Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sweat thread!

So did Wittman have any Tiger 1's shot out from under him or did he ride through the war in the same buggy?

He and his crew lost one that I know of at Villers-Bocage from a 6pder AT gun hit .

A 6 pounder (57mm) would bounce off a Tiger, hell I doubt you could penetrate a Tiger from point blank range with that gun.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:18:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sweat thread!

So did Wittman have any Tiger 1's shot out from under him or did he ride through the war in the same buggy?

He and his crew lost one that I know of at Villers-Bocage from a 6pder AT gun hit .

A 6 pounder (57mm) would bounce off a Tiger, hell I doubt you could penetrate a Tiger from point blank range with that gun.

Tell that to the Tiger. He's quite right, they got it rather well from the side, and knocked out the tank.

The US was using 90mm tank guns on tank destroyers, and some "special" Shermans.

Not in Normandy. Harry Yeide's "The Tank Killers" is probably the definitive book on the Tank Destroyer corps. A problem the TDs had was that they had learned the wrong lesson in North Africa, and had converted a lot of M10 and M18 battalions to towed 3" guns. Not much use in the offense.

NTM
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:17:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
www.tiger-tank.com/.......

That was cool.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 5:39:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quote: A 6 pounder (57mm) would bounce off a Tiger, hell I doubt you could penetrate a Tiger from point blank range with that gun.

From the front, and some areas of the side it would bounce off , but a low flank(road wheels, track or lower hull side) or rear shot could mess up the Tiger's day. They probably waited until the Tiger passed them by and then took their shot; it was a common tactic used by troops with less-than-adequate guns vs. heavy tanks.  Tanks can be ambushed by just about anyone with a little patience and good timing.  

The Tiger was a good tank, but it wasn't invincible.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:59:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.tiger-tank.com/.......

That was cool.

very cool.....my hat's off to the Brits for saving 131, and if you guys ever get bored with it....
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Tanks can be ambushed by just about anyone with a little patience and good timing.

And brass balls the size of bowling balls!  
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
That's just my opinion, but I'm right.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top