Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:03:42 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I walked into walmart to pick up a 6 pack of propel and a box of winchester .22 LR (ar15 .22 conversion, I'm too cheap to shoot .223). I grabbed the propel, and walked over to the sports center. In the parking lot I was in a hurry so I left my G26 CCW and my iphone. Dumb move.

As I walked up, I noticed a large, marpat wearing dude in front of me. Being a Marine myself, I know what fake marpat looks like (I have 5 sets of the real stuff here at my house). He's wearing Fake marpat (No EGA, color was off. Brown jumped out too much), no name tapes, EGA marked boots (Bloused), green skivvy shirt with dog tags, a military haircut (grey hair) and tan mcmap belt. Boots and utes. He was attempting to buy a fishing or hunting license at the Sporting goods in Walmart (Burleson, right behind the Mcdonalds on 174, about 1445 or so. The Stolen Valor act does not prevent those using the uniform to deceive and obtain services or goods from being prosecuted, correct?)

I know, as a Marine we are expressly forbidden from wearing utilities out in public except for certain reasons, like a family emergency or pumping gas. Walmart, especially boots and utes, is forbidden.

I wanted to reach up, take tubby by the neck, and beat some sense into him for having the audacity to think himself equal to wear the same uniform others have died wearing.

You didnt pull his card right there?  I leave soldiers and airmen alone when I see them fucking up - not my place.  As a Former Marine - I will address the issue and help police our own.  

That was a justified case of counseling.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d54/mos2111/Counciling.jpg

But all the "dudes" here posting havent earned the Eagle, Globe and Anchor and will tell you he should be able to walk that line as close as he wants.  

Im in the minority and know it.  

ETA: Not actually a Marine, I still would have let him know that hitting up the Recruiter would get him the real deal and the self confidence that goes with it.

Huh?

+1

Wtf?

ETA: Oh, I think he means that even though the subject in the OP wasn't actually a Marine he would have given the guy a heads up that he could always join the Corps and wear the uniform for real. At least I think that's what he meant...  

Even so, why would you jump some random persons ass, for wearing a green skivvy shirt and Marpat and combat boots with an EGA (cheaper than dirt used to sell because they were defects) in Wally world?

Who's gonna look like the bigger ass, the guy in knock off Marpat or you being an idiot lifeing and knife handing some random guy in knock off Marpat in Walmart?

Sorry can't see the big deal. Even if Pvt Fingerfucked was home on Boot leave and was jacked up in his Alphas, I can't see "pulling his card" him there and then like some rabid 1st Sgt going thru caffine withdrawls, when you could say "Dude fuckin fix your gig line you look like a bag of shit." in a conversational way.

I mean WTF, Lifeing somebody in walmart is bad form.

I get what you're saying. I wouldn't have made a big deal out of it since I see it all the time it seems. It's only when the heroic war stories come out that I start the interrogations. Guys wear cammies all the time out here.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:04:34 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wanted to reach up, take tubby by the neck, and beat some sense into him for having the audacity to think himself equal to wear the same uniform others have died wearing.

I did see the part where you mentioned that he wasn't wearing an authentic uniform. I missed the part where he implied that he was in the Marine Corps.

This.

Was the guy wearing the MOH, and you forgot to mention it?  

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:11:30 AM EDT
[#3]

WFT is that all about???
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:18:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Mocking that guy (The over weight kid in the 2 photos) fat or not is fucking disrespectful to say the least. Atleast he is/was serving his country.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:22:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I walked into walmart to pick up a 6 pack of propel and a box of winchester .22 LR (ar15 .22 conversion, I'm too cheap to shoot .223). I grabbed the propel, and walked over to the sports center. In the parking lot I was in a hurry so I left my G26 CCW and my iphone. Dumb move.

As I walked up, I noticed a large, marpat wearing dude in front of me. Being a Marine myself, I know what fake marpat looks like (I have 5 sets of the real stuff here at my house). He's wearing Fake marpat (No EGA, color was off. Brown jumped out too much), no name tapes, EGA marked boots (Bloused), green skivvy shirt with dog tags, a military haircut (grey hair) and tan mcmap belt. Boots and utes. He was attempting to buy a fishing or hunting license at the Sporting goods in Walmart (Burleson, right behind the Mcdonalds on 174, about 1445 or so. The Stolen Valor act does not prevent those using the uniform to deceive and obtain services or goods from being prosecuted, correct?)

I know, as a Marine we are expressly forbidden from wearing utilities out in public except for certain reasons, like a family emergency or pumping gas. Walmart, especially boots and utes, is forbidden.

You didnt pull his card right there?  I leave soldiers and airmen alone when I see them fucking up - not my place.  As a Former Marine - I will address the issue and help police our own.  
That was a justified case of counseling.
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d54/mos2111/Counciling.jpg

But all the "dudes" here posting havent earned the Eagle, Globe and Anchor and will tell you he should be able to walk that line as close as he wants.  
Im in the minority and know it.  

ETA: Not actually a Marine, I still would have let him know that hitting up the Recruiter would get him the real deal and the self confidence that goes with it.

Huh?

+1

Wtf?

ETA: Oh, I think he means that even though the subject in the OP wasn't actually a Marine he would have given the guy a heads up that he could always join the Corps and wear the uniform for real. At least I think that's what he meant...  

Even so, why would you jump some random persons ass, for wearing a green skivvy shirt and Marpat and combat boots with an EGA (cheaper than dirt used to sell because they were defects) in Wally world?

Who's gonna look like the bigger ass, the guy in knock off Marpat or you being an idiot lifeing and knife handing some random guy in knock off Marpat in Walmart?

Sorry can't see the big deal. Even if Pvt Fingerfucked was home on Boot leave and was jacked up in his Alphas, I can't see "pulling his card" him there and then like some rabid 1st Sgt going thru caffine withdrawls, when you could say "Dude fuckin fix your gig line you look like a bag of shit." in a conversational way.

I mean WTF, Lifeing somebody in walmart is bad form.

I get what you're saying. I wouldn't have made a big deal out of it since I see it all the time it seems. It's only when the heroic war stories come out that I start the interrogations. Guys wear cammies all the time out here.

I misread the op post.  I was under the impression he WAS a jarhead. Poor communication on my part.
This dude would have gotten a comment, as he was looking for one - If you want to look like a Marine, expect to be questioned about it.
PFC's who are dicked up are a different matter.  I would be much nicer to a PFC in dicked up Alphas (may not know, may be borrowing an item that they lost,ect) than the same PFC in cammies in public.  Camies in public are a no go and we all know it.  There is a reason you dont see Marines in cammies in public.  Want to look like one, expect to get comments from other Marines to ensure you are not actually a Marine.
(We all know what public is - the range is a stretch)
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:24:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Can somebody explain this to me. I was under the impression that you have to go through a a few weeks of hard training to get into the army. How is it possible to be that overweight and still complete all the running and climbing ropes and walls and all that other stuff?

IRR recall or a Reserve/National Guard guy with a shitty attitude.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:24:54 AM EDT
[#7]
the camo po-lice are on the prowl
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:25:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If he isn't wearing rank or unit insignia I can't really get upset over it. I think the general public is aware that people other then the military wear camouflage clothing. There is a world of difference between a poseur and an old guy going hunting.

We have lots of hunters here (tidewater area) that shop for camo at the surplus stores, and we are surrounded by the .mil of all types. Lack of insigna(s) and rank could mean he is a Fudd hunter.

Yup... I've shot deer and turkey while wearing woodland BDU's & worn DCU's hunting in fall/winter. Living near large Air Force and Army posts means cheap surplus camo.... I have no patches, tapes, flashes or insignia on my gear, nor do I own any dogtags.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:31:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

WFT is that all about???

RIGHT HERE
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:32:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Maybe you should kick my ass while your at it OP.

I'm ex Air force. However I have MARPAT  pants and shirts that I wear when I go out hunting in the early season. No name, unit patches etc. Yes I have stopped and shopped for ammo etc. while wearing them. Got a problem with that, Tough, get over it.  As long as I don't claim to be a marine from some unit or what ever I'll wear it.

The stuff is sold all over the place and MANY folks use it for outdoor activities. Ever go to a paint-ball field? Maybe you should go there and kick some ass as well.

Oh well, hope you blood pressure over small stuff don't kill you.

EBR666
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:33:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If he isn't wearing rank or unit insignia I can't really get upset over it. I think the general public is aware that people other then the military wear camouflage clothing. There is a world of difference between a poseur and an old guy going hunting.

We have lots of hunters here (tidewater area) that shop for camo at the surplus stores, and we are surrounded by the .mil of all types. Lack of insigna(s) and rank could mean he is a Fudd hunter.

Yup... I've shot deer and turkey while wearing woodland BDU's & worn DCU's hunting in fall/winter. Living near large Air Force and Army posts means cheap surplus camo.... I have no patches, tapes, flashes or insignia on my gear, nor do I own any dogtags.

And you probably dont blouse your boots, put on ID tags (dog tags) and visit local stores either.

Nothing wrong with old cammies, I have mine and will still hit up the range or a competition in the cargo bottoms. I dont wear mine in public.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:37:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm ex Air force. However I have MARPAT  pants and shirts that I wear when I go out hunting in the early season. No name, unit patches etc. Yes I have stopped and shopped for ammo etc. while wearing them. Got a problem with that, Tough, get over it.  As long as I don't claim to be a marine from some unit or what ever I'll wear it.

The stuff is sold all over the place and MANY folks use it for outdoor activities. Ever go to a paint-ball field? Maybe you should go there and kick some ass as well.

EBR666

You have the right to do that, you also cant expect to get all butthurt when some Devil Dog pays attention to you to make sure you arent a Marine.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:39:53 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm right there with you OP.

No one cares is dome D bag civilian wears ACU's into walmart, attempting to look like and off duty soldier because everyone knows off duty soldiers look like bags of ass after hours.

BUT, in the Marines, Marines are expressly forbidden from wearing cammies off duty, and off post (except for a VERY short list of exceptions).  By civilians wearing MARPAT's in a manner that implies they are off duty Marines (like the OP wrote about), it may mistakenly give other civilians the wrong impression,  Civvies don't know the small details of the uniform to tell the guy apart from a poser, and think we're as nasty as other branches (Hell, they let Navy cats dress like juggalo's  off duty, I've seen it!).

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:34:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WFT is that all about???

RIGHT HERE

Thanks for the link. That guy needs some ole hickory shampoo to straighten his fat ass out.

I side with the OP on this. Obvious he was a poser including the dog tags.

I have no problem with folks wearing camo but that guy was taking it to the poser level as the OP had described. Heck, I wear an old pair of woodland BDUs when I cut the grass and being LE I sometimes have to wear plain OD green, plain black or plain tan when on duty or go to the range or where ever. I just can't bring myself to wearing camo in public. Just my personal thing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:49:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

EBR666

You have the right to do that, you also cant expect to get all butthurt when some Devil Dog pays attention to you to make sure you arent a Marine.

I wear them all the time in the spring and early fall hunting season. If some Jar-head wants to confront me, one did one time, I simply tell them I'm on my way to or from hunting. That was enough for the marine that asked me about the camo.

If the Jar-head starts to get all huffy I'd tell them to go see the store that sells the stuff. There's the problem. If the marines cared about us non-marines wearing the un-marked uniform for hunting they would "out-law" the sale if it.  They don't and I've never heard the head marine say he cared.

So the OP is all huffy about some guy wearing some camo MARPAT with no markings. He should go and stop the sale of the stuff.

My view is as long as whom ever is wearing military camo is not trying to pass themselves off as military then I have no issue. If on the other hand they are trying to pass themselves off as active/retired (as in a parade) military then I'll take issue.

EBR666

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:50:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:38:06 AM EDT
[#17]
As I type this I'm wearing Tiger Striped BDU Trousers. Guess I need to be sure to take them off before I make a beer run, or I might get Lifed by a Vietnam Era SF dude. Better take off the Vikings T-shirt too as I'm not a Viking nor do I play in the NFL. Oughta be good with the SA cap though right?

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:46:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Better not let your kids wear Batman underoos either. OP will rush to Arfcom, outraged that they're posing as caped crusaders!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:15:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So did he have patches etc on depicting himself as a Marine?

There wouldn't be any unit patches like in the Army. The Marine Corps hasn't worn patches since WWII IIRC. Only "U.S. Marines" on am embrodiered name tape over the left breast pocket, under that an embroidered eagle, globe and anchor. Above the right breast pocket would be his last name. Boots would be rough out suede combat boots, bloused at  the cuff of the boot. Cover (hat) would be the 8 point Marine Corps style with EGA embroidered on the center panel above the face. Rank insignia would be on collar. You shouldn't see dog tags since they would be worn under an OD green skivy t shirt.  

Marines are expressly forbidden from wearing "cammies" off post but there are some exceptionslike going to the bank, picking up prescriptions, baby formula and getting gas.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:36:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Marpat is ugly anyways, I'm sticking with the old woodland.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:53:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I knew jarheads were screwed on a little tight but this is full retard. The guy was wearing camouflage and you got sand in your vagina. What gets me is that you mention it was a mistake to leave your CCW in your car as if this situation warranted its use. Sure, it's always a mistake to leave it behind, but you don't mention any threatening actions from the guy.

Oh, and no blading. Your rant scores fail and AIDS on a scale of waste of my time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I recommend you keep your trap shut if you see civilians wearing camo in Louisiana, especially during hunting season.  You may find yourself counting how many teeth you pick up to see if you collected them all.  Civilians don't answer to military and some people don't like to be fucked with when they are minding their own business...just a word to the wise kiddo.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#24]
ive copped a lean on those walls and im positive you dont wanna go there
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:17:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Pretty sad...your attitude that is.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
wow, let's go gangbang that fucker, then ask him what the fuck was he thinking and pray to god he doesn't say he was on his way to go shoot some dove......

I for one will not partake in the gangbang.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I knew jarheads were screwed on a little tight but this is full retard. The guy was wearing camouflage and you got sand in your vagina. What gets me is that you mention it was a mistake to leave your CCW in your car as if this situation warranted its use. Sure, it's always a mistake to leave it behind, but you don't mention any threatening actions from the guy.

Oh, and no blading. Your rant scores fail and AIDS on a scale of waste of my time.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

navy corpsman. has to be. either that or chaplain.

With the twinkie holder, we can rule out chaplain.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#31]
At least fatboy wasn't wearing a pair of silkies.
Seriously, wearing knockoff camo does not necessarily mean he is trying to pass himself off as military. No patches, etc...
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:10:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Not caring what anyone says. If you or anyone looks like they are in the Mil, I will ask about it. If you are not / have not served, I will serve you. My opinion.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There wouldn't be any unit patches like in the Army. The Marine Corps hasn't worn patches since WWII IIRC. Only "U.S. Marines" on am embrodiered name tape over the left breast pocket, under that an embroidered eagle, globe and anchor. Above the right breast pocket would be his last name. Boots would be rough out suede combat boots, bloused at  the cuff of the boot. Cover (hat) would be the 8 point Marine Corps style with EGA embroidered on the center panel above the face. Rank insignia would be on collar. You shouldn't see dog tags since they would be worn under an OD green skivy t shirt.  

Marines are expressly forbidden from wearing "cammies" off post but there are some exceptionslike going to the bank, picking up prescriptions, baby formula and getting gas.

Nope, those are no go's too. Bunch of Colonels from 4th Marine Division even petitioned headquarters marine corps to see about getting an exemption for reservists traveling long distances and they were told never to bring it up again.

Didn't know this had changed. Sounds like Gen. Conway cracked down on this in 2007. I got out in 2003.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:21:36 PM EDT
[#34]
I guess the OP is working on his tank, so he can pretend to be Armor.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:35:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Meh. So was him saying he was a marine? Or just kind of dressed like one? I've got some ACU's, if I wear them, does that mean I'm trying to pass myself off as a .mil guy?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I guess the OP is working on his tank, so he can pretend to be Armor.

In a fire fight the op (if willingly) can be my armor any day!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:39:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Meh. So was him saying he was a marine? Or just kind of dressed like one? I've got some ACU's, if I wear them, does that mean I'm trying to pass myself off as a .mil guy?

If you wear them in a manner to make me (or any mil) examine each piece to determine actual service, than yes. This is just my opinion and I wear it on my sleeve.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#38]

fucker still gets my blood boiling.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#39]
I think what everyone is missing here is the description of what the OP saw.

"EGA marked boots (Bloused), green skivvy shirt with dog tags, a military haircut (grey hair) and tan mcmap belt

Highlighted in red, in edition to everything else described is as the OP stated "Boot's and Ute's", Utilities worn as on a work detail, PT, or in the barracks after work (with the exception dog tags would be tucked in). The parts in red are something only a Marine would know to do or have, or a civilian who went out of their way to learn the style.   The Dog tags hanging out are to me, there to add authenticity (although no real Marine would get caught dead wearing them like that).

The gentleman in question was mimicking the style in which Marines wear their uniform.  Something to get worked up about?  Who knows, I wasn't there.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:22:38 PM EDT
[#40]
I think that was the CEO of Cheaper Than Dirt.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, those are no go's too. Bunch of Colonels from 4th Marine Division even petitioned headquarters marine corps to see about getting an exemption for reservists traveling long distances and they were told never to bring it up again.

Didn't know this had changed. Sounds like Gen. Conway cracked down on this in 2007. I got out in 2003.

yep, ALMAR says if you are commuting in cammies, you are only allowed to exit the car in cases of emergency.

And no, before you ask, LCpl Schmukatelly, needing to pump gas is not an emergency.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You do know dove season started this month right?

I'm aware of that, and you are right. It IS dove season.

I could see the fake marpat. It's a superb camo.

I could see the boots, although I'd rather have a nice pair that are more comfortable...

I could see the belt. I use one at the range when open carrying a pistol.

Each by itself amounts to nothing. All together amounts to something.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You do know dove season started this month right?

I'm aware of that, and you are right. It IS dove season.

I could see the fake marpat. It's a superb camo.

I could see the boots, although I'd rather have a nice pair that are more comfortable...

I could see the belt. I use one at the range when open carrying a pistol.

Each by itself amounts to nothing. All together amounts to something.

yeah, much better camoflage than a brown t-shirt and blue jeans.......
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

"EGA marked boots (Bloused), green skivvy shirt with dog tags, a military haircut (grey hair) and tan mcmap belt

Highlighted in red, in edition to everything else described is as the OP stated "Boot's and Ute's", Utilities worn as on a work detail, PT, or in the barracks after work (with the exception dog tags would be tucked in). The parts in red are something only a Marine would know to do or have, or a civilian who went out of their way to learn the style.   The Dog tags hanging out are to me, there to add authenticity (although no real Marine would get caught dead wearing them like that).

The gentleman in question was mimicking the style in which Marines wear their uniform.  Something to get worked up about?  Who knows, I wasn't there.

Unfortunately, Nasty Marines exist ie, getting dh, othd, etc.... see my above post. Something to get worked about, No. But will I tell him something, yes.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, Nasty Marines exist ie, getting dh, othd, etc.... see my above post. Something to get worked about, No. But will I tell him something, yes.

That's true, and I've seen it before my self. BUT in the OP's post, the digi's the guy was wearing were not real ones.   Wrong color, no EGA's, no name tapes and such.  Since the OP's in the Marines, I'm going to guess he knows legit stuff when he see's it!

When I was in the Corps, you wouldn't get caught DEAD in town in boots and Utes!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:09:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:22:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Based on what the OP stated (No EGA, name tags, etc.), it doesn't sound like the guy was wearing a uniform at all.

So, what's the problem?

IMO, any US citizen should be able to wear modern camo, as long as it doesn't look like a uniform. Our taxes paid for it to begin with, by the way.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:05:38 AM EDT
[#48]
I saw some navy guys in board shorts, tank tops and sandals over the weekend.

Fucking posers who the fuck are they to wear OUR civilian clothing...i was about to go grab the 115lb 19yr up by his scurvy little neck..and in my best angry civilian tone ask him " WTF is he doing in normal clothing...",,but figured i should leave him alone and let  him enjoy his day off.............

how do you know they guy aint retired  usmc?

I know retired-(insert service) that are older, outta shape, wear bdu's/(insert acu,marpat,etc) partial or complete...whats that old saying...dont judge a book

now you find  some fat little 18 yr old over there talking about who he took down 20 hajis with his m4 without relaoding  while in the Astan with the 2nd marines 4 years ago..............shake his shit down by all means

now go pull your ega marpat painties outta yer butt
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:30:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top