Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#1]
The spatial deficit rears it's pretty head once again.
Yes, they do drive like that.
I had one girlfriend who consistently lurched to a stop about one foot from the car in front.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I can't speed, so all I get to do is accelerate hard, brake hard, and turn fast...so that's what I do.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I wish it was 25ft.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:10:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I can't speed, so all I get to do is accelerate hard, brake hard, and turn fast...so that's what I do.

Can't speed, eh?

"I can't drive... FIFTY FIVE!"
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:13:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Yea, it annoys me too.  

But what really annoys me is when you pull up to a 4 way stop and someone who got there well before you sits and waits to make sure you stop before they go.  And that seems to be pretty much gender neutral.   I've almost hit a couple of these morons because they sit there so long I think they're parked or on the phone or something, so I go and then, after finally deciding that I'm really going to stop, they go too.  Idiots!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:13:33 AM EDT
[#6]
My wife, when stopped at a light and it turns green, will let the car in front of her get 2 to 3 car lengths start before she even starts to go.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:15:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
If I'm in a car I'm driving, that simple.

Cuts out a lot of headaches.

This. Went to Dallas and back to Dayton last month. Didn't let wife behind the wheel until somewhere in Illinois on the way back. From there to Dayton was more exhausting/stressful than the rest of trip combined.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Ex-gf doesn't use her blinker....EVER!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#9]
HA! I would have to say any woman I was in car with drove that way.
I live in a small town, stop sign almost every block; stomp on guess, slam on brakes, repeat, repeat...................................
Tried to explain wasted fuel, wear and tear.
I don't even bother anymore.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:21:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Ex-gf doesn't use her blinker....EVER!

What are those?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:22:11 AM EDT
[#11]
My wife is exactly the same. Obviously all these womenz have never changed their own brake pads.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Hell that's what brakes are for.  I'll throw on another set of pads.  A set of pads isn't that expensive.  I can't stand people who act like they are trying to dock an aircraft carrier every time they get to a stop sign.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hell that's what brakes are for.  I'll throw on another set of pads.  A set of pads isn't that expensive.  I can't stand people who act like they are trying to dock an aircraft carrier every time they get to a stop sign.

Or the ones that stop 3 times at a stop sign.........................

Slow, then stop about a car lenght from the stop sign, then roll forward to the stop line, then roll further forward 1/2-1 car lenght, to get a veiw of the road, stop again, look around...............

Stop once.

Another tip, if you are approaching a "yield" sign, start looking around BEFORE you get to the intersection, and determine if you will have to stop, slow, or can proceed, BEFORE you get to the intersection.

If you slow to 2 mph, then look around, at the intersection, then cipher on whether or not it's safe to go, you are doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've found that often if you slow down to a sensible speed and take it easy, you are still rolling as the light changes from red, to amber, to green and can just go straight on and accelerate. Much nicer than stop-start.

I drive a manual transmission, so I try to use engine braking to the fullest extent. Less wear and tear on the brakes, and I also don't race to a stoplight.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Design the traffic system as if 99.9% of the population drives manual transmissions so people don't have to keep coming to a complete stop for every stupid thing.

Except very few Americans know how to merge, and a very small percentage have manual transmissions...

Traffic Circles are a mess over here (we have them in Lacey/Olympia)

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'm willing to bet they don't let women drive M1 Abrams........

Women can't be combat arms period - has nothing to do with driving skills, and everything to do with the huge mess it would create WRT the culture & cohesiveness of the unit...
And if you're aggressive with the brakes on an Abrams, your turret crew will want to KILL you...
The M1 has brakes powerful enough to go from near full speed to STOP within 1 tank-length...
If the driver stomps the brakes, folks in the turret smack their heads on various things... Gunner and TC can end up with 'scope eye' from their face hitting the sights....

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:08:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
hell, we will be coming up on a red light and my GF will still be accelerating.  

My wife does this.

She is getting better though. I keep telling her that whenever she sees a stop sign coming up or red lights in front, to go ahead and take her foot off the gas.. She can always reengage the gas pedal if needed, but will not always be able to stop in time if she is doing 40+ up to the stop sign.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Quoted:
My wife and both my daughters are guilty of brake torture. Drives me absolutely insane. Dropped off my truck last night at the inlaws so they could use it this weekend . Hop in the passanger seat of the wife's car and off we go. First stop sign we come to it feels as if she is going to just blow through the damn thing. Then at seemingly the very last second she hits the brakes. In my head I am thinking  WTF.
Not that I have not seen this happen before but it had been a while since I have had to ride with her.
I just shook my head and let it go. Obviously the seemingly hundreds times of trying to explain to her over the years why driving like that is not only unsafe but it is EXTREMELY hard on the breaking system has not sunk in.

Also I see my daughters pull away from our house and it seems like as soon as they put it in drive they flat out just stomp on the gas pedal. I have told them also over and over to ease into the pedal save a little gas and wear and tear on the car. I dont say much to them about it anymore either. Get tired of hearing myself say the same shit over and over to them . Just to hear them say "oh ok"

It's faster.

Dropping the throttle and slowly decelerating takes up too much time. WFOT to the stop light / stop sign, slam on brakes. WFOT when it turns green or is clear to go.

New tires and new brakes will generally last 15k-20k miles in this type of driving scenario. If you don't drive too many miles, it's about even for those that log 30k miles a year. More highway driving is easier on your brakes and transmission. People that say they get 500k miles out of their car don't mention that 90% of it was done on highways where they may not have to touch the brakes for miles. In my after work commute, I could get by with using the brakes 3 times for the entire 20 mile trip!!

If you want to blame anything, blame the fucking politician and lawyer weenies that want STOP signs and multiple traffic lights. Take out all the unnecessary stop signs, put in YIELD signs, and replace busy intersections with properly designed traffic circles. BLUF: Design the traffic system as if 99.9% of the population drives manual transmissions so people don't have to keep coming to a complete stop for every stupid thing.

Yeah, but then people would actually have to LEARN how to properly drive...how and when to yield the right of way and when they would have the right of way...so on and so forth.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:12:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I found out my GF's too short to reach the pedals properly on my suburban, she can barely get the ball of her foot on the bottom of the gas or brake if she's a safe distance from the air bag.  Because of that she has absolutely zero fine pedal control, she's either full-gas, full-brake or coast.  I about cried when she would cycle constantly between 1k RPM to 2k RPM on the 6L V8 as if there was nothing in between, and she wasn't happy when she got <9mpg vs my normal 12-13mpg and I asked her to fill the tank after she used it for a week.

Suffice to say, she's not allowed to drive my truck except in extreme emergencies. Mainly cause I don't want to vomit in my own passenger seat.

Kharn

This as well. My wife is 4" 10" on a good day. In order for her to reach the pedals she has to move the seat WAY close to the steering wheel, and airbag.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#20]
I thought it was just my wife and daughters. Good to know I'm not alone.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Many women seem to think of the gas pedal and brake pedal as on/off switches. Drives me crazy too.

That's my wife right there, either on the gas or on the brake pedal. When I drive her car I get 30mpg in town and she gets 25mpg because of the way she drives.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#22]
My bride will still accelerate when the light changes to red?!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:03:17 AM EDT
[#23]
My biggest pet peeve with my two daughters driving is the fact that they are either accelerating hard or on the binders, there doesn't seem to be any in between? I honestly think it's a lack of understanding with what is actually going on mechanically. I guess I didn't do a good enough job educating them. I have tried to explain to them how things work but to no avail. With two daughters and each having their own cars plus the wife's jeep I'm an expert brake man
In all seriousness I do think that as a whole younger female drivers do tend to drive to close the car in front of them. On another note what is wrong with hanging back and anticipating the light? OK I'm done with my rant!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Women can't be combat arms period - has nothing to do with driving skills, and everything to do with the huge mess it would create WRT the culture & cohesiveness of the unit...

My wife is combat arms, you might want to rethink that.

Edit: I am being vague about it, I want to see who can guess her MOS.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 1:54:54 PM EDT
[#25]
My wife and daughter both drive exactly as you are describing yours, my brother.   I don't want to make a sexist comment here that might offend our many good female board members, but my wife and daughter are guilty as charged.   I love and respect both of them dearly, but yes, they have put some wear on my brake systems over the years.....
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#26]
My theory is women look about 10 feet in front of their hood when driving.

You're supposed to look 12 car lengths ahead, but they only look about one.

So...they don't anticipate shit unless it's staring them in the face.

That stop sign you saw coming up a block back?  It's a fuckin' surprise to them.

"Woah!  Where'd that come from?!"  *smashes brakes*

*face palm*

PS: My wife doesn't do this...any more.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd rather walk then have a woman drive me!!!

NO WAY IN HELL!
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#28]
I have to change the front pads and rotors on the wife's car every 11 to 12 months.

Last year I put on super duper ceramic pads.  It didn't make a difference, still had to change them 2 months ago.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I've found that often if you slow down to a sensible speed and take it easy, you are still rolling as the light changes from red, to amber, to green and can just go straight on and accelerate. Much nicer than stop-start.

Looking and planning ahead.  A trait humans should have.

You can actually go way faster by slowing down sligthly before you reach the light while others who don't look ahead and plan reach the light first and have to come to a complete stop.  While they are stopped, you just coast right pass them after only having to have shaved a few mph off.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
i tried to understand why some women drive this way but i gave up.i will never understand it.

this
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

EXACTLY. This is what I am talking about.

and on the cellphone to boot.

That drives me crazy.  Why women use their cars as a phone booth is so annoying.

Also, I'm a wife and I don't brake that way.  My dad taught me how to drive and do maintenance on my car.

I recently changed the battery in my car and my girlfriend said "you know how to change a battery?"  

Golf Clap

Thank you for not being that woman ma'am

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:35:18 PM EDT
[#32]
I like to coast.

Saves gas and wear on the brakes.

Pisses off the Type A types.

ETA: Flight sims teach you energy management. It applies to cars, too.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I change the front pads in my wifes Suburban every nine months or so, the rotors about every fourth brake change. She's about due for new discs now. How do I know? She's been tellin' me lately that her truck "shimmys" when she decels out of warp speed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:23:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Medic?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My wife and both my daughters are guilty of brake torture. Drives me absolutely insane. Dropped off my truck last night at the inlaws so they could use it this weekend . Hop in the passanger seat of the wife's car and off we go. First stop sign we come to it feels as if she is going to just blow through the damn thing. Then at seemingly the very last second she hits the brakes. In my head I am thinking  WTF.
Not that I have not seen this happen before but it had been a while since I have had to ride with her.
I just shook my head and let it go. Obviously the seemingly hundreds times of trying to explain to her over the years why driving like that is not only unsafe but it is EXTREMELY hard on the breaking system has not sunk in.

Also I see my daughters pull away from our house and it seems like as soon as they put it in drive they flat out just stomp on the gas pedal. I have told them also over and over to ease into the pedal save a little gas and wear and tear on the car. I dont say much to them about it anymore either. Get tired of hearing myself say the same shit over and over to them . Just to hear them say "oh ok"

I used to give the wife crap about that..........till she slammed the brakes and I kissed the windshield......"Now shut up about my driving"...."yes dear"
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:31:46 PM EDT
[#36]
My wife is a little different.  She doesn't normally do that when she's driving, but what she does to me is tell me at the last possible goddamned second to "turn here, I want to see this" or something like that.  She's really good at doing this while I'm driving our 29' RV.  So one time I did just that.  I stopped quickly.  When shit flew all over the cabin she got a little more conscious of when she wants me to turn.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#37]
My wife will hit 30 mph coming up out of the driveway to take a left hand turn on to our street.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, an MP is not combat arms. They get put in combat situations but they don't classify.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's faster.

Dropping the throttle and slowly decelerating takes up too much time. WFOT to the stop light / stop sign, slam on brakes. WFOT when it turns green or is clear to go.

New tires and new brakes will generally last 15k-20k miles in this type of driving scenario. If you don't drive too many miles, it's about even for those that log 30k miles a year. More highway driving is easier on your brakes and transmission. People that say they get 500k miles out of their car don't mention that 90% of it was done on highways where they may not have to touch the brakes for miles. In my after work commute, I could get by with using the brakes 3 times for the entire 20 mile trip!!

If you want to blame anything, blame the fucking politician and lawyer weenies that want STOP signs and multiple traffic lights. Take out all the unnecessary stop signs, put in YIELD signs, and replace busy intersections with properly designed traffic circles. BLUF: Design the traffic system as if 99.9% of the population drives manual transmissions so people don't have to keep coming to a complete stop for every stupid thing.  

Does BLUF mean "Bottom Line Up Front" where you come from?
I only ask because you put it AT THE VERY END.
Its like saying "Before I go into great detail", but at the very end of the great detail!

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#40]
OMFG! +100. My wife just doesn't get it. Roars up to the red light, doesn't decelerate on the yellow. ALSO, she doesn't slow down enough for speed bumps.
Fuck it, alignment is only $70  And if I DARE to suggest she alter her driving technique, WELL FUCK ME!
I'm so glad you guys posted. I thought it was only my wife that drove like a retard
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Put a glass of water on the console or dash. Learn to drive without spilling it.
Best use of this technique was Bob Hoover flying his entire airshow in the Shrike Commander with a glass of water on the instrument panel.

Trying that in actual city traffic, such as around here, will result in an accident.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#42]
all my girlfriends do that!!! I tell them they give chics a bad name- I drive a stick my brakes are in perfect condition...
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If I'm in a car I'm driving, that simple.

Cuts out a lot of headaches.

this
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:42:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
25 ft.? Hell no try 5 ft. much more interesting. I try and take a nap when she drives that way I can not see the end of my life comming

No way in hell I could take a nap with herky jerky female "driving" going on.  Slamming on the brakes to not ass-end the guy she's tailgating, punching the gas to get back up to speed, lurching lane changes, drifting over slightly to shoulder/other lane because of fiddling with radio/general bubble-headedness & jerking it back....makes me seasick just thinking of it, forget trying to get some shut-eye.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:45:42 PM EDT
[#45]
My GF drives her car like a rally car.  

Every greenlight is like a standing start to a race, and every stop is a panic stop.

I have given up telling her and have just decided to try to find a more durable car...
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:46:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Yes my wife does this a lot.  I got on to her about it when she took my mustang for a spin.  I don't get it.  But now I know why she goes through brakes and tires so fast.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:27:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:28:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You datein' my wife?? LOL

J-
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:33:27 AM EDT
[#49]
My uncle used to get pissed at his wife after he got married because she burned through an entire tank of washer fluid every time she drove to the store.

Hopefully you can break wifey and daughters of that bad habit before they discover on their own why braking like that is a really bad idea (snow/ice/gravel/wet roads/etc)
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:39:20 AM EDT
[#50]
I've not noticed the problem, my wife is an excellent driver.  She is also an excellent navigator, and has a better sense of direction than I do (which is to say, she has an extremely good sense of direction).

ETA:  She also backs up using just her mirrors, without hitting anything.  God, I love her more every day.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top