Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:51:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Rumor has it Leon Czolgosz spent the extra pennies for a chrome finished revolver to shoot McKinley with because he "thought it would look good in a museum."
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:01:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I don't agree that the Hillside Strangler's Dan Wesson should be melted down or destroyed.

I see it as just a gun that happened to be owned by a nutcase,  but wasn't used in any crimes he committed.

To me, its market value is exactly what a Dan Wesson .357 of that type and condition is normally worth.  I would buy it for that much, and sell it for that much,  not more.

It's a "BFD" gun to me.  (Big Freaking Deal. )

CJ

I don't agree that it should be destroyed either.

Might as well destroy an arfcom members John Wayne Gacy paintings because they were created by a sick murderer.

For that matter, lets melt every firearm posted in this thread.

Destroying the objects that belonged to a murderer doesn't help anything. Just makes people feel better about themselves.

How righteous.

It would certainly make me feel better destroying weapons owned by someone who raped and murdered children, rather than seeing them being offered for sale at an asking price of $89,000 like they are some kind of "valuable souvenirs."

If you would enjoy collecting that kind of stuff, I guess that's your business.

history is history,, both good and bad.. to destroy those pieces of history is a greater crime than anything else..we keep these pieces of history as lessons to not repeat it
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:51:46 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee8/Triumph955i/pistol1b.jpg

Best use of a pistol in American history.

It's always nice to hear from a sore loser and advocate of murdering  an unarmed man by shooting him in the back of the head. That's the kind of coward you look up to huh ?

They still shoot political opponents in the back of the head in the PRC. Maybe you would be happier there ?

There are over 600,000 reasons Lincoln was a thug that needed to go.[:// Lincoln was no great president, he played dirty, its only because he won that he wasn't remembered for what he was.

Assassinating political leaders goes hand in hand with lynching and slavery. It doesn't surprise me that a supporter of one wouldn't support the other. It's predictable really.

It's disgusting, but predictable.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:58:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I see where you're coming from, but you wouldn't want a K98 with original markings in your house?

I see a difference between a weapon used in war, and something which was a personal possession/tool of someone as sick and evil as a serial killer.  Killing isn't always wrong, but I don't want something closely associated w/ evil.  

What about a P-38, PP, PPK, Luger, or Mauser used by a Nazi officer to personally execute dozens of jews?

I don't collect any of those.  I do have some old military rifles, and an pistol or two, but I don't collect NAZI stuff.  It's always possible I could end up w/ something like that, but I'll avoid it if I can.  

I've been on a tour of at Dachau, and it's far from being one of the worst camps.  From what I understand it was a concentration camp, not a death camp.  Even w/ that distinction there is a sick feeling to the place.  I saw the place where they say the officers used prisoners for target practice.  I looked at the ovens where they burned the bodies.  We wandered through the rebuilt bunk houses.  That place gave me the creeps.  I don't want something associated w/ that kind of activities in my house or possession.  So yes, I don't want stuff which was used for mass murders of any type, but combat is not murder. (MO)
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:30:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Who knows what this is?

www.celtictexas.com/IMG_6595w.jpg

Jack Ruby?

Thats what I think too.

i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee8/Triumph955i/jack-ruby-shoots-oswald.jpg

Swindle1984, that's some of the funniest shit I've seen here.  Did you photoshop this?  Great stuff!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:51:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/38/Steripicupload.jpg/300px-Steripicupload.jpg

Who knows this one

Well its a S&W No# 3. Billy the Kid? John Wesley Hardin?

Led to one of our greatest presidents. Its actually an Iver Johnson copy of the S&W

Attempt on Teddy Roosevelt?

McKinley

Teddy was never shot while President, Mckinley, Regan, and Bobby Kennedy were all shot with 22lr.  Regan and Booby with 22lr revolvers made by Iver Johnson, McKinley I don't know.

What I read is that McKinley was shot with a .32 cal. revolver.  Not a .22LR.
But historians have a real knack for misidentifying firearms.  I have read that the Archduke Ferdinand and his wife Sofie were shot with a Colt Model of 1903 and also that they were shot with a Colt Model of 1900.  I believe that they were shot with the 1903 as pictured earlier on in this thread.  One very good history of WWI describes the handgun used as a "revolver".

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:58:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
world.guns.ru/handguns/browning_1910.jpg

Browning M1910,  .380

Used to take out Archduke Franz Ferdinand, heir to the Austrian empire, and his wife in Sarajevo, 1914.  It started a war, or something.

- BG

It did start a war however it took 3 trys to do it. The gun misfired 2 times. The duke's driver took a wrong turn and they met the assasin walking away from the parade route.
Bang the duke was shot. Unfortunately according to medical historyians the duke could have survived but the driver took the longest route to the hospital because he did not know the city.

The gun didn't misfire at all. He fired three shots, hitting the archduke and his wife. The wife died almost immediately. The driver asked Ferdinand if he was hurt and Ferdinand, holding his wife, quietly replied "it's nothing" and bled out on the way.

And the assassin got lucky because he ran into his target entirely by random chance.

The Archduke was shot in the neck and bled out.  Ditto for Sofie who was shot in the femoral artery.

The assassination was arguably THE most successful terrorist attack in modern history.  The ultimate goal being the creation of a greater "Southern Slavia" uniting all the slav people of the southern Balkans under Serbia and the destruction of the hated Austro-Hungarian Empire under Hapsburg rule..  Well, after WWI was over, Yugoslavia (Southern Slavia) was indeed created and lead by the dictator Tito.  The Hapsburg Empire was also consigned the to dustbin of history.

Link Posted: 7/25/2008 5:28:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Mannlicher-Carcano used by Oswald in the Kennedy Assassination.

i101.photobucket.com/albums/m70/jcast141/cronp9.jpg

What about the two at the grassy knoll???

Link Posted: 7/25/2008 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee8/Triumph955i/pistol1b.jpg

Best use of a pistol in American history.

It's always nice to hear from a sore loser and advocate of murdering  an unarmed man by shooting him in the back of the head. That's the kind of coward you look up to huh ?

They still shoot political opponents in the back of the head in the PRC. Maybe you would be happier there ?

There are over 600,000 reasons Lincoln was a thug that needed to go.[:// Lincoln was no great president, he played dirty, its only because he won that he wasn't remembered for what he was.

Assassinating political leaders goes hand in hand with lynching and slavery. It doesn't surprise me that a supporter of one wouldn't support the other. It's predictable really.

It's disgusting, but predictable.

I never said anything about supporting the South, they were just as hypocritical as the North. You can't fight for state's rights by condemning an entire race of people to shackles. Lincoln was a thug, and his death is no cause for grief in my eyes. He sent hundreds of thousands to die, there's no justice in that.
Link Posted: 7/25/2008 5:53:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Beltway Snipers: Bushmaster XM15-E2S

Son of Sam: Charter Arms .44Spec
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anyone know the firearms that were used in famous crimes?

I'm curious what James Earl Ray used to assassinate MLK.

Remington 760 in 30-06.

ARE YOU SURE??
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Link Posted: 8/8/2008 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
world.guns.ru/handguns/browning_1910.jpg

Browning M1910,  .380

Used to take out Archduke Franz Ferdinand, heir to the Austrian empire, and his wife in Sarajevo, 1914.  It started a war, or something.

- BG

It did start a war however it took 3 trys to do it. The gun misfired 2 times. The duke's driver took a wrong turn and they met the assasin walking away from the parade route.
Bang the duke was shot. Unfortunately according to medical historyians the duke could have survived but the driver took the longest route to the hospital because he did not know the city.

If I remember didn't they have trouble removing his uniform becuase he was sewn into it so it looked perfect?
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 7:23:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yamamoto.
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 7:35:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Patton
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 7:51:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Patton

i dont think his car accident qualifies as an "assassination"

good call though
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Everyone knows IKE had Patton whacked....

Link Posted: 8/8/2008 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mannlicher-Carcano used by Oswald in the Kennedy Assassination.

i101.photobucket.com/albums/m70/jcast141/cronp9.jpg

What about the two at the grassy knoll???

www.pipelinenews.org/images/CheyTac408.jpg

I agree with the others, I would never own anything used for evil, I don't like being reminded of it.
A gun used for good is another story.
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#21]
This one is just a suspect:
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 8:14:50 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Bizzare backwards hammer, flintlock, fancy European engraving, poorly designed grip... Definitely German, I'd say late 1600's. Don't have a clue who it could have been used to assassinate though, since there was kinda a lot of that going around then.

Based on its lack of frizzen and the weird circular thing under the little pan where the flint seems to fall, I think that's a wheellock firearm.

According to wikipedia, the flintlock was introduced around 1630 and rapidly replaced the match- and wheellocks then in use.

~BakerMike
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 8:37:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I read somewhere or heard on TV that GWB has Saddam's pistol from when Saddam was captured in his spider hole thing.

ETA: Here is a link
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn82/Taipan01/xp100ab.jpg

Fireball .221?

According to a vid I have around here somewhere some old ex con said he shot Kennedy with that from the storm drain.
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 8:46:54 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn82/Taipan01/xp100ab.jpg

Fireball .221?

According to a vid I have around here somewhere some old ex con said he shot Kennedy with that from the storm drain.

Close. Fireball .221 is one of the calibers it was chambered for. It's a Remington XP-100, the suspected Grassy Knoll gun.
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 8:50:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/38/Steripicupload.jpg/300px-Steripicupload.jpg

Who knows this one

Led to one of our greatest presidents. Its actually an Iver Johnson copy of the S&W

McKinley

Teddy was never shot while President, Mckinley, Regan, and Bobby Kennedy were all shot with 22lr.  Regan and Booby with 22lr revolvers made by Iver Johnson, McKinley I don't know.

I had no idea, EBRs my ass ban .22lr...its for the politicians
Link Posted: 8/9/2008 2:44:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who knows this one

McKinley

I had no idea, EBRs my ass ban .22lr...its for the politicians

Most high-profile assassinations (or attempted assassinations) have, historically, been committed with small-caliber pistols, usually revolvers.
Link Posted: 8/9/2008 2:46:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I always like this one from the reagan attempt

www.machinegundealer.com/Reagan_Assassination%20attempt.jpg

SS isn't fucking around, GET SOME!!!!!!

Look at the empty suit case on the ground with the cut outs for an Uzi.

Link Posted: 8/10/2008 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.needmoregifts.com/img/mzlo1529-2.jpg

Bizzare backwards hammer, flintlock, fancy European engraving, poorly designed grip... Definitely German, I'd say late 1600's. Don't have a clue who it could have been used to assassinate though, since there was kinda a lot of that going around then.

A wheellockpistol was used to assassinate William I of the Netherlands on July 10 1584.

If Wikipedia has the facts straight of course.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_the_Silent#Assassination
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 6:54:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 7:06:14 AM EDT
[#33]
while it isn't the exact gun it was used in an assasination but guess who and no he wasn't a US citizen

Link Posted: 8/24/2008 7:23:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Isn't that the Charter arms that was used in the attempt on George Wallace?
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 8:20:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Sadat for the above AK.
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#36]
I think this killed a television set.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top