Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 10:58:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Last night was my turn, slicing carrots on the Japanese mandolin.  Yep, got the finger tip.  I would say I skived the distal 1/16" plumb off.  now I get to enjoy the pain.

Nothing docs can do, not even sewing the flap on.  No sense in wasting $500 at the ER.  Thankfully I have some hydrocodone 7.5 mg Norcos so I am Greg House of the engineering world.
View Quote

Was it for stir fry?  I hope you didn't waste the extra protein.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah but usually women and tequila were involved, not a ronco carrot slicer
View Quote

At least you should make up a good story to explain your scars and missing pieces. Something heroic or debauched.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:00:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Mandolin got me last year. Right before I threw that fucker away.
I use a plain old chefs knife now.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:02:58 PM EDT
[#4]
hit myself in the face with a hammer and a shovel

Hammer-  nailing in the angled brackets for a garage truss.  Hit one side of the bracket, it ricochet to the other side, then back into my face, then off the ladder

Shovel- Stabbing at ice in my driveway, did it a little too hard, the shovel flexed, bounced back and hit me in the mouth
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:04:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I have done more dumb things than I care to remember. My dumbest was riding on the hood of a car. I was thrown off, tire ran up onto my L foot, and pushed me about 50 feet before the driver finally stopped. I am only allowed small knives because I have cut myself so many times. My Dad always said he could put me in a padded room, surround me with pillows, give me a marshmallow, and I would come out bleeding!
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:05:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep.
See screen name
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:05:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Pic of your self mutilation please
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:12:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes.  I stuck my dick in crazy.  Hardcore white trash crazy.  

I escaped.

I'm better now.

I married a ginger.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#9]
So many stories to choose from.
I somewhat get a pass on this one due to my age, but anyone who ever got a burn can relate, so i'm using it.

I'm about 6 years old, hanging out down at the Mystic river, watching what I now know to be a coffer dam being put in place to get a pipe put across the river.
I'm watching a worker using "something" in his hands, and then a circle fell from where he was working, and I ran over quick as could be and picked it up.
The something in his hands, I again now know, was an oxy-acetylene torch, but at the time and distance below him, I couldn't see any flame.
The circle thing was a circle of metal cut out so that that piece of wall could be pulled out later.
I burned the ever lovin' shit out of my hand, it instantly got a funny white and sloughing thing going on. I was right at the river, so I dunked my hand in, but eventually had to pull it out and do the walk of shame stupid back to the house. It hurt like a mofo.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I was pulling nails out of the ceiling of a garage in preparation for painting.  There was one stubborn one which I took a pass on until I had pulled all the others.  I went back an pulled and pried without success.  I even picked myself off the floor pulling on the hammer.  That was when the head stripped and the hammer hit me on top of my head.  That's how I got my ninth set of stitches.  It turns out that that nail was a screw.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:16:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I decided to test the safety on my electric planer with my index finger once. That went well.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:18:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Just remembered another one.
Back in my army days I was a heavy equipment operator. Was messing around in the motor pool and watching one of the mechanics weld a blade adjustment handle back on a D7. He finished up so I went over to BS with him and grabbed ahold of that handle I had just watched him weld up.
He just looked at me and said "Dumbass."
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Last night was my turn, slicing carrots on the Japanese mandolin.  Yep, got the finger tip.  I would say I skived the distal 1/16" plumb off.  now I get to enjoy the pain.

Nothing docs can do, not even sewing the flap on.  No sense in wasting $500 at the ER.  Thankfully I have some hydrocodone 7.5 mg Norcos so I am Greg House of the engineering world.
View Quote

Which time?  My personal favorite was chopping onion for dinner, I get distracted by my bikini clad wife and our 25 year old baby sister wrestling over the last of the margaritas on the lanai.  I promptly lopped off the tip of one finger and the pad of the next.  So rather than enjoying that spectical I endured the statement from my RN wife "Honey, when you swung your hand into the towel to apply pressure you can see the blood spray on the wall just like CSI, Nikki get a picture....."  Yes that may come back to visit me in an old age anniverary parties or my eulogy - "the day I passed up a possible threesome, and changed my finger prints "

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:21:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Weekend before last, I built a safari roof for a Kawasaki Mule like this one for a friend of mine.

I cut one of the frame pieces a 1/16th of an inch too long and had to shorten it.  I grabbed an angle grinder and started grinding away on one end of it.  The grinder slipped and while it was still running full speed, I jambed it into the web of my thumb and forefinger of my left hand.  I ground a nice groove into it about a 1/8th inch deep and an inch and a half long.  It still hasn't healed completely.  

Life's hard and painful when you're stupid.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:28:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Machine tools can be great too. Especially when darwin taps me on the shoulder and says "Take a deeper cut next time, your part won't move." Yeah... right.... I've launched quite a bit of stuff across the room. Lots of cutters have been broken. But the upside is, now I know what "that sound" is on all of the machines I run at work. You know, that split second sound that lets you know you are walking on a very thin line. Like when shit is about to get very real, very fast and you have exactly 2 seconds to make up your mind and react. But hey, at least they don't have any blanchard grinders. One lathe at work throws work pieces with such accuracy, that you can predict which dicrection they will go, how high and far they will fly, and how far they will roll or bounce, all based on the RPM of the chuck. I think they need a new chuck, beacuse it doesn't grip for shit. The upside is, I usually know which way to duck. I sent one piece right over my right shoulder one day. I heard the whistle as it went by.

View Quote

I'm programming a vertical mill one afternoon. I'm new at this; I hit a wrong button and get a little lost in the menus but successfully exit and continue. Turns out I had hit F6 at the wrong time and deleted the memory.   BUT, it only showed up when the machine was restarted. In morning it's wiped. Drat.

Next morning, the shop owner has the memory re-loaded and I'm all ready to hit GO. This is a 1/2" piece of precision ground steel clamped directly to the table. I'm machining with a flat end mill ten off the table. I always put the speed dial on 1 when it starts because going that close makes my noob brain nervous.

Well.

I don't know how fast the mill plunged or the table launched itself toward my end mill....does 500 inches/min sound about right? I have never seen a table move that fast. Before I could react, the bit slammed into the part and made it half way around before I hit the red button. Did I mention this was supposed to be a .010 finishing pass?

We never figured out why it did that. It was an old machine. But I'm pretty sure it was my fault.

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:32:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Never hold firewood while splitting it with a hatchet.

never hold studs with your.hands. while framing and using.a.nail gun
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:40:48 PM EDT
[#17]
1/16" ? last time I had a dime sized thin flap on the end of my index finger hanging and thought the doc would stitch it, he just snipped the flap off with scissors. It had turned white by the time my supervisor hauled me to the ER.The skin grew back over like nothing happened. When your gloved hand gets pinched in a pulley, resist the reflex to instantly yank it out.

My daughter mandolined the heel of her hand badly once. She has a phobia of getting stitched. The wife butterfly taped it and it was fine.

Hope you feel better soon.

ETA Actually not called a pulley. We called them traveler's, but it's technically a conductor stringing block

I had a bad patch there. 3 hand injuries at work in 14 months. none serious thankfully.  the stars were mis-aligned or something.
I learned about proud flesh after one boo-boo.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I did something similar processing a deer last year.  I encased my finger in super glue.
View Quote

This.  Get the bleeding stopped with ice, and put about 7 thin coats of super glue on it, letting it dry completely between coats.  Dab with the corner of a paper towel if you get too much on.

I do this for all manner of cuts, scrapes and injuries of my fingertips.

Once, I was loading a drum mag for an AK and the spring mechanism let loose and gashed my finger REALLY deep.  Super glued it up and continued shooting for the rest of the afternoon with no problems.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:41:25 PM EDT
[#19]
"i do"

nuff said
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:34:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I wrote the book on idiot shit.  I found out that the tip of the index finger has more nerve endings than anywhere else on your body.  I wish I didn't know that.  I also poured over-cooked caramel down a sink drain.  Don't do that.

View Quote

Don't try to use the garbage disposal on artichoke leaves.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:37:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Slicing burger buns I cut down to the tendon on my left index finger (bread knives are deceptively sharp with their serrated teeth).

Cleaned the wound, filled it with superglue, wrapped up the finger with tape and gauze.

Healed to a small scar in less than 2 weeks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:42:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Yes, constantly.  Every time I CLICK ON THIS LINK I ask myself "why did you do that, dumbass?"

Every. Fucking. Time.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:49:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I have also had a mandolin incident. My mom had me slice some potatoes after telling me numerous times how not to cut myself. Three or four slices in, I ran the pad of my thumb straight into the blade. I didn't cut anything off, but it still sucked.

I once punched through the glass window panel of a fire alarm box in 9th grade. I mistakenly assumed it was plexiglass and wouldn't break, and for some reason wanted to prove it .  I quickly dashed into my classroom and stuck my profusely bleeding hand into the front pocket of my hoodie. I was caught a short time later; someone from another class told on me, there was blood on the glass, and my hand was bleeding profusely . I only got two detentions and had to pay $35 ($5 for the glass, $30 for installation), and I had to have the wound burned shut with silver nitrate. I still have the scar. To add insult to injury, the principal told me that that fire alarm box was the only one left that didn't have a  plexiglass window.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:56:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

After 2 years of working in a machine shop, I have never seen a part get launched across the shop.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've done lots of stupid stuff. Bicycles can be the most fun. There's nothing like a concrete slab rapidly approaching your face, to let you know that you fucked up a long time ago.  <-- Basically like that.

Machine tools can be great too. Especially when darwin taps me on the shoulder and says "Take a deeper cut next time, your part won't move." Yeah... right.... I've launched quite a bit of stuff across the room. Lots of cutters have been broken. But the upside is, now I know what "that sound" is on all of the machines I run at work. You know, that split second sound that lets you know you are walking on a very thin line. Like when shit is about to get very real, very fast and you have exactly 2 seconds to make up your mind and react. But hey, at least they don't have any blanchard grinders. One lathe at work throws work pieces with such accuracy, that you can predict which dicrection they will go, how high and far they will fly, and how far they will roll or bounce, all based on the RPM of the chuck. I think they need a new chuck, beacuse it doesn't grip for shit. The upside is, I usually know which way to duck. I sent one piece right over my right shoulder one day. I heard the whistle as it went by.

Forgetting to flip my welding hood down is always great. Now when I do it three times in a row.... It's time to clock out and go home. It's not like I have ever made any mistakes that were THAT dumb...

I love that sound of tires leaving the pavement. I haven't had it happen in a few years, but it has a good way of making clean underwear dirty rather rapidly.

After 2 years of working in a machine shop, I have never seen a part get launched across the shop.

i've been in a shop for almost 3 years right now, and I see stuff get dropped and launched at least once every month. The best one was when a rather large part was on a cnc machine, and the hold down magnet let go somehow. A large slab of steel was thrown out of the machine and landed in the center of the walk way. Many heads turned. I wasn't running that machine, by the way. I watched a 12x2 inch grinding wheel break into a pizza shape. One of the chunks flew by the tool makers head, and a decent sized rock hit his safety glasses and knocked them crooked. Holding 16 inch long hot rolled rounds by 1/8 of and inch and trying to drill and face them can get interesting. Those fuckers are loud when they come loose. I no longer trust lifting magnets after one let go of a chunk of steel, and it bounced and took a chunk out of the floor. One of the former employees kept a box of band aids in his tool box. Any time someone knocked something over or dropped something, he would put a band aid on the floor and write the offenders name on it. One of the guys fat fingered a button on the crane when he was still new. A 20,000 pound slab of steel went screaming right down the middle of the isle. When he finally got it stopped, he had a giant pendulum just swaying in the middle of the room. Things get interesting. I haven't seen a whole lot, compared to those older guys. They have some wild stories.

We do some red neck shit. No one really gets hurt, either. It's pretty suprising consodering how fast paced my work place is. We don't have any time, on some days.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 3:58:14 AM EDT
[#25]
My favorite lately was a .161 drill bit through my left index finger, while drilling titanium....didn't think it was bad...till I noticed an exit in addition to the entrance...
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:03:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Snicker...

Nah. Never.

Last week.
First knuckle on left index finger. Shaving sharp Grand Prix II Santoku. Big pile of taters to be diced.
Distraction.
Never felt a thing.
Same deal, flap of skin about the thickness of a Tater skin. Hardly any blood at first.
Stupid thing is, there was already an Identical scar there, from cutting arrow Nocks back in 1973, and running through the rear sprocket of a YZ125 back in 1979.
Ibuprofen, Telfa, and athletic tape fixes everything that doesn't call for direct pressure and Medivac.

Then there was the Saki incident.
Tossed a glass of water in the microwave to to warm it up.
Dumped the water out, poured the warmed Saki in, took a sip, and heard "SSSSTT!!!" about the time the pain hit me. Pulled the lip off the glass, and left a chunk on the GOLD rim..

Then there's the adventures in finding the bad ground on a 15KV Generator/inverter, mounted on a steel framed, and steel decked Harvester.
It ain't real bad. Ya get thrown clear and are unconscious for the really painful part.

Hang in there man.
Mandolins are inherently evil and designed to maim.
You're just the latest victim.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:07:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm programming a vertical mill one afternoon. I'm new at this; I hit a wrong button and get a little lost in the menus but successfully exit and continue. Turns out I had hit F6 at the wrong time and deleted the memory.   BUT, it only showed up when the machine was restarted. In morning it's wiped. Drat.

Next morning, the shop owner has the memory re-loaded and I'm all ready to hit GO. This is a 1/2" piece of precision ground steel clamped directly to the table. I'm machining with a flat end mill ten off the table. I always put the speed dial on 1 when it starts because going that close makes my noob brain nervous.

Well.

I don't know how fast the mill plunged or the table launched itself toward my end mill....does 500 inches/min sound about right? I have never seen a table move that fast. Before I could react, the bit slammed into the part and made it half way around before I hit the red button. Did I mention this was supposed to be a .010 finishing pass?

We never figured out why it did that. It was an old machine. But I'm pretty sure it was my fault.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well.

Don't feel bad. I faced the chuck jaws on an old manual lathe at work. Then three days later, I drilled into THE ONLY Kurt vise that didn't have any drill marks from the bridgeport. It happens man. At least you haven't face milled a part stop in half. Ask me how I know...

You know you are getting into manly man territory when you need a .003 feeler gauge to check the clearance between your lathe tool and the front of the chuck jaws. They hate it when I do that red neck shit.

I blew up 3 big ass 1 inch carbide endmills in a single day about 6 months ago. That steel was too tough for that sloppy ass bridgeport. They really don't like it when you do that...

500 inches a minute is lightning fast across short distances. Shit gets very real, very fast. And all in the blink of an eye.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:09:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Say what you want about the quality of Cutco knives, but they arrive razor sharp.

Did about the same as you KJ but with my Cutco chef knife. Sharp blade makes for a painless slice though... lol

But that's far from the dumbest thing I've ever done. Not even close.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:15:08 AM EDT
[#29]
All the time.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:25:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Lol
Ok Mr Flawless

Ever clean a deli meat slicer ? I have the knuckle scar to prove it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope.

Lol
Ok Mr Flawless

Ever clean a deli meat slicer ? I have the knuckle scar to prove it.

I worked in a restaurant using a slicer..left handed..., some poor sap got a bbq sandwich with the end of my index finger probably, as I was taken to er
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:33:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Turns out one reason your nose sticks out is so it can absorb some stupidity instead of your eyes.
View Quote

That's deep, man.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:34:55 AM EDT
[#32]
yep, February 19, 2001
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:49:57 AM EDT
[#33]
I broke a glass in the sink and stuck it right through the tendon on my left middle finger and severed it clean.

I had to have surgery to reattach the tendon.

The finger has a permanent bend because so much scar tissue built up it wont straighten out.

I also have zero control over it from the second joint on so to make a fist I have had to learn to assist bending my middle finger using my ring finger.

I also stuck the blade on a pair of scissors through the tip of my ring finger on that same hand when I was about 18.

When I was 19 I punched an exterior wall on a house twice in rapid succession and broke the 4th metacarpal on my right hand requiring a plate and 4 screws to repair.

The lessons I learned were don't punch fucking walls you moran, don't strip speaker wire with scissors, and dishes are woman's work

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 6:56:07 AM EDT
[#34]
I think with  mandolin slicer, it is a matter of time before you cut yourself. Like shooting a chronograph.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:15:25 AM EDT
[#35]
I stuck my hand in a table saw.  Meh, shit happens.  A couple of years later, I cut a biscuit slot in the ring finger of my left hand. That was dumb.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:16:12 AM EDT
[#36]

I have scars on two fingers from a table saw.
I sliced the tip of my one index finger on a paper cutter in Jr. High immediately after the Art Teacher had finished his safety lecture.
I was sure that I could kick the bottom out of a rusty 55 gallon oil drum in college. Yes I was drunk at the time.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:16:51 AM EDT
[#37]
I skinned the crap out of the top of my thumb once with a vegetable peeler.  I'm leery of those things ever since.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:39:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've done lots of stupid stuff. Bicycles can be the most fun. There's nothing like a concrete slab rapidly approaching your face, to let you know that you fucked up a long time ago.  <-- Basically like that.

Forgetting to flip my welding hood down is always great. Now when I do it three times in a row.... It's time to clock out and go home. It's not like I have ever made any mistakes that were THAT dumb...

I love that sound of tires leaving the pavement. I haven't had it happen in a few years, but it has a good way of making clean underwear dirty rather rapidly.

we had a CNC lathe spinning a 4' bar of 7/8" steel stock. bar was evidently not entirely straight, and when spinning at high rpm, greatly exaggerated the bend. turned an entire lathe into a giant runaway washing machine. that machine went from " all is well and good" to "holy shit, lathe's can fly" in an instant, and flung that bar enough to fold it about 45 degrees on impact with a 1.5" water pipe.

we spent the rest of our time before lunch mopping and fixing that.

not really stupidity, so much as shit happens. but that was pretty terrifying.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:47:01 AM EDT
[#39]
I'd exceed the fucking bandwidth of this site if I listed them all for god's sake.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 7:50:19 AM EDT
[#40]
No.  Never.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:13:53 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You must not have surface grinders.

I forgot to turn on the chuck on an old 50's era grinder we have. It is a big bastard that takes 3"x24" wheels and all of the indicator lights are broke so you have to pay attention.

Came down to just a touch and WHAM, the part left the chuck at warp speed and dented the backstop.

I also saw a co worker launch a 3"dia x 4"long piece of brass with a sledge hammer through the window and out onto the street. He was swinging for the fences trying to get a die post out.

Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#42]
Seems like just when I start thinking I'm not a complete dumbass anymore I do something incredibly stupid. Someday the cycle will end, I hope.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:34:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Here you go, almost a week after.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:51:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Here you go, almost a week after.  http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1334/72452.JPG
View Quote

Looks like a screwed up circumcision
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:55:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Sliced the tip of my left hand social finger off on a deli meat slicer. That was thirty years ago. The skin and fingerprint eventually grew back over the wound. To this day if I hit it on something, it still smarts like a bitch.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:02:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Don't feel bad OP.  I have cut, burnt, broke, dislocated, stuck, chainsawed, etc. many parts of my body.  Shit happens. Luckily I am still pretty much intact.

You work as a Toolmaker for about 40 years, you are going to get tore up along the way.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:08:09 AM EDT
[#47]
I did that with a router once.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:11:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Amateur!!! You must not have any surface, rotary, vertical, etc. grinders in your shop.  The part getting launched is usually the least of your worries….. it's the exploding wheel that does most of the damage.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:17:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here you go, almost a week after.  http://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1334/72452.JPG

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

which you can also do with a mandoline.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top