Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#1]
ESPN seems good. Plus, it's different. I really liked Stat-Tracker too, so if ESPN has that for free than that gets my vote single-handedly. Is the scoring all the same as Yahoo? Cause our system was great last year...

A gift card is a pretty good idea. The Wal-Mart gift-card is a good idea.

Would we all just send the money to Wobblin through mail or something? And if we were gonna do the gift card idea, he could just go out to one of those stores and buy the gift-card, and then do what you guys wanted to with the leftovers...
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Guys, I'm not driving 200 miles to the nearest Cabellas to get a gift card.

Here are some points I'd like you guys to look over. Post your opinions on them so we can nail down the particulars and get this thing up and running.

1. ESPN premium league

2. 12 teams max, four teams make the playoffs

3. $25 buy-in, $10 refund upon successful completion of season

4. If everyone gets the refund, that leaves $180 for a kitty, here are my suggested prizes: 3rd and 4th place (the two playoff teams that lose their playoff game) each get $15 gift cards to Wal-Mart, 2nd place (championship game loser) gets $50 gift card, and 1st place (champion) gets $100 gift card

5. First three rounds are by auction/bid process two days before online draft. Each owner gets 50 draft points and may spend them any way he sees fit on three players. Each owner submits initial bid by noon via IM to commissioner. Any ties will necessitate the affected owners to re-submit new bids on three players again, not just the one player who  had two identical bids on him. Commissioner will either write-in the results of the auction or instruct owners to abide by the results of the auction for the first three rounds, from round four on it's business as usual and you can draft who you like.

6. We play for fun and we play to win. Anything that jeopardizes either (or hurts the integrity of our league) may/will result in some form of punishment. Leaving a player in who is on a bye week may result in forfeiting your refund. Doing it twice may lead to bannination. If you do roster changes that has the appearance of "tanking" it, you could also see one or both of the punishments as well.

Anything I miss?
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Everything is fine by me. How exactly is this auction going to work? Are you just going to select random players and we're going to auction for them? Or is whoever's turn it is in the draft, they will select a player they want for how much they want them for, and other people can counter-offer them?
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 12:28:37 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Everything is fine by me. How exactly is this auction going to work? Are you just going to select random players and we're going to auction for them? Or is whoever's turn it is in the draft, they will select a player they want for how much they want them for, and other people can counter-offer them?

We are working that out now.

Perhaps as Big_Bear suggested we could have an open auction for a 24 hour period two days before the online draft. You make bids via posting in a dedicated thread and at the end of the 24hr period the auction closes. Everybody sees each bid for each player and can make updated bids if they see fit.

Does this sound good?

ETA: I said "24hrs" to allow plenty of time for people to make counter bids. Time isn't really an issue with the auction...the draft points are.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Couple of things...

1. The gift card breakdown is fine. Walmart works and most of them do have gun stuff and if your not into that you can certinaly find anything else you'd want there too.

2. The auction....how do we determine what each player is worth? Are there categories or do we just put our own value on and if there are 2 owners going after the same player whoever has the higher auction amount for that player wins rights?

example...I send you an IM with Tomlinson for 35 auction points, Maverick sends you one with the same player -LT- but willing to spend 40 points on him. He would win right?
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
2. The auction....how do we determine what each player is worth? Are there categories or do we just put our own value on and if there are 2 owners going after the same player whoever has the higher auction amount for that player wins rights?

example...I send you an IM with Tomlinson for 35 auction points, Maverick sends you one with the same player -LT- but willing to spend 40 points on him. He would win right?

See my last post. Perhaps an open, live type of auction is best, as Big_Bear suggested.

This way everybody can see who has placed what bids on which players. It's up to you to beat the bid or let the player go.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 12:39:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 1:48:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm all for the Live Auction. Where would he hold it, though? I think it will get a little too crazy if we keep posting here on AR.

I know of a program called mIRC. It's a chatting thing where you can host your own chat and what not. It's pretty simple. So if no one has any other suggestions, I could try and get that set up for us so that it's just a live chat for us to hold the auction.

Edit: Worst case if I find out it costs money to host one, I'll just join this one I know of that is never used.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 2:31:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Big_Bear, what do you think of my idea to have a 24hr open auction right here in the Sports forum?

It'd be simple and pretty impossible to screw up. Just post your three guys and the draft points you want to bid for each one. If someone else is outbidding you for one of the players, you can keep bidding until everyone else stops bidding on him or the 24hr window closes.

Again, about as simple as a shovel.

I like that idea.

Anyway, I say we open an official topic at least, getting the 12 actual people that are going to make all these ideas happen.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 2:37:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 9:48:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 10:29:08 PM EDT
[#13]
We could have a separate thread for each of the players we were bidding on.

As long as we get this show on the road, we could keep bidding open for quite a while.

No need for a 15 minute rule- when bidding stalls, every 8-12 hours the commish could post a going once, twice, then sold.  You would have a minimum 24 hours notice before bidding closed on a player.

It's not like the sports forum gets used for anything else.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 2:26:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So far we have:

Sandman67
Maverick91
DontShootMyDog
Wobblin-Goblin
fsk1290
civprod
flannagan_bryan
Big_Bear
Nuts & Bolts (my friend from work)

3 more and we can get this thing started.

WG, you wanna start collecting the money? Paypal okay?

Sorry, Big_Bear, no paypal.

Here's what we can do. Let's pass the word around and try to find another three guys. I can now start accepting buy-in fees, but only in check form. IM me for my address. If this isn't palatable, perhaps Big_Bear will agree to do all the money handling (I would prefer someone else to do this anyway). If B_B doesn't want to do the money changing and you guys want to go ahead with sending $25 checks to me, we can open our "registration" period starting now and close it in a few days or so.

Word of caution: I will be away from Thursday to Sunday this week.

Once all the team slots are accounted and paid for, we can open bidding on players. To keep it on track, we can start the auction by starting a separate thread for each player and I will state the APPROXIMATE time period for his auction in that thread. I say "approximate" to give plenty of time to work out your bids, but no fixed deadline to allow for auction sniping right at the end.

Again, perhaps Big_Bear will agree to assume our financial secretary duties, as this will help lighten the load a little bit and provide more flexibility for you guys in terms of methods of payment (I will only accept checks via snail mail).
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 2:27:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
We could have a separate thread for each of the players we were bidding on.

As long as we get this show on the road, we could keep bidding open for quite a while.

No need for a 15 minute rule- when bidding stalls, every 8-12 hours the commish could post a going once, twice, then sold.  You would have a minimum 24 hours notice before bidding closed on a player.

It's not like the sports forum gets used for anything else.

I like your idea and plan on implementing it. This way auction sniping won't happen.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 3:47:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Regarding the auction: What if I use all my auction money on my first pick or first two picks? What happens with the rest of them that we do with the auction - since I have no cash left?
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 3:57:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Regarding the auction: What if I use all my auction money on my first pick or first two picks? What happens with the rest of them that we do with the auction - since I have no cash left?

Since the first three rounds are by auction, if you have no cash left by pick three you cannot make a bid and cannot draft in that round.

Atleast save $1 and hope nobody outbids you.

(I wouldn't do this if I were you)
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 4:02:19 AM EDT
[#18]
If BB doesn't have the time, I will offer to take over the financial duties for the league. I have paypal so I can take that as well as check and money order. Paypal will charge a fee for all payments made through them though.

Link Posted: 8/6/2007 4:27:21 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Well, I think you could probably get lots of guys with no bids against you for a buck.

Championship guys.
Chris Leak

or

Troy Smith

2 for a dollar!
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 4:29:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Now that I'm league commissioner...does this mean I can't talk smack to you losers anymore?

Link Posted: 8/6/2007 4:42:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 4:43:40 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
do trades have to be approved by the rest of the league or is it open trading

Have to be approved.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 5:08:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I like the auction format, I am just kind of curious how it will work out.  As others have pointed out, you have to have the ability to retract bids or reduce bids if there is more than one auction going on which could make things a little more difficult.  Unfortunately, the only other alternative is to only have bidding on one player at a time which would take awhile to complete depending on the timeline.

Will each person in the league have 3 opportunities (1 per round) to name players to be auctioned?

ETA: How is the scoring set up?  
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 5:20:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 5:57:06 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I like the auction format, I am just kind of curious how it will work out.  As others have pointed out, you have to have the ability to retract bids or reduce bids if there is more than one auction going on which could make things a little more difficult.  Unfortunately, the only other alternative is to only have bidding on one player at a time which would take awhile to complete depending on the timeline.

Will each person in the league have 3 opportunities (1 per round) to name players to be auctioned?

OK, I can see how this is getting complicated. We need to simplify. Realistically, we can figure on all teams being bought-in by Monday the 13th, right? If that's the case, we could take two weeks to complete the auction, although I wish we could do much, much faster than that. We don't want to have the online draft too soon due to preseason injuries and such, so late August or very early September is the best time for a draft. That gives us time, so keep up the ideas on how to make this auction go smoothly.

Normal leagues are 10yds/1pt for RBs and WRs, and 25yds/1pt for QBs (passing).

No points for carries/receptions.

Etc, etc.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:14:37 AM EDT
[#26]
As last year's league champion, I am reserving my spot in this year's league, but waiting to see final format/rules before commiting 100%.

It seems to be getting a little complicated compared to last year.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:21:59 AM EDT
[#27]

Now that I'm league commissioner...does this mean I can't talk smack to you losers anymore?

Hell no!  

Bring it!  

we can always impeach you down the road  
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:25:57 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
As last year's league champion, I am reserving my spot in this year's league, but waiting to see final format/rules before commiting 100%.

I was wondering when you were going to show!

The auction seems to be the only thing that people don't understand clearly. It seems like it's just the same as last year though except we're gambling now, and of course, the auction. I believe the scoring and thus are the same...I hope.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:25:58 AM EDT
[#29]

The only thing sounding complicated is getting the draft worked out. Once the details are worked out the actual draft should be very smooth. Don't sweat it. I want another crack at your ass this year

As far as being a pay league, that is non-negotiable and we all prettyy much agreed on that last year, so hopefully your ok with that?
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:27:34 AM EDT
[#30]

except we're gambling now

It's only gambling if there's money involved. It's a pay league with gifts for the winner.

Got it?

Good!

Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:33:18 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

There are only three differences between last year and this year that I know of:

1. Pay league: No big deal and how complicated is it to write a check and put it in the mail?

2. Different commissioner: I can see no complications with this as Big_Bear and I pretty much have the exact same ideas and styles.

3. Proposed auction for 1st three rounds: Sounds more complicated, but only because we haven't nailed down the particulars yet. I see this being ironed out soon and I'm pretty sure it'll be quite simple in operation. If by some very small chance we can't figure it out, we scrap it and go with a traditional draft. Again, no biggee.

Now, commit your ass.

ETA: There is a fourth change, we will be using ESPN's FREE premium package.

Link Posted: 8/6/2007 6:47:06 AM EDT
[#32]
I just registered at ESPN.com. When things get a little more solidified here I will set up the league.

For some reason the site won't let me "sign in" even though I have successfully registered.

OK, I've tried a bunch of different things to sign in, from having them send me my member name and password and none of it works...but I successfully registered and got the confirmatory e-mail with my member name and password.

Every time I try to sign in, it fails to do so.

Link Posted: 8/6/2007 7:01:14 AM EDT
[#33]
I just signed up as well and I can't sign in either. It welcomed me and had me signed in automatically but after I got out and tried to go back in -no good. Maybe it's just a hiccup with their system right now.

I had to register as SandmanAR15
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 7:10:33 AM EDT
[#34]
I can sign in succesfully each time. I registered as Vigorous91.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 7:41:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#36]
I've been registered at ESPN.com for years now.  If you need any help setting up the league or anything and you continue to have problems let me know and I will help however I can.  It probably would be a good idea to try to grab a draft time soon if we are going to do any form of a live draft just because it is alot harder to get good times once the season gets closer as I am sure you know.

Back to scoring briefly, is it 6 points per rushing/passing/receiving TD scored or do quarterbacks get like 4 points for throwing a TD?  I have seen it done both ways.

Link Posted: 8/6/2007 9:44:30 AM EDT
[#37]
All TDs are six points.
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 10:50:20 AM EDT
[#38]
I have read all the posts and I'm still in.  Tell me where to go to sign up on ESPN.  I'm already a registered user there, but how do I join "our" league???

IM me a link if you don't want to put it here......

Also, someone IM me the address to send the dough to.

Suggestion:  Now that the money stuff is figured out, gift card...etc.... lets not talk about it anymore...... just let it be or use email to discuss...... keep it off the boards.

We should probably let this thread die and start a new one to discuss future goings on of the league..... just a suggestion.......  
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 11:41:48 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
i will burn the bodies,

I don't normally talk smack, but what the heck...

You'll be burning the bodies of your players after you run into the Tangy Tangerines
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#41]
I must admit those tangerine guys sound really scary.........
Link Posted: 8/6/2007 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

No need for retractions

If you're high bidder, don't exceed the 50 points

IE, if you've got bids on LT and LJ at $20 each, and you are currently winning said auctions, don't bid more than $10 on anyone else.

We can have several players going at once, starting from the top of ESPNs rankings, going down.

We're making this more compliated than it has to be.

And besides, if we completely fuck it up, we have time to flush it, and go with a conventional autodraft.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 3:37:10 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
No need for retractions

If you're high bidder, don't exceed the 50 points

IE, if you've got bids on LT and LJ at $20 each, and you are currently winning said auctions, don't bid more than $10 on anyone else.

We can have several players going at once, starting from the top of ESPNs rankings, going down.

We're making this more compliated than it has to be.

And besides, if we completely fuck it up, we have time to flush it, and go with a conventional autodraft.

I think that there is a need for retractions for this reason:

There are multiple auctions going on, you have bid $20 on LT and $20 on LJ.  That means you have $10 of course.  Well someone else bids $30 on LT and you really want him.  Unless you have the ability to retract bids then you don't have the ability to bid $31 on LT.

Auction leagues typically go one player at a time.  I have no problem trying to do multiple players at the same time but there needs to be some ability to change bids if you want to increase your bid on one player and that money is already bid on another.  That way no one is precluded from further bidding on a player by the fact that they put in a bid on another player that they may not want more.  

I know that there is the possibility that they could just not put in the bid on the other player they may not want as much, but if they wait for the bidding to be over on the player they want just so they have their full resources available, the bidding on the other player may close before they have a chance.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 5:25:00 AM EDT
[#44]

Just as a side note if we do an autodraft I'll be fuckin' pissed.  I hate those things.  They are for dolts who didn't wanna put in the real effort of making a real team.

Autodraft =

Link Posted: 8/7/2007 5:58:38 AM EDT
[#45]
Guys, I am fully expecting atleast    the top ten FF players to be auctioned one at a time, not all at the same time. We'll do perhaps two per day with no set time limit. Each one will get atleast four or five hour bid windows and then when the bids slow, I will close the bidding and the highest at that point will win. This way bid sniping will be next to impossible.

ETA: BTW, I hate autodrafts, too. There will be no autodraft. If the auction flops (and I seriously doubt it will), then we will resort to a simple traditional online live draft.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 6:49:20 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Guys, I am fully expecting atleast    the top ten FF players to be auctioned one at a time, not all at the same time. We'll do perhaps two per day with no set time limit. Each one will get atleast four or five hour bid windows and then when the bids slow, I will close the bidding and the highest at that point will win. This way bid sniping will be next to impossible.

ETA: BTW, I hate autodrafts, too. There will be no autodraft. If the auction flops (and I seriously doubt it will), then we will resort to a simple traditional online live draft.

Great this seems to solve most of my concerns.  It is also great news about the auto-draft because I also hate those things.  I always end up with an unbalanced team that I would never have selected myself.

Finally, I know that there is still time, but would it be possible to IM (I assume) the address to people where payment is to be sent so I can get that in the mail.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 8:52:54 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Sounds good. When do we want to start this?

Have we decided on the money holder?
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Before we start, we need to settle on the money holder. My first choice is B_B obviously because he was commish last year. If he falls through, you have volunteered in a previous post and we will move to option B.

After that is taken care of, we all send our $25 in, and then set up the auction draft and complete that.
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 9:14:20 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Before we start, we need to settle on the money holder. My first choice is B_B obviously because he was commish last year. If he falls through, you have volunteered in a previous post and we will move to option B.

After that is taken care of, we all send our $25 in, and then set up the auction draft and complete that.

Sounds like a plan. Just need to hear from BB and we're good to go.  
Link Posted: 8/7/2007 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Just to make things for certain, we are sending the $25 through mail, cash or check. Correct?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top