BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:51:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A guy telling someone to do in a thread about communist products. Makes sense, when are you moving to glorious Cuba?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where's that Cohiba from?

There is one I really like of their Cuban ones. Not sure where else they are made.

I ask because smoking and possessing cuban cigars is illegal in this country. Talking about smoking illegal things gets you banned. There should be no exceptions.

Thank you mr hall monitor, now go away plz kthx.

A guy telling someone to do in a thread about communist products. Makes sense, when are you moving to glorious Cuba?

I've visited, didn't care to stay. The rum and cigars were top notch though.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:52:52 PM EDT
[#2]
When did OP acquire his cohiba?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:52:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Okay, at least I know they're real now.  Thanks for the confirmation!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was greeted by this when I just now opened my humidor.

I don't go in it often, and it's generally TOO dry which it is right now.  The mold must have been from when I added distilled last.

ALL Cubans, fucking ruined.  the bottom section isn't showing mold, just dry.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/StevesZZ5/5113812D-B673-4A53-B4F6-F120106757B3_zpsd42canni.jpg

You have illegal items. You need to be banned.

Okay, at least I know they're real now.  Thanks for the confirmation!

no its a fake.. Sorry bro..

send it to me for disposal..
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The 5 rows of dots (3 above Cohiba) and gold embossed lettering didn't come until mid 2003. Before then, it was not embossed with only 4 rows of squares (2 above Cohiba). The other difference is his says La Habana, Cuba whereas the embossed only says Habana, Cuba.

It looks good from the picture to me.    

Beat by a couple seconds... What the guy above said. The majority of habanos in the U.S. are fake but all the bands appear to be older styles. Easier to reproduce and whatnot. From the picture, nothing jumped out to me and screamed fake. Didn't look too hard either though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's some of the good (other than being dried out) ones.  Real.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/StevesZZ5/0860CB15-7D8F-4802-85D6-F7E9550CCEE2_zpsna6dsflu.jpg
http://coolmaterial.com/feature/decoded-how-to-spot-fake-cohibas/I don't see raised gold lettering and three rows of white dots above the writing.  Just sayin.

The 5 rows of dots (3 above Cohiba) and gold embossed lettering didn't come until mid 2003. Before then, it was not embossed with only 4 rows of squares (2 above Cohiba). The other difference is his says La Habana, Cuba whereas the embossed only says Habana, Cuba.

It looks good from the picture to me.    

Beat by a couple seconds... What the guy above said. The majority of habanos in the U.S. are fake but all the bands appear to be older styles. Easier to reproduce and whatnot. From the picture, nothing jumped out to me and screamed fake. Didn't look too hard either though.

I'm pretty sure the 'La Habana' should not be vertically centered on the pre-2003 sticks.  I 'think' it should be closer to the bottom of the band, the post-2003 sticks had the vertically centered 'Habana'.  That's the only other thing that really stuck out to me.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#5]
These cigars are all from 1998.

I dissected the molded Punch and the Cohiba as a sacrifice as mentioned above.  No internal mold, just dry as fall leaves.

Posting pics in a few, my phone isn't cooperating.

ETA:

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:02:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When did OP acquire his cohiba?
View Quote

Just recently.  I picked up a few Cohibas and a couple of CAO Brazilia Gols local. Some don't like the CAO sticks but the Gols aren't bad for a cheaper Maduro.  

I've never smoked a Cuban made cigar.  Headed to Haiti in the fall so I may try one out there.  Is there really that much difference?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:04:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Macanudo and McCallan 12 for me.

I had a couple of Cuban Cohibas in Afghanistan, before the fun police (aka US Army) shut down the shops selling them.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:08:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm no cigar aficionado but I thought good cigars were rolled with big leaf sections, not crumbled up filler like your perpendicar cut shows.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Macanudo and McCallan 12 for me.

I had a couple of Cuban Cohibas in Afghanistan, before the fun police (aka US Army) shut down the shops selling them.  
View Quote
Smoked my share of "Cubans" while in Iraq.  Didn't care much then if they were legit.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:14:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm no cigar aficionado but I thought good cigars were rolled with big leaf sections, not crumbled up filler like your perpendicar cut shows.
View Quote

That's not crumbled up filler.  That's tightly rolled leaf.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:17:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I dissected the molded Punch and the Cohiba as a sacrifice as mentioned above.  No internal mold, just dry as fall leaves.

ETA:
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/StevesZZ5/48EDB97B-FC07-47D8-B9C1-A27963EFCD25_zpsnniusll4.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/StevesZZ5/D4543E72-F48A-4EEF-BFCD-AB252627E1BC_zps3sva5aan.jpg
View Quote

If the rest aren't covered in green hairs you're probably GTG. Just dust them off and smoke. Personally I smoke mine on the drier side but if it's cracking etc. you're going to need to gradually rehydrate them back from the dead. As in, slowly over several weeks or even months or you could end up with some cigar bombs that will explode from the inside out. I'd start by adding just a little distilled water at a time to your water media. If you notice mold in your water media you need to replace it too, don't try cleaning anything but surface mold off of it. All this assumes that you've completely sanitized your humidor of mold using an ammonia & water solution. And let me emphasize distilled water as all other forms of water will introduce mold spores.

When you can, grab some 65% & 69% Bovedas from Amazon and a digital hygrometer. This will lessen your maintenance needs considerably as long as your humidor makes a good seal. Also, Boveda packs once expended can be recharged numerous times by isolating them in a tupperware container with a sponge filled with distilled water (on a saucer of course) for a week or so. Long term cigar aging is usually recommended around 66-69% humidity at less than 70 degrees, short term smoking is up to you but I prefer 65% or less for the most part. It depends on the cigar and it depends on you, but people usually keep Habanos on the drier side.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:23:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok. recover what you have and enjoy your smokes.

Life is too full of bullshit to wonder about second opinions from assholes like me on the Internet.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:25:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I ask because smoking and possessing cuban cigars is illegal in this country. Talking about smoking illegal things gets you banned. There should be no exceptions.

ETA: I guess they are not. Thanks Obama!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is one I really like of their Cuban ones. Not sure where else they are made.

Even if bought in Cuba a good majority of those Cohibas are fake. People travel to Cuba or countries where they aren't illegal and get fakes a majority of the time. The Cohibas you get in the US are actually owned by a different company that licenses the name.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:26:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If the rest aren't covered in green hairs you're probably GTG. Just dust them off and smoke. Personally I smoke mine on the drier side but if it's cracking etc. you're going to need to gradually rehydrate them back from the dead. As in, slowly over several weeks or even months or you could end up with some cigar bombs that will explode from the inside out. I'd start by adding just a little distilled water at a time to your water media. If you notice mold in your water media you need to replace it too, don't try cleaning anything but surface mold off of it. All this assumes that you've completely sanitized your humidor of mold using an ammonia & water solution. And let me emphasize distilled water as all other forms of water will introduce mold spores.

When you can, grab some 65% & 69% Bovedas from Amazon and a digital hygrometer. This will lessen your maintenance needs considerably as long as your humidor makes a good seal. Also, Boveda packs once expended can be recharged numerous times by isolating them in a tupperware container with a sponge filled with distilled water (on a saucer of course) for a week or so. Long term cigar aging is usually recommended around 66-69% humidity at less than 70 degrees, short term smoking is up to you but I prefer 65% or less for the most part. It depends on the cigar and it depends on you, but people usually keep Habanos on the drier side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/StevesZZ5/48EDB97B-FC07-47D8-B9C1-A27963EFCD25_zpsnniusll4.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u88/StevesZZ5/D4543E72-F48A-4EEF-BFCD-AB252627E1BC_zps3sva5aan.jpg

THANK YOU for this.  I was going to rehydrate so I can have one on Independence Day, but it can wait.

I'll head on over to Amazon and pick up those items, and prepare my humidor for an ammonia cleaning once everything arrives.  I'll start hydrating them SLOWLY with what I've got on hand.

Thanks again for the info.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:30:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Anytime. If you wait for the Bovedas start out with the 65% first, check it every few days at first and replace it with a fresh pack once it starts to dry out. As I said you can recharge them. The 69% might be too much too soon. Patience is the key.

Happy smoking / drinking
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you look up you'll see I had no problem saying I was wrong. I'm sorry you feel the need to tell people to fuck off for having a different opinion. Maybe when you grow up, it'll be better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was merely a strong suggestion, and in lieu of telling you to fuck off.
Sorry if I offended you by calling you out on your bs. Have a nice day.

If you look up you'll see I had no problem saying I was wrong. I'm sorry you feel the need to tell people to fuck off for having a different opinion. Maybe when you grow up, it'll be better.

I felt the need to tell you to fuck off because of how you were calling to ban the OP because you "thought" you knew what you were talking about, not because of opinion differences.

Im done arguing with you, obviously you cant grasp what I'm throwing at you.

Sorry for crapping in your thread op, and I wish I was able to have a cigar and bourbon like you are.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:40:38 PM EDT
[#17]
This is the digital hygrometer I bought to replace the analog that came with my Savoy humidor, it takes up less room than the standard Caliber IV.

http://www.amazon.com/Caliber-Digital-Hygrometer-Western-Humidor/dp/B00JXOKS2E

You'll want to buy the larger size Boveda pouches, at least the 60 gram. Just a few packs is all you need.

http://www.amazon.com/Boveda-2-Way-Humidity-Control-4-Pack/dp/B007WHG8B4/
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:41:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I felt the need to tell you to fuck off because of how you were calling to ban the OP because you "thought" you knew what you were talking about, not because of opinion differences.

Sorry for crapping in your thread op, and I wish I was able to have a cigar and bourbon like you are.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was merely a strong suggestion, and in lieu of telling you to fuck off.
Sorry if I offended you by calling you out on your bs. Have a nice day.

Not a problem.  We kept it on track for ya.  Enjoy one when ya can.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 5:24:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. Go ahead and report me. You ever take the time to think this website has members that might not live in the U.S.? Or travel?

Just picked this up for later.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:09:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

ETA:
View Quote

You could always smoke it in a pipe.  I've had some tobacco blends that incorporate cuban leaf...
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:10:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

ETA:
View Quote

Also, you better get your humidor working right.  Seriously, just get some 65% beads and pop it in a cooler.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top