Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:29:41 PM EDT
[#1]
As everyone else has already stated, we use block extensions that slide over the pad for trucks at work.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:33:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

??
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nevertheless, the risers do seem like a fun project...may give me a reason to finally use my HF 110v MIG welder!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8e/b9/fb/8eb9fb9ee1baa74917a008480d2bd320.jpg

??

He's saying you'll be the next winner of a Darwin Award if you think a 110v welder is the right tool to build something structural, meant to support 2 tons over your head.

Seriously, just stop
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:36:11 PM EDT
[#3]
He's saying you'll be the next winner of a Darwin Award if you think a 110v welder is the right tool to build something structural, meant to support 2 tons over your head.
View Quote

Its OK, I'll just bevel the pieces and use two passes.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:43:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
At my job we use adapters kind of like these and stack them to fit our needs

http://www.challengerlifts.com/tab%20pages/accessories/CL10series/images/10315%20Adapter%20Organiz%230009.jpg
View Quote

FTW

This is exactly what I was thinking. Shit we have adapters at the stores that take up the "space" between the lift and the vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:46:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:52:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm going to step away and watch this shit show unfold. I've given you real option that is used in every 4X4 shop USA. There is not one person that will say I'm wrong. Have fun
View Quote

Agreed.

We have 7 - 14k 2 posts (100's) and we use blocks that were purchased from the manufacturer. In ground or above ground, pad lift of arm lift.

Leave the base and the arms alone. You are asking for trouble.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:55:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Seriously, just stop
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nevertheless, the risers do seem like a fun project...may give me a reason to finally use my HF 110v MIG welder!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8e/b9/fb/8eb9fb9ee1baa74917a008480d2bd320.jpg

??

Seriously, just stop

2 tons? What are y'all driving Prius's.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:55:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Edited ~ medicmandan
View Quote

Seriously, what is your problem?  Any reason this can't remain friendly?  I realize that GD seems to encourage people to act out, but this is really uncalled for...and I've seen site staff give timeouts for a lot less.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:56:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I gotta agree with them on this one.

However, thread was helpful since I've been looking for something like this for the shop, so thanks for that.

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:57:44 PM EDT
[#10]
2 tons? What are y'all driving Prius's.
View Quote

That made me chuckle.

Interestingly enough, my YJ is 3300 lbs, the CJ around 3500ish with hard top and doors, and I think my Mazda truck is around 3400 or 3700lbs...can't remember for sure.  Oh, my Toyota car?  2700...
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 12:10:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Edited ~ medicmandan
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm going to step away and watch this shit show unfold. I've given you real option that is used in every 4X4 shop USA. There is not one person that will say I'm wrong. Have fun

Not saying they won't work but they may not fit and he may not need them.

Edited ~ medicmandan

LOL, I don't see how my saying consult with the manufacturer is really that bad. I don't want to see somebody get hurt or in the event something fails and the manufacturer blame it on add on parts. My point is really about CYA more than anything.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You truely have no idea what you're talking about. Bevel or no bevel, 2 passes or 200. That welder still doesn't have the shit to reliably weld what you'd need it to weld.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:42:34 AM EDT
[#13]
You got the correct replies.

I've got 20 years lifting cars at dealerships and in the field.

Good luck
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#14]
The only reason I wouldn't go with risers, and stick to extensions, would be that risers would create a trip hazard.  Having 4 steel beams hovering 12" off the floor seems like a bad idea.  At the very least, you'll bash the shit out of your shins once or twice a year.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 9:52:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You truely have no idea what you're talking about. Bevel or no bevel, 2 passes or 200. That welder still doesn't have the shit to reliably weld what you'd need it to weld.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I notice you didn't ask him what steel he plans on using.  That kinda matters.

You would be shocked at the amount of structure I've seen hanging from 1/4" plate with tack welds only.  A full penetration weld would be fine if he's using A36.  I also think a riser would be compression loads, not shearing loads.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Am I the only one who thinks that thing shouldn't be bolted to a slab?

When we rebuilt our shop, we put in 36" footers for our lift.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Any thing you do to modify the Max Jack will relieve the manufacturer of product liability. You don't want to do this as it will shift the liability to you. Given the spectrum of accidents that can result from the use of it, the pay out can be in the 7 figure range.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#18]
The proper adapters are the ONLY way to go.  Why do you want to engineer something that could easily kill you.  I've worked/owned auto shops for 30 years.  I've seen cars fall off of lifts and I've seen an entire lift collapse.  No one died but one guy was really fucked up for a long time.  File this under "bad idea" and move on.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm a mechanical engineer, but not a pe. Assuming the bases are rated for the same load as the lift and are properly secured to the floor and lift, there's no problem. With that said, I don't trust your ability to design said bases so I also recommend the extensions.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I had a car fall on my chest and squash me.  Last rites, coma...it was bad.

I cant even read this thread as it makes me all queasy inside.
Whatever you decide please be safe.  I set my car up right and everything STILL failed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 1:15:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You would be shocked at the amount of structure I've seen hanging from 1/4" plate with tack welds only.  A full penetration weld would be fine if he's using A36.  I also think a riser would be compression loads, not shearing loads.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who cares about material? I'm talking about the capability of his 110v welder that can't even reliably weld 1/4" steel.

Tell me more about your metallurgical background.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 8:09:28 PM EDT
[#22]
The only reason I wouldn't go with risers, and stick to extensions, would be that risers would create a trip hazard. Having 4 steel beams hovering 12" off the floor seems like a bad idea. At the very least, you'll bash the shit out of your shins once or twice a year.
View Quote

I don't think you are following me.  The risers really take up no more space than the bases of the columns themselves, and present no more of a tripping hazard.  Yes, they would be slightly larger, but not enough to really create any problems.  Right now, the real tripping hazard is with the hydraulic hoses being on the floor, but that will be remedied once I run them permanently overhead.  

Am I the only one who thinks that thing shouldn't be bolted to a slab?
View Quote

If I am not mistaken, all 2-post lifts are bolted down to concrete slabs.  Some use preset rods that are poured in place, others use anchors like I have.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 8:10:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I had a car fall on my chest and squash me.  Last rites, coma...it was bad.

I cant even read this thread as it makes me all queasy inside.
Whatever you decide please be safe.  I set my car up right and everything STILL failed.
View Quote

Details....we need details!
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Who cares about material? I'm talking about the capability of his 110v welder that can't even reliably weld 1/4" steel.
View Quote

I believe my Harbor Freight welders will be more than sufficient for 1/4"+ steel...

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I believe my Harbor Freight welders will be more than sufficient for 1/4"+ steel...

http://i.imgur.com/7PGcCXo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/65soSsu.jpg
<a href="http://s16.photobucket.com/user/jason280_3/media/TIG%20Cart/TIG%20Cart%205_zpssyqnefko.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/jason280_3/TIG%20Cart/TIG%20Cart%205_zpssyqnefko.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/7PGcCXo.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/65soSsu.jpg
<a href="http://s16.photobucket.com/user/jason280_3/media/TIG%20Cart/TIG%20Cart%205_zpssyqnefko.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/jason280_3/TIG%20Cart/TIG%20Cart%205_zpssyqnefko.jpg</a>

Enjoy your surface weld.
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
At my job we use adapters kind of like these and stack them to fit our needs

http://www.challengerlifts.com/tab%20pages/accessories/CL10series/images/10315%20Adapter%20Organiz%230009.jpg
View Quote

This...
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 8:31:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Enjoy your surface weld.
View Quote

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top