Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:32:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Was the South African R4 a licensed clone of the Galil?  One of my supervisors was a SA police superintendent and he spoke very highly of them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:41:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was the South African R4 a licensed clone of the Galil?  One of my supervisors was a SA police superintendent and he spoke very highly of them.
View Quote

Vektor made the R4, R5 and R6 versions under license. They're slightly modified versions of the Galil.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 1:14:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I paid $750.00 for my ARM .223 back in 1986
Still have it.
View Quote

I hate you!

I want an ARM.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 7:54:40 PM EDT
[#6]

All his threads are the same. None ever involve anything post 1990.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Plus quality galil clones are expensive. Its either pre-89's or ORF builds.

The other option is CAI. And people that have owned century guns usually say "never again"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've wondered for years why the Galil didn't take off in popularity.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

they're heavy as hell for a 5.56 carbine, and mags are expensive.
They are heavy. The mags aren't too expensive around 20 to 30 each, unless your thinking about the 308 version those are about 100 each.  

The other option is CAI. And people that have owned century guns usually say "never again"
I seem to have gotten lucky with my CAI Galil.  It's an odd duck, too.  It's my understanding that the AR type Galil with wooden handguard is not common.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
that video is fake.

that guy didn't have a big enough grin on his face when he finished shooting.
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:05:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

HA that's a good one.

Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Buy a torch cut receiver from APEX for all of $15, google TurboThis, send him a kit with the receiver, he will weld up the receiver and assemble the kit and do an awesome job and you will have a factory IMI Galil for under $1000.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Besides century and "Elite" (I think is the name) has anyone tried making quality galis US at an affordable cost?

I don't know if it's possible, but I'd sure like one.  I realize it won't do anything for you that an AR piston gun in 556 won't likely do better...but fuck it, I'd buy one.

Buy a torch cut receiver from APEX for all of $15, google TurboThis, send him a kit with the receiver, he will weld up the receiver and assemble the kit and do an awesome job and you will have a factory IMI Galil for under $1000.

He's on theakforum.net and don't waste your money.  They are torch cut through the front lugs and cannot be safely welded back together.  I bought one several years back from Apex and emailed him with pics.  He explained this problem to me and that it was a no-go.  Unless something has changed since then.  ETA: If it has please let me know, I would love to have an "almost" real galil

ETA #2: Those have been instock at apex for years, likely because of this very problem.  They have had usable torch cut receivers for Ak pattern guns in the past, which sell out VERY quickly
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

He's on theakforum.net and don't waste your money.  They are torch cut through the front lugs and cannot be safely welded back together.  I bought one several years back from Apex and emailed him with pics.  He explained this problem to me and that it was a no-go.  Unless something has changed since then.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Besides century and "Elite" (I think is the name) has anyone tried making quality galis US at an affordable cost?

I don't know if it's possible, but I'd sure like one.  I realize it won't do anything for you that an AR piston gun in 556 won't likely do better...but fuck it, I'd buy one.

He's on theakforum.net and don't waste your money.  They are torch cut through the front lugs and cannot be safely welded back together.  I bought one several years back from Apex and emailed him with pics.  He explained this problem to me and that it was a no-go.  Unless something has changed since then.

Says on apex not to be reused
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 8:14:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I paid $750.00 for my ARM .223 back in 1986
Still have it.
View Quote

Wish I had bought 5 instead of just 1 in '88.....I need a crystal ball
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top