Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:36:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Capital fears uncertainty more than anything.

And then on the flip side if you just sit on your money you get raped by 0% savings accounts and inflation.

So, do you start a business that could be regulated out of existence on a whim or do you off-shore your money and weigh the loss from inflation against the loss from taxes?

OR do you off-shore your money and then invest part of it in emerging markets.

Without a doubt the policies coming from out benevolent overlords and the saturating talk of income inequality is driving capital out of the nation.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just finished the article.  He's not saying anything that would be news to anyone paying attention.

How anyone can contemplate doing business with the US as a start up or doing "business" with us in international relations is beyond me.

As a nation we are a total "flake" can cannot be relied upon to make rational decisions.

Capital fears uncertainty more than anything.

And then on the flip side if you just sit on your money you get raped by 0% savings accounts and inflation.

So, do you start a business that could be regulated out of existence on a whim or do you off-shore your money and weigh the loss from inflation against the loss from taxes?

OR do you off-shore your money and then invest part of it in emerging markets.

Without a doubt the policies coming from out benevolent overlords and the saturating talk of income inequality is driving capital out of the nation.

I imagine he wants to get paid in Yuan, too, because the USD does not have bright prospects for the future.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Did Blackwater pay for the attorneys for the contractors that got threw under the bus for the Nissour Square shooting?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:44:37 AM EDT
[#3]
The truth hurts.  Yes, being American still has some advatages but it is WAAAAY less than it used to be.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Did Blackwater pay for the attorneys for the contractors that got threw under the bus for the Nissour Square shooting?
View Quote

No idea.  probably for civil but I'm guessing not criminal.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Seems the government siccing the IRS on political opponents is more routine than I thought

As for Chinese patronage of presidents-for-life like Sudan's Bashir, Mr. Prince's CEO, Gregg Smith —a former U.S. Marine and Deloitte executive—offers this observation: "There's thousands of tribal conflicts in Africa every decade that have nothing to do with anyone from the outside. It has everything to do with tribal conflicts that have been going on for centuries, and the fact that the economies cause folks not to have jobs," says Mr. Smith. "It's not about who backs Omar al-Bashir."

{snip}

This historically questionable reassurance notwithstanding, Mr. Prince certainly isn't complacent about America's global standing. U.S. policy in Africa, he says, "is just nonexistent. It's about as coherent as U.S. Middle East policy—incoherent."

Americans, he says, "are at a competitive disadvantage because of their government. . . . It's amazing how many countries run their embassies as commercial outposts to promote businessmen from their country. I think the U.S. has forgotten about that one."
View Quote

Holy shit, is this realpolitik?

Let's contract out the State Department to these guys.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:47:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I admire the guy for the single fact that he was born into wealth and instead of being a shit head rich kid he has accomplished more than 99.99 percent of the population.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:51:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Dude will make a fortune. Africa has tremendous resources and is pretty much the last undeveloped place on the planet.

What he plans sounds really exciting. If I were a much younger man I'd be trying to get on board.

FBHO

FEPA

FDEMS

The Left ruins everything it touches....
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Have we already begin to twist the narrative to a "blame Obama" one?

This administration is fucked up with Iraq, but were they to use the current please from the GoI for help as leverage for a real SOFA, it would be the Right that would pounce on that and rip them to shreds, and GD would be in a frenzy about how stupid it would be to send anyone to Iraq.  The American public quit on it.  Despite the rhetoric about US leadership shaping outcomes, ultimately, most US leadership takes the easy way out and follows the mob sentiments.

That has always traditionally been the weakness of a democratic society - we are only as reliable as the mob.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just finished the article.  He's not saying anything that would be news to anyone paying attention.

How anyone can contemplate doing business with the US as a start up or doing "business" with us in international relations is beyond me.

As a nation we are a total "flake" can cannot be relied upon to make rational decisions.

Who would trust us, and why in the hell should they?  Seriously.  I said this over-and-over during the Iraq war, and none of my liberal friends (since dropped and no-longer-associated-with) gave a flying sh*t.

We're the absolute All-Time-World-Champions of cutting-and-running.  When the going gets tough, you can absolutely count on the fickle, risk-averse US electorate (and the politicians it elects) to run away.  And if you have a politician who won't cut-n-run (like Dubya), just wait a few years and let the anti-war Left and their media allies work their magic.  Our current administration got out of Iraq just as fast as they could, and that was all that mattered to them.  They couldn't even be bothered to negotiate a SOFA, or get a permanent US military base or two, as a partial payment for all the blood-and-treasure we spent there.  And what has happened?  Fallujah has fallen to the terrorists... again.  What a slap in the face to all the Americans who died to free that city.  

This was the lesson taught to Bin Laden after the BlackHawk-Down Mogadishu incident.  All you have to do is kill a few dozen Americans, and the United States will run away.  

This is the lesson taught to the Shia in Southern Iraq after the first Gulf War, when Bush Sr. urged them to rise up, then stood by while Saddam committed genocide against them.  Is it any wonder they weren't itching to throw in with us again?

Who would trust us?

This administration is fucked up with Iraq, but were they to use the current please from the GoI for help as leverage for a real SOFA, it would be the Right that would pounce on that and rip them to shreds, and GD would be in a frenzy about how stupid it would be to send anyone to Iraq.  The American public quit on it.  Despite the rhetoric about US leadership shaping outcomes, ultimately, most US leadership takes the easy way out and follows the mob sentiments.

That has always traditionally been the weakness of a democratic society - we are only as reliable as the mob.

This is not a 17th Amendment discussion.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Dude will make a fortune. Africa has tremendous resources and is pretty much the last undeveloped place on the planet.

What he plans sounds really exciting. If I were a much younger man I'd be trying to get on board.

FBHO

FEPA

FDEMS

The Left ruins everything it touches....
View Quote

I want to be a tool of capitalist oppression.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I admire the guy for the single fact that he was born into wealth and instead of being a shit head rich kid he has accomplished more than 99.99 percent of the population.
View Quote

Agree, with his attitude I think he would have been one of those self made men even if he had been born poor.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:11:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:14:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Unless you come from a total third world shit hole nobody in their right mind would want to be an American citizen. Even Mexicans are going back home in droves. A massively corrupt nearly failed state on the verge of civil war has a better upside than this one.

ETA- and yes "democracy", as we have it, is the culprit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:14:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

For the lack of a SOFA and zero permanent bases?  Yes... I most certainly DO blame the current administration for that.  

I take it you disagree?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the lack of a SOFA and zero permanent bases?  Yes... I most certainly DO blame the current administration for that.  

I take it you disagree?

Of course the Obama administration fucked up Iraq.  But the reason that administration had such power, is rooted in the fact that the American people had given up on the project.  We were all witness to this on boards such as this.  The administration, lacking anything resembling leadership or vision, merely did the bidding of the American people, taking the path of least resistance.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:17:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
he's right
View Quote

yep, sad but true. thinking of bugging out myself.

take my money somewhere it wont be wasted on the fsa.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:22:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Anyone who now works US gov contracts serves this end, according to your thesis.

China is a customer of his.  Doesn't make him a traitor.  Why would he do anything involving the US, given how hard he was burned?  Prince doesn't provide "armed" services for China because he's probably legally bound from doing so because I am certain he likely held a clearance until very recently.  So he's doing logistics.  Nothing wrong with serving a market. It is telling that China is the one country committed to bringing capitalism to Africa.  Predatory capitalism, to be sure.  But at least they aren't taking over the governments (overtly anyway) and at least they aren't imposing wide eyed idealistic restrictions that are completely inconsistent with the facts and circumstances of the local environment.

Go read the foreign corrupt practices act.  Do you think you can do business in any part of the third world as a US company that simultaneously does business with the US Gov with that as the law?  Nope.  You are being held responsible for circumstances you neither control nor can correct.

ETA spelling, context
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would never do business for Communist China as I belie  war with China is inevitable.

The majority of Americans have become parasites or fools and the people they have put in control of our Senate and Executive are absolutely dedicated to destroying this country. It is ironic though that those same liberals who admire Communist China serve the same boss as Erik Prince now does.

Anyone who now works US gov contracts serves this end, according to your thesis.

China is a customer of his.  Doesn't make him a traitor.  Why would he do anything involving the US, given how hard he was burned?  Prince doesn't provide "armed" services for China because he's probably legally bound from doing so because I am certain he likely held a clearance until very recently.  So he's doing logistics.  Nothing wrong with serving a market. It is telling that China is the one country committed to bringing capitalism to Africa.  Predatory capitalism, to be sure.  But at least they aren't taking over the governments (overtly anyway) and at least they aren't imposing wide eyed idealistic restrictions that are completely inconsistent with the facts and circumstances of the local environment.

Go read the foreign corrupt practices act.  Do you think you can do business in any part of the third world as a US company that simultaneously does business with the US Gov with that as the law?  Nope.  You are being held responsible for circumstances you neither control nor can correct.

ETA spelling, context

We did this up through the time of the Banana Republics.  China on the other hand learned from us that it's much cheaper and easier to support whoever is in power, get what you want/need and get out.  Their road projects, schools and other construction projects are far cheaper than sending in troops both monetarily in the long run and as part of the old smoke and mirrors trick.  To the rest of the world they appear to be doing "humanitarian good" that other countries don't want to be bothered with but of course they're also exploiting mining and other resources while everyone is looking at the high profile stuff.

China is also being faced with an increasing middle class and subsequent increasing wages.  They know they're not going to be able to compete at the same level they have been and they are getting what they want now.  

War with the US is a funny proposition.  The US is their biggest cash cow and they know it but on the other hand, they've been beaten down for centuries and they feel it's their turn to be the big kid on the block.  They also hold long term grudges and still haven't forgiven Japan for what they did.  They're also in a position of needing more fish to feed their growing and increasingly affluent population (note all of the recent fishing grounds disputes).  They also know that there is almost no way they could occupy the US; we'd easily sink anything they tried to send troops over on and they, like so many other countries, think that every US citizen is armed to the teeth.  The future is going to be interesting.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:23:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
he's right
View Quote

Standby to get screamed at that you hate America and why don't you just move to somalia, etc...
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:23:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:26:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

True...but the public opinion was significantly impacted by an active campaign against the Iraq mission, done primarily for political advantage rather than any sort of solid principle.

Of course, the mission itself had a number of issues from the jump off, not least of which was the flawed assumptions of the people who made the big decisions.

Plenty of blame to go around on Iraq, and just about everybody deserves some criticism from the pols to the people to the military leadership.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Of course the Obama administration fucked up Iraq.  But the reason that administration had such power, is rooted in the fact that the American people had given up on the project.  We were all witness to this on boards such as this.  The administration, lacking anything resembling leadership or vision, merely did the bidding of the American people, taking the path of least resistance.

True...but the public opinion was significantly impacted by an active campaign against the Iraq mission, done primarily for political advantage rather than any sort of solid principle.

Of course, the mission itself had a number of issues from the jump off, not least of which was the flawed assumptions of the people who made the big decisions.

Plenty of blame to go around on Iraq, and just about everybody deserves some criticism from the pols to the people to the military leadership.

No doubt.  And if Obama were to do the right thing and re-engage in Iraq now, that "done primarily for political advantage rather than any sort of solid principle" would be coming from the Right, and we would all see GD erupt in rhetoric that would make Code Pink blush.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:53:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Maybe Im naive to a fault in loving this country, but I think we can be great again if the rights things were to happen.
View Quote

You could say that about anywhere. His point is that the United States as it is constituted now is no longer a particularly great place to call home.

North Korea could be great... if everything about it were the opposite of how it is now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

We are still "king" of technological innovation in the silicon valley sense.  Entertainment and pop culture as well.  Our armaments industry is supreme, but losing market share as a strictly US effort; that said, it only remains in place because it is heavily subsidized to keep production lines running so they could ramp up if necessary.

I don't think we're out there conquering new markets.  With the advancement in frakking and oil sands recovery (and the like0 We could be 10x the energy powerhouse of the middle east, but "green" politics make that expensive.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Maybe Im naive to a fault in loving this country, but I think we can be great again if the rights things were to happen.

When was the last time we moved in that direction?

Serious question.

We are still "king" of technological innovation in the silicon valley sense.  Entertainment and pop culture as well.  Our armaments industry is supreme, but losing market share as a strictly US effort; that said, it only remains in place because it is heavily subsidized to keep production lines running so they could ramp up if necessary.

I don't think we're out there conquering new markets.  With the advancement in frakking and oil sands recovery (and the like0 We could be 10x the energy powerhouse of the middle east, but "green" politics make that expensive.

All that is to say that American entrepreneurs are still the best in the world. We still have the most innovative citizenry. We just have an overarching and frankly oppressive government that has strangled so many great ventures.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's ironic that State personally blamed him for actions of operators on the ground in Baghdad when he was thousands of miles away (they went on the Debarred list over that, didn't they?) and yet the Sec of State all the way down get a total pass for Benghazi.

I would say it looks like a double standard if I didn't know better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In before the Fuck Erik Prince crowd.....

Seems he was a pretty valuable asset before the political winds shifted, and the "BUSH LIED, PEOPLE DIED!" party took power.  

Vilified by the State Department for doing what they asked him to do.

It's ironic that State personally blamed him for actions of operators on the ground in Baghdad when he was thousands of miles away (they went on the Debarred list over that, didn't they?) and yet the Sec of State all the way down get a total pass for Benghazi.

I would say it looks like a double standard if I didn't know better.

Some animals are more equal than others.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:57:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:59:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Link to interview in the WSJ

A fairly stinging indictment of our political class and business/taxing/regulatory environment... when doing business with Africa (alongside the ChiComms) is more attractive than here.  
View Quote

He's absolutely right. If I were an alien that just landed on earth and I wanted to start running a business, the U.S. and Western Europe wouldn't even be on my radar.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
In before the Fuck Erik Prince crowd.....
View Quote

His company did some stupid cowboy things at the micro level, but overall I have a lot of respect for him and his viewpoint.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:01:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yes,  outlawing hoodrats from getting an abortion and keeping fags from getting married will turn shit around right quick.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes,  outlawing hoodrats from getting an abortion and keeping fags from getting married will turn shit around right quick.  

Nobody on the religious right argues that. We argue that those things are wrong, and the fact that they are presently legal is a sign of a much larger problem.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#28]
I love how he thinks of himself as this entrepreneur who creates wealth and value from scratch when in reality his former company made almost all its money by sucking on the Federal teat.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There's only one way to fix things: revolution
View Quote

Nothing centralizes power greater than a political revolution. Not to mention all of the death.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:05:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Now he's making Millions in Chinese contracts.

He's a whore, upset that his oldest and bestest client felt guilty about cheating and stopped buying him jewelry.  But, now he's found a new client with deep pockets and less qualms about whoring around.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And yet Blackwater XE Academi is still chugging along making millions of dollars in American contracts.
He left in 2009.  

He's a whore, upset that his oldest and bestest client felt guilty about cheating and stopped buying him jewelry.  But, now he's found a new client with deep pockets and less qualms about whoring around.

Really?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:05:54 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
That ship has sailed.

There many members of the Free Shit Army for this country to return to the greatness that was once America.

From now on (with the political power the FSA has) it is just how much the wealth of the country is going to be stolen each year.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That ship has sailed.

There many members of the Free Shit Army for this country to return to the greatness that was once America.

From now on (with the political power the FSA has) it is just how much the wealth of the country is going to be stolen each year.

The libtards run out of other people money already and they just started. I don't give much time before SHTF
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sadly, I feel we'll have to make the left fear us to get this country back on track.

They won't, and I don't want to be a right wing version of Stalin, making political opponents "disappear" under cover of darkness.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:08:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Really?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
And yet Blackwater XE Academi is still chugging along making millions of dollars in American contracts.
He left in 2009.  

Really?

Yes, really.

The Erik Prince worship here is a bit funny, frankly.  He goes where the money is, and - like Russian propagandists - uses the right buzzwords to distract people from what he is actually doing, to the point that he has become a "Patriot" for working for the Chinese.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#34]
He is right.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:10:40 AM EDT
[#35]
I want in on this company.

Sounds lucrative and exciting venture capitalism.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:10:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:11:50 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Yes, really.

The Erik Prince worship here is a bit funny, frankly.  He goes where the money is, and - like Russian propagandists - uses the right buzzwords to distract people from what he is actually doing, to the point that he has become a "Patriot" for working for the Chinese.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He left in 2009.  

Really?

Yes, really.

He's not helping them sack Los Angeles. He's helping them build roads in Africa. What's the problem, exactly? Are you really that paranoid that you believe Chinese roads in Africa imperil American "National Security?"
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Pretty much.  He's the guy that is detested and maligned by the limousine liberal....until he's needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's the "break glass in case of emergency " kind of guy.

Pretty much.  He's the guy that is detested and maligned by the limousine liberal....until he's needed.

You said that right..........
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:21:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He's the "break glass in case of emergency " kind of guy.

Just like Batman!
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

He's not helping them sack Los Angeles. He's helping them build roads in Africa. What's the problem, exactly? Are you really that paranoid that you believe Chinese roads in Africa imperil American "National Security?"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Yes, really.

Are you really so naive as to think Chinese intentions in Africa are so benign?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Dude sounds like a fucking emo. "Little advantage to being an American citizen".

Bullshit, if you really have been to alot of places in the world.... America is almost like living in a real life science fiction movie.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:29:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really?

Yes, really.

Please tell me how China will conquer the United States by virtue of its road network in Africa.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with all of this (from both of you).

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:32:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Dude sounds like a fucking emo. "Little advantage to being an American citizen".

Bullshit, if you really have been to alot of places in the world.... America is almost like living in a real life science fiction movie.
View Quote

Especially when comparing it to China, it's tough to take him seriously.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:33:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Please tell me how China will conquer the United States by virtue of its road network in Africa.
View Quote

Please tell me why you are feasting on Red Herring and missing the big picture.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:33:38 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

he's right
View Quote
2nd post nailed it. I was at the DMV the other day ( not being able to do what I went there to do)

The lady behind the counter was helping an undocumented person who wanted to apply for a drivers license. She told him he would have to wait for the new law to go into effect. Blood was boiling.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:37:13 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

He's not doing security.  He's doing logistics.  

And I damned sure believe he has a legitimate beef about the treatment he and his company received during all the Iraq recriminations.  Did you miss this paragraph?

More IRS targeting.  Just like Sarah Palin's father... and Dr. Ben Carson... and hundreds of Tea Party groups...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Absolutely.  He couldn't possibly have a principled objection to getting stabbed in the back by the very people who hired him.  

To be fair, I don't know that doing "security" for Chinese interests in Africa really counts as something principled.

He's not doing security.  He's doing logistics.  

And I damned sure believe he has a legitimate beef about the treatment he and his company received during all the Iraq recriminations.  Did you miss this paragraph?

According to Mr. Prince, IRS auditors told his colleagues that they had "never been under so much pressure to get someone as to get Erik Prince," and congressional staffers promised, "We're going to ride you till you're out of business."

More IRS targeting.  Just like Sarah Palin's father... and Dr. Ben Carson... and hundreds of Tea Party groups...

What does that have to do with working for the Chinese, again?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll bite. What is the big picture? Sovereign nations need a license from the US to do business in Africa?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top