Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I like my QC inspected Wasr 63 with upgrades

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:15:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the Romanian SAR-1 (pre WASR) which is not sophisticated, but pure & simple like Kalashnikov AK was meant to be...  Ugly, but it always works great with never a fumble or choke...
View Quote

This all day long

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I used to be like you OP.

I bought a "nice" AK.

It worked, but everything else about it sucked ass. The trigger, the sights, the ergos, the recoil, all of it. From the moment I ran through the first mag I fucking hated it. What good is cheap ammo if the platform blows and its not fun to shoot?

I quickly sold it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was talking about the bolt.

The bolt and carrier aren't chrome either.  Simply unfinished steel "in the white".
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Go for the WASR.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:26:22 PM EDT
[#6]
The best AK47 I've ever owned (and I did own a Galil model AR 7.62 Nato back in the early 1990's; which ignorant people mistakenly call an AK47, which it is not) was probably an Arsenal Inc SAM7SF, which was the most accurate of all the AK47 rifles I've owned and is made in Las Vegas. I have owned Polytech Legend series milled receiver AK47, Norinco AK47, and Yugoslavian AK47. As I mentioned before the Galil is not an AK47. It did take the basic internal parts of the AK47 design, but, it was much more refined(rough edges removed, improved night sights added, ambidexterous safety, and a heavy duty folding stock patterned after the FN FAL paratrooper stock) and much, much more accurate. If I was in the market for an AK47 I'd get an Arsenal Inc. If I wanted a better, more accurate, heavier hitting rifle based on the AK47 design I'd get a Galil.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:33:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I bought a "nice" AK.

It worked, but everything else about it sucked ass. The trigger, the sights, the ergos, the recoil, all of it. From the moment I ran through the first mag I fucking hated it. What good is cheap ammo if the platform blows and its not fun to shoot?

I quickly sold it.
View Quote

Stick with .22 LR  
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:35:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Arsenal's are popular, expensive, and have a lot of quality control problems.

Find a nice Yugo M70B1. The are heavy, chromed, and a work horse.
View Quote

only if they were built with a new chrome lined USA made barrel
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Avoid the Century RAS and anything by IO like the plague.

Arsenal is where it's at if you have the coin.

I'd also avoid the US made AKs by DDI, they've been having issues.

The WASR is by far the best bang for the buck
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/85319/My-AK-111247.JPG
Older Chicom is the route I went.  Picked up a NIB double underfolder last year for my Birthday.  It has one of the best triggers I've ever felt in a rifle.  Highly recommend but they are not cheap.  If I get another one, I'd just build it myself.
View Quote

I dunno about the best triggers, but a lot better than I expected.  

I've had a number of older Chicoms, and they have all been totally reliable.  Countless cases of ammo through them, only malfunctions have been bad primers and a dead mag spring.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#11]
How about a good Norinco or Polytech?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Not for nothing, but if I were buying for the first time I wold get the KS47 from Palmetto. I'm reading good things about it, mostly it's more accurate than an ak and has AR adaptability with rails... As it is right now I have AK and can't justify dropping more $ on one....
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How about a good Norinco or Polytech?
View Quote

Right!!?

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:01:22 PM EDT
[#14]
I would recommend a Vepr or if you want something light, a recently made Wasr.

DDI apparently has had a few issues, IO is an utter disaster, RAS 47s fall apart. Second generation Palmetto State AKs are pretty good, if you can get one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:08:06 PM EDT
[#15]
vepr
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I bought a "nice" AK.

I quickly sold it.
View Quote

I think tapco makes nothing but crap. Except for their trigger. My WASR came with it and it rivals my 2 geiselle triggers.

I think you're the first person who didn't think shooting an AK was fun. Even guys who call them trash can guns have a big smile after mag dumping a 75 round drum.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:22:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Avoid the Century RAS and anything by IO like the plague.

Arsenal is where it's at if you have the coin.

I'd also avoid the US made AKs by DDI, they've been having issues.

The WASR is by far the best bang for the buck
View Quote

What issues are the ddi rifles having?  Mine has been flawless so far.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:23:57 PM EDT
[#18]
WASR vote.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I think tapco makes nothing but crap. Except for their trigger. My WASR came with it and it rivals my 2 geiselle triggers.

I think you're the first person who didn't think shooting an AK was fun. Even guys who call them trash can guns have a big smile after mag dumping a 75 round drum.
View Quote

Tried that, it was pretty annoying, really.  "When the fuck is this going to be empty so I can stop shooting it?"
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:37:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would avoid all AK's that have formed steel receivers, maybe go for something with forged aluminum receivers. Also if you can find one with a DI gas system, that's what you want, preferrably chambered in 5.56x45. Free floating barrels have been a nice improvement, and something with a top rail so you can mount a nice optic.

That's the AK you should buy.
View Quote

I already have a couple AKs like that.

WASR is looking like a the front runner now.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Avoid all American AKs, including DDI (for now).
View Quote

Commie stuff FTW
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:40:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Tried that, it was pretty annoying, really.  "When the fuck is this going to be empty so I can stop shooting it?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a rifle you can load on sunday and shoot all month.  

I'll also second the endorsement for the Tapco G2 trigger, probably the best $20 I've ever spent on firearms parts.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:42:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I like my Poly Tech.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Avoid anything rebuilt if you can.

Avoid Century Arms.

Avoid companies that stone the finish off the receiver to make it feel slicker new... (DDI)

Avoid Romanian.

Look for imports. TGI imported AMD's, imported Yugos, Veprs, SGLs, etc.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Based on AK4774 Operators Union and their torture tests, and my own experience, I would recommend in no particular order:

Arsenal
Wasr
Chinese Ak's
Palmetto States AK (if you want American)
Molot/Vepr
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:45:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Mesa Kinetic Research out of Lousiana makes excelent AKs, but you will pay for it. They can turn a shit parts gun or wasr into a MOA capable rifle. The company is owned by Vince Buckles (SOG fame) and he works along side Will Sabatini. Both guys were grads of the gunsmith school I go to and they decided to come do a build class with us over a couple days. The level of detail they go into is insane, like down to making sure there are no gaps between the rivets and receiver. The whole process was crazy. They source parts from Childers Guns (Cameron also came to the class), and the receivers he makes are top notch.

MKR page
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Coming out post?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 1:48:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Avoid Century Arms.

Avoid companies that stone the finish off the receiver to make it feel slicker new... (DDI)

Avoid Romanian.

View Quote

"Wrong"

-Trump
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I already have a couple AKs like that.

WASR is looking like a the front runner now.
View Quote

The Gen2 PSAK47 has gotten some pretty good reviews and made it through the 5,000 round test with AKOU and is $699.

Unfortunately, they only build like 5 at a time (based on how fast they sell out), so good luck getting one.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:10:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Coming out post?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coming out post?

Stoopid new site... ff to :53    
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:15:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

What issues are the ddi rifles having?  Mine has been flawless so far.
View Quote

Bad extractors for one, also reports of problems with the FCG.

AK Operators union is a good place to get info for the most part.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Arsenal is good to go. I just sold mine because I replaced it with something I'll shoot more, but I would buy one again in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:18:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Avoid Century Arms. No, just their US made garbage.

Avoid Romanian. WASRs are one of the best entry level AKs out there, much better than most everything under $800.

View Quote
Yugos have a lot of issues too.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#34]
I really need a new pic.

Arsenal SLR107FR

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#35]
AK prices are crazy. The good times are gone.

I wouldn't care about them if I wasn't already in the game.

YMMV
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Buy an unmolested (no 922r BS) AK pistol such as a draco or an Zastava m92.
View Quote
^this.  Currently selling for $500 or less. 

Century's PAPs are good rifles for $600 or so.  Basically an imported AK with a few US made parts for compliance. 
There's no way I'm going to pay anything close to $1000 for an Arsenal AK. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:11:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/85319/My-AK-111247.JPG
Older Chicom is the route I went.  Picked up a NIB double underfolder last year for my Birthday.  It has one of the best triggers I've ever felt in a rifle.  Highly recommend but they are not cheap.  If I get another one, I'd just build it myself.
View Quote

If I ever decide to buy another AK, and I probably will, it is going to be this exact one. Beautiful.
ETA: forgot to add that I just got back from New Mexico and got to shoot off a few hundred rounds from my yugo M92. It was fun with zero malfunctions and huuuuge fireballs.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yeah; God forbid someone actually posts a bona-fide topic in the section created for the exact topic under discussion....rather than posting in GD..
View Quote

Ain't this cute. GD has a lil' moderator (wanna-be).
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:21:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Ain't this cute. GD has a lil' moderator (wanna-be).
View Quote

Mouse sniffer?

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Mouse sniffer?

View Quote

Lol.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Honestly for the price of WASRs they are hard to beat. I shoot my WASR more then my other AKs.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Honestly for the price of WASRs they are hard to beat. I shoot my WASR more then my other AKs.
View Quote

Prices now have relegated the pre-ban Chicom AK's to safe queens.

They used to be the cheap blasters.  Oh how times have changed.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#43]
I bought one of those bastard 10 rd WASRs and milled out the receiver area to accept standard AK mags.  Runs fine.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:13:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Just sit back and wait for Trump to remove the import ban and get some com bloc goodness.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Yeah I would hold off for a little while and see what happens with the prices
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:29:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Just sit back and wait for Trump to remove the import ban and get some com bloc goodness.
View Quote

Probably my most likely path, I'll be keeping my eye on WASR prices as well as being on the lookout for deals on Saigas and Arsenals.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:32:24 PM EDT
[#47]
From what I'm reading in this thread, this would be a pretty good rifle right?

link
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:45:27 PM EDT
[#48]
pertinant to my trashcan interests.  I have ALOT of 7.62x39 laying around.

Right now I have a Saiga,made by Izhmash (the real AK factory) if you go that route plan on doing a trigger job and a little tweaking so that it takes standard mags.  ( its easy to do. I don't know much did mine a few years back they may have them with pistol grips ect. mine came with a hunting stock, and only able to take shitty mags ( think pre AWB /CA complaint) It cost me $300 and another $100 to make it right.

I love that thing, It's pretty damn accurate, cheap to shoot, and seeing how they leave them rust up in Africa for 20 years and they still function... well mine isn't going in the trashcan.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:50:46 PM EDT
[#49]
New WASR if you don't want to spend the money on an Arsenal.  I've had both and one isn't any better than the other except for looks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#50]
My granddaddy recently passed away, and left me his safe.  In said safe, which yes he left the combo to, are a couple of these things.

I know one of them is a century.  

Dont know a thing about ak's

Why do we avoid century?

I think there are about 12 different ones in there, I just havent had time to inventory that safe.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top