User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Farscape!

On a side note... can anyone get into 'Fringe'? I like when I have watched but it doesn't hold my attention enough and I forget about it.

It gets s bit redundant at times.

yeah they tend to add filler a lot. i was getting into it but it seems to be going "lost" where there is just so much shit happening that it doesn't matter anymore, if this season is not the last I probably wont watch it I've gotten bored if never ending shows.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't bother with Fagalon 5.  

Eureka.
Warehouse 13
Sliders
Brimstone
LEXX
Farscape
Psi Factor: Chronicles of the Paranormal
Deep Space 9

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Dune.

Dune - from scifi- not the crappy movie
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:42:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Space:ABove and Beyond

From across the pond- Red Dwarf and Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#5]
nuthin i havnt heard of yet.. does that mean theres nuthin else worth while out there or that u guys just suck?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Give Stargate SG1 a shot. I am really enjoying it, just about to start on season three.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#7]
really sg1? never heard of that...

couple that havn't been listed yet earth final conflict, seaquest dsv/2032

and to the guy that doesn't like babylon 5 are you classified as human?  lexx was a really weird show but entertaining at the time of night when it usually aired.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:15:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Don't bother with Fagalon 5.  

Eureka.

Warehouse 13

Sliders

Brimstone

LEXX

Farscape

Psi Factor: Chronicles of the Paranormal

Deep Space 9

I simply could not get into the series at all.

Now the original 4 films were seriously amazing.  I watched them first run on Showtime (Tales from a Parallel Universe) and bought them on DVD from Canada the moment they were available.  Even have the soundtrack CD.

Eva > Xenia  

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

seaquest dsv/2032

I think Al Gore wrote that one.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#10]
probably.. I havnt seen it since I was in grade school they always had a little science fact from woods hole at the end
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:34:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I tried watching it again, and couldn't get past the overwhelming hippiefeelgoodsavetheplanet BS.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I'll throw another in here that probably won't get much love... Andromeda.

It has its shortcomings but I enjoyed it.

Would however put it further down on the list to everything that's been mentioned in the thread so far.  

Don't short sell Andromeda, it had some excellent stuff early on.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#13]
SeaQuest started off pretty good, even with the eco-environmental slant, but went off the rails.

Reminded me of Lost In Space.  Great premise, good execution to begin and then...
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Lot of good recommendations in here.  I'll second Eureka since it's still running, and then direct you to the anime department.  The cerebral action of Ghost in the Shell and its followon TV series as well as the derived-from Appleseed (198x and 2004), the original (and still extremely powerful and effective) Robotech series, the mindfuck Neon Genesis Evangelion series, the delightful and hilarious Full Metal Panic! series, and so many others.

Animation gives those developers a lot of freedom that Live action TV series lack.  No set or character restrictions, no real catastrophe in being too daring or non-formulaic.

There's still a tremendous amount of bad anime, but the 2% that's really good is comparable to the best Hollywood products.

Speaking of which, try movies.

Dark City
Knowing
Moon
Children of Men
Watchmen
Etc.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Would however put it further down on the list to everything that's been mentioned in the thread so far.  

It turns into the Kevin Sorbo Power Hour at season 2.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:41:40 PM EDT
[#16]

ah so its one of those things that should be best kept as a memory? shame. I guess I really am out of sci fi series to watch :( until they release the last season of sliders not so much for the quality of the season as its the end of the series and I've already got the other 4 seasons.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Short sell it?  I have the Slipstream Edition DVD set of the entire series.

And you've got to admit that she's a beautiful and unique ship design.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:49:15 PM EDT
[#18]
it sorta looks like the ship from the spoof movie galaxy quest heh
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Galaxy Quest is a quality Sci Fi movie, too.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:03:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Babylon 5 is a great series, it really raises the bar of what a sci-fi show should be.  I'd start with season 2-4 and then check out season1 (1 was a slow starter and did not really do much)

The Sara Connors Chronicles is another great show that died an early death.

Cowboy Bebop was fricking awesome and well worth it.

Try to track down 'Ashes to Ashes', a British series that is only 24 eps long.  It is the sequel to "Life on Mars".  All you need to know about Life is a cop named Sam Tyler gets hit by a car and wakes up in the 70s and has no idea what happened to him.  Ashes has his shrink (Alex) get shot in the head in 2008 and wakes up in 1983.  It does a great job of poking fun at 80s TV, and is part cop drama, part sci-fi.  The show wraps up neatly and is worth the watch.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I only saw a few episodes but I thought Sanctuary was pretty good. I just started watching Dr. WHo but can really find myself caring when its david tennet playing the doctor
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Watch Star Gate Universe.

You do not need to have seen any of the others and it is relatively unrelated to the rest of the storyline / other series.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Better than many actual "serious" films.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:13:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Space- Above and Beyond

best sci fi series ever IMO

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:19:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Better than many actual "serious" films.

+1

Galaxy Quest should have its poster in the dictionary under parody. PERFECT, PERFECT, PERFECT way to do parody. It doesn't get so serious you lose sight of what it is and how funny it is, but it doesn't get so corny (the pit almost ALL parody falls into) that you start groaning. It all comes together to make a movie that's fantastic in its own right, very funny if you're not a Star Trek: TOS fan, and FUCKING HILARIOUS if you are a Star Trek: TOS fan.

A better done parody does not exist.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:27:19 PM EDT
[#26]
SPACE: 1999
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:30:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Another vote for Andromeda (season 1 only).

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Space- Above and Beyond

as much as I love saab its still second to b5 in both story and cool ass space fighters and I say that with hammerheads as my desktop wallpaper.

eta: oh yeah don't forget crusade after ur done watching b5 the movies.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just finished up watching the newer Battlestar Galactica series, thought it was pretty good.   Thinking about starting Caprica next.

What else is decent to watch that was made in the past 10 years or so?   Only other series I've watched is Firefly.

Thanks.

vmax84

HAve you watched the Battlestar galatica movies? Of course there is the original one but there is also 'Razor' and 'The plan'
both of which cover back stories related to the tv show. Razor deals with the Battlestar Pegasus and how they came to meet up with BSG.
While its good, the movie 'the plan' is actually a lot better because it fills in a lot of unanswered questions from the series. Like where that "TV anchor" Caprica 6 came from or how the asian chick was sabotaging BSG without her own knowledge.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:49:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Space- Above and Beyond

as much as I love saab its still second to b5 in both story and cool ass space fighters and I say that with hammerheads as my desktop wallpaper.

eta: oh yeah don't forget crusade after ur done watching b5 the movies.

I have tried to like Babylon 5

the show's battles and stuff  look terrific and is quite epic in scope but could never get into it

Jerry Doyle is pretty cool though

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:57:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Babayon 5

ST: Deep Space 9

Stargate SG1

Stargate Atlantis

The funny thing is, Stargate recycles actors from pretty much every other Sci-Fi franchise...

Most of the Star Trek: TNG cast shows up in cameos somewhere in Stargate...

Some with rather similar personalities (Doc from Voyager)

Others in entirely different positions (The guy who played Miles Obrien on Star Trek... And the lady who played 'Inara' on Firefly... Not so 'nice' characters in Stargate land (alright, 'Inara' is dowright evil)....).....

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:59:41 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Short sell it?  I have the Slipstream Edition DVD set of the entire series.

And you've got to admit that she's a beautiful and unique ship design.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_7NduKsyhQUo/TIsWsTCqx_I/AAAAAAAAQ18/jPZHgPyaMOg/andromeda_ascendant_large.jpg

Other than aliens, guns and and special effects that often looked like they came off the set of a bad kid's action show (eg Power Rangers)....

It got better as the show went on & they 'fixed' most of that....

With that said, Andromeda features one of the most potent weapons of mass destruction in all of TV/movie sci-fi...

'Nova Bomb'... Yes, it does exactly what the name says....

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:00:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

The funny thing is, Stargate recycles actors from pretty much every other Sci-Fi franchise...

It's like the nexus of all Sci Fi shows. It doesn't hurt, of course, that it's the longest running in history.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:01:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis... you can skip Universe.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:02:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's like the nexus of all Sci Fi shows. It doesn't hurt, of course, that it's the longest running in history.

That's my point...

It's kind of fun to look through & figure out where you've seen everyone before...

Especially the ones in 180-opposite roles ('Miles Obrian' vs Chief Cowan)

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:02:48 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

With that said, Andromeda features one of the most potent weapons of mass destruction in all of TV/movie sci-fi...

I'm also rather turned on by their lack of aversion to "gunboat diplomacy."

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:04:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm also rather turned on by their lack of aversion to "gunboat diplomacy."

Of course, the show is about a fanatical former-soldier who was frozen in time along with his ship, in a future SHTF, trying to restore law and order to the universe...

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:10:46 PM EDT
[#38]

I can't believe Voyager and X Files hasn't been mentioned! Those are my suggestions

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:26:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes X-Files for sure. Fringe is pretty watchable too.

Twin Peaks if you want to stretch the definition a bit.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:40:35 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Not anywhere close to to Doctor Who.

769 episodes and counting.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:43:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Jericho is another one that comes to mind. but Im guessing the majority of arfcom already seen it.

Yep. It's pretty far removed from your typical Aliens-From-Outer-Space kind of Sci-Fi TV series, but wonderful nonetheless...

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:45:04 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

But that's British, they don't count.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:46:58 PM EDT
[#43]

yeah garibaldi was great. jacob carter was in an episode of b5 and weyoune from ds9 was in another heh. I always found it cool how they all apear on different shows.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:56:43 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But that's British, they don't count.

Fair enough.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:59:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
If you're not opposed to watching anime, Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell are good series.  

+1

And various Gundams(I don't like the "Gundam Fight" series, but the UC-original and following, Wing, Seed, and 00 are all good), Akira(movie), Blood+, Death Note
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:59:58 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Blood+

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:04:23 AM EDT
[#47]

All ten season are on Hulu, and it'd only take about a week to power through them.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:07:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Blood+

I really wasn't expecting much, but it was a complete anime series for streaming on Netflix. My wife really got into it, and into GITS and Death Note as well. I go more towards Gundam generally but Blood+ was actually pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:08:58 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

yeah garibaldi was great. jacob carter was in an episode of b5 and weyoune from ds9 was in another heh. I always found it cool how they all apear on different shows.

Lets see off the top of my head.... Jeff Combs was in Voyager, DS9, Enterprise and B5.

Lexa Doig was in Andromeda and SG-1 as were Michael Shanks, Chris Judge, Steve Bacic and Don Davis.

Also Michael Hogan from BSG was on Andromeda as well.

Lexa and Michael met and fell in love on Andromeda.  Oddly enough they both played ships avatars that fell for each other.  They played opposite each other again on another episode after they were married.  The last episodes of Andromeda you'll notice that Lexa had some *very* nice ta-ta's.  She and Micheal had their first child during that time.

Geek bonus points:  In SG-1 the actress that played Sha're (Daniel's wife) was married to Michael at the time.

Link Posted: 9/11/2010 12:10:45 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

All ten season are on Hulu, and it'd only take about a week to power through them.

NetFlix too.  Last 2 of SG-1 and all of Atlantis and SGU are in HD. (I'm doing Atlantis right now)  

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top