Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:13:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Never had anyone check my ID or anything like that for anything, if your honest then there should be no problems.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:16:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
WTF? On a longarm? Not a chance in hell would I sign that.

Why is that?

I do agree with the board, you should have told him that part upfront.

Its not like rifles are registered, that can be tracked its just a long process.  highly unlikely that the police would even bother unless it was a very serious crime.

Why the unholy hell would I consent to leaving a trail of ownership where none is required by law? Fuck that.

In IL it is....10 years you must keep the bill of sale plus DL# and FOID#  
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:16:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
As a seller I'd insist on a bill of sale, if buyer balks they can go thru a FFL holder and do the yellow form.

As a buyer I'd probably walk too!

Yep if I sell something the buyer will sign a bill of sale period, if the buyer don’t like it I walk away... in ALL transaction of this type it should be assumed a bill of sale is required.

Says who?

Says me if you want to buy what I have for sale, ESPECIALLY for a item that could be traced back to me. And if I am buying from someone I will get a bill of sale or walk away.

In transactions historically bill of sales are assumed to be issued not the other way around.

I think the question is why should it be assumed if it is not required by law, seems most here think it shouldn't and obviously isn't always assumed!

Exactly.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...In transactions historically bill of sales are assumed to be issued not the other way around.

For FTF transactions? Like heck they are assumed to be issued.

Follow the letter of the law; don't try to make up even more requirements and regulations.

I would not sell or buy a car, pig, dog, couch, radio or anything else to/from someone I do not know and I am sure as hell not buying or sell firearms without one.

Where my life is concerned I will follow the requirements I deem necessary.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
...In transactions historically bill of sales are assumed to be issued not the other way around.

Follow the letter of the law; don't try to make up even more requirements and regulations.

I would not sell or buy a car, pig, dog, couch, radio or anything else to/from someone I do not know and I am sure as hell not buying or sell firearms without one.

Good for you, but you're the minority.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is fine but don't act surprised if others just want to meet what the law requires and not go above and beyond for you.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's a thought for the guys who think the cops will come looking for them if their gun is used in a crime...

Stolen guns are confiscated every day by police but the owners don't get their gun back unless it was REPORTED stolen and is in the database.  If your theory of "assumed guilt by ownership" is true, then the registered owners of the guns would have cops knocking on their door to ask them questions about the gun, and they might actually get it back if their innocence is obvious.

This never happens... so it shoots giant holes in your little theory.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#8]
i would have signed it.  i do the same thing selling a car or dirtbike or snowmobile to someone.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:27:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Here's a thought for the guys who think the cops will come looking for them if their gun is used in a crime...

Stolen guns are confiscated every day by police but the owners don't get their gun back unless it was REPORTED stolen and is in the database.  If your theory of "assumed guilt by ownership" is true, then the registered owners of the guns would have cops knocking on their door to ask them questions about the gun, and they might actually get it back if their innocence is obvious.

No paper is fine and all until you trade that gun in a couple years later and it comes stolen. You will wish you were a bit more of an ass and asked for ID.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you give your personal information or sign a BoS when you buy some chewing gum at the store?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:28:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah but one time I saw on CSI, they tracked this gun back to the orrignal owner by checking the slug in the tracking database and found out that....

oh shit...I can't even finsih typing that load of horse shit.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#12]
To those of you who want a bill of sale:

The gun grabbers wish to thank you for laying more groundwork for gun confiscation.  Have a very merry Christmas.  Clinton/Obama 08!

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you give your personal information or sign a BoS when you buy some chewing gum at the store?

Cant remember the last time anyone got arrested for being in possisoin of a stolen piece of gum.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The gun grabbers wish to thank you for laying more groundwork for gun confiscation.  Have a very merry Christmas.  Clinton/Obama 08!

So covering your ass against buying a stolen gun is contributing to gun confiscation.

I'll try to remember that.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So covering your ass against buying a stolen gun is contributing to gun confiscation.

And I am sure you know of lots of people who were arrested for buying (in good faith) a stolen gun.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And I am sure you know of lots of people who were arrested for buying (in good faith) a stolen gun.

Actually having sold guns for a living for many years, yes many. And before the gun show law here in Oregon a few others. Buying a gun from a stranger, FTF, without a bos or at least checking theor ID is ignorant.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I prefer to have a bill of sale if I'm selling a firearm.

I don't want the guy coming back to me when he shoots his mega-velocity reloads in the pistol, blows it up, and then expects me to reimburse him.

The bill of sale basically states: I'm not liable for anything stupid you do with this firearm.  You agreed to this price, for the condition the firearm is currently in.  From this point on, if you fuck up and shoot your mother-in-law (accidentaly or otherwise), don't even think about filing a civil suit.  Furthermore, by taking posession of this firearm, you assert that you can legally own a firearm in the state of Tennessee.  Date/Time/Signature.

No SSN, DL#, mothers maiden name or anything else...
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fair enough, just lay it out before someone drives to meet you for a FTF.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Who the hell are you to change a fucking law?

Take it little by little, little by little.

You will not be charged if someone is shot with it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
There is no law stating you have to verify a person's identity or have them sign a bill of sale in a FTF transaction.  It's on the buyer to know if he can legally purchase a firearm, not the seller.

There is the 'law' of self preservation. A bill of sale is evidence that the gun in question is no longer ownered nor posessed by the person on file at the BATFE under the serial number on that gun. Thus, if it were subsequently used in a crime, and the police came to question, a BoS would show that you were in no way connected to the crime or to that firearm.

My rule of thumb is that if an item has a serial number, then any sale should have a record annotating the serial number, and the name of the buyer. The buyers address and other data is NOT needed, just a description of the item, the serial number of the item, and a printed and signed name of the buyer.

Do it "for the adults"
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Got yourself

I get a receipt with the stores name on it and so do you... and we both assume we are going to get one.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#22]
WOW! Already 3 pages in 1 hr. Lots of opinions on this one, but most seem to be on the "no paperwork/BOS" side including me.

AIRBORNE!
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually having sold guns for a living for many years, yes many...

Ya. Right. I'm sure you know lots of people who were arrested for buying stolen guns.

...And before the gun show law here in Oregon a few others. Buying a gun from a stranger, FTF, without a bos or at least checking theor ID is ignorant.

Showing a drivers license to show that you each are who you say you are (to meet state residency requirements, for instance), is a far cry from starting your own private 4473 system. Don't try to compare the two.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
There is no law stating you have to verify a person's identity or have them sign a bill of sale in a FTF transaction.  It's on the buyer to know if he can legally purchase a firearm, not the seller.

There is the 'law' of self preservation. A bill of sale is evidence that the gun in question is no longer ownered nor posessed by the person on file at the BATFE under the serial number on that gun. Thus, if it were subsequently used in a crime, and the police came to question, a BoS would show that you were in no way connected to the crime or to that firearm.

My rule of thumb is that if an item has a serial number, then any sale should have a record annotating the serial number, and the name of the buyer. The buyers address and other data is NOT needed, just a description of the item, the serial number of the item, and a printed and signed name of the buyer.

Do it "for the adults"

What The Fuck are you talking about?

On second thought, don't answer that, just stop talking.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually having sold guns for a living for many years, yes many...

Ya. Right. I'm sure you know lots of people who were arrested for buying stolen guns.

...And before the gun show law here in Oregon a few others. Buying a gun from a stranger, FTF, without a bos or at least checking theor ID is ignorant.

Showing a drivers license to show that you each are who you say you are (to meet state residency requirements, for instance), is a far cry from starting your own private 4473 system. Don't try to compare the two.

What the hell are you talking about. I have had the cops in the shop at least 6-7 times for stolen guns. You think that the people that actually stole them brought them in?

I am in no way comparing the two. I am saying that without some proof of were YOU got the gun you will find trouble when it comes up stolen.

I know your not this ignorant, what gives?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:48:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I've bought many firearms FTF and have provided paper work with a grand total of one (copy of DL, with SSN blanked out).

In the other transactions, the only paper to change hands was the green stuff.

I can't speak as to how it is done anywhere else, but around here, exchanging money and a handshake is pretty much the extent of the transaction.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Devils in the details.  You should have discussed it with him prior to the ftf.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:50:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Just bought my first gun FTF. It was from the EE and I drove out of town to meet the guy. It was awesome to just hand someone cash and get an AK!

I will admit that the old sheeple in me did feel like I was doing a drug deal or something else illegal.

I mean wow, I just bought an AK that blows up schools in a mall parking lot for cash!

Seller didn't ask to see any ID or for me to sign something.

I probably would have without a problem, but now will rethink that in the future.

On a side note: Are the FTF laws the same for handguns? Specifically in Oregon?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Just bought my first gun FTF. It was from the EE and I drove out of town to meet the guy. It was awesome to just hand someone cash and get an AK!

I will admit that the old sheeple in me did feel like I was doing a drug deal or something else illegal.

I mean wow, I just bought an AK that blows up schools in a mall parking lot for cash!

Seller didn't ask to see any ID or for me to sign something.

I probably would have without a problem, but now will rethink that in the future.

On a side note: Are the FTF laws the same for handguns? Specifically in Oregon?

Yes you can buy a handgun or longarm ftf without paper in OR.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:53:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do it "for the adults"

What The Fuck are you talking about?

On second thought, don't answer that, just stop talking.

You would think he was in New York or New Jersey, not Texas.  

Anyways, back on topic, I have only done one FTF, and there was no BOS for that one.  On the other hand, all the details were worked out via email and PM and I still have access to those.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:55:06 PM EDT
[#31]
You should have told him up front BUT if I sell a weapon that I filled out the Federal form on, I am getting your Drivers License information for my records or NO DEAL.

Now if I got it without paper then you can have it the same way.

I want to be able to respond to the Jack Booted Thugs when they come knocking on my door at 4AM and asking me where were you at x time?
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:55:32 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I am in no way comparing the two. I am saying that without some proof of were YOU got the gun you will find trouble when it comes up stolen...

Unless I signed some bill of sale with my personal information on it, I have a hard time coming up with a realistic scenario in which the police would know to come to me for said stolen gun.

Just one of those days.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:57:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
As a seller I'd insist on a bill of sale, if buyer balks they can go thru a FFL holder and do the yellow form.

As a buyer I'd probably walk too!

Yep if I sell something the buyer will sign a bill of sale period, if the buyer don’t like it I walk away... in ALL transaction of this type it should be assumed a bill of sale is required.

+1
I have always asked for the buyer to sign a BOS.  Not one person has said no or acted like it was a pain in their ass.  In fact when most of them come over there showing their NE purchase permit to show that they aren't some clown and that they are a serious buyer.  It's called CYA!

+1

If they dont buy it and they can leave..
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am in no way comparing the two. I am saying that without some proof of were YOU got the gun you will find trouble when it comes up stolen...

Unless I signed some bill of sale with my personal information on it, I have a hard time coming up with a realistic scenario in which the police would know to come to me for said stolen gun.

Just one of those days.

That is why I am saying if I buy a gun I want record of were it came from. Unless of course you are sombody I know or maybe a member here in good standing etc.

Just some guy with a gun for sale I met hovering over gun rags at the store, BOS.

Yea, it is one of those days (snowing like no tomorrow here!)
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I would assume that I would be asked to sign some bill of sale. If'n ya dont sign a bill of sale, forget coming back to me if ya have a problem with the firearm, to me its like selling a used tv, ya might have broke it when ya got it home....
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
What the hell are you talking about. I have had the cops in the shop at least 6-7 times for stolen guns. You think that the people that actually stole them brought them in?

I am in no way comparing the two. I am saying that without some proof of were YOU got the gun you will find trouble when it comes up stolen.

Without any solid proof that you are connected to the stealing of the weapon, the only "trouble" you're likely to find is the realization that your out the money you gave the guy for the gun when the police take it from you.

Even if they try to make the case that you stole it, it's unlikely that the prosecutor is going to touch the case, unless you give them a good reason to believe something shady is going on.

If you're a law-abiding citizen in good standing with the law, you have nothing to worry about. It won't take them long to figure out you probably had nothing to do with the crime. Considering that few of us are just going to buy a gun from a guy on the street corner or a back alley, there is going to be some tangible trail back to the transaction that you can use to clear your name in the unlikely event that you have to clear your name.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#37]
I ask for a bill of sale as well, all it states is something like this.

I, RIA45ACP, sold one Ruger 77 in 223 SN# 8374839384 to "buyer's name", on 11/29/07. and then I sign and they sign.

If you don't want to sign it you can go buy from someone else, its not like I'm asking for your address or your DL or any other personal info besides your name, which if were to the point of FTF I probably already know anyway.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#38]
All I can say is that I’m not buying a gun from someone that’s not willing to sign a piece of paper that says they sold it to me. In fact I wouldn’t buy a TV without some kind of bill of sale either. That’s my proof that I didn’t steal the item in question and there are a lot of folks that aren’t above dealing in stolen merchandise or a little insurance fraud.

Likewise, I’m not willing to sell a firearm without a bill of sale either. If a gun I used to own gets used to murder someone then I want to have something to keep my innocent ass out of jail.

In one FTF transaction I have been involved in the guy selling me the gun had printed out two copies of a bill of sale for us to both sign… Guess he thought like I did. Obviously I signed without a problem.

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:02:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
All I can say is that I’m not buying a gun from someone that’s not willing to sign a piece of paper that says they sold it to me. In fact I wouldn’t buy a TV without some kind of bill of sale either. That’s my proof that I didn’t steal the item in question and there are a lot of folks that aren’t above dealing in stolen merchandise or a little insurance fraud.

Likewise, I’m not willing to sell a firearm without a bill of sale either. If a gun I used to own gets used to murder someone then I want to have something to keep my innocent ass out of jail.

In one FTF transaction I have been involved in the guy selling me the gun had printed out two copies of a bill of sale for us to both sign… Guess he thought like I did. Obviously I signed without a problem.

That's what I do ! Copy for both..
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Without any solid proof that you are connected to the stealing of the weapon, the only "trouble" you're likely to find is the realization that your out the money you gave the guy for the gun when the police take it from you.

Even if they try to make the case that you stole it, it's unlikely that the prosecutor is going to touch the case, unless you give them a good reason to believe something shady is going on.

If you're a law-abiding citizen in good standing with the law, you have nothing to worry about. It won't take them long to figure out you probably had nothing to do with the crime. Considering that few of us are just going to buy a gun from a guy on the street corner or a back alley, there is going to be some tangible trail back to the transaction that you can use to clear your name in the unlikely event that you have to clear your name.

Some of that is very true but its the trouble you go thru in the meantime. I have NFA items in my safe and I cant imagine getting arrested for trying to sell a stolen gun. The nightmare would likley cost me a fortune.

This VERY thing happened to my BOL. He purchased a win 94 a a show before oregons gunshow law. Had the gun for years. 2 years ago he takes it to a pawn shop to trade it in on a bolt and and the gun comes back stolen. He was arrested, and taken to jail. He was released the next day and given a court date. He went ot court and the charges were eventually dropped. But he still had to go thru it. Not somthing I am willing to go thru.

While you may not get in trouble is it somthing you are willing to go thru in place of asking for a BOS or to see ID?

Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:05:10 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I do ! Copy for both..

I can vouch for that^^

Dammit Norge!  Now we're co-conspirators with the gungrabbers!!!

I do it.  Never had anyone have a problem with it. CYA
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

So you're saying that a gun found at a crime scene will not be traced back to the last owner  on record? I believe you said, "This never happens... so it shoots giant holes in your little theory". Is this correct? Ijust want to make sure before I dump a huge pile of 'pwnage' on your head.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Bill of sale should be SOP. CYA on both sides.
No reason not to do it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#44]
To add to that..

You get stopped for some reason. The officer runs the serial number and it comes back stolen..

Q. Where did you get this gun?

A. Well I purchased the gun from this guy in a parking lot..

Q. Who was the guy?

A. Humm - I dont know..

Q. Know his name?

A. No.

Q. Do you have a bill of sale?

A. No

Guess where your going !
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:09:45 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Bill of sale should be SOP. CYA on both sides.
No reason not to do it.

very much in agreement.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So you're saying that a gun found at a crime scene will not be traced back to the last owner  on record? I believe you said, "This never happens... so it shoots giant holes in your little theory". Is this correct? I just want to make sure before I dump a huge pile of 'pwnage' on your head.

Sigline material right there!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Um, Tyman if you read this thread I guess I'll need you to come back to town to get some paperwork done.

OR

We could say "fuck that" and blow through a bunch of ammo before it expires (because I have the wife convinced that ammo expires), then head down to Aggieville and pillage on cheap pitchers and fried bull nuts.

Either is probably fine with me, but I'm leaning toward option two.
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 11/29/2007 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Not one single law requiring any paperwork to purchase a handgun or long gun face-to-face in Texas.  That's where the OP is from.  I've bought a few guns FTF, and have never asked, been offered, or even expected any kind of paperwork.

He walked because you sprang this on him at the last minute.  I would have walked if we'd even discussed at the beginning of the negotiations.  

Regardless of a legal requirment it should be SOP.

I dont wear a seatbelt because its required by law. I wear it to hopefull save my ass when i get in a wreck.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top