BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:07:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
My personal experiance with GE would be 4 brand new appliances. The plastic molded liner inside my refrigerator split wide open and GE refused to honnor their warrenty as it was "cosmetic". Then the dishwash pump started acting up. To this day if I shut the water off in the house I have to prime the dish washer or the pump will just grind. The oven has a new broiler heater and the microwave is slowly loosing power.
Mind you this is their second from the top line of appliances.

I will not buy from GE again because like most American companies the warranty or customer service does not compete with the other brands from around the world.

Well, since their dishwasher sucks, their nuclear power plants probably do, too.

For fucks sake, people.

Never said that....But I don't disagree that GE sucks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:08:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/03/13/6256121-general-electric-designed-reactors-in-fukushima-have-23-sisters-in-us

Well, now it's all starting to make sense!

Nuke plants designed by liberals = eventual failure ..... like all things designed by liberals.

It took an 8.9 quake and a 30' tsunami to bring them down...I would not consider that failed....IMHO.

They were supposedly designed to be fail-safe for just that very eventuality. The fact that it was the simplest of things that failed (e.g. pumps, back-up generators) tells me there was more salesmanship than engineering in those things ......... like most things that come out of GE.

The region got smacked by the fist of God, try designing something that can withstand that and get back to us.

Oh, the core of the plants (pun intended) certainly withstood the quake.  As far as I know none of the  buildings sustained damage from the tremor itself.  But it seems that the back-up stuff was added on as an afterthought.

It is fairly obvious you have never done an ounce of engineering in your life, and that you simply want to ding GE for being a 'liberal company'

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:13:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/03/13/6256121-general-electric-designed-reactors-in-fukushima-have-23-sisters-in-us

Nuke plants designed by liberals = eventual failure ..... like all things designed by liberals.

The stupidity in this statement is embarrassing, and a disgrace to this forum.  That is all.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Some suggested reading on the requirements set forth for nuclear plants:  10CFR50.  Hopefully this will filter out some of the derp.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Holy shit, that's a lot of stupid posts in here.

First off, of course they are GE designs. GE was the orginator of BWR commercial reactors. And just what do you know about other GE products? Their jet engines are fantastically powerful and reliable. But your experience extends to lightbulbs and toasters.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:20:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There seems to be a growing hatred of large corporations here on Arfcom.  Where the hell does this come from?

Retardation.  

I blame it on flourinated water.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

So build a better, tusnami-proof one and make a profit.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
There seems to be a growing hatred of large corporations here on Arfcom.  Where the hell does this come from?

Retardation.  

Fluoridated?

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:30:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Being mad at Liberals is completely appropriate when many people have died, or lost their homes.

You should direct your anger to whatever deity controls earthquakes.

It was Green Berets this time, they were ordered by Palin and Cheney
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Some suggested reading on the requirements set forth for nuclear plants:  10CFR50.  Hopefully this will filter out some of the derp.

Not unless you got a comic book version.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:34:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Holy shit, that's a lot of stupid posts in here.

First off, of course they are GE designs. GE was the orginator of BWR commercial reactors. And just what do you know about other GE products? Their jet engines are fantastically powerful and reliable. But your experience extends to lightbulbs and toasters.

GE's engines power most of our modern military aircraft still in the inventory.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Retardation.  

Fluoridated?

Forget it. He's rolling.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:40:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The event that caused these failures is epic in scale and could not be reproduced or even contemplated in any design environment.  Can you fathom the amount of energy needed to move that volume of water over that area at that velocity and duration?  Even the best estimates say this is at least a 9.0 quake, but the recorders didnt function correctly from some reports.  As far as we know this could be the most powerful episode in recorded history.

That the reactors are still able to contain the fuel is a testament to the design.  Had this been a differnt part of the world we all would be in ourt houses waiting on the fallout and radiation from third world nuke plants ejecting massive quanities of radiation into the atmosphere simultaneously.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:48:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This thread has dumb so thick you could cut it with a knife!

Maybe GE built the containment vessel for stupid.

They did.

It's called General Discussion.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:50:44 AM EDT
[#15]
GE....great expectations.....just what you'd expect from Genital Erectdic !!!  
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I wonder if GE will get the same as BP?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I wonder if GE will get the same as BP?

I've already made a shitload of money on their stock, I hope it does crash again so I can make some more.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sorry, the plants were designed by engineers.  Smart ones.

I suppose the eventuality of a never seen before earthquake and tsunami should have been planned for.

I guess the next generation of Nukes will need to be survivable by a meteor strike.  The problem is, can is it ok if we DON"T Build it to the point it could survive an Earth killer meteor?

TXL
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:57:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Unfailr characterization.

30-40 yo designs that were severally tested by a 8.9 quake and a tsunami.

That they actually survived to his point tells you they were well built.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:57:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

It comes from government and corporations colluding to circumvent free markets and individual liberty.  It is a branch of fascism.

VTHokie nails it on the head again.

As usual.

TXL
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#21]
GE makes some good things

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

It took an 8.9 quake and a 30' tsunami to bring them down...I would not consider that failed....

THIS

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Being mad at Liberals is completely appropriate when many people have died, or lost their homes.

I bet you are a liberal.

Sorry, but placing blame is appropriate when it is true.

Just blaming someone because they don't like x, y, or z, is a VERY leftist thought process.

TXL
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
LOL, just like the ETC Throttle Pedal that gave Toyota problems was from a US supplier.

Fuck GE.

sarcasm, right?

Please tell me this is not how you form your beliefs..

TXL
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:09:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It comes from government and corporations colluding to circumvent free markets and individual liberty.  It is a branch of fascism.

Why do so many "conservatives" fail to see this?

It is crony capitolism and destroys the free market system.  

Mega corporations do not believe in competition.

"Competition is a sin.”

John D. Rockefeller quote

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:10:28 AM EDT
[#26]
The earth shake brings all the haters to the yard.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:10:54 AM EDT
[#27]
The greenies say that a uranium reactor spiked with Plutonium (MOX FUEL)
is much more volitile and dangerous then a regular Urunium reactor.

Fukushima #3  was just such a reactor.    
Any who are knowledgeable know much about this?

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The greenies say that a uranium reactor spiked with Plutonium (MOX FUEL) is much more volitile and dangerous then a regular Urunium reactor.

Fukushima #3 was just such a reactor.

I am knowledgeable about greenies.  Therefore, my initial analysis is that they are full of shit.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:20:08 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

The greenies say that a uranium reactor spiked with Plutonium (MOX FUEL) is much more volitile and dangerous then a regular Urunium reactor.

found this from BBC (trying to verify original source)
As reported by the BBC:

Japanese engineer Masashi Goto, who helped design  the
containment vessel for Fukushima’s reactor core, says the design was not
 enough to withstand earthquakes or tsunamis and the plant’s builders,
Toshiba,  knew this.

Mr Goto says his greatest fear is that blasts at  number 3 and number
1 reactors may have damaged the steel casing of the  containment vessel
designed to stop radioactive material escaping into the  atmosphere.

He says that as the reactor uses mox (mixed oxide)  fuel, the melting
point is lower than that of conventional fuel. Should a  meltdown and
an explosion occur, he says, p lutonium could be spread over an area  up
to twice as far as estimated for a conventional nuclear fuel explosion.
The  next 24 hours are critical, he says.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:21:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

found this from BBC

As reported by the BBC:

Japanese engineer Masashi Goto, who helped design  the containment vessel for Fukushima’s reactor core, says the design was not  enough to withstand earthquakes or tsunamis and the plant’s builders, Toshiba,  knew this.

Mr Goto says his greatest fear is that blasts at  number 3 and number 1 reactors may have damaged the steel casing of the  containment vessel designed to stop radioactive material escaping into the  atmosphere.

He says that as the reactor uses mox (mixed oxide)  fuel, the melting point is lower than that of conventional fuel. Should a  meltdown and an explosion occur, he says, p lutonium could be spread over an area  up to twice as far as estimated for a conventional nuclear fuel explosion. The  next 24 hours are critical, he says.

What's the best round for radiation?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You have no idea what you are talking about.

Why don't you go back to your basement and continue playing xbox with your elementary school friends.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

found this from BBC

As reported by the BBC:

Japanese engineer Masashi Goto, who helped design  the containment vessel for Fukushima’s reactor core, says the design was not  enough to withstand earthquakes or tsunamis and the plant’s builders, Toshiba,  knew this.

Mr Goto says his greatest fear is that blasts at  number 3 and number 1 reactors may have damaged the steel casing of the  containment vessel designed to stop radioactive material escaping into the  atmosphere.

He says that as the reactor uses mox (mixed oxide)  fuel, the melting point is lower than that of conventional fuel. Should a  meltdown and an explosion occur, he says, p lutonium could be spread over an area  up to twice as far as estimated for a conventional nuclear fuel explosion. The  next 24 hours are critical, he says.

What's the best round for radiation?

an iodine round

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

It took an 8.9 quake and a 30' tsunami to bring them down...I would not consider that failed....IMHO.

They were supposedly designed to be fail-safe for just that very eventuality.  The fact that it was the simplest of things that failed (e.g. pumps, back-up generators) tells me there was more salesmanship than engineering in those things ......... like most things that come out of GE.

The region got smacked by the fist of God, try designing something that can withstand that and get back to us.

And so far, the cores themselves have.  It looks to me like the backup systems weren't engineered to survive that level of violence.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Nuclear plants are build using historical data from the area it will be placed.

And just so everyone knows, it most likely was the water that ruined everything.

Reports I have read indicated the emergency diesels where working fine and shut down.

Most than likely they hydrolock once the water flooded the plant, that's when shit really went wrong.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They were supposedly designed to be fail-safe for just that very eventuality. The fact that it was the simplest of things that failed (e.g. pumps, back-up generators) tells me there was more salesmanship than engineering in those things ......... like most things that come out of GE.

And so far, the cores themselves have. It looks to me like the backup systems weren't engineered to survive that level of violence.

It seems to me that this may have been the biggest earthquake in recorded history.  The reactors are still not in a FREE FOR ALL.  That to me is a testament to the design.  The biggest earthquake EVER followed by a monster Tsunami, and we are worried about cooling.  Good design!

Even if they do go into full, uncontrolled meltdown mode...the design was pretty damn good.  Sometimes, nature foils the best man has.  Chalk it up to fate, i say.  

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

So liberals made the earthquake?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Who would of ever thought a tsunami would follow a earthquake. Most unusual.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:36:05 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

You're right.  They should have built the whole plant on 200' tall earthquake proof stilts.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#39]
I've seen diesel back up generators in sealed concrete rooms with submarine type doors with remote radiators, some piped in cool air from above, long exhaust pipes and air intake snorkles.

So they could have done a better job getting the backup diesels up off the ground.  

On the other hand, have they released what killed the back up gensets?    Backup gensets are an absolute maintenance nightmare.   And with all the red tape that surrounds nuke plants, it's really hard to keep them properly maintained.  

I can't count how many times I've rushed to the jobsite for an emergency call, ready to save the day, only to have to wait at the gate.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

And on a 40 year design and life span.

Nuke plants don't have a "40 year life span". When they were first built, the AEC (now NRC) did not know how long to license them for, so they picked 40 years as a conservative value, and to re-evaluate after that. Just about every plant has gotten its license extended to 60 years, and may be able to go even longer after that depending on the condition of the vessel by that point.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:33:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
While we're at it, let's blame J.P. Morgan too!

Nah, she was really the only reason to watch the "Gong Show"...  
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:35:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, the core of the plants (pun intended) certainly withstood the quake.  As far as I know none of the  buildings sustained damage from the tremor itself.  But it seems that the back-up stuff was added on as an afterthought.

I suggest you just stop right now, before you begin to gag on your foot. You obviously have no clue what your talking about.
Yes I agree that the Japense should have designed the EDGs to be a bit more protected, but a 30ft tsunami washing thoguh the plant and pretty much all bets are off.
The safety systems were not an after thought and the reliability and redundancy is a lot higher that you can fathom. You just can't plan for everything.

The design basis for the plant was a 7.2 magnitude quake and 6.5 meter tsunami. The tsunami was 7.5 meters, which washed away the switchyard, above-ground diesel fuel tanks, and flooded the electrical switchgear room.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:41:31 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Only international corporations looking to usurp our US Constitution/Bors, undermine our sovereignty, erase our borders, enslave our children, fund our politicians into turning this nation into a  3rd world shithole
inhabited by functional idiots and party loyalists.

Mom and pop corporations are cool and the foundation of our economy.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#45]
The way I look at it. The plant did not fail because of damage caused during the earthquake but a result of the pumps being damaged by the tsunami swamping and knocking out the electric pumps and flooding the diesel backup pumps..

So how is GE responsible for this event?

The system survived a 8.9 magnitude quake that was 100 times larger than the the designed 7.0 safety limits.

How many of those ships that were picked up and tossed around like little plastic boats in a godzilla movie, had GE turbines or electric motors on board. Does that also make GE responsible for the demise of theose ships?

If you go by the logic of the OP.. All the homes that were destroyed by the tsunami was due to the fact that they all had GE lights in them failed and the house were lost.

Next the OP is going to tell us that A submarine with a GE electric Motor ran aground and caused the a 150 mile by 50 mile plate in the mantel to break off and cause the earthquake..

Pass the tinfoil please..

Dude.. Get real..
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

And on a 40 year design and life span.

And they were not engineered to survive an 8.9 quake or a 30' tsunami.  They were designed to survive a 7.9 quake.  If 8.9 had been the spec they would have survived.  Engineers can do anything - if you let them.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#47]
failed?  has the plant failed yet?  last I heard there wasn't a meltdown?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:51:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah, globalist entities want free and unfettered access to our resources and markets, that is what NAFTA, CAFTA and othe FTAs are. Our trading with the Chicoms is a perfect example of the fkt up shit that is in the future if we don't stop the unbalance in trade. If we don't stop them, they will change our laws like NAFTA and CAFTA did that will take away our BoRs.

When they get the economic advantage they want, they will implement a treaty that enforces draconian gun laws, and that will be just the beginning

Then it will be game over.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

First Post nails it again!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:56:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
LOL, just like the ETC Throttle Pedal that gave Toyota problems was from a US supplier.

Fuck GE.

And was also well overblown and mostly based on driver error.  If you have the time to call 911 to tell the police that your car's accelerator is stuck, then you have time to punch it out of gear, or turning the ignition off.

The true tragedy in all of this is that all the systems will (most likely) work as designed and contain the problem and it will still be spun as a 'failure' for nuclear power.

Sucks when non-technical people try to analyze engineered systems.  This is a once in 500 years worse case scenario and the Japanese are showing the world how a modern society ought to handle a crisis.

It will still be spun as a negative though.
My parents live near a nuke plant here in VA and my mom is all hand wringing over what might happen if something happens there.  Most people are clueless about the nuclear power and chemistry.  Most of which they "know" is based on Hollywood, fictitious novels, and the hysterical fear caused by not understanding something which really isn't complicated on the general level.

Yup, fictitious, like those 3 legged kids trying to run around what is left of Chernobyl

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top