Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:23:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Just got a letter in the mail..my tree has branches,,that hang to far
down...?...please trim.guess it's makes all the foreclose homes look
more attractive
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:25:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sometimes Almost invariably these HOA are nothing but a petty dictatorship, but blowing up anyone's property is over the top unlawful but probably richly deserved.

FIFY
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, Somalia and Djibouti suck. Oh wait, wrong HOA
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:27:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sometimes these HOA are nothing but a petty dictatorship, but blowing up anyone's property is over the top.  It's called terrorism in my book.

Bilster

Maybe, but even so, it would be funny terrorism.

Perhaps you'd feel differently if that little surprise greeted you when you collected your mail.

That is if you were able to feel, see, or hear anything again.

Or maybe when a kid was riding by on his bike or YOUR wife, girlfriend, mother or father were driving by and had a brick launched through their passenger-side window.

Yeah, that'd be a laugh-riot, wouldn't it?

THINK.

We can play the what-if game all day but since none of that happened I think it's funny.

But, but what if a bald eagle holding a baby seal was on that mailbox. And what if there was an original picasso painting inside the mailbox. It wouldn't be be very funny then would it funny guy?

Fucking lulz!

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:30:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sometimes these HOA are nothing but a petty dictatorship, but blowing up anyone's property is over the top.  It's called terrorism in my book.

Bilster

It's called a felony around here. If the person is caught they will do time in a federal pen.

Not likely. They'll probably do probation through the local state court. Federal prosecutors have better things to do than prosecute mailbox bomb pranksters.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:34:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bilster

Maybe, but even so, it would be funny terrorism.

Perhaps you'd feel differently if that little surprise greeted you when you collected your mail.

That is if you were able to feel, see, or hear anything again.

Or maybe when a kid was riding by on his bike or YOUR wife, girlfriend, mother or father were driving by and had a brick launched through their passenger-side window.

Yeah, that'd be a laugh-riot, wouldn't it?

THINK.

People (usually teenagers) have been blowing up mailboxes for probably close to 100 years, and amazingly enough they usually succeed in timing it such that these things don't happen.

Yes, it's illegal. Guess what - so is beating up a bully who deserves it. Sometimes it's OK to look the other way and smile at the bully getting a black eye.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:41:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:42:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Whoever did that better hide their dog very well....they'll be getting a visit from the BATF.....and the USPS Postal Inspectors!!!  

BTDT.

And they didn't do shit.

Easy way to fuck up a mailbox is with dry ice, water, and some 1-3L soda bottles.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#10]
He better think long and hard about sending out any letters about owner's houses or parked vehicles being out of compliance.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:44:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Everyone with a non-brick mailbox better hide the dog.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#12]
So let me get this straight.
The HOA asshole wanted people to spend hundreds of dollars building a brick mailbox so they could be in compliance.
Hell if this was 1960 the fucker would have gotten his ass kicked. And in reality the Fucker should get his ass kicked.
For those who say blowing his mailbox up is over the top and bullshit I say no.
Sometimes you have resort to extremes to prove a point. The guy is a micro managing asshole plain and simple and stuff like this serves as a reminder that
fucking with people over petty bullshit should have consequences. He's lucky someone didn't burn his house down.
Mabe if he starts recieving dozens of letters saying "how do ya like them apples you controlling fuck" he might get the message.
He got what was coming to him. These types of fucks are far to previlant in today's society and are not fit in my opinion to live amongst us.

And to those of you who say just dont live in a HOA?, Good luck finding a new home that is not in an HOA these days!

To realize just how far down the rabbit hole we've gone, 20 plus years ago the incident would have soley been investigated by the local PD.
Now I'll bet due to explosives the ATF will get involved and whoever did the deed might serve time in a federal pen.
The laws favor these types of  assholes and help enable them to expand thier control over the peasants whom they dubiously govern over.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#13]

someone needs to send him a letter about how his mailbox no longer meets the criteria and vision of the neighborhood so he better fix is ASAP.

J-
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#14]
my guess is this was a false flag operation to further solidify the HOA's authority.

HOA will declare a state of emergency and suspend elections to handle the crisis. Further deed restrictions must be enacted and enforced.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 9:49:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So let me get this straight.
The HOA asshole wanted people to spend hundreds of dollars building a brick mailbox so they could be in compliance.
Hell if this was 1960 the fucker would have gotten his ass kicked. And in reality the Fucker should get his ass kicked.
For those who say blowing his mailbox up is over the top and bullshit I say no.
Sometimes you have resort to extremes to prove a point. The guy is a micro managing asshole plain and simple and stuff like this serves as a reminder that
fucking with people over petty bullshit should have consequences. He's lucky someone didn't burn his house down.
Mabe if he starts recieving dozens of letters saying "how do ya like them apples you controlling fuck" he might get the message.
He got what was coming to him. These types of fucks are far to previlant in today's society and are not fit in my opinion to live amongst us.

And to those of you who say just dont live in a HOA?, Good luck finding a new home that is not in an HOA these days!

To realize just how far down the rabbit hole we've gone, 20 plus years ago the incident would have soley been investigated by the local PD.
Now I'll bet due to explosives the ATF will get involved and whoever did the deed might serve time in a federal pen.
The laws favor these types of  assholes and help enable them to expand thier control over the peasants whom they dubiously govern over.

Some HOA big shots ARE petty dictators and ought to be taken to task.

It's one thing to leave a junk car on your lawn and another to let a friend park his junky old pickup in the driveway for a couple hours while he pays a visit.

WHile I would cheerfuly remove the junk car from the lawn, the latter situation would probably find me up at 0300 with a cherry bomb in one hand and a lighted cigarette in the other.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#16]
My parents have a waterfront cabin that's in an HOA.

They pay dues.  The dues go to maintenance of the community well and driveway.  I don't remember what they pay but it's not much, because you don't need many thousands of dollars to replace a well pump or buy a load of stone for the driveway.

Pretty much every house there is constructed differently.  Painted differently.  Roofed differently.  Built at different times.  Added on to, etc.  Nobody fucking cares.  The oldest house was probably built in the 40s, with wood siding.  My parent's cabin has cedar shakes.  The newest home there is a log cabin style.

Since it's their second home, sometimes the grass goes a few weeks without getting cut.  During a drought, it turns brown.  No nasty letters have ever been sent.

I think they've had one or two meetings in the 20+ years they've owned the place.

And you know what?  If HOAs were like this, NOBODY WOULD FUCKING COMPLAIN.  I don't think too many people give a fuck about paying a little money for the upkeep of the roads, or for a community club house/pool/whatever.  It's this PETTY BULLSHIT that kills everyone.  Empowering busybodies with nothing else better to do to be able to play hall monitor/petty bullshit police  or playing one big game of "keeping up with the Joneses under penalty of civil action"

It's fucking DUMB.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bilster

It's called a felony around here. If the person is caught they will do time in a federal pen.

Not likely. They'll probably do probation through the local state court. Federal prosecutors have better things to do than prosecute mailbox bomb pranksters.

I had a friend from high school do three years in a federal pen for blowing up a mailbox on a private residence. They caught her nearly four years after the fact. It is very likely and the postal police will take it very seriously.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wonder what was used to cause that kind of damage?

Back in the day a cherry bomb was powerful enough to do the deed.

Of course in this day and age it will be described as high explosives of some sort.

The old M80's were enough to do the deed as well
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bilster

I had a friend from high school do three years in a federal pen for blowing up a mailbox on a private residence. They caught her nearly four years after the fact. It is very likely and the postal police will take it very seriously.

Naturally your anecdotal experience with what is likely limited knowledge is indicative of what normally happens when someone blows up a mailbox. Must be a light caseload for the AUSAs in that area.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
My parents have a waterfront cabin that's in an HOA.

They pay dues.  The dues go to maintenance of the community well and driveway.  I don't remember what they pay but it's not much, because you don't need many thousands of dollars to replace a well pump or buy a load of stone for the driveway.

Sounds closer to a maintenance agreement than a HOA. Those are common for more rural or "cabin in the woods" type areas where everyone has easements to use the private road that goes across some lots, and everyone pitches in to maintain it.

And you know what?  If HOAs were like this, NOBODY WOULD FUCKING COMPLAIN.  I don't think too many people give a fuck about paying a little money for the upkeep of the roads, or for a community club house/pool/whatever.  It's this PETTY BULLSHIT that kills everyone.  Empowering busybodies with nothing else better to do to be able to play hall monitor/petty bullshit police  or playing one big game of "keeping up with the Joneses under penalty of civil action"

It's fucking DUMB.

That pretty much sums it up. I've already decided that if my HOA (that I married into and didn't join by choice) ever decides to go Pol Pot on me, it's going to be litigated straight into Chapter 11. They will not even have enough money to buy a bag of grass seed.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Bilster

Actually terrorism would be rigging the mailbox to go off in someones face, not when there's nobody around to get hurt. This particular situation was just nothing more than a big "kiss my ass" type of thing...
jmho
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:06:28 PM EDT
[#22]
In the words of Chris Rock, "I ain't sayin it's right....But I UNDERSTAND"
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I pulled a stretch of 2-5 for tearing a tag off of a matteress a while back.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#24]
While it might be funny at first read; this is an act of terrorism.  This person is attempting to scare the HOA president so that he will stop enforcing the HOA covenants that the idiot homeowner signed when he purchased a home in that neighborhood.  

The real idiot here is anyone that doesn't read an HOA's covenants before they purchase a home in an HOA neighborhood and doesn't realize that they better be prepared to follow ALL of the covenants.  Those covenants are to an HOA neighborhood as the constitution is to the USA.  They spell out exactly what a homeowner can or cannot do to his property and what powers are granted to the HOA board of directors.  This is very simple contract law.  As long as the HOA abides by the convenants and the homeowners abide by the covenates than no problem exits.  When a homeowner or the HOA decides that they don't have to abide by the covenants is when problems happen.  If one of the parties is  breaking the agreed upon contract then they will lose in a court of law.

Example: An HOA that has a no street parking covenant.  A homeowner decides that the street is owned by the city and so the HOA cannot tell him not to park on the street.  The HOA takes the required steps listed in the covenants to get the homeowner back into compliance.  The homeowner refuses.  The HOA takes the homeowner to court and the judge reads the covenants that state no street parking by homeowners and sees the homeowners signature.  The HOA wins. This might suck but it is the homeowners fault for not reading the covenants and deciding that parking on the street is important to him and so he should not buy in that neighborhood.

If you don't want to live under HOA laws then don't buy a home in an HOA.  If you do buy in an HOA, read the covenants and know that at any time the HOA can enforce those covenants.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
While it might be funny at first read; this is an act of terrorism.  This person is attempting to scare the HOA president so that he will stop enforcing the HOA covenants that the idiot homeowner signed when he purchased a home in that neighborhood.  

The real idiot here is anyone that doesn't read an HOA's covenants before they purchase a home in an HOA neighborhood and doesn't realize that they better be prepared to follow ALL of the covenants.  Those covenants are to an HOA neighborhood as the constitution is to the USA.  They spell out exactly what a homeowner can or cannot do to his property and what powers are granted to the HOA board of directors.  This is very simple contract law.  As long as the HOA abides by the convenants and the homeowners abide by the covenates than no problem exits.  When a homeowner or the HOA decides that they don't have to abide by the covenants is when problems happen.  If one of the parties is  breaking the agreed upon contract then they will lose in a court of law.

Example: An HOA that has a no street parking covenant.  A homeowner decides that the street is owned by the city and so the HOA cannot tell him not to park on the street.  The HOA takes the required steps listed in the covenants to get the homeowner back into compliance.  The homeowner refuses.  The HOA takes the homeowner to court and the judge reads the covenants that state no street parking by homeowners and sees the homeowners signature.  The HOA wins. This might suck but it is the homeowners fault for not reading the covenants and deciding that parking on the street is important to him and so he should not buy in that neighborhood.

If you don't want to live under HOA laws then don't buy a home in an HOA.  If you do buy in an HOA, read the covenants and know that at any time the HOA can enforce those covenants.

Im sure whom ever did it,  is sorry they blew up your mailbox.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:19:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I pulled a stretch of 2-5 for tearing a tag off of a matteress a while back.

I could IM you the news article if you like.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Paint the HOA pres. house pink!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top