Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never owned anything with a dangerous level of recoil.  IMHO
I've got some Mosin carbines that are a little rough, but that's the worst of it.

I've never had a gun that was dangerous or malfunctioning.  I do have a family heirloom that's unshootable, but I'm not afraid to shoot it because I know I'm never even going to try.  Even if I could get .32 S&W Short ammo for it, the cylinder doesn't lock up even the least bit tightly.  It would require so much work to be fireable, and it's just not worth it.

The closest candidate is my P-64, which I very much dislike shooting.  Probably a 15lb trigger in double action, and the frame is completely square at the back and smashes the shit out of your hand.  

The sights suck, it's loud as hell, and while perfectly functional, it's generally a woefully unrefined pistol.

I have put two mags through it and I'm in no rush to feed it any more.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#2]
870 with slugs.  It was worse with buckshot.  Even with a recoil pad.  I wouldn't say I was afraid of it, but I for damn sure didn't enjoy it.  Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine is a close second.  I've fired a Winchester 70 in 458 Win Mag and that thing was tame in comparison to those two.  

Worst handgun would be a Smith 60 three inch 357 mag.  Belongs to a friend.  With mag loads, five rounds is enough.  

The worst I've heard of?  The state police academy has one of the Scandium Smiths in 357.  Whenever they get a recruit who is a little full of himself on the range they tote that thing out.  Most can't even get a full cylinder thru it.  Friend of mine instructs there, its a running joke with the firearms staff.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Only your ears need to be afraid.  You're gonna want to double your earpro with that.

Fired my SCAR 308 with the stock PWS brake in small enclosed area (outdoor overhang, divided stations only about 4' width).  Fuck that hurt my ears with only electronic muffs.  After one shot I was looking for foamies in my range bag - out.  Nearby folks didn't have any.  Third shot I flinched so bad I'm surprised I hit paper, actually hit what I was aiming at.  Fortunately I had some hand sanitizer to clean up some scuzzy foamies off the ground.  
View Quote

so what is the point?

seriously

if you were going to put a can on the gun and didn't want a huge barrel length, then SBRing it would make sense

but why have a gun that pops your ears right thru a set of muffs?

after the novelty is over, what do you have?  

it's not even a useful HD weapon because you cannot shoot it without risking your eardrums

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#4]
The advantage of an SBR is lightweight and compactness.  Makes the gun very handy and easy to weild.  

And .308 from a 12" bbl will be about like getting hit with a .30-30 but with spitzer bullets that fly better.

I didn't dare put a brake on mine.  Just a flash hider suppressor mount.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#5]
My buddy gave me some reloads for my 44 mag.  Those things were just terrible.  

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Jennings J-22  (yeah, I know...)

I've had the thing for years knowing it's a peice-o-shit, but would shoot it from time to time just because. Last time I shot it, it started double-tapping about once per mag. Haven't shot it since, and don't feel right about selling it.
View Quote

I had a J-22 years ago that ran flawlessly for several thousand rounds.
Took it apart one day for cleaning and it had a chunk missing from inside the slide.

Threw it away.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:15:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Pretty good stories.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not afraid to shoot it I just hated it. My dad has an AK47 with original russian furniture. I hate that stock so much. It's thin enough it seats perfectly into my cheekbone. Thus when I shoot it my face gets bashed and it just plain hurts. I can't do more than 5 rounds before I have to stop.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:19:21 PM EDT
[#9]
1903A3
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:24:28 PM EDT
[#10]
10 gauge damascus barreled shotgun. Never shot it, was stolen before I got the chance. Looked like one of the old crazy guns on lock stock & 2 smokin' barrels.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:29:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
10 gauge damascus barreled shotgun. Never shot it, was stolen before I got the chance. Looked like one of the old crazy guns on lock stock & 2 smokin' barrels.
View Quote

I shot an 8 gauge once.  It was pretty uncomfortable.  It was an old SXS.  Can't imagine what it feel like if both barrels went off

Dad has a 10 ga BPS.  It's not any worse than hot 12 ga duck and goose loads.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:37:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I got to shoot an M79 once (chalk rounds) at Big Sandy. I was kinda glad it was only once, because I would have flinched like a bitch if I had a second round. Not a sharp recoil, just a weird heavy push.

I fucking hated standing next to the guy with HK51 going full on rock and roll 2 feet away trying to fly, particularly at night. Muzzle blast and hot brass.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:41:12 PM EDT
[#13]
50-140 Sharps.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just got my stamp for my .308 SBR.   12.5" bbl.  I put the stock on it last night and it feels bad as a mother fucker.

However, I can't help but think I'm going to set the range on fire and blow out windows a mile away when I take it to the range to shoot it for the first time.

Tell me everything is going to be ok.  I've never had a gun I was this concerned about shooting before.  Even a .44 magnum handgun.

View Quote

You shouldn't have any problems with a barrel that long.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:00:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

so what is the point?

seriously

if you were going to put a can on the gun and didn't want a huge barrel length, then SBRing it would make sense

it's not even a useful HD weapon because you cannot shoot it without risking your eardrums

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Only your ears need to be afraid.  You're gonna want to double your earpro with that.

Fired my SCAR 308 with the stock PWS brake in small enclosed area (outdoor overhang, divided stations only about 4' width).  Fuck that hurt my ears with only electronic muffs.  After one shot I was looking for foamies in my range bag - out.  Nearby folks didn't have any.  Third shot I flinched so bad I'm surprised I hit paper, actually hit what I was aiming at.  Fortunately I had some hand sanitizer to clean up some scuzzy foamies off the ground.  

so what is the point?

seriously

A fun range toy?  

After having plenty of practical guns, it's fun to have some not so practical ones.  

In this case, it's a 16" barreled rifle which is fine in the open with just one pair of earpro, I usually wear an electronic set.  But this was close to shooting inside a 4' wide 7-8' tall box.  Huge difference.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#16]
One of my muzzleloader scares me. It flashed back through the nipple one time and burned the side of my face, I had a bad case of the flinches after that. The problem was a fouled barrel from too many shots between a good scrubbing but I still hate to shoot it. Actually I can't remember when I shot it last, it is an old and heavy Kentucky rifle that must weigh 15 pounds that has been retired to a corner in a closet.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:14:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Not "afeared" as such....but I NEVER liked my .44 Remington Mag.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm not afraid of it, but I sure as heck don't like shooting it.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I was a little nervous about shooting my first build. It functioned fine.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I haven't found a rifle yet that has more recoil than I can handle and the list is big. I know better than to shoot light shotguns with heavy loads.
The one thing I will never shoot again is a Scandium J-frame with hot .357.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My Remington 770 in 7mm Remington Magnum can be unpleasant to shoot. Not only is it about half the weight of a true Remington 700, the 7mm really kicks. I've scoped myself with it at least a dozen times (never hard enough to leave a mark, but it sure stings).

Of course, when I hold it right and pay attention, it's fine...but it has no tolerance for apathy or rushed shots.
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Afraid? No.  Don't particularly look forward to shooting?  Absolutely.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:23:27 PM EDT
[#23]
There's nothing I own that I'm scared to shoot. However, I do not like full magnum loads in my 2" J frame, and I do not like magnum slugs or buckshot through my 18" lightweight 870P.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a 329 PD, sent to Magnaport and now it's a kitten to shoot.  Took the nasty recoil right out of it!
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Yes.  There is only one decent rifle range near me and I don't want to get barred from it for melting the bench.

I'm not worried about the recoil.  I deer hunt with a 3" magnum slug gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Srsly OP?

Yes.  There is only one decent rifle range near me and I don't want to get barred from it for melting the bench.

Where are the ports on your brake?

If it just vents from the sides, you'll be fine; or just shoot offhand.

I know those recoil feels, too. M38 Mosin (shorter version, not the regular rifle) Nagant.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I know those recoil feels, too. M38 Mosin (shorter version, not the regular rifle) Nagant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Srsly OP?

No brake.   I decided long ago I didn't want the added concussion from a brake.  I put the AAC Blackout flash hider on it.  

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Mossberg 500 with 3" slugs and a rifled slug barrel.  Wouldn't say I was 'skeerd' to shoot it, just absolutely HATED shooting it.  Hell, it's even ported.  I just use a muzzle loader for deer season now...much more pleasant.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I had a Savage striker in 308 at one time...12" barrel IIRC with a Miculek style brake on it...shooting prone in tall dry grass and I did set my range on fire. I wasn't really afraid to shoot that though...the 14" 45/70 Contender barrel I had..was a little nervous touching that one off the first time but it wasn't all that bad.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:13:06 PM EDT
[#29]
12.5" 308 SBR right here.  It doesn't look scary.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Ever have a gun you're afraid to shoot?

NO
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#31]
I also have a .308 SBR, and I have never shot it. Not because I am afraid of it, I just never have shot it.
I can tell you this. I was at Knob Creek and all kinds of stuff was being fired including .50 BMG. One guy cut loose with an HK G3K on full auto and it drowned out everything else on the line. I instantly realized I had to have one.

I have one of those Serbu Super Shorty 12 gauge shotguns with a 6 1/2" barrel. The recoil is ferocious. It is actually painful. I have fired it several times, but I probably will never fire it again. The first shot I ever took with it, I made the mistake of firing a 3" 00 buckshot out of it. The gun recoiled back across my fingers and flew out of my hands. It literally was lying on the ground in back of me and my hand was numb. Since then I have fired it with low brass birdshot and some of those mini-shells, but if you fire real defensive type loads out of it, it is no fun at all. I should point out that I spend YEARS where pretty much all I ever shot were heavy caliber revolvers with max loads: yet this shotgun is in a league of it's own for recoil. At least I have never shot anything like it. I have shot a little bit with a .454 using max loads, and that is about the limit of what I would consider fun to shoot.

I was shooting an AR today with a 10" barrel which I hadn't done since last summer. I shoot an AR a couple times a week. Usually a 20". I was kind of stunned at how freaking loud this 10" is. You get used to it quickly, but it is orders of magnitude louder than a 20" and I had forgotten just how loud this thing is. It has an AAC muzzle brake on it, which of course makes it even louder. Ironically the muzzle brake is on there to mount a suppressor. So I spent the shooting session wondering why I didn't bring the suppressor ????
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#33]
470 NE
500 S&W

Luv 'em both though
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Anytime I shoot a surplus bolt action for the first time I get a bit...cautious.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#35]

What gun is that? Always wondered...
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's an A-Square Hannibal (basically, a rechambered, sporterized M1917) in .577 Tyrannosaur, IIRC.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Big revolvers (475 and 500 Linebaugh, 500 WE, 500 S&W, etc.).  My dad is obsessed with them, and I've seen them slip in his hands and stab the hammer spur into his hand before.  He mostly shoots them wearing gloves for that reason.  I've shot all of them a few times, but it's just not my cup of tea.  If a 44 mag or 45 Colt won't do the job, I'll just bring a rifle.

12.5" 308 isn't so bad.  It's loud, but if you double up on ear pro it's no big deal.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:43:03 PM EDT
[#40]

Jesus, might as well be a mini nuke....
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:44:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Was nervous upon firing a 1911 for the first time. Recoil wasn't nearly what legend had it to be.

Also nervous on firing a .357, and a .44 magnum. The .44 was a bit stout, but the .357 was in a properly large gun so it wasn't painful.

The only other one I was 'afraid to shoot' for a while was a Savage .32 pistol. The safety bar had been bent, so you could fire it with the safety on. Once that part was replaced, no problems.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Never been afraid of anything I own (or anything anyone else owns for that matter), but I am somewhat leery of running full power .357 through my S&W Model 65, just because I bought it used from a pawn shop and I don't know it's history. I have shot a little .357 with it but I mostly use .38.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#43]
I have some old black powder muzzleloaders that were my grandpas, scared to try them just because I don't know anything about them, how to do it safely, inspect them before hand to make sure they're OK.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:48:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Was nervous upon firing a 1911 for the first time. Recoil wasn't nearly what legend had it to be.

Also nervous on firing a .357, and a .44 magnum. The .44 was a bit stout, but the .357 was in a properly large gun so it wasn't painful.

The only other one I was 'afraid to shoot' for a while was a Savage .32 pistol. The safety bar had been bent, so you could fire it with the safety on. Once that part was replaced, no problems.
View Quote

I find the M1911s recoil quite manageable as well. Honestly, the worst pistols I've shot recoil-wise aren't large caliber at all, they're just blowbacks. The worst of the lot is the Astra 600, aka the Pipewrench. 9x19 Parabellum in a blowback. One magazine is enough for that one, thanks.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
12 gauge pump with slugs from the prone.
View Quote

You need to take a V.I.P.E.R.S class. They'll get you squared away.

Anyway, back on topic.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#47]
My dads lightweight 300 wby..... him and I check it each year, we each shoot it once.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:53:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
S&W 329. Scandium/Titanium .44 Mag. 25 ounces of torture.
Fucking brutal to shoot but it did make me smile afterwords.
View Quote

That is another one I forgot about. I don't own one, but came close to owning one.
A guy at my club was selling one and I couldn't wait to buy it.
He made the mistake of letting me shoot it first and I said, thanks but no thanks.
Again, at the time, I was really into shooting heavy caliber revolvers with max loads, but that thing was a little bit over the top for me.

I own a regular steel framed 629 with a 3" barrel and it is a pussy cat compared to this alloy framed 329. I have fired that 629 with absolute max loaded Buffalo Bore ammo and didn't think anything of it. Well actually I was a little disappointed at how mild it was. That 329 was at the next level up.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:01:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Buddy handed me his little snub nose revolver.  It wasn't much bigger than most others so I figured it was a .38  heavy frame of some sort.

Turns out it was some Charter Arms .454 Cassul.  My god did that hurt.    I refused to shoot it a second time.

He thought it was cool sending rings of fire 20 yards down range.  They  were about a foot across and did go down about 20+ yards.

2 inch barrel snubby .454 - No way in hell.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

That is another one I forgot about. I don't own one, but came close to owning one.
He made the mistake of letting me shoot it first and I said, thanks but no thanks.
Again, at the time, I was really into shooting heavy caliber revolvers with max loads, but that thing was a little bit over the top for me.

I own a regular steel framed 629 with a 3" barrel and it is a pussy cat compared to this alloy framed 329. I have fired that 629 with absolute max loaded Buffalo Bore ammo and didn't think anything of it. Well actually I was a little disappointed at how mild it was. That 329 was at the next level up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
S&W 329. Scandium/Titanium .44 Mag. 25 ounces of torture.
Fucking brutal to shoot but it did make me smile afterwords.

Yeah, I'm not even crazy enough to mess around with those silly Scandium Magnum revolvers. If I ever get the urge to buy one I'll just go out into the garage and beat the heck out of my hand with a hammer for awhile, same effect, less cost.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top