BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#1]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That has got some serious hangtime.  Pretty neat, very quiet..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn that is quiet.

http://youtu.be/Lb1WNkxB_eE

That has got some serious hangtime.  Pretty neat, very quiet..
seriously that little fucker can travel.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:41:33 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

What's old is new again. Didn't the Japanese use these in WWII?
View Quote

And, if I remember right, more than one GI heard it called a knee mortar and tried to shoot it off their leg.  With poor results.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:46:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
seriously that little fucker can travel.

View Quote

No shit.... how high do they go?  
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#5]
French still use the rifle grenade too
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:53:20 AM EDT
[#6]
We already have a better version of that called the 60mm mortar.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:53:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

And, if I remember right, more than one GI heard it called a knee mortar and tried to shoot it off their leg.  With poor results.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is NOT how those grenade launchers were supposed to be used.

This is the correct way:

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I would rather have the multi-shot 40mm launcher.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#9]

The 203 and 320 is not an indirect fire weapon. I think maybe you have the idea of indirect fire confused. Both of those are direct fire weapons. You can't see targets when you're doing indirect fire.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 9:59:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

What's the db level on a M203?  Seems like it would be possible to make a suppressed version if you really wanted to...
View Quote

It reminds me of a really loud paintball gun.

Very mild compared to every other weapon.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:03:56 AM EDT
[#11]
No need for a new "Knee-Mortar"

Trying to find a solution for a non-existant problem.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The 203 and 320 is not an indirect fire weapon. I think maybe you have the idea of indirect fire confused. Both of those are direct fire weapons. You can't see targets when you're doing indirect fire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

"Its primary purpose is to engage enemies in dead space that cannot be reached by direct fire."

Hasty Indirect weapon.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:23:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What's the db level on a M203?  Seems like it would be possible to make a suppressed version if you really wanted to...

I was only cool enough to fire an orange powder training version in BCT-hard to judge how loud something is with ear pro in.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:32:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't think it does the high angle of indirect that a mortar does.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Being a mor-tard who rocked a M79 in iraq i feel qualified to speak on this.  Just like the folks on the outer limits, when employing 40mm goodness YOU control the horizontal, and the vertical.  This awesome level of control allows you to "lob" (i.e. fire on targets from behind defilade.) explosive rounds on target without a direct LOS.  I will illustrate:

Task: explosive rounds on target from behind a building (think of shooting your driveway from the backyard)
Condition: Given; one moderatley motivated 11C20 armed with an M79 40mm grenade launcher and a target in an alleyway behind a building.
Standards: makee makee splodee.

1. Point M79 straight ahead like you would a rifle, parallel to the ground.
2. Add elevation until you are somewhere between 60 and 80 degrees.  Remember, the payload will travel around 350M and MV is fairly constant-you'll have to get a feel for it, or just walk that shit in.
3. fire M79 (bonus points for turning to your PL and saying "shot over")
4. ?????
5. Profit
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Being a mor-tard who rocked a M79 in iraq i feel qualified to speak on this.  Just like the folks on the outer limits, when employing 40mm goodness YOU control the horizontal, and the vertical.  This awesome level of control allows you to "lob" (i.e. fire on targets from behind defilade.) explosive rounds on target without a direct LOS.  I will illustrate:

Task: explosive rounds on target from behind a building (think of shooting your driveway from the backyard)
Condition: Given; one moderatley motivated 11C20 armed with an M79 40mm grenade launcher and a target in an alleyway behind a building.

2. Add elevation until you are somewhere between 60 and 80 degrees.  Remember, the payload will travel around 350M and MV is fairly constant-you'll have to get a feel for it, or just walk that shit in.
4. ?????
5. Profit
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

4. ?????
5. Profit

Squared away.
You need a Tank.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:39:42 AM EDT
[#16]
how do i go aboot getting one of those?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:51:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Join the Foreign Legion?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
how do i go aboot getting one of those?
Join the Foreign Legion?  

i meant the tank your penguininess.  i have kleine interest in the gaul's mortars, no matter how good their condition is-never fired, only dropped once... you know, that old chestnut...

Mein bruder was kind enough to square me away with the info i need though-tango mike Aeain!
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:16:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:17:45 AM EDT
[#21]
the FLY-K system has been around for a while, I like this version

It covers an area 130mx80m

Quoted:
How do you aim it/set the correct angle? Is the base adjustable? What if the ground's not level? Is it just "Kentucky Windage"?  

Wouldn't the ordinance with the knee mortar be more powerful than the grenades?
View Quote

Rheinmetall has also developed a quick-mounting digital aiming device for the Fly-K mortar, a system successfully deployed by the French armed forces in Afghanistan. The device measures the incline and elevation angle of the tube, while showing the range of the cartridges on a display. Light, compact, quiet and with a very low operational signature, this indirect fire weapon can of course also be used without an aiming device to engage targets at distances of up to 800 metres.
/quote
source
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#22]
So this thing has more range and payload than the 40mm grenades but is less portable and less quick to employ.  It's got less range and payload than our 60mm mortars, but is more portable and faster to employ.

It sure would kill some fools, but perhaps we've got it's niche bracketed just fine already.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#23]

Someone gave me a couple of those as we were basically walking out the door at the beginning of 2012. It was the day before we were supposed to fly out, they tell me there's some equipment in some Alpha Company BSTB arms room for me. SGT Armorer hands me two of these things still in the box, I have some idea of what they are. "So how do they work?" He fumbles through a rough 10 minute lesson of how it works as I read the manual. Walked over to the conex yard, chucked those motherfuckers in a tough box and didn't look at them again (outside of cyclic inventories) for the rest of the tour.

They seem like they'd be pretty cool if you were actually trained and practiced at using them. The sight seems dramatically better than the old M203 sight.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We're at weight capacity now.

If you want a new toy, you have to give up something else to be able to carry it.

These are cool toys, sure.  But the question is, what do you give up to be able to carry it?
View Quote

You could displace some AT4's with it, especially since it has the ability to be re-loaded.  The best thing to take these types of systems to the next level is to have precision guidance warheads, that are driven from the Squad-level without any need to coordinate fires with someone outside the unit in-contact.  Once you add that, you have a significant over-match against the enemy, and don't need as much CAS.

Land Warrior would provide the architecture to guide organic precision munitions as well.  It would basically top off what it would take to field as close to a 100% first-round on-target system, at least with regard to kill radius.  Add a continuous computed impact mode to the system, and it would be sick.  LRF + Polar Plot + PGM Warhead = impact.

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:21:49 PM EDT
[#26]
I got to watch a demonstration of them a few years ago. It's very quiet in person.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Can one man carry the weapon system all the rounds and use it entirely by himself? That is what the LGI was designed for, so that every squad could have one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Can one man carry the weapon system all the rounds and use it entirely by himself? That is what the LGI was designed for, so that every squad could have one.

Sure a man can.

The real question is, does he want to?
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You can use both to cover dead space in the defense; you don't need to see the target but instead put in physical stops that will allow accurate enough fire
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#32]
If I remember correctly the Japanese "knee" morter was NOT designd to be fired off your  knee or leg.

It was designed to be fired with the curved bottom plate on the ground.

It also stated that the Jap knee mortar was very effective...

I wil see if I can find where I read that...
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:28:14 PM EDT
[#33]
KNEE MORTAR? WHAT?

Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Tag
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Don't know since the M25 hasn't been fielded by anyone yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What can it do that a M25 gunner in each squad can't?  From what I've read from the loggie side, the units issued XM25's for testing in Afghanistan really liked them, and it looks like they are going to be fielded at the squad level Army-wide in the next couple of years.

It's been fielded, this was our Platoons in 2011, thats me holding it.

I'd rather have that mortar, or Carl Gustaves
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#36]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can do it. http://htmlimg2.scribdassets.com/6t717x13wgfpetz/images/71-ac3518d2dd.jpg

I would feel better about the ability of the military to deliver high explosives on target if they could manage spelling a little better.  "VERTICAL"
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s953.photobucket.com/user/Bushmaster1984/media/military/298073_232526570139100_1894556568_n_zps3c5f2937.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae18/Bushmaster1984/military/298073_232526570139100_1894556568_n_zps3c5f2937.jpg</a>

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What can it do that a M25 gunner in each squad can't?  From what I've read from the loggie side, the units issued XM25's for testing in Afghanistan really liked them, and it looks like they are going to be fielded at the squad level Army-wide in the next couple of years.

<a href="http://s953.photobucket.com/user/Bushmaster1984/media/military/298073_232526570139100_1894556568_n_zps3c5f2937.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae18/Bushmaster1984/military/298073_232526570139100_1894556568_n_zps3c5f2937.jpg</a>

Look at that Sexy man. I miss that place... Well not the strongpoint. But, Our COP was pretty nice.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:49:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Look at that Sexy man. I miss that place... Well not the strongpoint. But, Our COP was pretty nice.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s953.photobucket.com/user/Bushmaster1984/media/military/298073_232526570139100_1894556568_n_zps3c5f2937.jpg.html" target="_blank">

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae18/Bushmaster1984/military/298073_232526570139100_1894556568_n_zps3c5f2937.jpg</a>

I liked life at that strong point

dont miss the ANA
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

dont miss the ANA
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s953.photobucket.com/user/Bushmaster1984/media/military/298073_232526570139100_1894556568_n_zps3c5f2937.jpg.html" target="_blank">

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae18/Bushmaster1984/military/298073_232526570139100_1894556568_n_zps3c5f2937.jpg</a>

dont miss the ANA

No one misses them.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 3:22:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I liked the SP more than the COP, but I could have done without the ANA.
Now, to add to the discussion at hand, I think an M203 is more versatile weapon, and I loved carrying one. I also the the new M320, but as a stand alone weapon, not attached to a rifle.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top