Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:45:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Giving her a new pair of pants would not have solved the root cause. She would have shit them too.

If you change a persons pants they will be clean for a day.

Teach a person not to shit them selves and they will be clean the rest of their lives.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Bullshit
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I tried to donate a good, working, 27" TV to a local Goodwill. They refused it because it wasn't a flat screen. I gave it to some Christian charity outfit instead. They were happy to have it.

Bullshit

This ^

I tend to agree .... just this past summer I donated a tiny 20" tube TV to my local Goodwill. I frequently visit inside the store also just to look around ( tools - cast iron pans etc ) and I always see a ton of older tube TVs they obviously just recieved
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Those are garbage now.  You gave it to a Christian charity who threw it in the dumpster after you left.

Here was have "bulk trash day" periodically where you can put big items on the curb.  The local scrappers know the scheduled neighborhoods and drive the streets before the trash trucks come through.  They will take anything that might be fixable, scrappable or have recycling value.  They won't take those old TVs.  

People would rather receive herpes than a tube TV.
View Quote

Nope. Went back a week later. Was sitting on a TV stand turned on and working with a $20 price tag on it. Took them a kitchen table and chairs and coffee table then.

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:18:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Giving her a new pair of pants would not have solved the root cause. She would have shit them too.

If you change a persons pants they will be clean for a day.

Teach a person not to shit them selves and they will be clean the rest of their lives.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:26:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Because no one will buy it, and then they have to pay for its disposal.  We have thrift stores all over this area that can't even give them away.  I've literally seen tags on them saying FREE, and no one will touch them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I tried to donate a good, working, 27" TV to a local Goodwill. They refused it because it wasn't a flat screen. I gave it to some Christian charity outfit instead. They were happy to have it.

Because no one will buy it, and then they have to pay for its disposal.  We have thrift stores all over this area that can't even give them away.  I've literally seen tags on them saying FREE, and no one will touch them.

I believe you both.

I agree that Goodwill is a sham for the most part. They get things donated for free, and I was told if they get a matching suit, they will separate jacket from the pants for some reason.

And I know for a fact they have gone up significantly on their prices in my area.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:33:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The story says she was shopping in the store, then later says she had zero money
View Quote

It makes perfect sense if you are homeless.

You go to GW, spend all day reading in the book section, or browsing while in a climate controlled facility, its usually near a bus stop so you can get back to the shelter easily.

I think a lot of our members here don't know what it's like to live on a real low budget of like zero dollars.

That is both good and sad at the same time.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 1:50:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:26:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Bullshit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

Double bullshit!
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#10]
ETA: Having researched a little farther, Goodwill is no AS BAD as I had thought.
Doesn't make them good, just not quite as evil. Like the Diet Coke of evil, not evil enough.
They are still a business, and businesses will business.

I also consider the aforementioned Wounded Warrior Project more a business than a charity. There are much better options.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I believe you both.

I agree that Goodwill is a sham for the most part. They get things donated for free, and I was told if they get a matching suit, they will separate jacket from the pants for some reason.

And I know for a fact they have gone up significantly on their prices in my area.
View Quote

I never understood that. Who wants half a suit?
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You go to GW, spend all day reading in the book section, or browsing while in a climate controlled facility, its usually near a bus stop so you can get back to the shelter easily.

I think a lot of our members here don't know what it's like to live on a real low budget of like zero dollars.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The story says she was shopping in the store, then later says she had zero money

Pretty spot on of my assessment also

Having been in numerous thrift stores when I am out and about on a 'junkin spree'

Often I am humbled when I see a young poor mom with a couple of her kids in one shopping for their clothes for school or whatever.

Not sure of their store politics or their revenue stream ... but I donate to the local GW a lot of things I know they sell for a nice profit. Saves me the drama of a garage sale or the extra weight of a heavy trashcan to the curb

And I like to think they are helping some people who truly need it along the way
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 3:28:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You are wrong.

He is right:
View Quote

Shit, I'll take an old CRT for free.   I want one to do a mame cabinet.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 4:48:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Double bullshit!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullshit

Double bullshit!

Back on page one I posted the phone number. Give 'em a call.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top