Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:25:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Elvis was a great ENTERTAINER, He didn't even write most of his music. If you want to watch a fat guy in rhinestones and a cape pose onstage then more power to you. At least the Beatles wrote their music. If it's about the music (not whether they are hippies or did drugs or whatever) then there is no way Elvis can even compare to the Beatles.

Another thing I find interesting is that I don't know anyone who casually listens to Elvis. Every Elvis fan I know is a middle aged or older woman who still thinks he's alive and other wierdness.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Both were great in their own way...  Elvis was a great entertainer, the Beatles were gifted writers/musicians/entertainers.  Elvis was heavily influenced by gospel and black artists.   The Beatles initially drew upon black artists (Little Richard, Chuck Berry), blues musicians and rockers like Elvis, Buddy Holley and Carl Perkins - but rapidly assimilated other musical influences in to their music.  The best test to determine if art/music is really art/music and not just current fashion, is to see if the work is still vital years after the work is done.  Both Elvis and the Beatles pass this audition.  The Beatles catalog, however, is much more comprehensive.

Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd have to say that my vote goes to

The Beatles
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 9:48:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Beatles, Best.
Simple, Done.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beatles lyrics……… 'she love you yeah, yeah, yeah"  

versus……

Sympathy For The Devil (Jagger/Richards)

Come on Andy, not fair.  You are comparing music the Beatles wrote in 64 to Stones music from 68.  

Fair point well made Atencio… so how about this dandy of a 1968 Beatles track?……

"Beatles - Back In The U.S.S.R. lyrics

Flew in from Miami Beach BOAC
Didn't get to bed last night
On the way the paper bag was on my knee
Man I had a dreadful flight
I'm back in the U.S.S.R.
You don't know how lucky you are boy
Back in the U.S.S.R.

Been away so long I hardly knew the place
Gee it's good to be back home
Leave it till tomorrow to unpack my case
Honey disconnect the phone
I'm back in the U.S.S.R.
You don't know how lucky you are boy
Back in the U.S.S.R.

Well the Ukraine girls really knock me out
They leave the West behind
And Moscow girls make me sing and shout
That Georgia's always on my mind.

I'm back in the U.S.S.R.
You don't know how lucky you are boys
Back in the U.S.S.R.

Show me round your snow peaked mountains way down south
Take me to your daddy's farm
Let me hear your balalaika's ringing out
Come and keep your comrade warm.
I'm back in the U.S.S.R.
You don't know how lucky you are boys
Back in the U.S.S.R."

Beatles were a bunch of left wing hippies by 68… Mick and the boys were many things, but commies? no way!

Andy

That song was a total goof on the Beach Boys.  And it proved that even as a goof, the Beatles could make music equivalent to other lower level bands with no effort.

Exactly.  And they had a tribute to Carl Perkins and The King with "Honey Don't".  Which is a greta fucking tune itself.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 10:52:51 PM EDT
[#6]
The Beatles never had to fight Egyption ghouls who suck your soul out of your asshole.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:07:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I knew all these Toyota& Audi drivers would vote for the Beetles.

Nobody likes America anymore.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:44:53 AM EDT
[#8]
This list covers most of the Beatles` UK and US chart records (but not all!) plus some other records...
Most UK #1 singles – 17

Most Billboard US #1 singles – 20

Most Cash Box US #1 singles – 22

Most Record World US #1 singles – 23

Most UK #1 Albums – 15

Most Billboard US #1 albums – 19

Most Cash Box US #1 albums – 15

Most Record World US #1 albums – 17

Most weeks spent in the UK album chart – 1,260 weeks

Most weeks spent in the Billboard US album chart by a Group – 1,985 weeks

Most weeks spent in the Billboard US Singles chart by a Group – 629 weeks

Most weeks spent in the UK singles chart by a Group – 456 weeks

Most weeks at #1 position in the UK album chart – 174 weeks

Most weeks at #1 position in the Billboard US album chart – 132 weeks

Highest jump to #1 in the Billboard US singles chart – 27 to 1 (Can`t Buy Me Love, April 4, 1964)

Most songs in the Billboard Top 100 singles chart – 14 (April 11, 1964)

Most songs in the Billboard Top 40 singles chart – 7 (April 11 & April 25, 1964)

Most songs in the Billboard Top 20 singles chart – 6 (April 11 & 18, 1964)

Most songs in the Billboard Top 10 singles chart – 5 (April 4 & 11, 1964)

Most songs in the US Top 5 singles chart – 5 (April 4, 1964)

Most chart entries in the Billboard US singles chart within a calendar year – 30 (1964)

Only act that replaced itself at the #1 position two times in the Billboard US singles chart (March 21 & April 4, 1964)

Most UK #1 EPs (Extended Play) – 8

Most weeks at #1 position in the UK EP chart – 63 weeks

Most complete ever domination of the three UK charts (singles, albums, EPs): the Beatles had the #1 UK single, the #2 UK single, the #1 UK album, the #2 UK album, the #1 UK EP, the #2 UK EP & the #3 UK EP for three weeks from December 12, 1963 to December 26, 1963

Most complete ever domination of the Billboard US Singles & Albums chart: the Beatles had the #1, the #2, the #3, the #4 & the #5 US singles as well as the #1 & the #2 US albums for one week (April 4, 1964)

Most complete ever domination of the UK and US singles chart: the Beatles had the UK #1 single, the UK #1 & UK #2 album, the #1 UK EP, the US #1 to US #5 singles & the US #1 and US #2 albums at once (April 4, 1964)

The Beatles held the #1 and #2 positions in the Billboard US albums chart for 9 consecutive weeks on two separate occasions (March 2 to April 27, 1964, as well as August 29 to October 24, 1964)

Most Billboard US #1 albums within a calendar year – 3 (1964, 1965, 1966)

Most Billboard US #1 singles within a calendar year – 6 (1964)

Most Billboard US #1 albums within a 12 month period – 4 (February 15, 1964 to February 15, 1965 as well as January 9, 1965 to January 9, 1966 as well as September 11, 1965 to September 11, 1966)

Largest one week singles sales in the UK – 970,000 (I Want To Hold Your Hand)

Largest one week singles sales in the US – 940,225 (Can`t Buy Me Love)

Largest advance sale in the UK for a single – 1,400,000 (Can`t Buy Me Love)

Largest international singles advance sale – 2,100,000 (Can`t Buy Me Love)

Largest advance order for a single in the US – 1,700,000 (Can`t Buy Me Love)

Best selling album in the UK ever – Sgt. Pepper`s Lonely Hearts Club Band (approx. 4.5 million)

Act with the most RIAA diamond awards for album sales exceeding 10 million in the US (five)

Act with the highest RIAA certified album sales – 163.5 million

The RIAA certified album sales are equal to 328 Gold albums (a record)

The RIAA certified album sales are equal to 161 Platinum albums (a record)

Act with the highest RIAA combined album and singles sales – 192.5 million

Fastest selling album in history – Beatles 1 (20 million in 9 weeks)

Most UK singles chart top ten hits by a Group – 28

Most Billboard US singles chart top ten hits by a Group – 34

Most consecutive UK singles chart top ten hits by a Group – 24

Most weeks spent at #1 position in the UK singles chart by a Group – 69

Most weeks spent at #1 position in the UK singles chart within a calendar year by a Group – 16

Most consecutive #1 hits in the UK singles chart – 11 (from “From Me To You” in 1963 to “Yellow Sumbarine” in 1966)

Most consecutive #1 hits in the Billboard US singles chart by a Group – 6 (from “I Feel Fine” to “We Can Work It Out” – record held together with the Bee Gees)

Most consecutive #1 hit albums in the Billboard US albums chart – 8 (from “Beatles VI” to “The Beatles” – this run was interrupted by “Yellow Submarine”, which stalled at #2, behind the Beatles` own “White Album” in February 1969)

Most #1 hits in the UK singles chart within a calendar year by a Group – 3 (1963, 1964, 1965)

First act to debut at #1 in the UK album chart (August 14, 1965)

Most weeks spent on the UK singles chart during the 1960s by a Group – 333 weeks

Most weeks spent on the UK album chart during the 1960s by a Group – 435 weeks

Most consecutive weeks at the #1 position in the UK album chart – 51 weeks (May 11, 1963 to May 2, 1964)

Most weeks at #1 in the UK album chart within a calendar year – 40 weeks (1964)

Most #1 albums in the UK album chart within a calendar year – 3 (1965)

First act to replace itself at #1 position in the UK singles chart (December 12, 1963)

First act to replace itself at the #1 position in the UK album chart (December 7, 1963 as well as December 19, 1964)

Album that spent the most weeks at #1 in the UK album chart by a Group – Please Please Me (30 weeks)

Non-Soundtrack Album that spent the most consecutive weeks at #1 in the UK album chart – Please Please Me (30 weeks)

Act with the most #1 debuts in the history of the UK album chart – 8 (record held together with David Bowie)

First Group to debut at #1 in the UK singles chart (April 23, 1969)

Group that spent the most consecutive weeks in the UK singles chart – 105 weeks (from October 11, 1962 to October 15, 1964)

George Martin is the most successful producer in the UK & US Singles chart with 28 UK #1 hit singles and 24 Billboard US #1 hit singles

Group with the most #2 hits in the UK singles chart – 5 (record held together with Queen and Sweet)

Top selling single in the UK of the 1960s (“She Loves You” – “I Want to Hold Your Hand” holds seconds place)

Top selling single in the US of the 1960s (“I Want To Hold Your Hand” – “Hey Jude” holds second place)

Top selling album in the UK of the 1960s (“Sgt. Pepper`s Lonely Heart Club Band”)

Top selling album in the US of the 1960s (“Sgt. Pepper`s Lonely Hearts Club Band” – “A Hard Day`s Night” holds the second place)

Worldwide top selling single of the 1960s (“I Want To Hold Your Hand”)

Worldwide top selling album of the 1960s (“Sgt. Pepper`s Lonely Hearts Club Band”)

Most #1 hit singles in Germany – 12

Most #1 hit albums in Germany by a non-German act – 11

Most #1 hit singles in Australia – 23

Most #1 hit singles in Sweden – 18

Most #1 hit singles in Canada – 22

Most #1 hit singles in Holland – 23

Most top ten hit singles in Germany by a non-German act – 30

Most weeks at #1 position in the German album chart – 113 weeks

Most million selling singles in the UK – 5

Most million selling singles in the US – 29 (record held together with Elvis Presley)

Highest sales within a calendar year in the US – approx. 35 million (1964)

Highest sales within a calendar year worldwide – approx. 75 million (1964)

Only Group whose members all had solo Billboard US #1 singles

Most covered song in history – Yesterday (over 2,500 cover versions)

Beatles songs have been played on US radio more often than anybody else`s songs (according to BMI, the top 20 of Beatles songs accumulate more than 60 million radio performances)

Paul McCartney is the artist who wrote the most #1 hit singles in the Billboard US singles chart – 32 (second place John Lennon – 26)

Paul McCartney is the artist who wrote the most #1 hit singles in the UK singles chart – 26 (second place John Lennon – 25)

Paul McCartney spent 1797 weeks in the UK album chart (Beatles + Wings + Paul Solo – second place John Lennon 1592 weeks)

Most simultaneous weeks at the top of the UK singles and album chart – 45 weeks

------------------

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:00:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Elvis could kick the beatles hippie asses in a heartbeat....

Thank you, Thank you very much.......
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:44:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Elvis never even wrote his own songs.   Where is the comparison?

Both were better then the no talent BS we have today.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Elvis could kick the beatles hippie asses in a heartbeat....

Award for the funnest quote of this thread...especially directly after the above list.

HA!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top