who is "impaired" by alcohol.

in another section, it says that any amount of alcohol will cause impairment.

so by the letter of the law, it is illegal in texas to serve someone who has had a single drink.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#50]
And to clarify it is illegal by the slaw in PA to serve visibly intoxicated persons.  That being said.. The law does not spell out what visibly intoxicated means.  A person with MS could be construed as a VIP.  So basically it is unenforceable.  "He looked fine to me officer."  Alcohol servers do take courses in responsible alcohol management but we are not required to give field sobriety tests...

Besides this law is one that deals with hypotheticals..  Possibly commiting a crime..
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top