User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Give me a break, just because you didn't vote for them doesn't mean you don't have to obey the law.
View Quote

Mostly correct, but then there's, or used to be, jury nullification.

Edited to add a simple definition of j.n.: "The law is bullshit, let him go!"
View Quote

And last I checked jury nullification is illegal and grounds for disbarrment for the lawyer who argues it.
View Quote

References, please? About jury nullification of a charge because the law it is charged under is not Constitutional? OR do you think only the Supreme Court can think for me?

Scott

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And last I checked jury nullification is illegal and grounds for disbarrment for the lawyer who argues it.
View Quote

Whoever told you this lied to you.
J/N was designed as ultimate check against unjust laws.
Read on:
[url]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22jury+nullification%22[/url]
View Quote

Thanks, followed the link you provided... third or fourth site down I found this:

[b] "It is the duty of the court to instruct the jury as to the law, and it is the duty of the jury to follow the law, as it is laid down by the court.  Sparf v. United States, 15 S.Ct. 273, 282 (1895).  [/b] The correct principle of law, as I shall demonstrate, is given in the dissenting opinion of this case, starting on page 296.  This dissent is the one frequently quoted by FIJA, the Fully Informed Jury Association, Post Office Box 59, Helmville, Montana  59843.

That dissent holds that, "The judge, by instructing the jury that they were bound to accept the law as given to them by the court, denied their right to decide the law."  Sparf at 297 (dissent).

Dissents are not followed as "law" by succeeding courts, they are merely disagreements with the holding of the majority."

[b] So you are arguing your point of view from the dissenting decision, not the majority decision? [/b]
View Quote

Try again. Just because a judge doesn't have to inform a jury of their right to nullify an unjust law, does not take that right away from the jury.....

Scott

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks, followed the link you provided... third or fourth site down I found this:
View Quote

Very well, now read all the information posted at the remaining 12,099 websites ;)
View Quote

I don't [b] NEED [/b] to read the other 12,099 websites, I cited the applicable Constitutional case law, the only binding opinion.
View Quote

I found the [b]ONE[/b] that will put a rusty nail into the wobbly leg of my shaky stand for a bit, so.....

Scott

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Hiram, you're a really smart guy and all, but I think that your faith in the legal system might be misplaced.  Keep in mind that our Constitution does not limit what we can own, yet the courts have found it legal to limit what we own, even going so far as to find that our founding fathers did not allow for private ownership. (Yeah right, like the gov needed to spell out a right for the states! [rolleyes])

Anyway, considering my rights aren't infringed upon to the degree that people in CT, MD, NJ or KA are, I don't have much of an issue here.  HOWEVER, if banned tomorrow, who here would willingly hand in our guns?

I think your the Emerson comclusion was ILLEGAL and has NOTHING to do with reasonable regulations since ANYONE can get a restraining order and fuck up the life of any good law abiding man.  The system is not there for us, its there to prosecute us and limit the amount of guns on the streets.  

I think the road you're going down is exactly the way the libs want you to think.  You're allowing "slight" infringements based on their rational relation basis, which in fact have NO rational relation to preventing gun violence.

Hiram, I also think you're WAAAAAY off base if for a second you believe that NYS's licensing scheme is legitimate.  There is no reason for them not allowing concealed carry or even requiring a process that takes up to 6 months with maximum intrusion on one's personal life.  I'd prefer to get a gun from a cousin in NC to defend my family here than to wait 6 months for this buffoon's process. (IF I HAD TO.)  I also think that its ridiculous that you can go from one part of NY (Nassau, Suffolk + upstate) into city limits and you just became a defacto felon for possessing an AR15 with a couple hicaps.  Laws like that are ASSININE.  IMO they are illegitimate and illegal.  Why should I be limited in carrying a side arm in Manhattan, where I'm more likely to be put in harm's way?  Why should I give up my right to self defense just because I took a 30 minute ride on the LIRR?  

Now I pose this question to you... if NYS banned AR15's, M1A's, SAR's, Ruger 10/22's and other semi's tomorrow, WOULD YOU GET RID OF YOUR RIFLES?
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You forget, I am not the one screaming that all gun control is unconstitutional.  I believe that the state has the right to regulate even our most sacred rights to an extent.  I don't believe that requiring a pistol permit is in and of itself unconstitutional.  I believe that a process which unfairly administers such a system to be perhaps unconstitutional.
View Quote

Are you a closet Democrap? What part of "...shall not be infringed" do [b]YOU[/b] not understand?

Scott

View Quote

What part of the SCOTUS rulings that no right is absolute do you not understand?  I am not a closet democrat.  I happen to be an extremely conservative Republican who has taken the time to actually read the great works that our founding fathers embraced, has given critical thought to the issue and can see how reasonable regulation is not necessarily an infringement.

Come to me with more than soundbites and lets examine this issue with a little more than cursory expedience.
View Quote

Come to me with more than a non-answer.....

Scott

EDIT: Typo
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:29:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:33:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
...can see how [red]reasonable regulation[/red] is not necessarily an infringement.
View Quote

There is no such thing as "reasonable regulation" of an [b]UNINFRINGABLE[/b] right. You hang around DU too much or something? "Reasonable regulation" "reasonable regulation". How do you think [b]22,000+[/b] unConstitutional laws are "reasonable"?

Scott

P.S. I'm through with this crap. Last I saw of Hiram, he was a respected member of this forum. Now he acts like Kaoma's father or something.....

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:35:23 PM EDT
[#11]
We'll follow your lead. Honest, we will![/quote]

That's what Dan Shoemaker's "men" told him. He went to jail by himself.
AB
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:37:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
By the way, in case you were wondering what I'm up to, look up the words gadfly...
View Quote

Gad, prefix, means to goad.
Gad-fly according to Websters new world dictionary 1956, means either 1) large fly such as horsefly, or 2) One who annoys or irritates others.

which are you?

Board rules, prohibited conduct;
6) Pure trolling. Either to piss someone off or simply for your personal enjoyment.
If you become a distraction or disrupt the sites day to day activities, you will be removed.
View Quote

Again, which are you???

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:46:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:48:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

if my toys are banned I will move to where they are not... I believe that was what I posted earlier... you have three choices - obey the laws, disobey and risk the consequences or [b] MOVE [/b].
View Quote

A perfect illustration as to why we will one day loose every right.  "If I dont like it I will run away!!!!!"

And btw- to answer you question about Marbury v Madison, and to why you dont have to follow unConstitutional laws, it is easy, it is illegal for an agency of the government to enforce an unconstitutional law or decision.

And the SCOTUS has said that you can resist the use of force to enforce an illegal act (be it law or executive order or what not) by the use of force up to and including the killing of the officers attempting to enforce said illegal act.

Granted I would be VERY careful about deciding something was unConstitutional before the SCOTUS has ruled, but the precedent is there, it just takes somebody with the balls and money to force the issue.  Too bad that will not be you.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#18]
HR,

My apologies. I missed your gadfly comment until someone else highlighted it in a response. Y'all know I never lose my temper usually. (Hopes no one remembers last night.....) Was this psrt of your desire to goad us?

[url]http://www.canoe.ca/EdmontonNews/es.es-12-29-0010.html[/url]

[url]http://www.canoe.ca/WinnipegNews/ws.ws-12-29-0007.html[/url]

Scott

P.S. Sorry again. However, I still believe that just because the Supreme Court says a judge has no obligation to fully inform a jury, that jury still can act accordingly.....

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have little faith in the abilities of the courts of today to apply the Constitution.

The United States Constitution is a joke and no long applies to many subjects in this former republic.

I have but one life to give and have carefully selected the hill I'm willing to die for. It matters not if you or anyone else knows of that hill nor of my death.

Fighting city hall is one thing and taking on the current police force from the roof tops is another.

The time will come soon enough, few are in a hurry to bring the death of this nation once ruled by laws to a start.
View Quote

Holy crap.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And the SCOTUS has said that you can resist the use of force to enforce an illegal act (be it law or executive order or what not) by the use of force up to and including the killing of the officers attempting to enforce said illegal act.

Granted I would be VERY careful about deciding something was unConstitutional before the SCOTUS has ruled, but the precedent is there, it just takes somebody with the balls and money to force the issue.  Too bad that will not be you.
View Quote

You've just argued my point, you are not obligated to follow unconstitutional laws, but only SCOTUS may say with final authority what is and is not.  You may oppose the laws by violating them and face possible prosecution in an effort to bring the issue before SCOTUSm ultimately to have it argued and ruled upon.  That was what this thread was about.  Read back and everyone said it wasn't worth it, that you could not prevail and the consequences would be devastating.  I guess everyone who does not oppose the "unconstitutional" laws by violating them is ball-less, or maybe they are all just broke?
View Quote

Yes to a point we agree, I will go on to say I feel it is more everyones DUTY to resist EVERY unConstitutional act.

And I will disagree with one other point:

The SCOTUS is NOT the final arbitrator.

The answer to that is the first seven words of the Constitution:

[b]We The People of the United States...[/b]

If it becomes necessary "We the People" can always replace the entire damn thing.  No it would not be pleasant thing to do, but neither was the Revolution.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:20:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Isn't there something in the Constitution about the three branches of government checking and balancing each other? To keep one branch from having "the ultimate say"?

Scott

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:36:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You know what, it just occured to me why the gungrabber hate the NRA so much.  It isn't just their political muscle.
It's that they transformed, in the space of a few years, a nation of crotch grabbing unwashed trigger happy rednecks into a nation of crotch grabbing unwashed trigger happy rednecks with some civic sensibilities.  Almost singlehandedly the NRA educated American gunowners about all the things that were previously the sole domain of the overeducated liberals.
An educated enemy is the greatest fear of the liberals.  The liberals want to meet gunowners who will curse, threaten and act like maniacs when challenged.  The liberals dread meeting gunowners who can discuss legal precedent, what the FFs really intended, and demographics of a criminal population.
With all the complaining about the NRA, I would hazard a guess that no other organization has ever given an interest group so much solid information to combat a political threat, and quickly and efficiently disseminated it.  Can you think of any better reason to join?
View Quote

Horseshit!! The nra educate on the 2nd Amendment?? I have yet to see a statement from nra that the 2nd is about the peoples right to defend themselves from tyrannical govt. They avoid it like the plague!
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:18:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Since my GF is making me spend quality time with her [rolleyes], I'm only able to check this inbetween her bathroom or food breaks.

As far as MOVING to another state...well, how the hell is a BAR passed attorney able to tear up his roots and BAR admital and go to another state to start over?  

Its not feasible, which is why silent and illegal dissent will follow such an illegal decision by the state or fed gov.  If an all out ban does take place or federal licensing does take place, you won't have to worry about the laws as recent men have created them, because the masses will not stand for it.  When the government loses trust in the people, the people should lose ALL trust in the gov.  Read into that as you may, just realize that moving isn't an option for many people and especially not myself.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Most states (not NY, Cal, or Florida) let you waive into their bar after 4, 5 or 6 years in another state bar.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:04:12 PM EDT
[#32]
"Most states" require a bunch of years experience first (not always as simple as 5 or 6), however the main problem lies in clients.  If I have a $500k/year client revenue for my firm and I'm on a partnership track, how could I throw that away for another state where my future is unknown?

Running is not a solution, its just begging the problem to follow you.  Some people can pick up and go, but considering my family, GF (future wife) and dog, how can I make a rational choice to go over gun laws, when I can defy them and take a stand here?  

Now considering my lack of ability to turn tail and run, how willing is everyone else to pack their property, family and dog into the UHaul and move to a gun friendly state?  How long will you be able to run from the next liberal cocksucker president who bans all AW's outright?  

Will you then rely on a corrupt supreme court to defy our constitution once again?  The power lies in the people, I hope noone ever forgets that.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 8:49:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 9:01:53 PM EDT
[#34]
My idea of civil disobedience would be to take 5-10 hits of LSD, load up the AK, and stand naked in front of the local cop shop shouting "THE REVOLUTION STARTS HERE, COPPERS!!!!"  Whew! Can you imagine the rush?[:D]
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My idea of civil disobedience would be to take 5-10 hits of LSD, load up the AK, and stand naked in front of the local cop shop shouting "THE REVOLUTION STARTS HERE, COPPERS!!!!"  Whew! Can you imagine the rush?[:D]
View Quote

Come up with something original! Bill Cooper already did that ;)
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Come up with something original! Bill Cooper already did that ;)
View Quote

Whodis Bill Cooper who stole my stunt already?
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:06:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
There is no way for us to fight gun laws thru civil disobedience without facing prison terms and felony convictions. On top of that, purposely tring to get arrested for gun law violations isn't gonna get any positive attention for our cause.

All it is gonna do is ruin your own life. In fact it will hurt our cause because it will be negitively portrayed in the media.
View Quote

You're going about it the wrong way, folks. We should take a page from the JBT's book on jack-booted thugginess: numbers. Stop thinking about doing it individually where it's not going to make a difference; do it [b]together[/b], in significant numbers. Stuff like walking down the street with loaded, uncased, AR15s. Depending on where you live that could be hundreds or thousands of people. That will send quite a powerful message and you won't get arrested for it (like a few dozen cops armed with pistols would try to arrest hundreds of people armed with AR15s).

Numbers, folks. It's all about numbers. Numbers freed us from British oppression, numbers freed the blacks from oppression numbers will free us from anti-constitutional gun laws.

We need to get ORGANIZED! Gun owners are *not* organized - we pay groups like the NRA to organize on your behalf who then compromise on (y)our behalf. If we were half as organized as the anti-gun liberals we could wipe the gun laws off the books even in California. There would be no need for an armed struggle. So we gonna do it, or what?
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Cross post from GlockTalk:

[url]http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=123979&perpage=25&pagenumber=1[/url]

Scott

Link Posted: 12/29/2002 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
IIRC SCOTUS ruled in Emerson that the domestic violence provisions of the 94 Anti-Crime bill were reasonable and precluded someone under a restraining order from purchasing or possessing a firearm.  Yup, I think its bullshit, but it is the law of the land and was found to be constitutional.
View Quote

You have your facts incorrect. SCOTUS didn't rule on Emerson, a federal appeals court did. SCOTUS refused to hear the case; they neither overturned nor affirmed it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 6:41:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 7:46:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If that is the case than I stand corrected and thank you.  I thought they took the case up and affirmed the decision.  In either event, their refusal to hear the case would be a tacit approval of the lower court's ruling since it allows the ruling to stand.  In this case no action = action.
View Quote
Um, no.  No action equals no action.  At the same time they denied certiorari on [i]Emerson[/i], they also denied cert on [i]Haney v. U.S.[/i] - a real "civil disobedience" case in which Mr. John Lee Haney decided to test whether the Second Amendment to the Constitution guarantees an individual right to possess a machinegun.

From an [i]amicus[/i] brief:
On August 25, 1999, petitioner appeared at a police station and [red]informed the officer on duty that he owned semiautomatic and fully automatic firearms.[/red] Petitioner stated that the firearms were not licensed and that [red]the federal government lacked authority to require him to obtain a license.[/red] Law enforcement officials subsequently found two fully automatic weapons in petitioner’s car and house, along with literature describing how to convert a semiautomatic firearm to an automatic weapon. Petitioner admitted possession of the guns.

Petitioner was indicted for possessing two machineguns, in violation of 18 U.S.C. 922(o). Pet. App. 3. Section 922(o)provides, with exceptions not applicable here, that “it shall be unlawful for any person to transfer or possess a machinegun.” 18 U.S.C. 922(o)(1). A person who “knowingly violates” Section 922(o) is subject to a term of imprisonment of not more than ten years. 18 U.S.C. 924(a)(2). [red]After a jury trial, petitioner was found guilty and was sentenced to 33 months’ imprisonment.[/red]

The court of appeals affirmed.
View Quote
The Supreme Court decided not to hear.  So, [i]Emerson[/i] says we have an individual right to arms, but [i]Haney[/i] says we don't have an individual unrestricted right to automatic weapons.

And SCOTUS remains silent.

Civil disobedience is useful only if one of two conditions exist:

1)  A sufficiently large number of people are [i]involved[/i] in open civil disobedience, and/or:

2)  The behavior of the disobedient is supported by a significant portion of the society, or by a group external to the society that can bring pressure to bear on that society.

In India, Gandhi had the international press on his side, and they brought the pressure of the international community to bear.  The British public considered the Indians "wogs in rebellion."  In the 1960's, Martin Luther King had both the press and a significant percentage of the population sympathetic to the Civil Rights movement.  In the Soviet Union, and in China, and in Cambodia, and elsewhere - nobody outside heard about it and nobody outside cared.

We've had fifty years of demonization of guns and gun owners.  Gun owners are a [i]minority[/i] in this country.  We're the new Jews and Blacks.  We're the victims of a decades-long slow motion hate crime.  It's OK to pick on us.  We're rednecked single-toothed inbreds with two-digit IQ's who swill beer and shoot up street signs.  We're old men who shoot horses with 12 year-old riders thinking that they're deer.  We're angry white males who walk into a University and shoot professors.  We're mad dogs who shoot at random strangers from the trunks of cars.  We're wife-abusers who kill to keep our women from escaping our power.  

The press is NOT on our side.  The majority of the population leans more against us than for us.  

Active, in-your-face civil disobedience will NOT garner popular support.  Disobeying laws WE believe are unconstitutional will get us what it got John Lee Haney:  a prison sentence.  Or, if the BATF gets there first, dead.

In the not too distant future, the Supreme Court is going to [i]have[/i] to take up the issue of the meaning of the Second Amendment.  If the Court is in the majority conservative and constructionist, then I hold some hope that it will find that it protects an individual right, and that the 14th Amendment prohibits the States from infringing on that right (though they must grant cert on a case involving [i]state[/i] law in order to do so, and the lawyers must bring up the 14th Amendment themselves - the Court will not do so of its own.)  

I hold [i][b]NO[/i][/b] hope that they will overturn all gun control laws, because I understand that the 5th Circuit Court was right:  There are no [i]absolute[/i] rights.  A law sufficiently narrow and sufficiently necessary [i]can be[/i] constitutional.  The problem is the "slippery slope" and how far down it we have progressed.  I believe we've slid much too far.  Many believe we haven't crossed the edge of the slope yet.  Many more think "Slope?  What slope?  I don't see no slope."

As Doublefeed pointed out, the NRA has done yeoman's service [i]educating[/i] gun owners as to the history of the right to arms.  An [i]educated[/i] electorate has been essential in preventing our right from being stripped from us completely in the name of "public safety."  

But if the Supreme Court decides that in the name of "public safety" the right to arms is [i]not[/i] an individual one, and that the states are free to ban anything they like, then in my mind the covenant between government and the People will have been broken.  I will continue to live my life as I have with one exception:  When they come for mine, I intend to take some of them with me.  Perhaps the cost of confiscation will cause the government to rethink just how much it wants to disarm The People.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 8:16:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Whodis Bill Cooper who stole my stunt already?
View Quote

[url]http://www.williamcooper.com/[/url]

Deputy Injured and Suspect Killed in Shoot-Out
11-06-2001

An Apache County sheriff's deputy was shot in the head and is in guarded condition. It happened during a shoot-out with a man with militia ties. That man, William Cooper, was shot and killed.

It happened late Monday night in the small town of Eagar, Arizona ... 230 miles northeast of Phoenix.

Deputies were serving William Cooper an arrest warrant for assaulting one of his neighbors. The federal government also wanted him for tax evasion.

Cooper had warned officers and federal agents that if they ever came for him, he would not go down without a gun battle.

On his website, Bill Cooper claimed the federal government has targeted his family. He said the nazi Gestapo had threatened him. He believed in UFO’s and he didn't believe in paying taxes.

Cooper wrote if authorities ever tried to arrest him, they would be met with armed resistance.

He ran a small radio show called An Hour of the Time - out of Eagar, Arizona. The focus was predominantly anti-government. Cooper was well known in militia circles.

Timothy McVeigh was a fan of Cooper's, he even reportedly tried to recruit cooper to help him at one point before the Oklahoma City bombing.

But early Tuesday morning - deputies had a warrant - but as promised, Cooper wasn't going quietly. Cooper was shot and killed.
Apache County Deputy Rob Marinez took two bullets to the head. He's expected to survive.

The deputy used to live in Mesa and friends there say he's the sort of cop you want to have around if things get tough.

Deputy Marinez is married and has three children.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 9:20:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I don't believe that requiring a pistol permit is in and of itself unconstitutional.
View Quote

So do you support all registration of firearms? Do you believe that registration leads to confiscation? Why do I need a permit or registration to exercise my RIGHT?
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Slippery slope people....slippery slope.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 9:44:26 AM EDT
[#45]
I obey the law when it is convenient.  As far as  the stinking pile of crap in Washington is concerned, they are an occupying force, not a Constitutional government.  No, Hell No!  I don't believe in Republicans or Democrats or the people that own them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
But if the Supreme Court decides that in the name of "public safety" the right to arms is [i]not[/i] an individual one, and that the states are free to ban anything they like, then [red]in my mind the covenant between government and the People will have been broken.[/red]  I will continue to live my life as I have with one exception:  When they come for mine, I intend to take some of them with me.  Perhaps the cost of confiscation will cause the government to rethink just how much it wants to disarm The People.  
View Quote

Kbaker, that whole post was right on the money, but the last part tells me I'd be proud to call you "Brother"...
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So do you support all registration of firearms? Do you believe that registration leads to confiscation? Why do I need a permit or registration to exercise my RIGHT?
View Quote
I do not support registration.  I do not believe that registration [b]leads[/b] to confiscation, but it [i]enables[/i] it.  (There are several examples of countries with strict registration requirements that have not confiscated (yet), Finland being a good one.)  Why should you need a permit ot exercise your right?  In the best of all worlds, you shouldn't.  Unfortunately, we don't live in the best of all worlds.

Let's look at the much-maligned 1934 NFA requirements for owning a full-auto weapon:  You must be fingerprinted, you must submit to an FBI background check, you must receive approval from a local head of law enforcement, you must pay a $200 "transfer tax" (which was HUGE in 1934) and you must be able to afford the weapon in question.  Should you commit a felony offense of any kind, you must divest yourself of your registered full-auto weapon(s).

Our side says "Since the 1934 NFA only ONE (1) legally owned full-auto weapon has been used in a crime!  By a POLICE OFFICER!  The law is USELESS!"

Their side says:  "See, registration WORKS!"

Both sides have some validity to their arguments.  

The outcome of the NFA as it relates to full-auto weapons is that it [i]severely restricted[/i] the [b]market[/b] for such weapons - it made [i]legal[/i] ownership of them so onerous that few people would bother with them, so the market for manufacturers was drastically restricted.  Also, it was passed [b]before[/b] a significant number of full-auto weapons were in general circulation (between the World Wars, when personal full-auto guns were comparatively rare.)

Prior to passage of the '34 NFA, criminal use of full-auto weapons was not insignificant.  After repeal of Prohibition, however, such useage dropped off dramatically.  After passage of the NFA, the use of full-auto weapons in crime has become quite rare, and essentially all such crime (at least such crime not perpetrated by government employees) has been committed with unregistered or illegally converted weapons.  Had the NFA not been passed, it can be argued that there would be a much larger number of full-auto weapons in general circulation, and that (due to availability) they would be used in crime much more often.  

Maybe, maybe not.  Can't be proven either way.  We say the NFA is useless, they say it worked.

My problem with registration is that it [i][b]is[/b][/i] useless as a crime control measure in and of itself.  Knowing who owns what doesn't do jack squat to [i]prevent[/i] crime.  Further, registration can only be implemented [i]before[/i] a large quantity of arms are already in circulation, and it [i]requires[/i] [u]willful cooperation[/u] from the populace.  (See Canada for what happens when you don't meet those two requirements.)  What registration gets used for (and this is a wider problem than [i]confiscation[/i]) is [i]restriction of access[/i].  

This is what happened in England [i]first[/i].  Relatively innocuous licensing and registration laws that started out as "revenue-gathering measures" (which is what the '34 NFA was touted to be, though we all know different) progressively made ownership more onerous, so fewer people bothered to own firearms.  Eventually, so few were interested that it was a simple matter to convince the public that there was no legitimate need for firearms and confiscation could take place.

Here we have a right to arms recognized and protected by the Second Amendment.  Except for the last 50 years the opposition has been trying with various levels of success to [i]redefine[/i] just what the Second Amendment protects.  In essence, to render it moot on the topic of an [i]individual[/i] right to arms.

The courts of this country have been arguing almost since the passage of the Bill of Rights over whether felons can be disarmed, and over whether carrying [i]concealed[/i] weapons can be prohibited.  This indicates to most people that the right to arms is [b]not[/b] an [i]absolute[/i] right.

And we're back to the slippery slope.  Here registration is being touted as a [i]crime control[/i] measure, though we all know that it's useless for this unless the [i]actual[/i] purpose is to [b]reduce the number of guns in circulation[/b].  (We've all heard the anti-gun cry of "there's too many guns!")  And as we've seen in England, the only reduction it accomplishes is the number of guns in the hands of the [i]law-abiding[/i].  "When guns are outlawed..."

Ideally, a concealed-carry permit will help to ensure that those who carry a firearm for self-defense have at least an aquaintance with the associated law, have at least a passing familiarity with weapons.  In reality, the only thing a concealed-carry permit does is help the unarmed in a society feel a little better about armed citizens in their midst.  So long as concealed-carry permits are "shall-issue" and the requirements to acquire are not onerous, I don't oppose them, even though I recongize them as a step down the slope (though in many cases they have been a step back [b]UP[/b] the slope from the previous laws.)

However, I am adamantly opposed to regulations requiring government permission simply to [i]own[/i] a firearm, and I refuse to live anywhere that such requirements exist.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#48]
This isn't going to be a scholarly text, just had an idea that might be full of crappolla. Don't get all bent if you don't like it just say that's stupid.

A lot of people think drugs should be legalized, ignore the laws, and still go to jail. If the government wants the laws to stay; it won't matter how many people break the law. They'll just build more prisons.

They'll just have to work harder to marginalize gun ownership and demonize gun owners.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Many of the gun grabbers have CCW's and firearms collections. You can bet that they will exempt themselves from any law that bans gun ownership.

Anti-gun laws are a power grab. Give up your weapons and you go from being a citizen to being a subject.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This isn't going to be a scholarly text, just had an idea that might be full of crappolla. Don't get all bent if you don't like it just say that's stupid.

A lot of people think drugs should be legalized, ignore the laws, and still go to jail. If the government wants the laws to stay; it won't matter how many people break the law. They'll just build more prisons.

They'll just have to work harder to marginalize gun ownership and demonize gun owners.
View Quote

The vested interests actively WANT to maximize the number of people being handled by the Criminal Justice System.  It's about paychecks and power.  Ever think how many people profit from creating criminals?

There's aa impetus to create criminals where none existed before.  And as you say, the System wants more criminals.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top