Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I left the manufacturing industry because, despite me loving my job and making plenty of money, my blood pressure was 140/120 and I was working so much that it was affecting relationships. I make way less now than I would be, but my quality of life is higher. Good switch.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:18:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Please share exactly which hospital pays their ICU RN's $100-120 an hour so I can apply today.
Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Paramedics make more than RNs where you are? That's fucked up.
After being romantically involved with a couple RNs in my life and now married to an EMT, the medic typically deserves more than a nurse....

Other than a good trauma/surgical nurse, the rest seem to be overpaid babysitters around here.  Pissed a buddy of mine off after telling him my opinion on it since his wife recently finished nursing school.  Asked him what she was allowed to do on her own without asking a dr first.  Got a not much.  Nurse is required to have a dr permission just to administer O2 here not to mention the real stuff.  
There are ICU nurses in some areas making $100-$120 an hour. I haven't seen medics making that much.  

Please share exactly which hospital pays their ICU RN's $100-120 an hour so I can apply today.
Thanks

No shit.They must be working for a place that only treats billionaires.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:19:57 PM EDT
[#3]
OP let me do the math a little differently:

3 years as an RN will have me at 40/hr + differential (avg 44/hr) working 12-13x12s month.
3 years as a medic would get me tops 20/hr (and that is SWEET high pay, AMR is much less) working 17x10s in the city or 22/hr OT adjusted working 5x48s in a rural areas (and some places won't pay you for the 2x8hrs of noct unless you work during it)

I learned the 2 on 4 off in EMS really means 2 on, 1 recovery, 3 off.

OP, built in OT is nice, but as a RN, you can still find OT and/or PRN shifts at other hospitals (which pay higher than FT staff rates, usually higher than what OT pays).

Pick 1 OT shift as an RN, and I make as much as I would if I were a medic pulling  a 24 hour shift of OT, except I go home at night, sleep, and am refreshed the next day instead of up all night running calls.

Or best of both worlds, get your 1 year experience, get your CCRN, drop to PRN at your current job at a higher rate, pick up FT at trauma center, then drop to PRN at a higher rate after 6mo, and pick up PRN EMS shifts on the side for fun. You'll have a full schedule and a full bank account and a fulfilling professional life! When it stops being fulfilling enough, go to school or get on a helo.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#4]
What I could never  understand is the long shifts.
I am brain dead after 10 hours and my job is easier than the medical field.

24 hour shift  still gets you productivity of a shorter shift.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

They have down times, usually.  It's not like 24 hours of constant work, although it certainly has the potential to be.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Im in Michigan as a nurse too. I make $33 a hour starting out with a max of $40. I currently work in the ED, but had an interview for a hospice home nurse. I'm thinking about taking it. Tired of the low life's coming in for drugs, and the short staffing we always seem to have.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#7]
How does a RN end up working as an EMT?  Where you a RN that practiced before becoming a EMT ?

Those are completely different worlds. Something doesn't feel right about this. Just my 2¢
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Im in Michigan as a nurse too. I make $33 a hour starting out with a max of $40. I currently work in the ED, but had an interview for a hospice home nurse. I'm thinking about taking it. Tired of the low life's coming in for drugs, and the short staffing we always seem to have.
View Quote

Hospice is a lot of hand holding, talking, etc.  It can be a huge emotional ride with every case.  Got to make sure you have the right personality for it.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How does a RN end up working as an EMT?  Where you a RN that practiced before becoming a EMT ?

Those are completely different worlds. Something doesn't feel right about this. Just my 2¢
View Quote

He said he was a paramedic, not an EMT.  

And I worked with several nurses that used to be paramedics.  One still worked as a paramedic a few times a month.  She said she missed it and didn't mind the pay cut to do it every now and again.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hospice is a lot of hand holding, talking, etc.  It can be a huge emotional ride with every case.  Got to make sure you have the right personality for it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My current asst. manager did it before he was my boss. I talked we him about it. Just trying to figure out if it is me or not. Going from 3-12s to 5-8s plus traveling in the ghetto I'm not sure about. I did a lot of hand holding at my old ICU/PCU job.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:46:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Everyone I talk to tells me I'm crazy for leaving the ICU, but after 6 months, I've found its just not for me.

Anyone else ever leave an otherwise good job because they just weren't happy?

View Quote

If it's not for you, you NEED to get out.  

It wasn't for my wife either.  There's lots of ways to monetize your RN though.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

After being romantically involved with a couple RNs in my life and now married to an EMT, the medic typically deserves more than a nurse....

Other than a good trauma/surgical nurse, the rest seem to be overpaid babysitters around here.  Pissed a buddy of mine off after telling him my opinion on it since his wife recently finished nursing school.  Asked him what she was allowed to do on her own without asking a dr first.  Got a not much.  Nurse is required to have a dr permission just to administer O2 here not to mention the real stuff.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Former EMS then RN.

That's not the whole story, even though EMS frequently claims it is in bars near blondes.  An MD writes the orders for EMS just the same as an RN but due to location of work paramedics/EMTs need to work off standing orders.  EMS is still an algorithm.

To the OP try a different kind of nursing.  I did ER for years and had fun now I work in hospice and love it.  I do admissions, I work alone, spend hours talking with patients and get to do a ton of critical thinking (the doc may not see the patient before they pass and you need to get it right)
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

And I worked with several nurses that used to be paramedics.  One still worked as a paramedic a few times a month.  She said she missed it and didn't mind the pay cut to do it every now and again.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't realize there was a difference. Here if you are on an ambulance you are an EMT as far as I know. Never seen a RN do any type of ambulance work except when required for transport.  

You could make more money working PRN at another hospital.

After a quick google search. Apparently an EMT requires around 150 hours of training, were a paramedic has around 1500 hours of training. Both of which are considerably lower than the required training for a RN.  Hell I learned something today.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 12:54:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are ICU nurses in some areas making $100-$120 an hour. I haven't seen medics making that much.  

Thanks

He is (or was) from NYC so probably there.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Former EMS then RN.

That's not the whole story, even though EMS frequently claims it is in bars near blondes.  An MD writes the orders for EMS just the same as an RN but due to location of work paramedics/EMTs need to work off standing orders.  EMS is still an algorithm.

To the OP try a different kind of nursing.  I did ER for years and had fun now I work in hospice and love it.  I do admissions, I work alone, spend hours talking with patients and get to do a ton of critical thinking (the doc may not see the patient before they pass and you need to get it right)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Former EMS then RN.

RNs can be in that same "standing orders, no MD present" situation.  Just depends on the job.  Wife did that for a while.  She also did wound care for a bit.  She was surprised that the doctor's orders in many cases were, "bring in a wound care nurse, do what he/she says."
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 1:06:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey OP i have a off topic question, is the RN career field over saturated with applicants?

from what i hear it can be very difficult to get a job as a qualified RN because that and a teacher is the most common female profession.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#17]
People's problems are nasty.  Can't imagine how you do it.

Machines are better.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Also, $17/hour as a paramedic? We literally have janitors here making that. I know Seattle has a higher cost of living but damn...
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Wait, wait, wait, wait....

You're telling me....

There's a job where I can work 8 days/month? in 24 hour shifts?

DUDE! WHY WOULD YOU EVER LEAVE THAT!?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hey OP i have a off topic question, is the RN career field over saturated with applicants?

from what i hear it can be very difficult to get a job as a qualified RN because that and a teacher is the most common female profession.
View Quote

I'm not sure, honestly. I know a lot of people at a lot of different hospitals from working ems for so long. So I landed a job right away. So I guess I'm pretty fortunate in that regard.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've worked as a paramedic for years in a busy system, but decided the grass must be greener. So I accepted a job as an RN in an ICU. I like the idea of working in critical care, and the pay is better hourly, but it's 3 twelve hour midnight shifts, no guaranteed overtime. As a paramedic I work two 24 hour shifts a week (8 days a month) and bring home more money because of the built in weekly overtime, and pay less babysitter expenses as well.

Everyone I talk to tells me I'm crazy for leaving the ICU, but after 6 months, I've found its just not for me.

Anyone else ever leave an otherwise good job because they just weren't happy?

View Quote

6 months in?

Give it a few more.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 1:29:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You really don't know as much as you think you do.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I've left as many jobs as I have been fired from.  I've lost jobs I loved.  Hated some jobs.  Now I work for a private company instead of the government making 1/3rd the money.  But the other job was killing me.  I wouldn't take 30K more a year just to die slowly of very high stress.

Work you love will lengthen your life.  Work that you don't like or is too stressful, will shorten it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They have down times, usually.  It's not like 24 hours of constant work, although it certainly has the potential to be.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes it is... and then it is really really fucked up. A lot of rural places have gone to 48/96 on/off because you spend most of the time sitting around and not actually working (another reason EMS pay is low). The fucked up thing is a lot of urban places have gone 48/96. That is insanity... great perk, but why do most medics quit after less than 5 years? The system doesn't care because the schools can pump out a new batch faster than staff burnout.

Used to be 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 96 off. It was actually shitty, because you were usually really exhausted for the day off after each shift... so being young and dumb I figured why not trade the third shift inbetween the first two, 72 hours shift followed by 6 days off (1 or 2 of those was usually fucked up though).

I used to pull 72s... occasionally 96 on. Perfectly legal, but it was NOT safe. Driving emergent when you haven't slept, then providing patient care... one time I worked 100 hours and only got 4 hours of sleep during that period. Perfectly legal. And I was making $8/hr as an EMT at the time. But I had sweet sweet OT pay at 12/hr!

LONG HAUL TRUCKERS HAVE HIGHER SAFETY STANDARDS THAN EMS! and better pay...
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 2:03:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm not sure, honestly. I know a lot of people at a lot of different hospitals from working ems for so long. So I landed a job right away. So I guess I'm pretty fortunate in that regard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it's hard to get a hospital job in a desirable place like ICU.  Not impossible, just hard.  The way to do it is to wow your ICU preceptor while you're doing clinicals for school.  If you are eager, intelligent, and not allergic to getting your hands dirty, they'll notice.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Dual licensed RN/paramedics will be a hot commodity in the next few years with th Community Paramedic programs.

I would suggest that you get out of the acute side care, and learn primary care.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Dual licensed RN/paramedics will be a hot commodity in the next few years with th Community Paramedic programs.

I would suggest that you get out of the acute side care, and learn primary care.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

I agree... they will be uniquely suited and it will boost the reimbursement rate for the agency if the provider has RN.

Don't know why the EMS services haven't figured it out yet... but they will.

The idea of training single role medics for that role always seemed a bit odd.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Is relocating to a different state an option?  You can make well over $30 an hour in many states w/o differential.  If you don't mind the liberal derp that comes with WA, OR, CA, you can clear over $40 w/o differentials and damn near $50/$60 an hr w/ differentials.  OT is pretty much all you want from May-Sept, steady from Oct-Dec, and then tappers off Jan- Apr.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I never get a permission to put O2 on a patient. I have standing orders, "protocols," just like a medic. A protocol is a doctor telling you what they want you to do beforehand, so you figure it out and don't have to ask, whether you are an EMT, medic, RN, RT, whatever. For RNs, it all depends on what specialty an RN is in. Yea, a LTC nurse with 20 patients at once is going to be calling a doc if they need something. An ICU RN is usually on standing orders or telling a doc to write them orders for what they already did.

Professions are paid based on how much people want to do them (glamor vs BS) + how hard it is to get qualified people (education/training/skill requirements)

Reason that medics don't make what nurses make are primarily the level and length of education involved for each:

EDUCATION:

Most new medics today are a 9-12 month community college program with few prereqs (there are some programs that are 3-6 months taught by tech schools).

Most new RNs today are 4 year university BSN programs (there are still plenty of 2 year ADN community college programs but these typically have another 1+ years of prereqs).

Consequently, RNs get more pay.

GLAMOR VS BS:

Paramedic is a more glamorous position with uniforms, lights and sirens, and adrenaline (at least that is how it is sold to hordes of students).

Nursing involves a lot more BS, poop, vomit, urine, festering wounds vs paramedics. RNs also deal with unpleasant patients and other medical professionals for 12 hours multiple days in a row where a medic can usually be rid of a jerking off violent drunk in less than an hour. (RNs who can't deal quickly leave the field or find a specialty where less of these things are involved). RNs also typically have a higher utilization time during their shift: eg, 6 floor patients at the same time, all the time, or two ICU patients the entire shift, where medics often have no patients for more than half their shift (standing by or driving).

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I never get a permission to put O2 on a patient. I have standing orders, "protocols," just like a medic. A protocol is a doctor telling you what they want you to do beforehand, so you figure it out and don't have to ask, whether you are an EMT, medic, RN, RT, whatever. For RNs, it all depends on what specialty an RN is in. Yea, a LTC nurse with 20 patients at once is going to be calling a doc if they need something. An ICU RN is usually on standing orders or telling a doc to write them orders for what they already did.

Professions are paid based on how much people want to do them (glamor vs BS) + how hard it is to get qualified people (education/training/skill requirements)

Reason that medics don't make what nurses make are primarily the level and length of education involved for each:

EDUCATION:

Most new medics today are a 9-12 month community college program with few prereqs (there are some programs that are 3-6 months taught by tech schools).

Most new RNs today are 4 year university BSN programs (there are still plenty of 2 year ADN community college programs but these typically have another 1+ years of prereqs).

GLAMOR VS BS:

Paramedic is a more glamorous position with uniforms, lights and sirens, and adrenaline (at least that is how it is sold to hordes of students).

Nursing involves a lot more BS, poop, vomit, urine, festering wounds vs paramedics. RNs also deal with unpleasant patients and other medical professionals for 12 hours multiple days in a row where a medic can usually be rid of a jerking off violent drunk in less than an hour. (RNs who can't deal quickly leave the field or find a specialty where less of these things are involved). RNs also typically have a higher utilization time during their shift: eg, 6 floor patients at the same time, all the time, or two ICU patients the entire shift, where medics often have no patients for more than half their shift (standing by or driving).

Figured I was going to offend some folks

Here to get to medic requires the same basics as nursing before the program begins.  Then you have 5 semesters of classes (so 2.5 years if you do the standard 2 semesters per year like most folks.)  During that of course clinicals are required to the tune of around 560 hours worth.  I know nursing requires clinical hours as well however I will admit I don't know the numbers.  And most nurses around here have a 2 year (4 semesters) degree in nursing as opposed to a 4 year.

As far as nurses individual abilities as I said I am basing it off what I have seen and heard.  Most of my experience is with our smaller community style hospitals vs major trauma however due to work I go there too.  I've never heard a medic say go call the dr to ask what I should do but I often get to hear the nurses say go get the dr so he can do this.   I realize that the nurse has the dr right there and the medic doesn't so it makes it easier but many departments have their nurses hands tied to the point of much beyond bringing drinks and changing bed pans require a new request of the dr.

All are underpaid in most places.  I'm just not typically one that jumps on the bandwagon of nurses need 40+ an hour when my wife is making just a bit over 9 an hour and when they bring a trauma in the dr typically requests they stay and help but asks his nurses to leave the room.  Also doesn't help my opinion with as much time as my mom has spent in the hospital and the authority that the nurses have been allowed to make decisions with her on there own.

No I have no grudge against nurses and no personal vendetta.  None have ever done me wrong.  They just have a better p.r. department than medic/emt.  Emt/medic is not even close to being considered flashy or prestigious anywhere around here.  And I've seen that for much longer than my wife and I have been together.  Maybe in more metro areas they are but not here nor anywhere else I have worked.   Fire departments and their medics sure but few fire departments in this state run the ambulances.  They may have medics or emts on staff but they don't usually handle the transport.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 2:31:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Nothing tears your health apart then working in a job you're not happy in.  Left a job I hated after 18 years and never looked back.  Happy and healthy go together.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I once talked to a Navy SEAL at my local gun store.  Taught me about the numerous benefits of the Ruget Mini-14 over the jam-o-matic,POS AR-15.  After talking to him for an hour, I know everything there is about being a Teir 1 Navy SEAL.  Shit, I could lead SEAL Team 6 now.  

Sarcasm aside, dude you don't know shit about shit just because you banged a couple nurses.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 3:32:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Just out of curiousity could someone tell me what a PRN is?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a medical acronym for "as needed".
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Here to get to medic requires the same basics as nursing before the program begins.  Then you have 5 semesters of classes (so 2.5 years if you do the standard 2 semesters per year like most folks.)  During that of course clinicals are required to the tune of around 560 hours worth.  I know nursing requires clinical hours as well however I will admit I don't know the numbers.  And most nurses around here have a 2 year (4 semesters) degree in nursing as opposed to a 4 year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Nationally, the majority of new RNs are coming from BSN programs. The majority of RNs in the US now have a bachelors or higher.

There are tons of Alabama schools that offer Paramedic in a year. Plenty of them don't require college level A&P, just an AEMT card. If you don't have that, you can still go from zero to paramedic with an extra 6 months to get EMT+AEMT.  

As far as nurses individual abilities as I said I am basing it off what I have seen and heard.

Apparently that is quite a limited view

I've never heard a medic say go call the dr to ask what I should do but I often get to hear the nurses say go get the dr so he can do this.

EMS varies from place to place. I've read a lot of protocols from around the country.
King County Medic 1, the most elite and respected system (according to many) in the US has their medics call medical control for every call to present there treatment plan. That does NOT make them inferior.
Try looking at EMT-Intermediate I99 protocols in a lot of places virtually every non BLS intervention has "contact base for order." Then again that had to do with the depth of education, but a lot of states are not phasing out intermediates.
Some systems have very few "contact base" in their P protocols, but very close relationships between the medical director and the medics.

when they bring a trauma in the dr typically requests they stay and help but asks his nurses to leave the room.

I used to bring patients to a rural "hospital" that was really a nursing home that had a 4 bed 1 room "ER" with an Xray, CT, and lab attached. When we rolled in with more than one patient, they wanted us to stay and help, and we'd happily do it if there wasn't a call pending. But the doc never told the nurses to leave. Really it is all about the facility and what their experience and expertise is. I've seen a rent-a-doc at a rural ED ask the medic to drop the tube on a kid because "I haven't done that to a kid since residency." If I had a very sheltered outlook, should I assume that MDs suck and paramedics are better? Of course not!!!

You have a very limited view of RNs and nursing as whole. I come across it in EMS, and it sounds very silly to people who have worked both nursing and EMS.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Outpatient surgery clinics.
Weekdays only.
View Quote

A friend of mine does that. I believe there is a constant demand for nurses, and it is quite a portable career.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#38]
My buddy was a regional medic making decent money, maybe $20-$25 an hour. My girlfriend in an RN and makes about $30-$35 between regular hours and night differential. Now the same friend got a new medic job at a local big hospital. Been there a year and he's already a supervisor. He makes $30-$35 now.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

They crank them out by the tens of thousands in the PI and other countries, and good old H1B visas will assure you they can and will be outsourced.  Plenty of shithead hospitals that have ten LPNs and one poor RN per floor, too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keep your license current.

RNs cannot be outsourced.  Medical skill is never out of fashion; especially in a declining economy.

They crank them out by the tens of thousands in the PI and other countries, and good old H1B visas will assure you they can and will be outsourced.  Plenty of shithead hospitals that have ten LPNs and one poor RN per floor, too.

it depends on the location. NY is oversaturated with RN grads.  Best bet for jobs is in rural areas. oh and new grads RNs make 80-100K starting in NY. thats like 40-50/hour
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 8:48:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Didn't realize there was a difference. Here if you are on an ambulance you are an EMT as far as I know. Never seen a RN do any type of ambulance work except when required for transport.  

After a quick google search. Apparently an EMT requires around 150 hours of training, were a paramedic has around 1500 hours of training. Both of which are considerably lower than the required training for a RN.  Hell I learned something today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1500 hours is less than it takes to get your LPN (LVN) here. When I got my LPN 20 years ago, it was 1660 hours.
I will say, as an RN, paramedics have skills and training that I can't touch.
I know my limits and have told a stable patient in a parking lot "you're breathing, so we're waiting for a medic."
Two different jobs. Both are important.

ETA: There's some retarded posters in this thread. I would ask what they do for a living, but this is just the internet....
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:43:29 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

EDUCATION:

View Quote

Which state mandates RNs have a four year degree? I don't know of any outside of...Kansas. Lots of hospitals and localities want RNs to have a 4yr degree, and there is talk to move to a mandatory 4 yr degree program in some states....but it aint happened yet.

I suspect in 10-15 years the national standard for EMT-P is not going to allow it to fit in a one year program. I checked online and did not see any nine month programs in your state. Can you send me a link? I know para rescue in .mil crank out "medics" thru the medical portion of that program pretty damn fast, but when you are in the military they own your ass from sunrise to sunrise.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:55:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Which state mandates RNs have a four year degree? I don't know of any outside of...Kansas. Lots of hospitals and localities want RNs to have a 4yr degree, and there is talk to move to a mandatory 4 yr degree program in some states....but it aint happened yet.

I suspect in 10-15 years the national standard for EMT-P is not going to allow it to fit in a one year program. I checked online and did not see any nine month programs in your state. Can you send me a link? I know para rescue in .mil crank out "medics" thru the medical portion of that program pretty damn fast, but when you are in the military they own your ass from sunrise to sunrise.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EDUCATION:

No state mandates a 4 year degree that I know of... but the statistics are nationally the majority of RNs are in BSN programs and the majority of RNs have a bachelors or higher.

Denver Health (CC of Denver) has a 6 month accelerate EMTP program.
Swedish and Saint Anthonys (Red Rocks CC) have accelerated programs that be done 6-12 months depending on how fast the student wants to do clinical.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 6:10:09 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

No state mandates a 4 year degree that I know of... but the statistics are nationally the majority of RNs are in BSN programs and the majority of RNs have a bachelors or higher.

Swedish and Saint Anthonys (Red Rocks CC) have accelerated programs that be done 6-12 months depending on how fast the student wants to do clinical.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

EDUCATION:

Ok.

Just checked Denver Health's EMT-P program. Six months, but it is a six month full time job eight hours per day, Mon-Fri; AND you must already be enrolled in that community college

and (from their website) you must have EMT-B, A&P 1 & 2, and have 6 months work experience as an EMT-B. Depending on the state, A&P 1 & 2 are at least 1/2 semester's work (3 cr or 4 cr each, depending on the state/school). Depending on the state, EMT-B is 4 or 6 credits (or nothing! )

Prerequisites

To apply to Denver Health Paramedic School, applicants must:

• Be at least 18 years old

• Be a high school graduate or have GED certificate

• Have successfully completed an EMT-Basic training program and have worked at least 6 months as an EMT

• Possess a current CPR certification (CPR Healthcare Provider or Professional Rescuer)

• Passed Anatomy and Physiology I and II (or its equivalent), as
    defined by the Colorado Community Colleges and Occupational Educational
    Services (CCCOES). This requirement can be met through a challenge
    assessment process that leads to equivalent credit. Information
    regarding the challenge assessment can be found online.

--------------

According to the American Association of Colleges of Nursing, the last time stats were taken 36.8% of nurses had a BN, 36.1% had a AAS. There are still nurses who are in diploma programs, but that has shrunk significantly since the 1980s/1990s. The goal is to have 2/3rds of all RNs have a BSN.

http://www.aacn.nche.edu/media-relations/fact-sheets/nursing-fact-sheet

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 6:27:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why, pray tell, is that?
A very similar skill set except RN cannot intubate.
Medics work in a very uncontrolled environment without direct MD oversight/direction.
There are only two examples.

Item for item, medics should make at least what RNs make.

Sorry for hijack.

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:04:29 AM EDT
[#45]
yep - highest paying job I ever had because my boss was a clueless POS...

the working conditions were also horrible...
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:05:19 AM EDT
[#46]
66k per year, but I am over it. I am ready for a shit pay job with no thought or pressure. (or anti maIe bs)

(

Link Posted: 8/22/2015 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Why, pray tell, is that?
Medics work in a very uncontrolled environment without direct MD oversight/direction.

Sorry for hijack.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why, pray tell, is that?

Sorry for hijack.

I don't care what the other guy makes, but I will say that the skill sets aren't that similar.
Nurse's deal with mountains of bullshit and the In Patient side of things covers a lot of stuff that there's no reason for a medic to know about.
A paramedic I knew had a tremendous problem with RN clinicals, as his state allowed medics to fast track an RN license.
I've been ACLS/PALS for years, but would hate to be on the spot, in the field by myself.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Wife just switched from the ER to med surg. and ICU. The boredom is killing her, but the money is good. She only thought she was ready for a slower paced environment.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Get some more experience and look at a MICU/Flight job....best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#50]
The Unit is not for everybody. The beautiful thing about being an RN is that you can have a job ANYWHERE in the country and there are so many different things you can do i.e. dialysis, clinic, floor, ICU, nursing home, OR, outpatient, rehab, etc.

But if you're not happy, you're not happy. The average turn around time in my cardiac/transplant ICU is about 6 months - 18 months because either people can't hack it, can't handle the stress, or go back to school once they get some unit experience.

Do whatever makes you happy and whatever works for you.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top