BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My mother had a C6-C7 fusion about 10 weeks ago, you can barely see the scar. The incision is just to the right of the trachea and about an inch long, it was closed with glue so there are no stitches or staples. She went home a day after the surgery with no brace and the only restriction was "Take it easy for a week or so." she is closer to 70 than 60 and was back to work in a week.

I'm betting if a person with a similar surgery was running from and fighting with the police they prolly wouldn't notice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
After my morning coffee I'm starting to think this is probably bullshit.  Neck surgery of any kind would have been apparent and noted by the police and medical team and you damn well know the Baltimore P.D. would have put that information out by now.  The fact that we collectively jump on this without a shred of evidence makes us no better than the Al Sharptons of the World.  

Not all spine surgeries leave massive scars.  Actually few do.

Coming off my second back surgery in January, I call BS.  And mine were about as least invasive as they come.  You still end up with very noticeable scars.

My mother had a C6-C7 fusion about 10 weeks ago, you can barely see the scar. The incision is just to the right of the trachea and about an inch long, it was closed with glue so there are no stitches or staples. She went home a day after the surgery with no brace and the only restriction was "Take it easy for a week or so." she is closer to 70 than 60 and was back to work in a week.

I'm betting if a person with a similar surgery was running from and fighting with the police they prolly wouldn't notice.

Every surgery is a little different.

I had microdiscectomy of my L4-L5 in August of 2013.  They put me to sleep at 8:45am and I left the hospital at 1:30pm.  I have a noticeable scar, but it's not ridiculous huge either.  I was barred from driving for a week and my lifting restriction was 5 pounds for the first 4 months or so.  Pain was minimal, I had pain pills prescribed but I think I only took two of them.

I had a very fast initial recovery in the hospital, but a lot slower recovery after I left the hospital.  I wasn't able to work for 2 weeks, and for 2 weeks after that I worked half days from my office at home.  I think everyone's experience varies pretty widely with these kinds of surgeries, depending on what surgery is done, the skill of the surgeon, and how the person reacts to it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:12:03 AM EDT
[#2]
OP, good beat down then?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Its not going to stop the riots or looting, and nobody will ever convince the masses here that the cops werent on a murderous rampage. I do however hope this is confirmed true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Its not going to stop the riots or looting, and nobody will ever convince the masses here that the cops werent on a murderous rampage. I do however hope this is confirmed true.

It won't make the slightest bit of difference. If the cops had a video of Freddie Gray pulling a gun and shooting at them before his neck was broken, the Rachel Maddows, Al Sharptons, and Barack Obamas would just say that it was a peaceful protest and it was justified because of Eric Garner, Michael Brown, and Trayvon Martin.

Quoted:
Quoted:
After my morning coffee I'm starting to think this is probably bullshit.  Neck surgery of any kind would have been apparent and noted by the police and medical team and you damn well know the Baltimore P.D. would have put that information out by now.  The fact that we collectively jump on this without a shred of evidence makes us no better than the Al Sharptons of the World.  

They can't really make that knowledge public themselves, can they? With HIPPA (HIPAA?) or whatever.

The problem with this is that the hospital would have shot x-rays of Gray's neck when they examined him. If he had orthopedic surgery at the site of the injury, one week before his death, a first year med student would have seen it. The nurses and the x-ray tech would have seen it, too.

That leads to two possibilities.

One: he did not have surgery on his neck a week before his death.
Two: someone purposefully left that detail out of the report.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:04:15 AM EDT
[#4]
The daily mail is reporting that the settlement he rec'd was for lead paint contamination he rec'd as a kid.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#5]
The mother fucker could have molested new borns and there would still be fucking riots.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It won't make the slightest bit of difference. If the cops had a video of Freddie Gray pulling a gun and shooting at them before his neck was broken, the Rachel Maddows, Al Sharptons, and Barack Obamas would just say that it was a peaceful protest and it was justified because of Eric Garner, Michael Brown, and Trayvon Martin.
View Quote

That pretty much sums it up. If people haven't caught on that someone is trying to promote racial strife across the nation for nefarious reasons, we are going to have race wars soon.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The looters don't give a hairy rat's ass about the truth of what happened to Gray.  Whether it was Gray's fault or the PD's fault is a thought that never entered their small minds.  All they saw was a ready made reason to stick it to the man or something, and they seized the opportunity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The death was just another excuse to riot, trash and loot. I doubt the people behind these riots would have given any of the dead the sweat off their ballsack while they were still alive.

The looters don't give a hairy rat's ass about the truth of what happened to Gray.  Whether it was Gray's fault or the PD's fault is a thought that never entered their small minds.  All they saw was a ready made reason to stick it to the man or something, and they seized the opportunity.

All of the above.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

wonder how likely that left long term risks... he was running from Cops right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I would not count on that.

Where is there an iota of evidence in the linked stories?  And tell me why the Baltimore P.D. isn't putting this information out there if it is true?

He was in a car accident back in 2006.

http://casesearch.courts.state.md.us/inquiry/inquiryDetail.jis?caseId=010100353062006&detailLoc=DSCIVIL

The supposed surgery was because of a car accident he was in.

Also, on the link to the story, they posted images of records of the settlement he got from that accident being converted into a lump sum, which could very well have been used for spinal surgery.

He was running from police when his spine was severed. What we don't know is how it was severed. Whether he fell whilst running, was tackled, etc.

If he had spinal surgery very recently it could have made his spine more susceptible to being severed.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They can't really make that knowledge public themselves, can they? With HIPPA (HIPAA?) or whatever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or maybe they are doing the RIGHT THING and making sure they have completed their investigation before releasing the results. God forbid the authorities take a complete accounting of a mans death before releasing partial details.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He was running from police when his spine was severed. What we don't know is how it was severed. Whether he fell whilst running, was tackled, etc.

If he had spinal surgery very recently it could have made his spine more susceptible to being severed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh I would not count on that.

Where is there an iota of evidence in the linked stories?  And tell me why the Baltimore P.D. isn't putting this information out there if it is true?

He was in a car accident back in 2006.

http://casesearch.courts.state.md.us/inquiry/inquiryDetail.jis?caseId=010100353062006&detailLoc=DSCIVIL

The supposed surgery was because of a car accident he was in.

Also, on the link to the story, they posted images of records of the settlement he got from that accident being converted into a lump sum, which could very well have been used for spinal surgery.

Ok, so the video of him being dragged (one the shoulders of the cops) evidences that the injury was sustained before transport.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ok, so the video of him being dragged (one the shoulders of the cops) evidences that the injury was sustained before transport.
View Quote

I believe so. It looks like he was paralyzed at that point. Although, they had cuffed his ankles IIRC, which may have been why they had to drag him.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:05:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Do officers check for scars before apprehending a suspect?  Do officers even check for scars or other signs of surgery after they slap the cuffs on you?

Just curious how the cops would see a scar on a fleeing suspect?  

IMHO if a suspect is able to run his ass away from me then i am not going to even dream they just had spinal surgery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coming off my second back surgery in January, I call BS.  And mine were about as least invasive as they come.  You still end up with very noticeable scars.

Do officers check for scars before apprehending a suspect?  Do officers even check for scars or other signs of surgery after they slap the cuffs on you?

IMHO if a suspect is able to run his ass away from me then i am not going to even dream they just had spinal surgery.

No, typically, before you even touch them they are screaming I GOT A BROKE BACK.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had my neck fused last july, I have a 3" scar on the front of my neck from it..and yes, it stands out like a sore thumb...also, I was told bare minimum is 6 weeks in a neck brace.....Regardless, guy was walking,talking and breathing when he was put in the paddy wagon with no leg irons, but 20 minutes later when medical services were called on the side of the road, he was not breathing, and in leg irons..sounds like he got a tuneup after he was taken from the scene..I hope that didn't happen, but it sounds like it did, hopefully it was justified if it did, and there is reliable neutral witnesses...(course you would think they would have stepped forward by now)...

Question for the officers..if you have bad medical issues and are confronted by a cop, how do you convey that to them and help protect yourself from further damage? Besides my badly damaged neck(have 3 more disc badly damaged in my neck above the fusion), damage to a joint in my low back, and a badly damaged and repaired left shoulder and wrist(cannot put my left hand behind my back at all, it won't go there anymore),how do you make a cop understand that and not do further damage to you?..I know, don't do stupid shit, to have cops come for you, but sometimes you can be in the wrong place and get caught up in stuff without any choice of your own..thanks for any info...
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Burn and loot. Nobody cares, free shit bro.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't know shit about pre-existing spine injuries.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My dad has had two spinal surgeries, his scars look about like the top one, and then he has a tiny one in the front of his neck. Bottom picture is spine & brain surgery.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:30:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Or maybe they are doing the RIGHT THING and making sure they have completed their investigation before releasing the results. God forbid the authorities take a complete accounting of a mans death before releasing partial details.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

++

additionally, after reading the thread a week or two ago where GD went full-on Dunning-Kruger herpderp pontificating on how terrible a job an orthopedic surgeon did on a femur ORIF, i will admit to skepticism on GD's knowledge of Freddie Gray's cervical spinal fusion surgery, if indeed he had any.

it was interesting to see how people edited/memory-holed their posts in that thread after an orthopod stepped in.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Pretty sure i read he had multiple broken bones in his neck, which is still hard to explain without excessive force against him.
View Quote

No autopsy report yet, if he had broken bones (vertebrae) it could be after surgical procedure bone seeding (lose bone in the vertebral space for fusion)

but being in the streets without collar he would die anyway

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't at the risk of their job and freedom when they don't heed a suspects scream and pleas of pain that something was wrong.

I get it.  Cops job is tough.  Especially when you deal with the worst humanity has to offer day after day.  It numbs and jades them, as would be expected.  And that right there sets them up for events like this.  Huge problem in the criminal justice system.  They (the cops) are let down by the system that doesn't adequately address the mental health issues that the officers have to deal with.  We can't do away with the criminals.  Always going to be thugs.  Just have to take better care of our officers mental health to help avoid some a repeat of some of the recent events.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:36:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I believe so. It looks like he was paralyzed at that point. Although, they had cuffed his ankles IIRC, which may have been why they had to drag him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if that was so, it wouldn't take liability off those officers.  You believe his back was broken before being put in the paddy wagon from the video because he was dragged and screaming.  So bet a jury would too.  Next question to the officers would be if Joe Public could tell by that video, why couldn't they.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:55:39 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Well this puts a new spin on things.
View Quote

Also very easy to determine and the autopsy will show this. Now when is the autopsy being released?

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Also very easy to determine and the autopsy will show this. Now when is the autopsy being released?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomorrow?  Is the release being delayed for some reason?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:21:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are waiting to see if he is resurrected and the Second Coming or merely a Saint.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:49:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They are waiting to see if he is resurrected and the Second Coming or merely a Saint.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe he's just a "gentle, normal sized" person.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:52:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
After my morning coffee I'm starting to think this is probably bullshit.  Neck surgery of any kind would have been apparent and noted by the police and medical team and you damn well know the Baltimore P.D. would have put that information out by now. The fact that we collectively jump on this without a shred of evidence makes us no better than the Al Sharptons of the World.  
View Quote

I believe you're a lawyer, correct?

If so, you should know better than to assume things like this can be easily concealed
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#29]
I understand that the accident thing was just a rumor ...  didn't pan out to be true.

Correct?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Has this been verified from any legit sources?

I have yet to see any of the big name media sites talk about this.
View Quote

I read it on 4chan quite a while ago. . . It's tough to imagine that with buildings burning down and cops being hit with bricks that no journalist has seriously looked into it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I understand that the accident thing was just a rumor ...  didn't pan out to be true.

Correct?
View Quote

There are people on our side, just like their side, that want something to be true so badly that they can't let it go...even when it's obviously false.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

There are people on our side, just like their side, that want something to be true so badly that they can't let it go...even when it's obviously false.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct?

A huge difference however is we haven't totally believed this was true and if/when it's proven not true then we'll change our minds and adjust to the facts.  It's understood that this is a rumor that could be true...key word - could.

The other side will do no such thing, their mind is made up, it was murder no matter what information and facts come out.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

A huge difference however is we haven't totally believed this was true and if/when it's proven not true then we'll change our minds and adjust to the facts.  It's understood that this is a rumor that could be true...key word - could.

The other side will do no such thing, their mind is made up, it was murder no matter what information and facts come out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Correct?

Quite right.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:27:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Eggshell Skull Rule.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:31:07 PM EDT
[#35]
There is no way he is running one week post op
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top