Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:07:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Typically, they are as safe as the pilot.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I've never flown before cause I am deathly affraid to. So my wifes dad called and asked if I wanted to go up in a small plane. I said yes. What am I in for?

A great ride...

It's like the difference between a motorcycle and a greyhound bus on the ground...

The view is spectacular...

So long as your FIL isn't the crazy asshole from "Independence Day" you'll have a great time.

DO NOT PUKE IN HIS PLANE!

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Just remember, what goes up must come down.  You will never get stuck up there like you would n an elevator.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:10:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Just remember that doors and windows open up in flight on Cessnas. Dont freak out over it like my girlfriend did. As long as you are buckled in you should not fall out.

If the doors/windows on a Cessna 172 or newer open up in flight:

1) The pilot was an idiot and forgot to properly secure them...

2) The owner's mechanic is either an idiot, or purposefully trying to kill you

3) The plane has been crashed before, and put back together by the half-trained monkeys at Century Arms...

(I have actually had to inspect a UH-60 with this exact problem, and #3 was the cause (sub 'contractors' for CAI monkey squad)....

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I've never flown before cause I am deathly affraid to. So my wifes dad called and asked if I wanted to go up in a small plane. I said yes. What am I in for?

A great ride...

It's like the difference between a motorcycle and a greyhound bus on the ground...

So long as your FIL isn't the crazy asshole from "Independence Day" you'll have a great time.

Yep, don't load up on carbonated drinks or squidburgers before you go.

Most folks are a little "uneasy" the first time.

Truth is that airplanes don't "fall out of the sky". You have to make them pretty mad for that to happen. In fact,
if you give an airplane a chance, it will try to help you.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Just remember, what goes up must come down.  You will never get stuck up there like you would n an elevator.  

AKA 'The purpose of the propeller, in flight, is to generate a breeze that keeps the pilot cool... When the propeller stops turning while the plane is flying, the pilot starts sweating'

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

A great ride...

Yep, don't load up on carbonated drinks or squidburgers before you go.

Most folks are a little "uneasy" the first time.

Truth is that airplanes don't "fall out of the sky". You have to make them pretty mad for that to happen. In fact,

if you give an airplane a chance, it will try to help you.

Very true...

Also, a common pilot joke with 'new meat' involves the use of cabin heat...

I'll let you figure the rest out for yourself...

Also, things 'feel' faster than they really are... Your average 70-75kts climb-out @ full throttle in a Cessna feels much more 'agressive' than the (much faster) climbout of a Boeing...

At least it did the first time I did it (Mr A, I said 70kts... Not 85. PULL UP!... Me: 'I like this nice shallow climb much better' (to myself, while saying 'Yes, Sir' and pulling back the yoke) ...

My first ride in a small plane was also my first flight lesson...

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:15:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Watch out for the huge dust devil that crosses the nose of the aircraft as you get about 20 off the ground
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:17:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Just stay within your performance envelope or this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUWcMWLOamg

interesting
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/l-19_crash_documents.htm

I read the first long part when the vid was first posted here in the aviation section.  The part I find more than unbelieveable is the part about the tape hanging from the trees for 3 years.  That sounds like BS and improbable anyhow.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Why not...
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Just tell him not to do this:  

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=316_1249535759

"Damn, Hang on Ronnie!!!"  
The tape hung from tree branches in the woods for years until some hikers found the remains.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Unlike MiGs, Cessnas do not have ejection seats...

'Emergency Escape' = dead stick landing...

Of course, unlike a MiG, a Cessna will (if flown properly) remain controllable all the way through said landing....

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#13]

3) The plane has been crashed before, and put back together by the half-trained monkeys at Century Arms...
(I have actually had to inspect a UH-60 with this exact problem, and #3 was the cause (sub 'contractors' for CAI monkey squad)....

Sorry but..

Windows in a Cessna 150-172 series are designed to open for in flight or so you can drop shit

Doors are cracked open for crash simulation training, I always opened mine.

The rest is for all fun.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The tape hung from tree branches in the woods for years until some hikers found the remains.

Looks like someone fell asleep at the wheel...

Bank, into dive, then recovery, then trees...

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:28:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Sorry but..

Windows in a Cessna 150-172 series are designed to open for in flight or so you can drop shit

Doors are cracked open for crash simulation training, I always opened mine.

The rest is for all fun.

Yes, they are designed to open in flight... It also helps keep the cockpit cool (Korea... 1982 Cessna (no AC)... Sun...  Hot.. Hot..  Very Hot..)...

BUT: They should only open in flight if you open them, they should not 'gremlin' open while you're cruising along...

The same applies to doors...

I suppose '(1) could be amended 'or is being a jackass and trying to scare you - see cabin heat prank'...

I always kept my doors secured (even for emergency simulation training, my IP only wanted to hear me say it, not do it), never thought anyone would intentionally keep them open while NOT in the process of crashing...

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I suppose '(1) could be amended 'or is being a jackass and trying to scare you - see cabin heat prank'...

We were big into pranks. I think there was a group of about 8 or so of us all going through training.  Lots o fun

I loved flying in the morning over the massive warehouses in dallas so the ride would be bumpier.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I rode shotgun with my niebhor in a 172 Cessna from Tampa to Napels and down to the Fl. keys several times. We flew along the coast at about 1k  ft. and landed on a dirt strip on Sugar Loaf Key. It was pretty cool, you are sitting 4inchs from the pilot and have a set of head phones on and get to hold the controls at times.
 We took off from Vandenburug in Brandon Fl. airport and sat down in Napels , Marathon,Sugar Loaf and Key West Int. airports.

On the way back once I had to much fun the night before ( rum) and was ready to use my hat as a barf bag on the way home
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Flying in small planes is great.  I really need to get back working on my PPL.

It will be a fun, bump ride.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:52:16 PM EDT
[#20]
I go flying about once a week with my buddy.  Actually flying to the interior of Alaska this weekend to go hunting.

I actually prefer small planes to the big ones, they are lighter and seem to belong up in the air

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Always thought that pic was funny... reminds me of this vid:

Cuz I don't know how to embed..

The funny part is about 38sec into it....

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

We were big into pranks. I think there was a group of about 8 or so of us all going through training.  Lots o fun

I loved flying in the morning over the massive warehouses in dallas so the ride would be bumpier.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#23]
When you have the controls, the yoke, rudder pedals and throttle,  at cruising speed control inputs are made with pressure, there isn't much movement of the yoke and rudder pedals.  When you slow the plane down and get it to a higher angle of attack then there is some movement of the controls during control inputs.  When the plane is trimmed right, at some particular speed, you fly with the finger tips, you don't need a death grip and the plane will do fine if you let go of the yoke.  Add control pressure and wait a bit, your command will be answered.

Watch the horizon and it's relationship to a place on the windshield and the top of the instrument panel.  Work on keeping the horizon level and in the right place up and down.  Take a look at the attitude indicator you can fly the plane using that and a few other instruments if you can't see outside.

Take hearing protectors with you and perhaps ear plugs that are not pressure sealed, also take some water and a snack.  

Relax, don't worry, there is nothing to be afraid of.  After all it's a plane, what could possibly go wrong?

PS altitude and airspeed are your friends.  Three mistakes high is very good, low and slow is just asking for the earth to rise up and smite thee.  Airspeed is life.  Altitude is life.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Oh yeah, ask him if he can do any of this:  

!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I've only died twice while flying small planes.

Not as safe as an airliner, but then again you shouldn't be a pussy.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:03:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Depending on the plane, it will be like riding in a late 70s Oldsmobile with blown out shocks....
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#27]
My friend took me up in a 172 out of Fredrick MD. back in 2005. It was a blast. I navigated while he flew. It was like riding in a Go-Kart with wings. I was amazed to see how much the landing gear struts flexed when the wheels touched ground. Other than that no worries.

Some day I need to get a pilots license so I can be cool too.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:23:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Oh yeah, ask him if he can do any of this:  

!!!!!!!!!

That is fucking great!  I have a couple friends who do acro instruction, but unfortunately they are in CA.  I really need to pay them a visit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I've never understood the seemingly widespread irrational fear of flying.

Oh wait, that's probably because it's irrational.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:26:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Sounds crazy but I would much rather fly in a small plane than a big one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:32:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I took few classes an instructor let me pilot the plane for good while. It's fantastic feeling. We flew over the Iowa hills in pretty tick fog but it was great. He landed. High wing plane is better because of visibility.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:42:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Bumpy ....those little planes bounce alot.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Small planes are a way of life up here.

If you don't understand the concept of thermals and air density by the time your flight ends you'll know all about them.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:23:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I own a small Cessna. I gave up my fast car, 3 cool motorcycles and other toys just to buy it. It was worth it. I don't screw around in my airplane. I like to keep it all business. Even so, I would be totally lying if I said it was not fun as hell. The only thing that could possibly make flying any better is to combine it with shooting. Oh, wait, that's been done. But, I do wish for the machine gun button from time to time.

In the immortal words of our chief pilot, "you'll probably be OK".

Have fun and make sure to get some stick time.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You have life insurance, right?

Even if he does; the odds are that there is a clause in the policy that excludes payment for death resulting from the crash of privately owned, general aviation aircraft.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:36:35 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

My friend took me up in a 172 out of Fredrick MD. back in 2005. It was a blast. I navigated while he flew. It was like riding in a Go-Kart with wings. I was amazed to see how much the landing gear struts flexed when the wheels touched ground. Other than that no worries.

Some day I need to get a pilots license so I can be cool too.

Yep..

BTW, the main landing struts on a 172 *ARE* the suspension...

Depending on the year, they are either spring steel or a very 'springy' steel tube... Car-style suspension adds weight & drag...

The nose gear is a more 'car-like' shock-absorber... But it doesn't take the force of landing (unless you really FUBAR your approach)...

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#37]
last time I went up in a small plane, i jumped out at 14,000 feet.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Small planes are a lot more fun than big airliners.

IMO, the problem with many people who are afraid to fly is more a fear or feeling of lack of control than the actual flying part.  A small plane makes you like you are more in control than being a nameless passenger in a large plane.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:55:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I knew a guy once that went up in a small plane, he didn't survive the crash.

I want to die like my grandfather, peacefully in his sleep unlike his passengers screaming in pain.

you will be fine.  can I come?
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:57:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
5lbs bags of flour, you can fig it out.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#42]

You're in for some fun.

If it's just you two, you'll probably get the right seat.

When he offers to let you take the controls, take over and have a blast.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:59:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It is very fun. My uncle owns (or owned) various Cessnas, a 152 and a 172 (I think that is what it was). He would let me fly them.

It really is cool. Flying in those pressurized tubes are boring, but the small planes are cool.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I went up for a ride in a Cessna with my buddy once.  

The best I can describe it would be "like flying 10,000 about the ground in a VW Bug with wings on it.  That's about the size of the cockpit on those small 4 seater Cessna's.....and the doors are thin like a bugs also.  

It was a blast...but I sure was glad when those wheels touched the ground again!!  
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Bring earplugs and a good set of sunglasses, a little water (sip, don't chug), and depending on the weather some sunscreen.  Have fun.

If you get up to 14,000' you may be on a little oxygen.  It's important to consciously breathe deeply.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:08:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Are you taking off on a treadmill?  I only ask cause it makes a difference in flight experience.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Being on a big plane is like being on a bus, being in a small plane is like being on a roller coaster.

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#48]
There's nothing like it in the WORLD!!!

It's loud, it's fast, and it's full of lead!
Let me tell you, the smell of 100LL avgas will stay with you forever!

Here I am on my first solo:

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Main thing was hot and high.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Main thing was hot and high.

Hot, high and he kept steepening his turn as the terrain got closer.

Stall city.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top