Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:40:05 AM EDT
[#1]
My GMC Sonoma has 180K on it.  Vortec V6, Reese hitch, 4wd.  Looks like a new truck.

Scott
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:45:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
[URL]http://www.toyota.com/about/news/manufacturing/2003/06/18-1-tmmtx.html[/URL]

[B]"By 2006, Toyota will have capacity to build 1.65 million cars and trucks a year and 1.16 million engines in North America. Toyota currently employs some 34,000 people throughout North America. The company's direct investment is nearly $14 billion with annual parts, materials, goods and services purchased from North American suppliers totaling nearly $20 billion. Toyota's North American-produced vehicles include the Avalon, Camry, Corolla, Matrix, Sienna, Solara, Sequoia, Tacoma and Tundra, and Voltz. Beginning in the fall of 2003, the Lexus RX 330 will be produced at the automaker's plant in Ontario, Toyota Motor Manufacturing Canada."[/B]

View Quote

They are building a plant here in San Antonio in 05.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:51:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I've to date owned 3 Ford f150/F250's,  One 81 Chevy One ton crew cab, and a 73 Toyota Land Cruiser Station Wagon.

The land Cruiser oil pump went out and I locked it up at 75K,  (That old straight 6)

The Chevy finally cracked the block and died at a little over 250k  (Towing a 10,000 pound gooseneck at the time)  Replaced everything on that truck from the power steering pump to the transmission. In fairness,  it was heavily abused as a hunting/work truck.  Burned oil from day 1.  Big deal.  Carry an extra quart.

I have never done anything to any of the F150's aside from wrecking them.  Current one has 120K,  (98) I MIGHT consider getting rid of it around 200K.  It's the perfect tow vehicle.

Sorry,  but I have yet to see a Import truck that will tow the capacity I need,  cost less to repair or insure, has the bed and interior space, or the engine size,  for under the 19K that I paid for the 98 extended cab.

What good is an extra 2-3 miles per gallon when you paid an extra 10K$ for the truck?

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:18:20 AM EDT
[#4]
As previously stated, you guys are comparing full size and (much) larger trucks to 'rice burners'.  There is no comparison, I agree.

However - after driving many different Chevy and Ford half pints and full sizes I have one challenge:

Which truck would you rather be driving after 3 years of use?  S-10, F-150, or Tundra?

Some of the trucks I had to drive had interior parts literally falling off when driving.

I bought a new Tundra in '01 and STILL smile every time I write the payment check. 3 years old and not even a RATTLE over washboard.  I got tired of nickle and dime repairs and don't have the time to spend doing them.  I'll pay more for a good car that I get to spend more time in than under.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:30:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Gotta admit it. If you push the towing/hauling capacity of your 1/2 ton pretty frequently and aren't willing to step up to the logical 3/4 or 1 ton, the domestic stuff (1/2 ton)is gonna do better, they're usually rated to haul another couple hundred pounds or tow another 1K lbs.
Cost of vehicles? hummm, for the same features, the Ford F150 would have cost me about another $500 over my Tundra. Not even a decision there for me. My ricer does everything I'll need it to do, it'll work hard for me (and already has) and be cheaper to own while it's doing it. It won't do the work of an F350, but then again, unlike some, I don't judge it like it was a 1 ton.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:35:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
As previously stated, you guys are comparing full size and (much) larger trucks to 'rice burners'.  There is no comparison, I agree.

However - after driving many different Chevy and Ford half pints and full sizes I have one challenge:

Which truck would you rather be driving after 3 years of use?  S-10, F-150, or Tundra?

Some of the trucks I had to drive had interior parts literally falling off when driving.

I bought a new Tundra in '01 and STILL smile every time I write the payment check. 3 years old and not even a RATTLE over washboard.  I got tired of nickle and dime repairs and don't have the time to spend doing them.  I'll pay more for a good car that I get to spend more time in than under.
View Quote

No brainer.

Any one of the F-150's I have owned.

(flame suit on!).......
I would rather push my Ford than drive a rice burner!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:43:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
3 years old and not even a RATTLE over washboard.  
View Quote

For the record, my '99 4Runner SR5 has multiple when on the washboard.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Lexus badged version of the Land Cruser uses the [s]lexus[/s][red]Toyota I-Force V8[/red] DOHC V8-and they are DAMN lucky that no one who buys those things really takes them off road. DOHC valvtrains and 4WD LOW gearing do NOT make a reliable conbination.[red]Bullshit![bs][/red]

The [s]Toyota Land Cruser[/s] sorry [i]Sequoia[/i][red]Sequoia and Land Cruiser are two entirely different vehicles[/red] though its a Land Cruser everywhere else in the world, gets the same pushrod engine as the Tundra[red]The Tundra utilizes the Toyota I-Force V8, as does the LC[/red]. Because its intended to be more of a work vheicle. [>:/][red]WTF are you talking about?  The newer Land Cruisers are a posh city mobile, that most yups would be terrified to get mud in.[/red]

Toyota and General Motors have had on again off again production agreements going back to before WWII. The straight six engine that powered the Land Cruser till the V8 option appeared in the last couple years was based on the block of the Chevy 250cid inline six introduced in 1935 and used untill the early 70's in GM cars and early 80's in GM trucks. Toyota built that exact motor untill the late 50s/early 60's-and then after that all they did was change the head, the bottom end was almost identical. That is why custom 4x4 builders in the 70s and 80s were able to take Land Crusers and put either big OR small block Chevy V8's into them.[red]You can stuff a 305 in a 82 Toyota P/U which doesn't mean a damn thing since they came with inline 4's and you had to chop the wheel wells and buy a mounting frame[/red]

The 4.0L I-6 in the original Supras was a decked version of this same engine.[red]4.0L???  Try 2.8L I-6, 3.0L TT I-6 and 3.0L I-6 in Supras.[/red]
View Quote

You should stick to gun stuff and troll topics, Toyota mechanicals elude you COMPLETELY!!!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
(flame suit on!).......
I would rather push my Ford than drive a rice burner!
View Quote

this mentality is what allowed domestic car manufacturers to produce such pos in the 70's and early 80's.  which in turn spurned the move by *objective* consumers to foreign autos.

now the same three-ring circus is being played out in the full-size pu realm.  domestic makers aren't quite as dumb this time, however, and are really making an effort to modernize their plants and reduce the 'hokiness' of their interiors.  we, as consumers, benefit (in theory) from the competition and, as long as we stay *objective*, receive superior products.

dogma should never enter purchase decisions.  be a cold, unfeeling machine of modern man.  like me!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:16:37 AM EDT
[#10]
[img]http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/20290/p/369724_6520082297373772291_vl.jpg[/img]

now theres a real truck..........well, at least to whats been mentioned so far

and so help me, that truck, loaded, cab and chassis only of course, costs only a few thousand more than a loaded diesel pickup!!!!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Give me a call when the japs make a real full size pickup. Then we will talk.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
and so help me, that truck, loaded, cab and chassis only of course, costs only a few thousand more than a loaded diesel pickup!!!!
View Quote

Huh!?  So either that's a bargain, or people are getting jacked on 1 ton diesels.  How much would that cost?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Lexus badged version of the Land Cruser uses the [s]lexus[/s][red]Toyota I-Force V8[/red] DOHC V8-and they are DAMN lucky that no one who buys those things really takes them off road. DOHC valvtrains and 4WD LOW gearing do NOT make a reliable conbination.[red]Bullshit![bs][/red]

The [s]Toyota Land Cruser[/s] sorry [i]Sequoia[/i][red]Sequoia and Land Cruiser are two entirely different vehicles[/red] though its a Land Cruser everywhere else in the world, gets the same pushrod engine as the Tundra[red]The Tundra utilizes the Toyota I-Force V8, as does the LC[/red]. Because its intended to be more of a work vheicle. [>:/][red]WTF are you talking about?  The newer Land Cruisers are a posh city mobile, that most yups would be terrified to get mud in.[/red]

Toyota and General Motors have had on again off again production agreements going back to before WWII. The straight six engine that powered the Land Cruser till the V8 option appeared in the last couple years was based on the block of the Chevy 250cid inline six introduced in 1935 and used untill the early 70's in GM cars and early 80's in GM trucks. Toyota built that exact motor untill the late 50s/early 60's-and then after that all they did was change the head, the bottom end was almost identical. That is why custom 4x4 builders in the 70s and 80s were able to take Land Crusers and put either big OR small block Chevy V8's into them.[red]You can stuff a 305 in a 82 Toyota P/U which doesn't mean a damn thing since they came with inline 4's and you had to chop the wheel wells and buy a mounting frame[/red]

The 4.0L I-6 in the original Supras was a decked version of this same engine.[red]4.0L???  Try 3.0L TT I-6 and 3.0L I-6 in true Supras.  The Celica "Supra" had 4 bangers, up until the mid 80's.[/red]
View Quote

You should stick to gun stuff and troll topics, Toyota mechanicals elude you COMPLETELY!!!
View Quote

Umm, **cough**  ALL celicas had 4 cyls, ALL Supras, be they celica/supra or just Supras have always had 6 cyls starting with the 4ME in 1979.
Just helping your cause. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#14]
well drift, if i remember correctly that truck, along with the caterpillar diesel option, the synchronized fuller 6 speed transmission option, the pto option, the nicest air seat option, the polished aluminum alcoa wheels, the chrome stack and bumpers, etc.... cost about 48,000 dollars, a loaded diesel pickup, we're talking leather, dually, crew cab, etc..... will cost almost exactly the same.

i couldnt believe it either.

edited to add that its a KW T300

a full size KW loaded however, like the one in my avatar will run about 100 grand though
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Give me a call when the japs make a real full size pickup. Then we will talk.
View Quote

what's your number?? [;D]

I think Nissan's Titan is a true full size.  Don't know how it will rate, but as with most things Japanese they always know how to pick out a segment.

WHEELBASE: Nissan Titan 139.8 in. / Chevy 1500 4x4 SB 143.5

LENGTH: Nissan Titan 224.2 in. / Chevy 1500 4x4 SB 227.7

WIDTH: Nissan Titan 78.8 in. / Chevy 1500 4x4 SB 78.5

HEIGHT: Nissan Titan 74.4 in. / Chevy 1500 4x4 SB 73.9

ENGINE: Nissan Titan 5.6L V8  / Chevy 1500 4x4 SB 4.8L V8

HP: Nissan Titan 300hp / Chevy 1500 4x4 SB 270hp

TORQUE: Nissan Titan 375+ / Chevy 1500 4x4 SB 285TQ
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:39:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My last three pickups I have owned were F-150's (I have a 2001 Lariat now) and I have never had any major problems with any of them.
Why are some people so high on the Japanese products?
They don't really think they can compete with us in the full size truck category, can they???
Let the fun begin!!!)[devil]
View Quote

Stick with your Fords.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:39:51 AM EDT
[#17]
375ft/lbs out of a 5.6L really IS impressive

but lets see you stack those #'s up against a chevrolet 8.1L [:D]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:46:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 4.0L I-6 in the original Supras was a decked version of this same engine.[red]4.0L???  Try 3.0L TT I-6 and 3.0L I-6 in true Supras.  The Celica "Supra" had 4 bangers, up until the mid 80's.[/red]
View Quote

View Quote

Umm, **cough**  ALL celicas had 4 cyls, ALL Supras, be they celica/supra or just Supras have always had 6 cyls starting with the 4ME in 1979.
Just helping your cause. [:D]
View Quote

Damn!  THAT's what MADE them "Supras"....

[slap] I knew that!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its not really fair to call the Toyota Tundra "rice burners". They are powered by small block Chevy V8's, just fitted with valve covers and intake manifolds with 'Toyota' stamped in them. And the Tundra is assembled in the US, because they are only sold in North America.
View Quote

Where did you get this from ??  The Tundra V8 or Land Cruiser V8 is not a GM product. It was developed from the Lexus V8, also not a GM product.
Yes, the Tundra is U.S. assembled.

View Quote

The Lexus badged version of the Land Cruser uses the lexus DOHC V8-and they are DAMN lucky that no one who buys those things really takes them off road. DOHC valvtrains and 4WD LOW gearing do NOT make a reliable conbination.

The [s]Toyota Land Cruser[/s] sorry [i]Sequoia[/i] though its a Land Cruser everywhere else in the world, gets the same pushrod engine as the Tundra. Because its intended to be more of a work vheicle.

Toyota and General Motors have had on again off again production agreements going back to before WWII. The straight six engine that powered the Land Cruser till the V8 option appeared in the last couple years was based on the block of the Chevy 250cid inline six introduced in 1935 and used untill the early 70's in GM cars and early 80's in GM trucks. Toyota built that exact motor untill the late 50s/early 60's-and then after that all they did was change the head, the bottom end was almost identical. That is why custom 4x4 builders in the 70s and 80s were able to take Land Crusers and put either big OR small block Chevy V8's into them.

The 4.0L I-6 in the original Supras was a decked version of this same engine.
View Quote

The tundra and land cruiser V8's are not pushrod engines. They are DOHC engines with a timing belt. As far as DOHC and off road, I have never had any problems with my own or complaints from customers who REALLY do use them off road.
The original supra 4me engine was not derived from the landcruiser engine. I still have some of the original manuals and "new vehicle" technical overviews from way back then that explain the evolution and development of that engine. The first car I bought my wife was a 79 supra.
The sequoia is built on the tundra platform and is not even close to the much heavier duty land cruiser which has, unfortunatly, become a sissy yuppie wagon.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
375ft/lbs out of a 5.6L really IS impressive

but lets see you stack those #'s up against a chevrolet 8.1L [:D]
View Quote

Easy killer, I didn't say it was the best....I'll take a K2500 over any of the current production Japanese trucks.  Even the new Titan.

Just letting the "masses" know there is an ACTUAL fullsize Jap truck in production runs now.

I personally think it is ugly. {Titan that is}
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:35:03 AM EDT
[#21]
I own a dodge ram 1500 with about 100k on it.  It has had to have work done on the cruise twice, there is a loose heat shield and the brakes aren't so great.  Is this a bad car? No, but is it the end all be all of trucks, hell no.  A guy at work, his mother and his step father all own tacomas.  His as 150K, no problems, his mother has 200K, no problems, and his step-father has 350K with a replaced alternator.  Not bad.  I am buying a tacoma.  I am going to look at the colorado, but most likely I will end up with the tacoma, they are just better built.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:54:54 PM EDT
[#22]
SPECTRE
Quoted:
I have to agree with the marketing angle! How many 1970's or 1980's jap cars do you see on the road?

A hell of a lot more than the domestics of the same vintage.

[red]Really?  Have some numbers?  Any "proof".  I hardly see any on the roads around here or when I lived in Wisconsin.  Take a gander over to ebay, there are tons of domestics that are 20 to 30 years old for sale.  Not really many toyotas that are that old there.  Since ebay covers the whole nation and not just one area, how do you explain that?[/red]

If they were anywhere near the "quality" that they boast, the roads should be full of them.

See answer above.

[red]I will agree with you on that one.[/red]

Besides, toyota makes V6 engines that have a oil sludging problem and most rot apart within 6-8 years.

WTF are you talking about ?? Care to cite your sources ?? You don't have a clue on this.

[red]Well, here are a few for you to start with.  
[url]http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=38921[/url]
[url]http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/toyota_engine.html[/url]
[url]http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff57857.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.ripoffreport.com/results.asp?q1=ALL&q4=&q6=&q3=&q2=&q7=&searchtype=0&submit2=Search%21&q5=Toyota&submit=Search[/url]
[url]http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?did=416&scid=37[/url]
[url]http://forums.vmag.com/mvsienna1199/messages/204.html[/url]
[url]http://www.corolland.com/sludge.html[/url]
I find it hard to believe that you are a "toyota master" mechanic and have never heard of this.  toyota has even released bulletins on this.  So [BS] to your calling [BS].  I would say you are the one that doesn't "have a clue on this".[/red]

One of my friends bought a toyota tocoma. He had it serviced at the dealership and they didn't put the oil plug back in.

Yea, this happens at all service businesses, dealer or aftermarket. How does that speak to the reliability of the product ?

[red]It speaks about the actions of toyota in regards to custom service.  Nowhere did that example say squat about reliability.[/red]

He drove it home and had the lifters making all sorts of racket.

Tacomas have never used "lifters"
They haven't had a pushrod engine since the last 3TC.

[red]Ok, my mistake.  I was making a reference to the fact that the engine was making noise.  You are right, it did not have lifters.[/red]

He got on the phone with the dealership and they told him tough. Then he called toyota and explained what happened. toyota said they are not responsible for the actions of the dealership. Then they told him they were canceling his warrenty due to the engine being run without oil. He is driving a Chevy now and has not had a problem.

Double  on this one. everything you have said regarding the dealership in this is crap. I am a Toyota master technician with 20 years of dealership experience and even though accidents happen, the dealership is liable and ALWAYS takes care of it. Tell me, how did the tech get his truck to the parking lot without noticing the big puddle of oil under as he drove off ? The thing would have locked up before it was brought up for delivery. As for corporate Toyota, I know from YEARS of dealing with them, they would NEVER say or do what you have claimed. I tell ya what, you give me his info and I will run the Vin number and see what really happened...ok ?

[red]Whatever, this is what really happened wheather you want to accept it or not.  I don't care if you can run the vin (vin number is redundent) or not.  toyota service personnel did do exactly what I stated above.  I can even get you his email if you want to check personnal with him.  As to the oil, it most likely went straight through the engine into the waste oil container they had under it.  I don't know for sure, but I can check with him.  In the future, if you don't know the details on something, don't jump up and claim BS.  I claim BS on your double BS.  I will raise you another BS for your BS too.  And just for kicks, [BS].

By the way, here is another reason to avoid toyota.  [url]http://www.rainbowpush.org/pressreleases/2001/toyota080901.htm[/url]  Jesse Jackson sucks![puke][/red]

Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#23]
[url]http://www.car-data.com/xpage.preview/pre.template.asp?mfg=nissan&model=titan[/url]

[img]http://www.car-data.com/photos.previews/p.nissan.titan.30.7.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.car-data.com/photos.previews/p.nissan.titan.30.9.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:04:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Were it not for the perceived sentiment, and in many cases, actual fact, that Japanese vehicles were superior in quality and craftsmanship to America vehicles 10-20 years ago, the quality of American vehicles would not have improved so dramatically in the last 10 years. Don't kid yourself, the reason the domestic vehicles are statistically more reliable than they were a decade or two ago is a direct result of the market forces brought about by the insurgence of (then) inexpensive, highly reliable vehicles from Japanese manufacturers.

That, and the fact that Japanese vehicles were originally designed to be operated by the Japanese consumer, whose smaller stature more closely matches that of the American female consumer. Up until that point, most American vehicles were not built with the typically smaller female consumer in mind. Once the Japanese made inroads into the female market, their stereotypical lack of basic enthusiasm for vehicles as anything other than basic transportation lead them to buy Civics, Accords, Camry's, etc. over and over and over again without considering too many alternatives. They became loyal Japanese automotive consumers.

Women are continuing to make up more and more of the automotive consumer market. One reason the current PN96 (1996-2003) Ford F150 looks more "feminine" than the previous models (up to 1996) is because Ford was seeking more female buyers.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
SPECTRE
Quoted:
I have to agree with the marketing angle! How many 1970's or 1980's jap cars do you see on the road?

A hell of a lot more than the domestics of the same vintage.

[red]Really?  Have some numbers?  Any "proof".  I hardly see any on the roads around here or when I lived in Wisconsin.  Take a gander over to ebay, there are tons of domestics that are 20 to 30 years old for sale.  Not really many toyotas that are that old there.  Since ebay covers the whole nation and not just one area, how do you explain that?[/red]

If they were anywhere near the "quality" that they boast, the roads should be full of them.

See answer above.

[red]I will agree with you on that one.[/red]

Besides, toyota makes V6 engines that have a oil sludging problem and most rot apart within 6-8 years.

WTF are you talking about ?? Care to cite your sources ?? You don't have a clue on this.

[red]Well, here are a few for you to start with.  
[url]http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=38921[/url]
[url]http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/toyota_engine.html[/url]
[url]http://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/ripoff57857.htm[/url]
[url]http://www.ripoffreport.com/results.asp?q1=ALL&q4=&q6=&q3=&q2=&q7=&searchtype=0&submit2=Search%21&q5=Toyota&submit=Search[/url]
[url]http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?did=416&scid=37[/url]
[url]http://forums.vmag.com/mvsienna1199/messages/204.html[/url]
[url]http://www.corolland.com/sludge.html[/url]
I find it hard to believe that you are a "toyota master" mechanic and have never heard of this.  toyota has even released bulletins on this.  So [BS] to your calling [BS].  I would say you are the one that doesn't "have a clue on this".[/red]

One of my friends bought a toyota tocoma. He had it serviced at the dealership and they didn't put the oil plug back in.

Yea, this happens at all service businesses, dealer or aftermarket. How does that speak to the reliability of the product ?

[red]It speaks about the actions of toyota in regards to custom service.  Nowhere did that example say squat about reliability.[/red]

He drove it home and had the lifters making all sorts of racket.

Tacomas have never used "lifters"
They haven't had a pushrod engine since the last 3TC.

[red]Ok, my mistake.  I was making a reference to the fact that the engine was making noise.  You are right, it did not have lifters.[/red]

He got on the phone with the dealership and they told him tough. Then he called toyota and explained what happened. toyota said they are not responsible for the actions of the dealership. Then they told him they were canceling his warrenty due to the engine being run without oil. He is driving a Chevy now and has not had a problem.

Double  on this one. everything you have said regarding the dealership in this is crap. I am a Toyota master technician with 20 years of dealership experience and even though accidents happen, the dealership is liable and ALWAYS takes care of it. Tell me, how did the tech get his truck to the parking lot without noticing the big puddle of oil under as he drove off ? The thing would have locked up before it was brought up for delivery. As for corporate Toyota, I know from YEARS of dealing with them, they would NEVER say or do what you have claimed. I tell ya what, you give me his info and I will run the Vin number and see what really happened...ok ?

[red]Whatever, this is what really happened wheather you want to accept it or not.  I don't care if you can run the vin (vin number is redundent) or not.  toyota service personnel did do exactly what I stated above.  I can even get you his email if you want to check personnal with him.  As to the oil, it most likely went straight through the engine into the waste oil container they had under it.  I don't know for sure, but I can check with him.  In the future, if you don't know the details on something, don't jump up and claim BS.  I claim BS on your double BS.  I will raise you another BS for your BS too.  And just for kicks, [BS].

By the way, here is another reason to avoid toyota.  [url]http://www.rainbowpush.org/pressreleases/2001/toyota080901.htm[/url]  Jesse Jackson sucks![puke][/red]

View Quote

Little pimple, I am well aware of this, but I don't care how many things you list, the problem is very simple. Like it or not, the reason for the "sludge" is lack of maintenence pure and simple. Of course the fine upstanding customer will always say they changed their oil often and on time. [rolleyes]  I have torn through MANY of these engines (under warranty no less) and rebuilt them. ALL of them were due to the CUSTOMERS NOT CHANGING THEIR OIL OFTEN ENOUGH !!
Yes, Toyota did open up the oil passages to satisfy complaints and to keep this from happening. That does not take away the fact that it is still cause by people not changing their oil.
As for your challenge about "facts" I would suggest you not offer your flawed opinion of something you know nothing about. I hope you do get your buddies info because I will run the number and get the truth, so let's have the email addy.
So, it's "really what happened" just because you say so ? [BS]
As to your assumptions regarding the oil..."MOST LIKELY" sounds like once again, you don't know what you're talking about, just spouting what some guy said.

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:53:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
For me, it's all about the warranty.

I look at Toyota and Nissan, and I see a 5year/60K mile drive train warranty.

Dodge finally wised up, and they now have a 7/70 drive train warranty.

Ford and GMC still have 3 year/36K warranties.

The better the product is backed up, the better the product looks.

Jay
View Quote

In that case, AZCOP, you should go buy your Hyundai now. They all have a 10yr/100K warranty. Have fun driving your Kim-Chee burner!
View Quote

We were talking trucks:
So far as I know, Hyundai does not make a truck.

Hyundai:
Hey, I have my standards, damm it.

Jay
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:01:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Lets see I have owned FORD iron with a combined tally of 210,000+97,000+136,000+105,000 miles without any major problems. That's 440,000 miles combined, not too bad.

I did have to replace a brand new clutch and brakes on my 85 F-150 after I learned how to drive though. [;)]

Hell my buddy had an 83 ranger with 305,000 miles on the clock before the #1 cylinder got a hole in it and he sold it. I had a saturn once that was beatten into the ground twice by 104k. Granted I abused the shit out of it, but I'm not easy on anything with tits or tires. [BD]

Japanese + rice. I don't care if it's made in IL or wherever it's still a rice burner.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:32:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Just wanted to add that I don't consider a Tundra to be a 'full size'.  Someone here summed it up well by calling it a 4/5 size.

It just isn't as big as F150/Silverado and won't tow quite as much (7,100/2wd only and 6,200 4wd)
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:39:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just wanted to add that I don't consider a Tundra to be a 'full size'.  Someone here summed it up well by calling it a 4/5 size.

It just isn't as big as F150/Silverado and won't tow quite as much (7,100/2wd only and 6,200 4wd)
View Quote

And it looks suspiciously similar to my 97 F-150. [>:/]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
For me, it's all about the warranty.

I look at Toyota and Nissan, and I see a 5year/60K mile drive train warranty.

Dodge finally wised up, and they now have a 7/70 drive train warranty.

Ford and GMC still have 3 year/36K warranties.

The better the product is backed up, the better the product looks.

Jay
View Quote

In that case, AZCOP, you should go buy your Hyundai now. They all have a 10yr/100K warranty. Have fun driving your Kim-Chee burner!
View Quote

We were talking trucks:
So far as I know, Hyundai does not make a truck.

Hyundai:
Hey, I have my standards, damm it.

Jay
View Quote

Yep. You got me on that one. Just wait though - some day they will. It's just too profitable a market for manufacturer's to ignore.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
[i]So far as I know, Hyundai does not make a truck.[/i]
Yep. You got me on that one. Just wait though - some day they will. It's just too profitable a market for manufacturer's to ignore.
View Quote

[img]http://www.korea-np.co.jp/pk/067th_issue/truck.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.hyundai-auto.cz/img/h-1truck/truck.jpg[/img]

[img]http://unicar.hypermart.net/images/h100t_intro.gif[/img]

[img]http://www.hyundai-motor.com/eng/images/cybermall/showroom/commercial/h1_truck/truck-ex_03.gif[/img]

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#32]
[LOLabove]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#33]
'95 Chevy Cheyenne for my daily driver.  160,000+ Mi.  Got a big 'Ol bench seat the size of a sofa.  Very comfy.  305 V8.  20 MPG combined City / Highway.

Occasionally tow the Featherlite & little fat horse up & down hills.  No problems.

I've been looking at new trucks cause of the cheap money.  Would like a SuperCab.  Chevy currently doesn't make a cab this size.

Drive what you like, shoot what you like.

----------------------------------------------

Pacifism
The theory that if they'd fed Jeffrey Dahmer enough human flesh, he'd have become a vegan.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Since none of the japs makes a Lightning type truck, I'll never actually WANT a Jap fullsize.
With that said, if I was looking at a mini-truck, there is no way in hell I'd buy anything other than a Tacoma Prerunner.
and now with Ford going to make the ugliest goddamn truck on the road, I guess I'll have to stick to my 2001 F150, and trade it on a used Lightning when I get my gas card for work.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:18:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
[i]So far as I know, Hyundai does not make a truck.[/i]
View Quote

[url]http://www.korea-np.co.jp/pk/067th_issue/truck.jpg[/url]

[url]http://www.hyundai-auto.cz/img/h-1truck/truck.jpg[/url]

[url]http://unicar.hypermart.net/images/h100t_intro.gif[/url]

[url]http://www.hyundai-motor.com/eng/images/cybermall/showroom/commercial/h1_truck/truck-ex_03.gif[/url]

View Quote

I think he was referring to full-size F150-style pickup trucks sold in the U.S. market, not commercial delivery trucks only sold overseas.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:04:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Since none of the japs makes a Lightning type truck, I'll never actually WANT a Jap fullsize.
With that said, if I was looking at a mini-truck, there is no way in hell I'd buy anything other than a Tacoma Prerunner.
and now with Ford going to make the ugliest goddamn truck on the road, I guess I'll have to stick to my 2001 F150, and trade it on a used Lightning when I get my gas card for work.
View Quote

I think Ford really stepped on their crank when they made the Explorer Sprot Trac instead of a 4 door ranger. I hope they correct the error soon, and although I'd bever buy one those 4 door S-10's look nice.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I think Ford really stepped on their crank when they made the Explorer Sprot Trac instead of a 4 door ranger. I hope they correct the error soon, and although I'd bever buy one those 4 door S-10's look nice.
View Quote

Problem is they're making the new F-150 look like the sport trac.  That's why I hate it.  I may change my mind when I see one in person, but the pictures are butt ugly.  The worst part is that the next gen Lightning will be awesome performance wise, but it will be the new body style.  Of course the fact that it will likely sell for close to $50k will probably keep me from ever having to make that choice.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top