[#6]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Gay
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Trust me, my wife does not read ar15.com.

It is absolutely incredible to drive.
View Quote

A good friend of my family used to own a big tire shop.  When they came out with the Panamera, he was invited to an event at Summit Point to show them off.  Basically, a bunch of Porsche guys giving rides around the track with various dealers, frequent customers, etc.  At the time, my friend was racing an Integra in what is now the Continental Tire Sportscar Challenge. 

He said, with 4 people in the car, they were braking later into the corners than he did in his race car (half the weight, on slicks).  Came away very impressed.   
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:01:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:05:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Aren't most cars sold in the US electronically governed at 155? Also, purchase or lease? I wouldn't waste my money on one of those German shit boxes.
View Quote

I believe it's 184 mph (200 kph?) per some international agreement. Hot bikes can easily exceed that number but the RPM's in top gear are limited by programming in the engine ECU. Aftermarket black boxes tell the ECU that the trans is in 5th, not 6th and thus give full RPM range and 200+ mph capability. Pretty sure it's the same for cars.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:08:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Trust me, my wife does not read ar15.com.

It is absolutely incredible to drive.
View Quote

I thought targettarget was your wife's account.

Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Too bad it's such an unfortunate looking car... .

(And this is coming from a Porsche owner)
View Quote

Seconded.....Ugly as fuck.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:20:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The standard brakes on it are fucking gigantic.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A good friend of my family used to own a big tire shop.  When they came out with the Panamera, he was invited to an event at Summit Point to show them off.  Basically, a bunch of Porsche guys giving rides around the track with various dealers, frequent customers, etc.  At the time, my friend was racing an Integra in what is now the Continental Tire Sportscar Challenge. 

He said, with 4 people in the car, they were braking later into the corners than he did in his race car.  Came away very impressed.   

The standard brakes on it are fucking gigantic.  

they're like 14" right?  My first car had 14" wheels. . . 

Just googled, they're 15.3".  fuck

Also, about the Tesla.  I was under the impression that the D models are AWD
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:20:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Teslas are impressive cars but their build issues have held me back.  I'm sure they will continue to improve as the brand matures.  Plus, for the price of admission, the interior quality is lacking compared to German rivals.  

That being said, there is nothing quite like flooring a P100D with Ludicrous from a stop, especially without the soundtrack of an internal-combustion engine.

Quoted:
I don't think it's an ugly car, seems more practical than most sports cars while still having excellent performance.

If I wanted a fun car in the 100-150k range I would be more tempted to go with a Tesla P100D like my next door neighbor.\.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I am forced to wonder what the people ragging on its looks drive.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#16]
It may not have the classic Porsche profile but it looks a bit like an Aston Martin. Personally, I think it is a beautiful car.

When My friend did his launch control run it was on a road lined with trees. I had forgotten it was four wheel drive and all I could think about was how screwed

we would be if the back end broke loose. Honestly, it was a little frightening. The car is so frigging fast that you don't need to use launch control. I noticed no

turbo lag but I did not get to drive it so couldn't tell for sure.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:33:04 PM EDT
[#17]
The ugliest porsch out side that suv. :(
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:34:41 PM EDT
[#18]
F&SPNI.

Panamera
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:40:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The spoiler deployment on the new Panamera is a thing of beauty, however I can't get comfortable with the fastback 4-door coupe aesthetic.  Second gen much better looking than the first, but that's not saying much.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--1F6MiBQv--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/nxjhkp1pz841domx6217.gif
View Quote

I really like it alot, but Porsche needs to do less 928 and somthing that looks more like the A7
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
F250.  If I ever buy a sports car it'll be a Z06.  But my penis works great so far so I don't need one of those yet.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The spoiler deployment on the new Panamera is a thing of beauty, however I can't get comfortable with the fastback 4-door coupe aesthetic.  Second gen much better looking than the first, but that's not saying much.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--1F6MiBQv--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/nxjhkp1pz841domx6217.gif
View Quote
i came
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#25]
You know those times when you're driving down the road, and you approach a cyclist, incredible blond hair, perfect legs, a perfect arse tightly wrapped in lycra - then when you pass realise it's a guy?

That's how a Panamera looks.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I wonder how common and strong this opinion would actually be if Top Gear hadn't relentlessly made the point about how ugly they thought the Panamera was.  

My wife actually like the first gen model better than the new second gen.

Porsche did send us a very nice hard-cover coffee table book about the new Panamera, hoping to sell us one, no doubt.
View Quote

I believe the consensus that it looks like a boiled anus existed well before the TG review.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Why did dude get s souped up Avalon and not a Cayman GT4???
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The ugliest porsch out side that suv. :(
View Quote

it's funny how the 4wd magazines were all amazed at that SUV's capabilities offroad. Put everything else to shame.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:00:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I like them, however the M6 GT or the F10 & E60 M5 look a lot better.

Also, the 2008 to 2010 E60 550I M-Sport & E39 M5 are still hard to beat in the looks department

Cowpunk

Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:04:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
And ugly as sin while doing it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A Buddy bought the top of the line Panamera. 550 hp and 0 to 60 in about 3.4 seconds. He did a couple of speed runs using the launch control mode where you stand on the brake and floor the gas to build up turbo boost. Oh my God! I can understand how people with super fast cars can wipe out and kill themselves.
This one has four wheel drive and tracked straight but things are happening so fast that if something went wrong I wouldn't have time to react. He took it up to 170 mph before he backed off. I would love to own one myself. It sure would make passing on the freeway fun.
And ugly as sin while doing it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A Buddy bought the top of the line Panamera. 550 hp and 0 to 60 in about 3.4 seconds. He did a couple of speed runs using the launch control mode where you stand on the brake and floor the gas to build up turbo boost. Oh my God! I can understand how people with super fast cars can wipe out and kill themselves.
This one has four wheel drive and tracked straight but things are happening so fast that if something went wrong I wouldn't have time to react. He took it up to 170 mph before he backed off. I would love to own one myself. It sure would make passing on the freeway fun.
View Quote

meh

ugliest car on the road

Porsche 911 is only Porsche
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:14:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

At what track did he do this?    Certainly he is not a complete shit bag who would being that on a public road, right?   In many to most places, driving like that would be a felony.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I like the Panamera its about time Porsche challenged
mercedes and bmw in the sedan business
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:21:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I believe it's 184 mph (200 kph?) per some international agreement. Hot bikes can easily exceed that number but the RPM's in top gear are limited by programming in the engine ECU. Aftermarket black boxes tell the ECU that the trans is in 5th, not 6th and thus give full RPM range and 200+ mph capability. Pretty sure it's the same for cars.
View Quote

Not true for cars.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:35:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
buddy of mine bought a twin turbo Carrera 2 in 04, we used to make a speed run <edited> of 147 miles for breakfast in Soldotna, we could make it in an hour and 45 minutes, he did it in 55min. Of course the road is much better now with 90% of the corners gone until Kenai lake.

He parked at a store one day and some fucking punks keyed it, made me sick, he had to ship it out of state to get it repainted, over $30 grand
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
buddy of mine bought a twin turbo Carrera 2 in 04, we used to make a speed run <edited> of 147 miles for breakfast in Soldotna, we could make it in an hour and 45 minutes, he did it in 55min. Of course the road is much better now with 90% of the corners gone until Kenai lake.

He parked at a store one day and some fucking punks keyed it, made me sick, he had to ship it out of state to get it repainted, over $30 grand

Karma is a bitch.   Your friend has no regard for others, and they have have no regard for his car.

Meh.   Shit balances out.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:40:17 PM EDT
[#37]
gen1 ugly as sin
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Exactly.

Porsche is profitable because of the re-badged mass-produced VW and Audi SUVs they sell, not because of 911 sales.
View Quote

FIFY

Not just re-badged. The running gear is common, the rest, unique. It causes the Porsche and Audi to be profitable and the Toureg to be expensive.

TC
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:46:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

and the self-deploying spoiler will include its own suite of sensors, hydraulic controls, and a proprietary diagnostic/control module not accessible via CANbus
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Gay
View Quote

Yeah, well, your avatar says "Cummins Diesel" so you kind of removed yourself from the conversation...

TC
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

AMG C63
BMW 328xi Wagon (6-spd)
ES330 (Dad's car.)
911 (sold)

I try to avoid dick-measuring contests but you started it.

TC
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My wife and I thought about the Tesla before buying the Panamera.

But, there were several problems with the Tesla that pretty much eliminated it from contention.  First of all, the Tesla was not available in AWD/4WD, which the Panamera is.  That might seem like a small thing, until you realize (as we have) that here in the D.C. area, pretty much ALL of the Teslas (and there are a lot of them) disappear from the roads in the winter.  People are apparently not willing to drive their electric toys in the snow/sleet/ice.  Because my wife needed a daily driver, this was a very bad sign.  The second issue is that her work sometimes takes her 120+ miles in a day (commuting back and forth) - and we were simply not convinced that a Tesla in the winter (with reduced battery range due to cold) could reliably take her all the way from home and back, including the possibility of being stuck in a snow/accident caused jam on the beltway or 95.   So while there are a lot of cool things about the Tesla, it simply wasn't a viable choice.  Plus, as a final consideration, the interior and backseat of the Tesla looks and feels like crap, whereas the Panamera is incredibly luxurious and comfortable.

It really was no contest.
View Quote

You're a professor and didn't research the Tesla models?  D is AWD.
/dkproflol
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:01:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:03:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Haters gonna hate. I like the Panamera.
View Quote

This.

I think they look great.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:07:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Wasn't out when we bought the Panamera.
View Quote

I retract my earlier comment.  No hate on the Panamera BTW. Incredibly practical car.  If they resale ever dips I'll snag a turbo.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:11:22 PM EDT
[#47]
That's a woman's porsche
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:23:23 PM EDT
[#48]
I was looking at Audis at the dealership and the sales guy showed me one. I'd never seen one before, and right away I told my wife I just didn't care for the looks.

I ended up with an E63. It doesn't look very sexy, but man is it fun to drive.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:26:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

To be fair, I am certain there is a Tesla available now that has AWD - but it wasn't around when we were buying the Panamera.

Yeah, snow in DC/NoVA can really suck.  I had to go to campus one day after a big storm, and I stopped counting abandoned/stranded cars when I got to 50.  

Fortunately, in addition to the AWD on the Panamera, we also put really good winter tires on it every winter, so she can just power through almost any snow/sleep you can imagine.  To her, the danger is other drivers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Appreciate the feedback. A fun car would probably end up being a summer weekbnd / no kids car for me but the lack of AWD would really restrict it's use to what I "wanted" with no leeway to use it the other 9 months of the year .

To be fair, I am certain there is a Tesla available now that has AWD - but it wasn't around when we were buying the Panamera.

Side story: DC/NOVA is the only place I've ever had issues with snow on the road, back in 1999 there was a big snow storm and I was headed to work on I-66 in Rosslyn just past Arlington cemetery and I came around the bend by the Francis Scott Lee bridge to see 2 of 3 lanes blocked by crashed cars, I managed to weave my way through as I couldn't stop in time but ended up in a snowbank on the side of the road. It took three hours to get a tow truck to pull me out and in that time I must have had 30+ unmarked (assorded Federal LEO agency) cars stop to check on me.

Yeah, snow in DC/NoVA can really suck.  I had to go to campus one day after a big storm, and I stopped counting abandoned/stranded cars when I got to 50.  

Fortunately, in addition to the AWD on the Panamera, we also put really good winter tires on it every winter, so she can just power through almost any snow/sleep you can imagine.  To her, the danger is other drivers.

I saw something like that in Cincinnati while headed south on I-75.    The stretch was 2 lanes at the time.  The congestion trough the area was very slow normally.   I was tooling down I-75 headed into Kentucky between 8am and 9am during the work week.    There was a lot of snow.   Over 6"  additional snow accumulated overnight.    Lots of salt trucks and plows were out.   I was tooling along, keeping pace with traffic in a wonderful little beater, a Toyota Echo.   Some crazy person in a white Audi S8 with their brights on decided to ride my bumper.    I just ignored the retard.   The person was clearly in a big hurry... to die and probably kill someone else along the way.    They wipped around me and passed me on the right like I was sitting still.   By the way, I was in the right lane of the interstate. They really were making good time.   In the pouring snow and spraying wash, I lost track of the magnificent idiot.     Within a minute, traffic came to a crawl, and everyone shifted left a little.  Up ahead, on the right, in the emergency lane was the big, white S8... stuck!    Snow was flying and the car was going nowhere.    Since we going so slowly, I made a point to honk and wave as I passed.

Link Posted: 1/29/2017 11:31:00 PM EDT
[#50]
BS, E63 looks awesome.  

Quoted:
I was looking at Audis at the dealership and the sales guy showed me one. I'd never seen one before, and right away I told my wife I just didn't care for the looks.

I ended up with an E63. It doesn't look very sexy, but man is it fun to drive.
View Quote
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top