Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:18:06 PM EDT
[#1]

And who so seeketh as religion other than the Surrender (to Allah) it will not be accepted from him, and he will be a loser in the Hereafter.

Its simple really.  The fundamentalist faction of the Muslim faith has a very skewed view of what their religion is probably trying to say.  It has been said many times that the Koran is really just an alternate version of the Bible.. who knows which book of stories got written first..

It just goes to support my thoughts on religion overall.  Mankind is not mature enough to handle organized religion.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:20:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

More example of quotes taken out of context - and claiming to be about killing all non-believers, when in reality they are very specific historical references, or taken completely out of context.

So when the Koran specifically says that non believers should be enslaved if they cannot be converted, that's being taken out of context?  How about when modern day Imams are preaching the same thing along with "cut off their heads?"  Taking out of context as you so WISELY put it, means that it bears no relationship to reality, except to slander it using the Koran in part and parcel.  However, they have shown to adhere to these "out of context" statements as the rule of how to deal with non believers.  

A number of the quotes you raise have been raised before (for instance pretty much all of verses 8:xx and 9:xx in the Koran deals with IDOLATORS, not all non-muslims) and includes instructions to: "if they incline to peace, make peace with them, and put your trust in God" - that doesn't really sound like instructions to kill all non-muslims.

Maybe not, but in reality, how are those commands deciphered by the followers RIGHT NOW?  We're not having this discussion because islam is somewhat strange, but peaceful.  We're having this discussion because islam has proven itself to be every quote above, and then some.

As I mentioned earlier, in addition, lines cited from 8:39 and 8:65 (and pretty much all of 8:xx) refer to Muhammad's plan to attack a caravan on its way to Mecca, and his forces of about 300 supposedly routed about 1000 soldiers from Mecca. This is a pretty specific historical reference (like many of the books in the Old Testament are historical accounts), and has nothing to do with "killing all non-muslims.  

Again, I repeat...THEN WHY DO THE IMAMS PREACH THESE VERSES AS ALLAH'S WILL TO SLAUGHTER??

If you read the Book of Joshua in the old testament with the same narrow interpreation and taking quotes out of context, you could easily claim that the old testament commands Jews to kill all non-Israelites.  I'm not kidding-  it's a trivial exercise, and I'd be happy to illustrate it if I had more free time.

And do the Jews do that or have they progressed with the world?  Has islam?

If you had BOTHERED to read above (sorry, but it's VERY irritating to spend a LOT of my time actually READING the fucking thing, and then have people not even look at my response, and just quote the same stuff all over again ), ilikelegs already cited 17:16-17 and 21:11 and I commented on it above.  Again, while people LOVE to quote these things as examples of how the Koran tells people to "kill all non-muslims" I simply don't see that actually supported when you read the actual text.  

My undergrad thesis was in women in islam, so maybe my "barbaric islam interpretation" classes are a bit rusty, but I have read it.  Just not yesterday.

As I asked above, why would so many of these books be full of instruction about how to talk to the nonbelievers, and how to try to convince them that the Koran is right, and warning from God/Allah that those unbelivers will eventualyl be judged?

Because Mohammad believed in giving non believers a chance, so his masses would increase.  However, if they were not converted, he called on their enslavement or destruction.

Why would so much of these verses (mot of the book of the Cow, for instance) contain that, if muslims were just supposed to KILL THEM?    Sure would have save a lot of space in the  Koran

The reality is that the Koran DOES NOT give any general or global command to muslims to kill all non-muslims.  It is certainly a book that does focus a lot on fighting, and on talking about conquest, and so forth - but it does not advocate the killing of all non-muslims indiscriminantly.

You're right.  The Koran tells us exactly in what situations that muslims should slaughter innocent non believers.  Like when they do not convert or when we do not submit to their will.  Additionally, since the religion preaches the EXACT verses I quoted and uses them to incite hatred and to justify their murders, then I do think it is absolutely appropriate to decipher them as the means to kill non believers.  

You cannot sit there as an outsider and say "the koran doesn't preach murder" when the imams themselves are quoting the exact same verses and are saying, "KILL KILL KILL KILL!"  Your rationale just doesn't fly.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quran Surah 28: The Narrative

4. Never help disbelievers. 86

I'm a christian and I help non believers all the time.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#4]
It doesn't really matter what WE say the Koran says, or means, to US.  

It matter what the radical islamics think of the koran, how THEY interpret it, what thier fatwas say and mean to them, and how they practice.  

There is an overwhelming view within the muslim community that the West is comprised of infidels bent on ruining their purity and fidelity to allah.  

That is NOT to say that they are all suicide bombers, but there is a majority that dislikes and fears anything non-muslim.  

Many, however, turn a blind eye to the atrocities of their muslim cohorts and indeed secretly (and not so secretly) give their actions a "thumbs up" when non-muslims are bombed, killed, or otherwise delt with.  

The point is not what WE belive the koran tells us, but how they ACT in its name and how the vast majority of muslims simply do not take active and harsh measures to disassociate themselves from those acts or to prevent them.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:41:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey look, I found proof that the Bible commands us to kill all non-Israelites!!  And it wants us to conquer the world!!

Joshua 10:40 - "So Joshua defeated the whole land, the hill country and the Negeb and the lowlands and the slopes, and all their kings; he left none remaining, but utterly destroyed all that breathed, ass the Lord God of Israel commanded"

Wow - God commands Jews to kill all non-Jews!!  Holy crap.

Joshua 8:26 - "For Joshua did not draw back his hand, with which he had stretched out his javelin, until he had utterly destoyed all the inhabitants of Ai. Only the cattle and the spoils of the city that Israel took as their booty, according to the word of the Lord which he commanded Joshua"

Ooops - sounds like God commands the Jews to commit genocide - killing everyone, even women and children!!

Joshua 23:9 - "For the Lord has driven out before you great and strong nations; and as for you, no man has been able to withstand you to this day.  One man of you puts to flight a thousand, since it is the Lord your God who fights for you, as he promised you."

Look out - those crazy Jews believe God fights on their side, and wants them to destroy other nations!

Genesis 19:24 - "Then the Lord rained on Sodom and Gomor'rah brimstone and fire from the Lord out of heaven; and he overthrew those cities, and all the valley, and all the inhabitants of the cities"

Watch out - apparently the Jewish God will destroy your cities and kill everyone in them if he doesn't like the way you live!  

Isaiah 34:2 - "For the Lord is enraged against all the nations, and furious against all their host, he has doomed them, has given them over for slaughter.  Their slain shall be cast out, and the stench of their corpses shall rise; the mountains shall flow with their blood"

Hmm - that doesn't really sounds particularly peaceful to me.

Jeremiah 6:11 - "Therefore I am full of the wrath of the Lord; I am weary of holding it in. Pour it out among the children of the street, and upon the gatherings of the young men, also; both husband and wife shall be taken, the old folks and the very aged.  Their houses shall be turned over to others, their fields and wives together; for I will stretch out my hand against the inhabitants of the land, says the Lord"

Ouch - children, wives and the very aged, even?  That's not very peaceful at all.  Neither is taking away someone's land and wife and giving them to somone else!

Revelation 3:21 - "He who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne"

Oh no - even the New Testament commands Christians to go out and conquer in the name of God!  And her I thought it was just the Old Testament, and maybe we could blame it on the Jews

Revelations 6:8 - "And I saw, and behold, a pale horse, and its rider's name was Death, and Hades followed him; and they were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill with sword"

Hmm - so which part of the earth is it that the New Testament says it's okay to kill??

Revelations 9:4 - "they were told not to harm the grass of the earth or any green growth or any tree, but only those of mankind who have no the seal of God upon their foreheads; they were allowed to torture them for five months, but not to kill them, and their torture was like the of a scorpion when it stings a man. And in those days, men will seek death and will not find it; they will long to die, and death will fly from them"

Wow - so if you're not a true believer, it's apparently okay for Christians to torture you, to the point where you are begging for death!

See how easy it is?  (btw - I found these by leafing through the Bible myself - it's a big book, and I'm sure there are TONS more in there, some probably even more violent)

Obviously, all of these are taken completely OUT OF CONTEXT.  Stuff like Joshua is a historial account, and Revelations is a vision of things to com.  BUT, if these passages are read to someone who doesn't know what Joshua and Revelations is about, and has never actually read the Bible themselves - it coudl certainly be made to appear that the Bible endorses, or even commands, all kinds of barbaric behavior - certianly including conquest and genocide of non-believers.

Alternatively, some psychotic extermist fundamentalist Christian could conceivably interpret such passages to justify all kinds of violence - just as I am sure Muslim extremists are doing as we speak.  Of course the Christian variety is extremely rare, and the Muslims seems to be becoming more and more numerous.

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You cannot sit there as an outsider and say "the koran doesn't preach murder" when the imams themselves are quoting the exact same verses and are saying, "KILL KILL KILL KILL!"  Your rationale just doesn't fly.

Um - YES I CAN, and in fact that is exactly my point - those are two separate issues.  The Koran DOES NOT SAY that muslims should kill all non-believers.  It is simply not in there.  It is a factual question as to whether the Koran preaches the murder of innocents, and the wholesale murder of non-believers.  It is a simple yes/no question - and the answer is "no" (whether people like to believe it or not).

The fact that fundemantalist psychos and Imams are twisting the actual text of the Koran, and preaching a warped INTERPRETATION of it, is a completely separate issue, as far as I see it.   A separate factual question is: are there MANY fundementalist muslims who interpret the Korean to say that they should kill non-believers - that is also a simple yes/no question, and unfortunately, the answer is "yes"

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Quran Surah 28: The Narrative

4. Never help disbelievers. 86

I'm a christian and I help non believers all the time.

Yeah - the Koran also explicitly says to not ever even befriend Christians and Jews.  (I remember reading it, but do not remember where - but I know it's in there).

There are definitely some ugly things in the Koran - don't even get me started on the parts about women!!  (Balzac probably knows much more about that than I do, and I'd gladly defer to his expertise).
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 4:57:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um - YES I CAN, and in fact that is exactly my point - those are two separate issues.

I agree, there are two separate issues.  
1) To what extent does the Koran preach the murder of nonbelievers?
2) Has the practice of islam adhered to the script of murdering or has it gone outside of the koranic murder mandate?

I argue that both questions lead to the same conclusion....islam is being followed according to not only the word of the koran, but also as to the actual practices of Mohammad and his followers.  Why not examine how Mohammad (pedophile, kiddie raper that he is) waged wars on non believers and enslaved women as "concubines" from his defeated enemies?  Why not look at the mercy he showed to people who would not convert?

Examine the false prophet and his actions and you will find your answers.

The Koran DOES NOT SAY that muslims should kill all non-believers.

Again, we're into symantics with your language.  "All" non believers should not be slain, only the ones that have a different agenda.  The koran does allow for discrimination at all levels of society against non believers in order to get them convert.  Discrimination is not only indoctrinated into children from birth, but the koran supports it in its perverse way.

It is simply not in there.

I agree, it doesn't preach the all out annihilation of everyone, just the ones that don't convert and can't keep their beliefs to themselves.  Basically, anyone that opens a church, synagogue or place of worship that is at odds with islam.

It is a factual question as to whether the Koran preaches the murder of innocents, and the wholesale murder of non-believers.  It is a simple yes/no question - and the answer is "no" (whether people like to believe it or not).

Again, I refer to the quotes.  Put them in their contexts and tell me they still don't preach for murder of non believers.  Its not possible.  The message is still there, since justification is given implicitly.

The fact that fundemantalist psychos and Imams are twisting the actual text of the Koran, and preaching a warped (that's arguable)INTERPRETATION of it, is a completely separate issue, as far as I see it.

No, the issues are one in the same.  They are taking the same texts that we are interpreting and are reading them in the same light as we do.  Mohammad himself practiced in a way that supports both the imams and our beliefs into the fact that is supports the slaughter of non believers.

A separate factual question is: are there MANY fundementalist muslims who interpret the Korean to say that they should kill non-believers - that is also a simple yes/no question, and unfortunately, the answer is "yes"

Agreed.  But I contend that the absolute silence in the muslim world over their own kind's atrocities is proof that it isn't just the fundamentalist crowd, but mainstream muslims as well.  Thus, the answer is still yes.

Islam preaches through its koran and by Mohammad's actions that the slaughter of innocents is condoned and glorified and is what allah wants.  Has the violence gotten out of the range of mohammad's original intent?  Probably, but would they still be at war with us right now?  Absolutely.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey look, I found proof that the Bible commands us to kill all non-Israelites!!  And it wants us to conquer the world!!

It never fails. The ones who are sticking up for Islam always reverts attention towards another religion,
most of the time it’s Christianity. Stick to Islam this time. Christian and their nations are not committing
genocide. They do not have followers who fly planes into building. We don't have people on a daily basis
who strap bombs to our bodies and kill as many as possible in a mall.
Jesus Christ does not tell us to kill people on his behalf. We are not to believe in Jesus out of fear.
We are commanded to treat people as our brother. And we are not to be brutal to our wives and treat
them as subclass people. Islam teaches that.

And yes DK, the Koran does tell muslims to kill non-believers.
We covered that in the other thread. Here is the post...

Look - you COMPLETELY MISSED MY POINT  

Try reading what I wrote at the bottom of that post.  My point is NOT that there's anything wrong with Crhistianity, nor am I trying to divert attention.  

My POINT is that if someone has not bothered to read Joshua, Revelations, Ishiah, Jeremiah, etc - and just saw those quotes from the Old and New Testament, they might erroneously conclude all kinds of things about the Bible that are not correct.

- it's not a point about the Bible, it's a point about how easy it is to misinterpret things that are quoted out of context if one is NOT familiar with the orignial source material.

Quoted:
Let me be clear again - THE KORAN DOES NOT COMMAND MUSLIMS TO KILL ALL NON-MUSLIMS

That is ALL I am saying !!!! Why do people have such a fucking hard time understanding that???

Originally Posted By Legs
True, the Koran does not say in your exact words for muslims to kill non-muslims.
Most people use this quote...

- Slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captives and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush. (Koran 9:5)

But this is the actual wording...source009.005
YUSUFALI: But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, an seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practise regular charity, then open the way for them: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.
PICKTHAL: Then, when the sacred months have passed, slay the idolaters wherever ye find them, and take them (captive), and besiege them, and prepare for them each ambush. But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, then leave their way free. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.
SHAKIR: So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them captives and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush, then if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, leave their way free to them; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful.

SHAKIR, PICKTHAL and YUSUFALI are versions of the Koran.
Much like our Old English, King James version and Revised Standard Version.

So in so many words, we (non believers) are the pagans or the non-believers.
And yes, we are to be killed according to this verse, depending on how it’s interpreted to the muslim.
Do you want to trust his interpretation? I don't. To many examples in the world today which show
me how they believe.
Most things in all religions are taken out of context. It’s no different with Islam.
The problem is that so many muslims believe what has been taken out of context and have put
forth no effort to correct their error.

Again, I want to drive this point home a bit...

So in so many words, we (non believers) are the pagans or the non-believers.
And yes, we are to be killed according to this verse, depending on how it’s interpreted to the muslim.

I cleared up the real quote from all three versions of the Koran.
I will not waste my time doing it for every verse I posted, but the ones that I did in this thread are more
Correctly translated. You can read the online version of the Koran that I posted as source.
I agree that it is taken out of context.

It’s just ashamed that millions of muslims believe it and the silent moderate ones are not doing a damn thing.
That tells me that they really don't mind their religion getting all the bad press.

They have to prove to us that their region is peaceful.

It is not my or your responsibility to sugar coat their belief system so we can feel good about the small few
out there we don't have to worry about.

You know what - you can keep wanting to believe it all you want, but the fact remains that the Koran does NOT call for the killing of all non-muslims.

People keep trotting out the same tired quotes from books in the Koran that refer to specfic things - like idolators who have violated treaties (liek the one above), or from specific historical battles - and continue to ignore all of the passages in the Koran that clearly say how the killing of innocents is not premissible, and how even Jews and Christians can go to heaven, and have no explanation for why the Koran spends so much time talking about how to TALK to non-believers, and how the non-believers will EVENTUALLY be judged by God.  

Nobody has shown me any single quote (much less all of these many ones that are supposedly in the Koran) that states that ALL NON-BELIEVERS SHOULD BE KILLED.

I'll say it again, until someone provides evidence to the contrary.  It is simply not in the Koran.

Are there plenty of imams and other assholes who have RE-INTERPRETED the meanings of the words "infidel" and "non-believer" to include anyone they don't like?  Absolutely there are - and you and I agree completely on that, and you and I would both be percfectly happy if they were all dead tomorrow morning.  But those interpretations are not based on the TEXT of the Koran, but on extremist agendas.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:39:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 6:43:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:18:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's not a point about the Bible, it's a point about how easy it is to misinterpret things that are quoted out of context if one is NOT familiar with the orignial source material.

Point taken and agreed with. My point...millions of muslims are familiar with their scripture and have twisted
it for their own viewpoint. In fact, entire muslim nations have done so as well.

Exactly - and to me, those are two entirely different points.

One is a question as to WHAT the Koran actually says.

Another is a question as to HOW this is interpreted by modern-day muslims.

I have been talking about the first question almost exclusively, and it BOGGLES MY MIND that other people cannot separate the two - and automatically seem to assume that I am somehow making excuses for the second question by talking about the first question.

No offense to you in particular, but I am really getting the impression that it is IMPOSSIBLE to have a rational (and civil) discussion about this, because people are apparently not capable of being rational about it.  I'm talking about one specific thing - what the words in the Koran actually say - and invariably people start inferring how my discussion of that is somehow about the modern-day interpretation of Islam.

How many of these examples do you need to see DK?
I have much more to post about other than this.
There is so much more other evil things about Islam to cover you know.
I am moving on to them.

I'm well aware that there are lots of evil things about Islam - but I thought we were talking about WHAT THE KORAN ACTUALLY SAYS.

That is certainly what I have been talking about this entire time.  You're the one who keeps trying to change the subject whenever you cannot come up with proof to support your argument that the Koran itself tells muslims to kill all non-muslims.  (I compeltely agree with you that lots of modern day assholes are incorrectly interpreting the Koran to mean that, but that's not really relevant to what it actually says, or how it was written).

... how much patience would you have for an anti-gunner who keeps telling you that TODAY, people interpret the 2nd Amendement to mean the national guard - and so you should just shut about what it ACTUALLY SAYS or what the foudners INTENDED - because the only thing that matters is how Joe Sixpack and the Supreme Court say, TODAY!  How much credence woudl that argument hold for you???   ABSOLUTELY ZERO - that's how much.  And it's because an argument like that is bullshit, if what you're interested in is what the original document ACTUALLY SAYS and ACTUALLY INTENDED.  Just because some people hundreds of years later have twisted the original meaning and intent of a source, does NOT mean that we should just ignore the actual source - or BELIEVE that it says what the assholes who have reinterpret it claim it says.

Think about that - those are two separate issues.  WHAT the constitution actually says and intended when it was written, and how self-serving assholes with an agenda INTERPRET it to mean today.

Same thing in this disucssion - two separate issues.  

You wouldn't necessarily accept that the original words and intent of the Constitution are irrelevant, just because some jokers on the Supreme Court (and perhaps even most of the average population) have misinterpreted it.  You would no doubt try to draw people's attention to WHAT THE ORIGINAL DOCUMENT ACTUALLY SAYS.

Anyone from the pro-muslim point of view want to address these things?

And THIS is why I am going to give up, and am no longer going to bother with this thread.

It is clearly not possible to have a rational discussion about this - and I've just lost my ability to have a CIVIL discussion about this.

I have pointed out OVER and OVER again, that I am NOT a fan of Islam, that I see Islam as a THREAT to the West, and that the people who are in fact twisting the actual holy texts of their religion to their own purposes are evil and should be killed.

Yet somehow, I'm "pro-muslim" because I'm not willing to accept the inaccurate statement that the Koran says "kill all non-muslims" even though nobody can provide ANY evidence other than obscure and out-of-context references to specific groups of people who can be killed (like idolators who have broken treaties or opposing armies engaged in battle).

I've agreed over and over again that there are huge numbers of modern muslims that probably DO want to convert or kill all non-muslims, but apparently as long as I insist on being accurate and factual about the Koran - then I am "pro muslim"

The only thing I am, is "pro-fact" and "pro-accuracy"  - I don't give a rat's ass about Islam or the Koran, I am simply interested in accuracy as an intellectual exercise.

As Socrates said, "the only good is knowledge, and the only evil is ignorance"  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:31:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:33:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:41:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:10:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I did not mean to imply that you are pro muslim, its just that when I was IM'd about this thread, doublefeed said
there would be a group of us to post against Islam, and a group to post for them.

I do not mean in anyway to accuse you of being pro islam, or an apologist in anyway.
Just didn't have the vocabulary expanded enough to post something else.
I think your a good guy to debate with and mean nothing by posting that in the way that I did.
Please accept my apology for this.

Eh - please don't apologize.  I'm probably just over-reacting because I am frustrated, and I apologize for storming off in a hissy fit.

As EdSr says "no apology is necessary among friends"  (assuming that we could consider one another friends of course ).

I completely understand where you are coming from, but I feel like we are just going around in circles.  When quotes from the Koran are read in the context of what the entire verse or section is specifcially talking about, it is blatantly obvious TO ME that the Koran does not advocate or command the killing of all non-muslims - especially given that verses in the Koran point out that Jews and Christians and Sabaeans (peacekeepers? ) CAN go to heaven.

However, it is just as blatantly obvious to me that there are many current-day muslims who have chosen to reinterpret the meanings of such passages (and the meanings of words like idolators and infidels) and use that for their OWN agendas.

I guess ultimately my view is that THOSE muslims who are CHOOSING to reinterpret the Koran to fit with their violent and terroristic agenda are the problem, not the text of the Koran as written. That's pretty much my only point, and since I've repeated it many times, I probably will not be posting too much more in the thread - at the risk of sounding like a broken record.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Hi DK-Prof…

I feel the problem with Islam is the lack of an overall 'theocracy' like a Pope who can, with his Council of Cardinals, have a Papl Congress and debate an interpretation of the Bible and pass a Papal Bull decrying that it is now the official Dogma. This has allowed Christianity to adapt and change with the progress in society.

Islam however has no 'Commander in Chief' as such. The Koran is treated as an immutible document that cannot be 'interpreted' or 'redefined'. So what we have is a book that is rooted firmly in the 7th Century Arabian Desert that people are trying to use as a basis for living in a modern secular and technological world. It does not work, so we now have a group of Islamofascists who as the Koran does not fit in with the modern world have decided the answer is to change the world to make it fit… this is the Wahabbist way, a 'Year Zero' mindset.

Example… The Saudis ban women from driving cars because it does not say in the Koran that they can… This is clearly a stupid point of view. It is obvious that as cars did not exist in the 7th Century, the Koran could not make reference to them. Now the obvious thing to do is to say, well Allah had no comment on this… away you go and drive a car. Instead we have the obscure ruling about owning horses and camels being used to justify this prohibition.

As long as the Koran remains as a a book that is literally 'locked' to change and interetation, I fell that the problem will only get worse as Islam becomes increasingly out of step with the modern world.

Andy
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:35:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:03:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Certainly not a scholar of Islam or any other religion, but I would like anyone's take on these passages:

YUSUFALI: The Jews call 'Uzair a son of Allah, and the Christians call Christ the son of Allah. That is a saying from their mouth; (in this) they but imitate what the unbelievers of old used to say. Allah's curse be on them: how they are deluded away from the Truth!
PICKTHAL: And the Jews say: Ezra is the son of Allah, and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah. That is their saying with their mouths. They imitate the saying of those who disbelieved of old. Allah (Himself) fighteth against them. How perverse are they!
SHAKIR: And the Jews say: Uzair is the son of Allah; and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah; these are the words of their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved before; may Allah destroy them; how they are turned away!

YUSUFALI: They take their priests and their anchorites to be their lords in derogation of Allah, and (they take as their Lord) Christ the son of Mary; yet they were commanded to worship but One Allah: there is no god but He. Praise and glory to Him: (Far is He) from having the partners they associate (with Him).
PICKTHAL: They have taken as lords beside Allah their rabbis and their monks and the Messiah son of Mary, when they were bidden to worship only One Allah. There is no Allah save Him. Be He Glorified from all that they ascribe as partner (unto Him)!
SHAKIR: They have taken their doctors of law and their monks for lords besides Allah, and (also) the Messiah son of Marium and they were enjoined that they should serve one Allah only, there is no god but He; far from His glory be what they set up (with Him).
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top