Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 7:31:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I have two labs...They're great dogs to have, very loyal.  They chew alot as puppies, so watch out.
Link Posted: 6/23/2005 8:19:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks everyone for all of the great info. It will definitely come in handy Im sure. Thanks again and keep it comin!

Link Posted: 6/24/2005 5:49:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Although some people here will disagree , I think that Lab's are the smartest breed out there .

BUT !  As puppies  , they are probably the most destructive too .  If possible , keep them outdoors when you are not home . And don't expect to have a nice yard or flower bed . They dig like crazy .

If both of you survive puppyhood , you will have the best friend in the world .
Link Posted: 6/24/2005 10:35:46 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Although some people here will disagree , I think that Lab's are the smartest breed out there .

BUT !  As puppies  , they are probably the most destructive too .  If possible , keep them outdoors when you are not home . And don't expect to have a nice yard or flower bed . They dig like crazy .

If both of you survive puppyhood , you will have the best friend in the world .

Thanks for the info. I have read that they are very intelligent. I have also heard that they like to dig. Is there is way to curb this behavior?. Thanks again.

Link Posted: 7/14/2005 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Went and picked him up from the breeder today, boy is he a handfull! He is eight weeks old and is just a little black ball of mischief. He is currently asleep, on the floor next to the couch. Thanks again everyone for the advice. If you have any more, it will be appreciated and needed Im sure!
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 9:31:19 PM EDT
[#6]
If he is going to be a hunting dog start working with him now. Take him out and fire .22 Rifles to get him used to the noise. We have tried to break several gun shy dogs and have never had any luck. However if there worked with when they are young I have never seen one to be gun shy.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Went and picked him up from the breeder today, boy is he a handfull! He is eight weeks old and is just a little black ball of mischief. He is currently asleep, on the floor next to the couch. Thanks again everyone for the advice. If you have any more, it will be appreciated and needed Im sure!

Crate training, KONGS, Rawhides and patiences.  Richard Wolter's Water Dog or Gun Dog book.

Patty
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 9:43:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey there! GREAT CHOICE ON A DOG! We have 3 labs and all are extremely loving and well mannered. However, they chew EVERYTHING that they can get their teeth on, so, be very careful about putting EVERYTHING up that you do not want destroyed. Seriously, they do not care what it is , they will chew on it. We have wooden chairs and end tables that have chew marks. I've found batteries with teeth marks on them. Sevreal pairs of shoes have "gone to the dogs" ( sorry couldn't resist. ) After that though, you will never find another dog that makes as good as a companion. PICS!!!! We need PICS!!!
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#9]
congrats on the lab, as you can see from the picture, whe I told Remington he couldnt have been happier.

Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Starting a thread about getting a puppy and not posting a pic of the puppy is a CoC violation.

If you don't want your account locked, I suggest you post a pic very soon.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#11]
You'll  love him/ her , my Willie boy is 11 now , slowing down some but wow what a good friend !
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:06:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
congrats on the lab, as you can see from the picture, whe I told Remington he couldnt have been happier.

matt1234.home.bresnan.net/remflop.JPG

Yeah, awesome pic. We have a black lab that goes by "Maggie" and is she such a sweatheart. She just turned a year not too long ago. Her brother "Tank" is as goofy and happy as can be. they are such wonderful dogs!
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks, as you can see Remington and Winchester are in deep conversation over the news of a new lab owners puppy.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, awesome pic. We have a black lab that goes by "Maggie" and is she such a sweatheart. She just turned a year not too long ago. Her brother "Tank" is as goofy and happy as can be. they are such wonderful dogs!

Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:11:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Thanks, as you can see Remington and Winchester are in deep conversation over the news of a new lab owners puppy.

matt1234.home.bresnan.net/dogs.JPG

Quoted:

Quoted:

How can I say this? God sure got it right when he made them.
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Hey good for you. Got my yellow last friday at 8 weeks old. Tomorrow Ms "M" will be 9 weeks and she is nearly house broke. My wife's yorkie is having some jealousy problems though. Get you dog lots of "chew toys" and you should'nt have any problems. Wal mart sell a rahide coverd chew bone that come in two packs. It has a hard flavoring inside that they can't seem to resist. Over the years I went from labs(for hunting) to blood hounds (for hunting escapes) to cockers (Small bird dog) and finally back to the good old Lab.

Oh yeh, the Yorkie does hunt mice (8 this winter from my wood pile) and small varmints. well she thinks she is a big dog
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

How can I say this? God sure got it right when he made them.

Thanks, thats a nice thing to say!  I love my dogs, they are my children.  Heres a pic I took a few weeks ago..

Here's one of Remy gettin ready to do some work last september

Link Posted: 7/14/2005 11:43:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I have been reading that rawhide is not good for dogs.  I got my new baby a cow's hoove (hoof?) and she loves it.  
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 11:48:36 PM EDT
[#18]
keeping dogs from digging?  oh about 6" of concrete.

Acctually I guess it might depend on what they are smelling in the dirt.  Ma Danby's folks  and sis have had a series  of Labs and none were diggers.  But they didn't have any ground critters, gophers, moles, toads, that they might go after.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Pics will be coming soon. I dont have a digital camera, but my friend stopped by today and took some awesome pics. When I get a second, I will post them. Thanks for the advice everyone and keep it coming, Im going to need it!

Link Posted: 7/15/2005 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I basically grew up with a "lab mix".  His mother was a black lab, father unknown.  He was freakishly human.  I consider him a brother to this day.  

RIP Ralf.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 2:59:58 AM EDT
[#22]
For all the reasons listed about how destructive they are a friend of my co worker gave me a one year old registered black male last week. They had a small fenced yard, three kids (3,8,11), and both parents worked. I have four acres fenced in and a female lab mix who is about two years old.
Got her fixed, put up an electric fence, he has hit it twice and now stays well away from it. They are crazy out there.

rk
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 3:28:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Lab puppies are dumber than a bag of hammer and just about as destructive for the first two years!!

My experinces are a +1 with everyone elses.

Play with the dog as much as possible.
Don't play with the dog indoors.
If you know the mother and father measure up how high their tail is and then move everything that is at about that tail level off of shelves, tables, walls.  
Labs LOVE to play tug of war with rope (or bed sheets, pillows, couch cushions, doors.....)
It's a lab, so make sure that you have a nice lake, pond, or ocean access that you can let it play in.
Labs LOVE water!
Labs love public dog parks!
As soon as possible get both of you into an obediance class. Two reasons, one, it gets you trained by a professional (the class is for you, not the dog ) and two, it gets the puppy used to other dogs.
Your back yard is going to have some unique landscaping done to it.
If you have a wood fence you might as well either buy cinder blocks or else get some free rocks and line the bottom of the fence with them.
Anything to keep the dogs nose from being able to poke under the fence.

You are so screwed!  

Link Posted: 7/16/2005 3:51:44 AM EDT
[#24]
If you have never owned a dog before I suggest you buy and read the book "Good Dog, Bad Dog" by Margolis.  

Also buy a CRATE and crate train your dog.  It makes house breaking easier and if used properly (not as punishment after he's done something wrong) it gives the dog a "safe" place to go.  Once they get to about a year old you can probably get rid of the crate.  Someone mentioned waking at 3:30am to let him out; DON"T.  I am in the process now of training my newest puppy and he goes from 2200hrs to 0530hrs with out accidents in his crate.  Just restrict his water intake after 2030hrs and let him out just before you crate him.  Put your puppy on a feeding schedule and it will also aid in the house breaking process.  Just what ever you do NEVER hit you dog as punishment it only teaches him to fear you not respect you.

Good luck with your new best friend.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 5:18:57 AM EDT
[#25]
a labrador puppy will chew the fender off a dodge truck, while you're watching.  if you let him....
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 5:34:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Mine was quite the handfull when I first got her.  She is my second lab and I wouldn't trade her for the world.  She is very good around kids.  One night a bunch of us had a get together and one of my friends has a 2 year old.  My lab followed the kid around all night making sure nothing bad would happen to him.

Give your log lots of attention and love and he/she will do the same.
Good luck!

ETA:  My may be full of energy when they are young, but around 3-4 years of age they become big couch potatos.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 5:48:15 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Mine was quite the handfull when I first got her.  She is my second lab and I wouldn't trade her for the world.  She is very good around kids.  One night a bunch of us had a get together and one of my friends has a 2 year old.  My lab followed the kid around all night making sure nothing bad would happen to him.

Give your log lots of attention and love and he/she will do the same.
Good luck!

pic11.picturetrail.com/VOL397/2077705/4030481/59118637.jpg

pic11.picturetrail.com/VOL397/2077705/4030481/89805416.jpg

ETA:  My may be full of energy when they are young, but around 3-4 years of age they become big couch potatos.

that's one good looking dog!
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 5:56:35 AM EDT
[#28]
I've never seen so much shedding from an animal as from my lab.
But they are awesome dogs and well worth any inconveniences.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 6:00:07 AM EDT
[#29]
Previous owner of all three colors of the Labrador family...my personal assessment.

Yellow Labs are the most stubborn canine I've ever encountered.

Black Labs are the kindest and most affectionate.

Chocolate Labs are absolutely nuts...therefore my favorite.  

Link Posted: 7/16/2005 6:28:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
If you have never owned a dog before I suggest you buy and read the book "Good Dog, Bad Dog" by Margolis.  

Also buy a CRATE and crate train your dog.  It makes house breaking easier and if used properly (not as punishment after he's done something wrong) it gives the dog a "safe" place to go.  Once they get to about a year old you can probably get rid of the crate.  Someone mentioned waking at 3:30am to let him out; DON"T.  I am in the process now of training my newest puppy and he goes from 2200hrs to 0530hrs with out accidents in his crate.  Just restrict his water intake after 2030hrs and let him out just before you crate him.  Put your puppy on a feeding schedule and it will also aid in the house breaking process.  Just what ever you do NEVER hit you dog as punishment it only teaches him to fear you not respect you.

Good luck with your new best friend.

Last night I took him out a few times to go to the bathroom, and I put him in his crate at 11:30 and left him in there all night. He whined and yipped alot, but at around 3:00 am he quieted down and I was able to grab a couple hours of shuteye before getting up a 6:30 to take him out. I have read that you are supposed to ignore them when they whine in their crate and not let them out until they calm down because if you let them out while they are whining, they figure out that "hmm if I whine he will let me out". It was tough, but I left him in there. Hope he does a little better tonight. I think he will get used to it soon.

Link Posted: 7/16/2005 7:10:03 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Last night I took him out a few times to go to the bathroom, and I put him in his crate at 11:30 and left him in there all night. He whined and yipped alot, but at around 3:00 am he quieted down and I was able to grab a couple hours of shuteye before getting up a 6:30 to take him out. I have read that you are supposed to ignore them when they whine in their crate and not let them out until they calm down because if you let them out while they are whining, they figure out that "hmm if I whine he will let me out". It was tough, but I left him in there. Hope he does a little better tonight. I think he will get used to it soon.

Some say wear an old tee shirt all day, and put it in his crate at night till he is adjusted. Assuming the pup likes you, yout smell well be comforting or what not to it.

Wonder if thats true...
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#32]

They will calm down after a while.  Mine used to wake around 0300 and cry and whine sometimes for 15 minutes sometimes an hour but now he's quiet through the whole night.  When you put him in hte crate at night bring a tiny piece of a dog treat with you and as you get him in give a command (I use "Go to bed") and when they are in the crate give him a good ear rub session and the treat.  After two weeks my pup now goes into the crate on command, not every time but the training is working.  You can also try crating him periodically through out the day to get him used to it.  When I would notice that mine was settling down for a good nap I would pick him up a put him in the crate.  I also take one dog toy he can chew (same toy every rime) and that goes in the crate with him.

One more thing...BUY THAT BOOK "Good Dog, Bad Dog"
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I currently have a black lab, and have had black and yellow labs in the past. The main thing I would get would be a small swimming pool from Wal-Mart, they only run around twenty bucks or so and I promise you it will be the best thing you can give your lab. Labs LOVE WATER. Enjoy!! (by the way you may want to get yourself some Valium)..

No kidding:

Korben

Leeloo Young
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Just watch out for the demon ones,

They'll try and steal your kids!

Link Posted: 7/16/2005 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#35]
You''ll  love your lab.    

Our two.

Spend time with them, run em and this is the result.

Link Posted: 7/16/2005 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Here are some pics. They are kinda crappy, but I hope to have some better ones soon. This little bugger sure is a sleep depriver!! And he loves to pee, ALOT!!

Link Posted: 7/16/2005 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Welcome home puppy!!!
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Congratulations on your lab.  Whazziz nayme?
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Damn man dogs nothin but a blur slow him down ! He looks like he's gonna have the couch potato Lab thing down pat . Good Luck He looks like a good one. Does he float ?
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 9:19:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Cute pup!  Sort of looks like a baby seal

Quoted:
Here are some pics. They are kinda crappy, but I hope to have some better ones soon. This little bugger sure is a sleep depriver!! And he loves to pee, ALOT!!

img343.imageshack.us/img343/426/dsc009059uu.th.jpg
img343.imageshack.us/img343/1857/dsc009064fr.th.jpg
img343.imageshack.us/img343/7837/dsc009011yg.th.jpg

Link Posted: 7/17/2005 5:18:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Good looking dog!
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 6:06:08 AM EDT
[#42]
congratulations,    labs are great dogs.     There is a website www.labwoodkennels.com that has a FAQ on it that will answer some questions about how to keep them quiet for the first few days and how to start training and some stuff like that.

There are some great books out there on training them and stuff as well.  I used to take a pup out of my dad's best litter,  train him for a year and run him in trials and put a few points on him and then sell him.  Generally for between 1 and 3 thousand dollars.  It was a sweet way for a little kid to make good money in the summer.

Plus,  winning a trial against professional trainers when you are 8 years old is priceless
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 6:24:34 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Damn man dogs nothin but a blur slow him down ! He looks like he's gonna have the couch potato Lab thing down pat . Good Luck He looks like a good one. Does he float ?

Yeah, he like to sleep alot, and generally just lay around. He can get pretty rambunctious sometimes but then he calms down and falls asleep for a few hours. Not sure if he floats yet, but we did get him a small pool and filled it up a couple inches, but he just climbs in and drinks the water.

By the way, his name is Buddy. Nothing original, but I just kept calling him that anyways so it seemed like it fits.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 6:25:16 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
congratulations,    labs are great dogs.     There is a website www.labwoodkennels.com that has a FAQ on it that will answer some questions about how to keep them quiet for the first few days and how to start training and some stuff like that.

There are some great books out there on training them and stuff as well.  I used to take a pup out of my dad's best litter,  train him for a year and run him in trials and put a few points on him and then sell him.  Generally for between 1 and 3 thousand dollars.  It was a sweet way for a little kid to make good money in the summer.

Plus,  winning a trial against professional trainers when you are 8 years old is priceless

Thanks for the link man. Some good info there.

Link Posted: 7/17/2005 7:07:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Great looking puppy!!
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Good DOG! Got two. Brown and Black. Crazy for em! Cuz they are crazy for us.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Congrats!  My wife and I just adpoted a dog that is a 1yr old belgian malinoi shepheard/ Black Lab mix.  Great dog, we love her.  The best things you can get are a toy called a Kong, you put treats or peanut butter in it, and another called a chuck-it, its a stick kinda like a clay target thrower but for tennis balls.  The chuck-it is the best, no slober from the balls and you get to wear the dog out really fast if you use a few balls at once, good for those nights when you don't have time to wear the dog out.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 8:34:26 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Congrats!  My wife and I just adpoted a dog that is a 1yr old belgian malinoi shepheard/ Black Lab mix.  Great dog, we love her.  The best things you can get are a toy called a Kong, you put treats or peanut butter in it, and another called a chuck-it, its a stick kinda like a clay target thrower but for tennis balls.  The chuck-it is the best, no slober from the balls and you get to wear the dog out really fast if you use a few balls at once, good for those nights when you don't have time to wear the dog out.  

Belgian Malinois are really cool dogs. Sounds like an interesting mix. You got any pics of your dog?

I got him a kong, and hes seems to like it, but it might still be a little too big for him yet. I will definitely have to look into the chuck-it. Sounds like a cool toy. Thanks.

Link Posted: 7/17/2005 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Labs and German Shepherds are my favorite breeds of dogs.  Both are incredibly smart.
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 9:03:29 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I got him a kong, and hes seems to like it, but it might still be a little too big for him yet.

Another teething tip that our breeder gave us for our lab when he was a puppy was to fill a Kong up with plain unsweetened yogurt and freeze it. It'll numb the gums, and keep him busy for a looooong time trying to get all the yogurt out.

Our Lab (who is now 3) still has the kong we got him when he was a puppy ... about the only dog toy out there that will last for years.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top