BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:48:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
At my previous house, a neighbor man had Alzheimer's. He would get loose in the neighborhood. Somebody would eventually find him
or recognize he had a problem. If the cops were called old Mr. Sebastian would tell them he couldn't remember his address but lived in
a house with a blue boat upside down against the house.

I had a small rowboat leaning against the deck in back. They always brought him to my house. I then had to take them next door to wake
the wife or his live in nanny.

The old guy bonded with me for some reason. He would show up in my driveway wanting to talk. Mostly while I was busy. He always wanted
to "...do his part to keep the base up and running..." I finally gave in. One time, I gave him a can of paint, brush and cardboard. Told him to
paint the "...hours of operation. Don't bother me until you're done..." Poor guy struggled for a few hours to make a sign, just couldn't
remember how to write. He did paint that cardboard a perfect white... I hung it in the garage. The next day he didn't even know he painted it.
I left it hang.

I'd let him hold a wrench or cup of nails while I was working in the garage. He seemed content to be helping.

The convoluted, rambling conversation could get mind numbing. Repeated EVERYTHING...

Some of us will be there someday if we live long enough...

You are extemely kind. That old man may not have known exactly where he was or why, but he trusted you and enjoyed your company. I'd like to think I'd humor him and handle myself the same way you did.

There were times when I hid from old Sebastian... He had episodes where there was nothing to be done but call the cops and let them call the fire department to take him away. I always wondered what he did for a living, What was the "base" he wanted to help run...

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 6:48:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Alot of what you describe sounds like my grandmother, God bless her.  She never got as bad as you describe, but she obviously had dementia.

She started swearing that people were coming into her house and stealing items and cash from her.  When Mom would go to help her clean up her house all the "stolen" item would invariably turn up hidden behind furniture or in drawers and the cash would turn up between pages of books.

She finally moved in with an uncle and stayed with him until she passed away.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top