Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:12:41 AM EDT
[#1]
The OP bought a Colt with a flaw on the receiver that does not affect functionality.  I understand why he would not be happy with that.  I looked at dozens of Colts before I bought mine.  There was always something I did not like about the specific specimen I was holding at the time that did not meet my expectations but would not affect functionality.  The one I bought is an excellent rifle.

A few years ago I bought one of the more expensive brands of ARs.  Cost me over $2K.  At the initial look it was a beautiful rifle.  When I got it home, I saw that there was a gap at the buffer area between the upper and lower that you could easily put a credit card into.  For that rifle to come through this company's vaunted QC was stunning.  A gap of that size would have allowed debris to easily enter.  I sent it back and a new upper was fitted, but the rifle was not a reliable shooter.  I got rid of it.

Colts is justifiably held accountible for beating the crap out of their merchandise before selling it.  But, of all the rifles I have ever used in the service and out, Colt is the only one that worked each and every time.

OP, send it back.  Get a new upper.  Then when it comes back fixed, enjoy the hell out of it.  There is nothing wrong with the design or the functionality.  If you decide that you just cannot abide a carbine length rifle, sell it to me.  I will take it and shoot it and enjoy the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Gov't sets specs.  Companies build rifles/items to those specs.  Cheapest company that can build to those specs and passes tests wins.

I'm a vet.  I don't own a Colt.  Not that they don't work fine, I never had any major problems with any M4's that weren't magazine related.  

Problem is, there are better mousetraps out there.  14.5 barrels should have a mid length gas system, if for nothing else, 2 extra inches of rail so you can get a real grip on the rifle....or they need to ditch non free floated 7" rails.

Hammer forged barrels are better for combat weapons.

Those are my two major issues with Colt or FN M4's.  They're fine for what they are, but I'll be damned if I spend 1400 dollars on a weapon "because its a colt" when there are plenty of other companies out there that make the rest of the components not mentioned above just as good as Colt, but offer better quality barrels, and proper length gas systems/handguards.

It makes it even worse when Colt makes the LE6920 with carbine gas systems and a 16" barrel...its just a fucking stupid setup, and there are inherently better setups available, regardless of cost.

So yes, you have a 1400 dollar rifle from a company that frankly doesn't care about you, or the appearance of their rifles, with features that are old and make no sense.  Better options out there, plain and simple.

View Quote

Sums it up pretty well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 10:48:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/762minigun/media/20130424_082143_zps12eb3e6d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/762minigun/20130424_082143_zps12eb3e6d.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/762minigun/media/20130424_105515_zps8307d72a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/762minigun/20130424_105515_zps8307d72a.jpg</a>

It's good OP.
View Quote

I like the cat fur option on that first one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
A few years ago I bought one of the more expensive brands of ARs.  Cost me over $2K.  At the initial look it was a beautiful rifle.  When I got it home, I saw that there was a gap at the buffer area between the upper and lower that you could easily put a credit card into.  For that rifle to come through this company's vaunted QC was stunning.  A gap of that size would have allowed debris to easily enter.  I sent it back and a new upper was fitted, but the rifle was not a reliable shooter.  I got rid of it.

Colts is justifiably held accountible for beating the crap out of their merchandise before selling it.  But, of all the rifles I have ever used in the service and out, Colt is the only one that worked each and every time.
View Quote

It's statements like this that make the "Colt Cult" so hard to swallow. Anyone with an average exposure to a variety of different firearms knows that remark is BS.  While reading this weeks " My Colt is fucked up" thread I wasn't going to comment till seeing the above remark.

To be honest, when I read the part about the "credit card" sized gap, I thought you were talking about a Colt. That gap doesn't affect a darn thing but other than my most recent Colt I had, the rest had a gap you could throw a cat through. lol! (And yes I know why)

As far as Colt finishes go OP. It is such common knowledge that its a roll of the dice what condition your rifle finish will be in if you buy a Colt unseen, that most have no sympathy for anyone that buys one anymore.

With all the better options available that offer performance and quality (wait for it) ...fit and finish,  (yes you can have both) don't come crying here with a beat up Colt and expect gasping sympathy. Take it to the Colt Industry forum. They will give you a boost and regale you with tales of weapon superiority and how fortunate you are, to get you feeling good again.

As far as Colt being the "only one that works each and every time"....pleease. Someone making such a statement either doesn't own or is not exposed to many firearms OR owns/ is exposed to a lot of shitty firearms.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#5]
If that was on the inside, I'd be concerned. Since its the outside its cosmetic. Should it have been blem-ed, possibly. But in all reality, that happens much more often then you think on forgings. There's a mark like that on the bottom of my ACOG, doesn't even phase me.

If you wanted a mil-spec, get it done rifle thats reliable, you got it.

If you wanted a pretty safe queen, well, go billet and don't fire it, don't breathe on it.

Make that your beater gun and run it, after 1200 rounds, your going to freak when your brass deflector shows aluminum and the hard-coat is gone.

Here's a list of things that we all want pretty, but in reality, are unobtainable.

-Race and Track cars
-Firearms that are actually used (like, do you run it weekly/bi weekly, or only 6 times a year)
-Girls of the night

There's more, but that's probably the first top three that come to mind in 5 minutes
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 1:37:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

--they don't sell Larue or Noveske ar15's at Walmart.
View Quote

They don't sell  Larue or Noveske rifles anywhere.

Nobody gives a shit about a company that makes like, seven rifles a year.

View Quote

Don't get upset that you bought your rifle at the same place I get my toilet paper.  If it'll make you feel better, my wife got a deal on her tampons at your LGS.
View Quote

LMFAO!!! If I had a team membership, I swear to God, that would be my sig line. +1 internets to you sir!
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 2:30:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/762minigun/media/20130424_082143_zps12eb3e6d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/762minigun/20130424_082143_zps12eb3e6d.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/user/762minigun/media/20130424_105515_zps8307d72a.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51/762minigun/20130424_105515_zps8307d72a.jpg</a>

It's good OP.
View Quote

I like the cat fur option on that first one.
View Quote

That's Colt factory fuzz! It's still stuck there.
View Quote

That came from the factory like that? Lol. I wonder what the hell it is?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:00:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like a void in the raw forging.

Later when it was machined out that void was still there.

It should have been a blem reject or something but Colt does not care as much on appearance.

While it looks bad it is cosmetic.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks bad but shouldn't cause any failures.

If it was mine I'd just be happy I got a KAC rail.
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:17:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Bad casting - makes me wonder why they even used it. Who knows where more voids might be in it?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like typical Colt to me.  I've seen worse come on brand new rifles.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 5:03:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't need to ask a veteran.

The military buys equipment made to a certain standard which can be mass produced to fulfill DoD contracts at a reasonable cost compared to its competitor of greater or equal quality.

Tell me when you see a soldier using a NCstar red dot. Or a USMC scout sniper using Bushnell.

No, they use $600 Aimpoints or $500 Eotechs and $4000 Schmidt & Bender PMII or $3500 Premier Heritage.

The military gets equipment for cheaper than civilian market because they buy so many and they are priority not because the gear is of poor quality.

Larue don't even make true mil spec 1913 rails on their rifle.

See, "Magpul: Art of the precision rifle" for reference. Travis Haley says his scope is canted as hell mounted on his 7.62 OBR.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Colt-- because no matter how flawed of a product they turn out, the fan boys on arfcom will still buy them because they are the mil standard.

Remember, the military contract has much less to do with quality than it does with the capacity to be able to fulfill the contract, and also being the lowest bidder.

Just sayin'...
View Quote

Yes, because Colt, Knight's Armament, H&K, Remington 700, Benelli M4, Surefire, Advanced Armament, Badger Ordnance, Schmidt & Bender, Premier Heritage, Leupold, Nightforce, Aimpoint, Eotech..................etc

Are all trash...

What kind of stupid statement is that..."The military doesn't care about quality it's about the lowest bidder", that's why SOCOM doesn't buy anything that doesn't past testing...

That's because Walmart wouldn't buy anything from a company who can't make enough of their product to fulfill orders...
View Quote

"SOCOM" and Wal-Mart do not have the same rifles.
View Quote

I wasn't saying SOCOM and Wal-Mart carry the same rifles...I was just pointing out his statement saying the military doesn't care about quality and just cost is flawed.
View Quote

Cost is a bigger determining factor than quality in most cases.  Just ask any veteran.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

At least it didnt come looking like this!

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x368/_ak_74_/shovel_ak/42.jpg
View Quote
For the love of big pillowy tits, what the fuck?

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 3:19:56 PM EDT
[#14]
This thread appears to have been heavily edited prior to being moved...
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#15]
This is the way they feed GD lol
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#16]
just go shoot a few thousand rounds through it already. Geez
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 3:37:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Don't get upset that you bought your rifle at the same place I get my toilet paper.  If it'll make you feel better, my wife got a deal on her tampons at your LGS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't sell  Larue or Noveske rifles anywhere.

Nobody gives a shit about a company that makes like, seven rifles a year.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#18]
It's a birthmark.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#19]
It'll blend in after being thrown down the driveway a few times.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 3:44:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View Quote
I was wondering why the hell it seemed so off.  Kind of a deja vu as I was reading it.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 3:48:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Union quality.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:00:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Colt ARs with a perfect finish are sold at the same gun shops that carry Glocks with flawlessly polished hot blued frames.

Have you ever seen what a few tours in the sandbox does to any weapon?  The military is most certainly not concerned about cosmetic imperfections, and as a taxpayer, I don't want them to be.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Edit, found it all on P 1
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:44:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 7:49:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It'll blend in after being thrown down the driveway a few times.
View Quote

No shit.

It's a friggin fighting tool, meant to be used hard, and get the shit beat out of it.

Go sign up for a good carbine class and use the damn thing.

If you wanted a proper representation of gunmakers art, Get ahold of Kreighof or Hollands.

If the Blem really, really bugs you, get out a can of BBQ Paint and spritz the whole thing.
That way the little booger blem will blend in.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#28]
So which one of the pretty rifle makers checks off all of the right checkboxes on the chart?

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:07:53 PM EDT
[#29]
If that were most other companies, it would be a blem for at least 10% off. They wouldn't sell it to their customers at full price like colt dun did.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Trade off and get mega arms
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Life is lots easier when you don't sweat the small shit.

The poster above is right.  Tactical carbines are not fine quality handcrafted guns to display on your mantle.

Shoot the hell out of it, and then get back to me if there is a problem with function.

I'm going to blow your mind here; my SCAR is three different shades of brown.

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Forging defect caused by debris in the forge.  Any other company would have rejected that, but you will try to justify it as a tier-1, operator only thing.
View Quote

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top