Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's a classic dream I still have all these years later after college.  The dreaded "I forgot I had signed up for XXX and the final is tomorrow!"

So very close, drive to the end and get that paper!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What did you fail?

Some bs online class. Forensic pathology. Would've helped had I remembered I had that class.

That's a classic dream I still have all these years later after college.  The dreaded "I forgot I had signed up for XXX and the final is tomorrow!"

So very close, drive to the end and get that paper!

Me too man, lol.

Do you have the dream about always being late for class?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:46:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Failed calc 3 last semester, took two summer classes to fix it and worked 60 hours a week all summer.

I have passed everything this semester, except for Differential Equations which is a little iffy, But I take that final in about two hours, and only need a 74 on the final to pass.

After this my math classes are done and I get to the fun engineering classes.

Major is ME

I know all my classes will involve math, but its pretty well known at my school, the engineering professors aren't there to check your math, they want you to know the subject matter.  

none of my classes have the MAT prefix anymore.  They will all be applied.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Me too man, lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too man, lol.

So weird dude, that just happened to me last night too.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#4]
been there done that.
Failed 1 class in college. Finance 470. Retook it with the same professor to prove to myself that I could do it. got a B.
3.0 cumulative GPA and it took me 9 semesters.
Major and a Minor
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Once you're out, no one (meaningful) will care about your GPA.  They'll care about your degree.  
View Quote

I wouldn't say that.  Depending on your degree and where you graduated from, your GPA is the only thing that can set you apart from the lazy students and the idiots in your class.  Many local degree mills will make sure you don't wash out as long as you aren't ear-biting retarded and your tuition check clears.  We certainly take it into consideration when determining which new grads to interview when we've got a stack of resumes.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:58:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't understand... Finals have been my strong point I guess.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:01:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Im 90% sure there is an arfcommer in my apt complex. Gasden flag in window and molon labe plate in front of their truck.
View Quote

I'm not the only one in the construction program, but I don't know his screen name. I'm easy to spot while on campus, apparently the OD ballcap w/ a gadsden that I wear has become my trademark amongst my friends. lol
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:10:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I am in my late thirties now. Looking back my college years were some of the easiest years of my adult life. Go to classes a few hours a week, study a little here and there, and drink a lot of beer. Quite honestly I did not put a whole lot of effort into it and I graduated with a 3.5 GPA. I did what I had to do in order to get good grades but I really didn't apply myself and learn as much as I could which I kind of regret. I have some former classmates that I don't think are really any smarter than me but they immersed themselves in their education and you can tell the difference in how much they know. They are not really ahead of me in life and I am doing fine but if I could go back and do it again I would have learned a lot more.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Once you're out, no one (meaningful) will care about your GPA.  They'll care about your degree.  
View Quote

Sure, if you've got a degree that doesn't mean anything.  Which means today, getting a job is going to be a pure bitch.

Somewhere around 2 million kids get bachelors or masters degrees each year, and a large portion, maybe a third to a half, aren't finding work in their fields.

We don't even give a second look at a resume that has below a 2.8 to 3.0.  But then we're hiring for engineering.  Like wearing a suit to the interview, if you couldn't figure out that GPA meant something in college we don't have time for you, no matter how many peace corps assignments you had and how many gay pride parades you marched in.

But if you are going to be a cop, and GPA (ie, the measure of your ability to learn and retain information) doesn't matter, I guess that explains a lot.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:12:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'm not the only one in the construction program, but I don't know his screen name. I'm easy to spot while on campus, apparently the OD ballcap w/ a gadsden that I wear has become my trademark amongst my friends. lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Im 90% sure there is an arfcommer in my apt complex. Gasden flag in window and molon labe plate in front of their truck.

Ill keep an eye out.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Meh, I've failed out of classes before. I distinctly remember working full time third shift and falling asleep in some generic assed writing class. The teacher woke me up and all my zombie brain could think was to say "sorry, tired", which got the class laughing

I also failed out of a race / ethics class, and met my SO when I retook it
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:28:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

From someone who has three degrees and went to college while working full time and raising a family I have to say................LOSER
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One failed class, two C's and a B aint half bad right?

Too much beer, too much working to get beer money, not enough time in studies.

2.65 cumulative GPA on my 4th year of college. All that I have left next semester is police academy through the university and I'll have a degree. Good thing I actually practiced for that shit a while ago.

From someone who has three degrees and went to college while working full time and raising a family I have to say................LOSER

+1 I graduated high school with a 2.1.  Now I am in college my GPA for my fist semester in college is 3.8.  I have 2 kiddos.  Luckily I don't have to work but having kids makes studying much more difficult, and I have to study till midnight and wake up around 7.  College isn't hard, you get what you put into it.  I would be seriously doubting my intelligence if I was graduating with less than a 3.0.  I think employers who look at GPA want to see how hard you applied yourself.  If you can't manage above a 3.0 you are not applying yourself period.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Party on dude.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:14:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I know all my classes will involve math, but its pretty well known at my school, the engineering professors aren't there to check your math, they want you to know the subject matter.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Failed calc 3 last semester, took two summer classes to fix it and worked 60 hours a week all summer.

I have passed everything this semester, except for Differential Equations which is a little iffy, But I take that final in about two hours, and only need a 74 on the final to pass.

Major is ME

They will now be applied math.  I distinctly remember being excited to be done with all of my "math" classes, and I was very disappointed to discover that the nuclear engineering classes were now just those math classes applied to our specific problems.  I had to make sure I really understood the math in order to succeed at engineering, not just knew the material for the math exams.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:19:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

What do they call the guy who graduated last in his class in medical school, " Doctor." har har har
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The mathematics is the vehicle to understanding engineering.

Like I told a friend of my daughter last Saturday, I have finals every day and the only acceptable score is 100%.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Major is ME

The mathematics is the vehicle to understanding engineering.

Like I told a friend of my daughter last Saturday, I have finals every day and the only acceptable score is 100%.

That is a damn good point and one that more engineers in school need to be mindful of.  Especially with all the yobbos I see graduating ME who only passed because they learned to cheat well enough.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#18]
2.77 cumulative here, 3rd year.
Business Administration Major
3 A's, 1 C, 2 D's
Need an 80 on the final to get one D to a C
Need a 70 on the other final to go from D to C.

Fuck.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

+1 I graduated high school with a 2.1.  Now I am in college my GPA for my fist semester in college is 3.8.  I have 2 kiddos.  Luckily I don't have to work but having kids makes studying much more difficult, and I have to study till midnight and wake up around 7.  College isn't hard, you get what you put into it.  I would be seriously doubting my intelligence if I was graduating with less than a 3.0.  I think employers who look at GPA want to see how hard you applied yourself.  If you can't manage above a 3.0 you are not applying yourself period.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2.65 cumulative GPA on my 4th year of college. All that I have left next semester is police academy through the university and I'll have a degree. Good thing I actually practiced for that shit a while ago.

Speaking as somebody who already has a BS and is working on another, get back to us in a few semesters. The first couple are always the easiest. It really does only get harder from there.

But if my ass can pull a 3.6, you probably can too.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Speaking as somebody who already has a BS and is working on another, get back to us in a few semesters. The first couple are always the easiest. It really does only get harder from there.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why a second BS and not a MS? Just for enjoyment?

Only curious, I have two BS's also and thinking about a MS
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What do they call the guy who graduated last in his class in medical school, " Doctor." har har har
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually....if he was that bad in med school the trend was probably a continuation of how he did in undergrad, as well as how he did on the MCAT. Therefore, he probably went to some shitty out of country med school, did poorly there, had a horrible match for residency in something he probably didn't want to do, and is just like Dr. Nick Riviera. "Hi everybody!"
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:46:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Just hang in there OP, I had a shitty first semester and then kicked ass to get my GPA above a 3.5

You get out of it what you put in. I am just ready to graduate at this moment though. 1 year left as of this week.

1 Final left on Thursday.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[...]

First BS was in biology. After much thinking, it's not a field I see myself making a career in. Engineering is the field I want to make a career in. Not enough crossover to go straight to an MS. So I might just take a couple years of undergrad and go for an MS, or I might get the BSME and work with that. Haven't decided yet but the first couple years of either is the same.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:57:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Finished one paper on Sunday and currently working on my second which is due this coming Sunday. I have one essay final to do sometime this week.

Not so bad, just lots of reading and writing.         MS International Relations with a concentration on national security affairs.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:00:01 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Some bs online class. Forensic pathology. Would've helped had I remembered I had that class.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What did you fail?

I literally forgot about a speech class I was enrolled in. The instructor never once emailed me or talked to me about missing and I didn't find out until the day before finals. I was lucky enough to get a W instead of an F just because I was friends with the dean's daughter.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:00:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I took several second year classes during my first semester.  The only reason I didn't get a 4.0 was because I took second year english when I should have taken first year. I had taken some english classes while in the military.  Now because of the agreement between my cc and the University I have to go back and take first year english.  Thats what I keep hearing.  I will just work harder and study more than I already do.  It's not that "hard" to get As and Bs.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#27]
I graduated with a 2.4 in Electrical Engineering and my first boss didn't even mention it.  He was more interested in the fact that I was an Eagle Scout.  One you get that first job no one will ask about it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Finals on 12/17 and 12/18 Then i'm DONE!

Aero Engineer here

3.26 cumulative.

Cant find a job.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Finals on 12/17 and 12/18 Then i'm DONE!

Aero Engineer here

3.26 cumulative.

Cant find a job.

View Quote

Can't find any job or can't find a job in Aeronautical Engineering?  I need a field engineer to work on Ultrasonic Testing machines but I can't pay you like an engineer.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 11:41:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I took several second year classes during my first semester.  The only reason I didn't get a 4.0 was because I took second year english when I should have taken first year. I had taken some english classes while in the military.  Now because of the agreement between my cc and the University I have to go back and take first year english.  Thats what I keep hearing.  I will just work harder and study more than I already do.  It's not that "hard" to get As and Bs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[...]

No, it's not that hard. You do just have to put in the work. All I'm saying is that work can go up dramatically in upper-division courses. It also depends on your major and your professor. My biochemistry professor sucked, and it's not an easy course to begin with. I pulled a B, but it was the hardest B I ever earned. The couple weeks before finals, I was literally spending at least five hours a day in the library just reviewing biochem. I think out of a class of at least a hundred, there were ten As, tops, and most of those were grad students.

You can do it. Just don't get comfortable because of your first semester.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 12:21:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
3 A's, 1 C, 2 D's

Fuck.
View Quote

Not to much pressure here.  If I get a 7% on my Thermodynamics final I still get a C.

Now Mechanics of Materials is a different story.  If I get a D on it I get a D for the class, which I can live with.  That class was rough.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Kinda nuked my last Astronomy test, got a B. Ended up with an A- in the class, I'll take that. Teacher said he'd love to have me in his Physics class. I said "Not much call for physics in graphic design, but thanks for the compliment!"

That's one A down, two to go this semester.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 12:51:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Finished up this week.

96% on a 20 page term paper.

First term of grad school in the books!
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#35]
me too, I feel your pain.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds about right.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:09:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Not to much pressure here.  If I get a 7% on my Thermodynamics final I still get a C.

Now Mechanics of Materials is a different story.  If I get a D on it I get a D for the class, which I can live with.  That class was rough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
3 A's, 1 C, 2 D's

Fuck.

It's the exact opposite for me. Mechanics of Materials was fairly easy, but Thermo is going to kick my ass.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:16:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Your final semester is not the time to fuck up or fuck off.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:26:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Just drop out and become a cop.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:26:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
3 A's, 1 C, 2 D's

Fuck.

I think I could have gotten as low as a 45 on my diff eq final - which I just bombed miserably - and still made a B in the class.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:30:07 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
You might be surprised at the number of large companies that do care about GPA, even . gov does in some positions
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You might be surprised at the number of large companies that do care about GPA, even . gov does in some positions
And also, you're pretty fucked trying to get into grad school if you ever wanted/needed to

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:43:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Undergrad degree might as well be a HS diploma these days.  Everybody and their brother gets funneled into college now instead of going right to work or a trade school; they're pumping out degrees like crazy.  Now we have all these fuckstick millenials bitching about how they can't get a job with their underwater basket weaving degrees so they move back home and/or go on the government dole.

Maybe they won't scour your transcripts for GPA but they'll sure as shit hire the guy with deans list, academic honors and other goodies on their CV over "yet another schlub with yet another degree."
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#43]
OP, I feel your pain. Took a physics final this morning, and I have Organic Chem and Genetics tomorrow
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Bump. any updates people?
one more to go on friday (algebra)
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#45]
Had a circuit analysis final this morning that I think I did alright on, might make an A in that one. Thermo I is tomorrow morning, if I can do well on that one I'll end up with a high B or a low A.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:56:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would disagree with this statement.  I have had employers ask for my GPA and copies of my transcripts.  Granted I work in a very technical field, but still in a very competitive job market it can still be used as a means to judge applicants.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:59:23 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Major is ME
View Quote

Keep telling yourself here come the "fun" classes, because maybe if you say it enough it will come true
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:22:05 PM EDT
[#48]
what's that saying,

"you can be dumb or you can be lazy, but you can't be both"

something like that
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#49]
I finished yesterday
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 12:32:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Do you have any idea how much money straight As can get you?  No need for student debt if you are on scholarship.  If I can do it anyone can.  Work less at your job and study as hard and as often as you would otherwise work.

Profit.

Thank me later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Time to learn a trade

I already got gunsmithing down.

Do you have any idea how much money straight As can get you?  No need for student debt if you are on scholarship.  If I can do it anyone can.  Work less at your job and study as hard and as often as you would otherwise work.

Profit.

Thank me later.

My son was valedictorian.  This is not entirely true.

He got $4500/year academic scholarship.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top