Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've only eaten one steak that I would consider medium rare, and I only resisted the urge to vomit because it would have upset the other folks at the table. The taste of blood is not something I hungrily anticipate when eating a steak, so to have had one virtually swimming in it was beyond gross. I didn't suffer any ill effects from eating it, but the experience was less than pleasant.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

And you're from New Jersey so...
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:00:55 PM EDT
[#2]

I eat my burgers on the rare to mid-rare side.  Ruby Tuesday is one of a handful of restaurants that actually cooks it to my likings.

I hate restaurants that have the "Consuming raw meats..." disclaimer...  and then when I try to order a rare burger, they won't allow it (must be cooked Med-well or higher) because company policy says so...   THEN WHY IN THE FUCK DO YOU HAVE A DISCLAIMER???

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Raw meat is for lesser forms of life than man. We didn't rise out of the mire, learn to walk upright and create fire just to go back to eating raw meat.

Yup - every other creature on the planet except for man (& domesticated animals fed same diet by man).    I wonder why all those animals aren't suffering from the debilitating diseases we do?  Hmmmmm  Maybe everything should be cooked... heck, we should eat charcoal!  lol!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

It is OK to eat rare hamburger, IF it is a good, fresh cut of meat and you have JUST ground it yourself.  Otherwise, hamburger should be fully cooked.

That's true. I agree with you. It's hard to be sure about most hamburger that you might get at a restaurant or a supermarket. So unless you did it yourself, or have a reputable butcher, you're taking a risk.

Steak is different. Eat it however you like it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on where I got the meat for me, If I bought it from walmart I want it well done. I usually get it from a meat market just outside of Longview I have no problem eating stuff from there rare or medium, family has been getting meat from them for years.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:07:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#8]
This thread is making me hungry.
raw bacon anybody.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I prefer my steak twitching. If my burger is cooked long enough to melt the cheese it's over-done.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Not me man.

I want my meat cooked.

No pink inside at all.

Like I said, great minds think alike!

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:28:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Not me man.

I want my meat cooked.

No pink inside at all.

Like I said, great minds think alike!

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#12]
wont get sick, steak, i prefer med-rare, burgers=med or med well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:37:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Unless you've ground the beef yourself using sirloin etc. you want to cook it well done. You can cook your steak to whatever level of doneness you like.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:36:17 AM EDT
[#14]
It's not the meat that makes you sick, it is the dirty grinder that mixes bacteria throughout the hamburger.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:40:18 AM EDT
[#15]
If you cook steak more than med-rare/medium you are ruining your steak. even med is pushing it

hamburgers, depends where you are geting them from. mcd's? yeah i'll take them cooked well done.

gourmet burger place? med-rare, thanks
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:43:53 AM EDT
[#16]
do a side-by-side taste test of med-rare to rare steak next to well done (good cut of meat, minimal seasonings -salt+pepper)

compare texture, moisture level (dry vs moist inside), tenderness, flavor

if you still prefer well done, you're freaking nuts (but it's a free country, so do what you gotta)

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:46:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
do a side-by-side taste test of med-rare to rare steak next to well done (good cut of meat, minimal seasonings -salt+pepper)

if you still prefer well done, you're freaking nuts (but it's a free country, so do what you gotta)

Blindfolded of course...we wouldn't want them psyching them selves out over a bit of blood. Pussies.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:51:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You are wrong.

+1

Sorry, Deej, old buddy, but there's nothing better than a good rare steak or medium-rare hamburger.

Yes, by 'rare', I mean 'cool center, not even pink but still purplish'.

Anyting above medium is simply wrong.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:53:52 AM EDT
[#19]
If it ain't bleeding it's burnt
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:55:34 AM EDT
[#20]
[dennis leary]

bring me a live cow! I'll carve off what I want, and ride the rest home!

[/DL]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I want my hamburger cooked and my steak damn near raw. You can get sick from undercooked hamburger from not from steak.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:58:09 AM EDT
[#22]
"They" are full of shit.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:59:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blindfolded of course...we wouldn't want them psyching them selves out over a bit of blood. Pussies.

I have a very accurate sense of smell.

And I have 22 yrs experience in the med field.

I kid you not, the raw/rare meat smell makes me nauseated.

Not gagging/puking - but the memories are there.

But prior to the mil/as a kid I liked my meat cooked.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:02:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's not the meat that makes you sick, it is the dirty grinder that mixes bacteria throughout the hamburger.

You are 100% wrong. The bacteria is on the outside of the meat- grinding it mixes it throughout.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:08:35 AM EDT
[#25]

http://fray.com/drugs/worm/

However, your beef tapeworm was an altogether mightier alien. In came
cow food slightly undercooked, and eggs-hatch-grow, but the beef worm
could grow more than just a few meters; it would keep adding to its
body, lengthening and snaking through the miles of intestine. I have it
on good authority that, with the small and large intestines combined,
it could reach the moon, loop it twice, then come all the way back down
to earth and you'd still have enough left over to play skip rope with.

This beef tapeworm would fill all this out until it eventually ran out
of intestine upon reaching the rear exit. My beef-based house guest had
grown so big, so happy, so healthy, had filled me up so much that it
now had to drop little bits of itself in the toilet bowl every few days
just to let me know how great he was doing.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:19:01 AM EDT
[#26]

This quote from the story is almost exactly what I did when they finally dx'd me with Giardia and Crypto:

I headed directly to the pharmacist, purchased the pill, took it home, created an altar, placed it there and worshipped it for forty-five minutes as the answer to all my dreams and prayers. "Oh mighty pill, death to the demon residing within..."

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:22:02 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Is it really as bad as they say? My dad LOVES to eat his burgers and steak medium rare whenever possible.  I worry that he will get sick but he says that it is "the best" way to have it.  I disagree, and eat burgers and steak at least medium well if not well done just to make sure that the animal is edible.

Who is right?

He is right.  Hell, I prefer my pork cooked medium and have been served medium-rare pork at several restaurants and it was delicious.

I guess you're not interested in Steak Tartar or Carpaccio?  You are missing out.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

However, your beef tapeworm was an altogether mightier alien. In camecow food slightly undercooked, and eggs-hatch-grow, but the beef wormcould grow more than just a few meters; it would keep adding to itsbody, lengthening and snaking through the miles of intestine. I have iton good authority that, with the small and large intestines combined,it could reach the moon, loop it twice, then come all the way back downto earth and you'd still have enough left over to play skip rope with.

This beef tapeworm would fill all this out until it eventually ran outof intestine upon reaching the rear exit. My beef-based house guest hadgrown so big, so happy, so healthy, had filled me up so much that itnow had to drop little bits of itself in the toilet bowl every few daysjust to let me know how great he was doing.

I've been eating Tartare for over 20 years with no problems. I love it.

Steak = Rare
Burgers = Med-Rare
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Steak-

Burger-

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:53:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

However, your beef tapeworm was an altogether mightier alien. In camecow food slightly undercooked, and eggs-hatch-grow, but the beef wormcould grow more than just a few meters; it would keep adding to itsbody, lengthening and snaking through the miles of intestine. I have iton good authority that, with the small and large intestines combined,it could reach the moon, loop it twice, then come all the way back downto earth and you'd still have enough left over to play skip rope with.

This beef tapeworm would fill all this out until it eventually ran outof intestine upon reaching the rear exit. My beef-based house guest hadgrown so big, so happy, so healthy, had filled me up so much that itnow had to drop little bits of itself in the toilet bowl every few daysjust to let me know how great he was doing.

If you think you have "Miles of intestine," much less, "enough to reach the moon," well, feel free to believe every ridiculous thing you read on the internet.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:56:28 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

The only thing "bad" about eating hamburger under cooked, is that bacteria can get caught and fester in the grinding equipment. If it comes from a reputable business, I whole heartily eat rare hamburger.

Truth.

The reason hamburger can easily be contaminated is it all goes into the same hopper at some point.  A steak is still a slab of meat that has limited chances for cross contamination.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:56:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:00:32 AM EDT
[#33]
IMO,

Steak should be rare to medium rare.

Hamburger should be medium rare.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:04:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Steak is safe rare.  Hamburger isnt.  Although Ive eaten burgers that werent exactly cooked to health dept standards with no ill effects.
Generally, it is better to eat hamburger at least medium, the reason is that ground anything has a lot of surface area that will allow bacteria to grow, you need to kill the bacteria by cooking the meat. If there is small amounts of uncooked meat/bacteria your body can kill it, however is that is a lot it will overwhelm your body's defense and  then you will get sick. Assuming that the meat processor is super careful the potential for getting bacterial contaminated hamburger is great
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:12:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Generally, it is better to eat hamburger at least medium

160 degrees is the generally accepted temp for killing off bacteria, that's a high med-well to well done.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Meat should not be served 'bloody'...

Cook it enough to kill the parasites...

'Medium' to 'Medium Well' is just about right....

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:18:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Do you realize how much antibiotics and radiation beef receives these days? I eat rare (and even raw on occasion) beef. Have for years. Never had any issues.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Is it really as bad as they say? My dad LOVES to eat his burgers and steak medium rare whenever possible.  I worry that he will get sick but he says that it is "the best" way to have it.  I disagree, and eat burgers and steak at least medium well if not well done just to make sure that the animal is edible.
Who is right?

This has been done before here with RAW meat, and I have my own feelings on it that won't be swayed.

So without reading the thread heres my two cents...
"Medium" is too well cooked where steak is concerned. A "well done" steak is completely ruined.

Ground beef is different though. In beef, there is bacteria, and in ground beef, it's all mixed throughout.

This dictates that burger should be cooked longer to be sure the inside reaches adequate temperature. 160*F I believe.

Now in contrast, with steak it's only the outside one needs to be that concerned with, which is why 3-4mins per side is acceptable.
If you process your own meat or have a very trusted source of clean, freshly processed beef...

as well as a clean storage and prep ... you're much better off eating meat this way (raw or rare) than say, at some roadside greasy spoon.

My opinion is to basically consider the source of your meat, and cook it accordingly.

If theres any question and you care about your innerds... cook that shit!

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Who is right?

This has been done before here with RAW meat, and I have my own feelings on it that won't be swayed.
So without reading the thread heres my two cents...
If you process your own meat or have a very trusted source of clean, freshly processed beef...
as well as a clean storage and prep ... you're much better off eating meat this way than say, at some roadside greasy spoon.
My opinion is to basically consider the source of your meat, and cook it accordingly.
Personally, I would assume that your meat that came from the processor or butcher is containminated, and when you grind the meat, all of that ground meat is also contaminated. It is real hard not to contaminate from a factory
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:36:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Steak - It should be medium rare.  If you won't do that, save your money, and eat something else.

Burgers - Medium is as rare as I'm willing to go with hamburger.

Completely agree.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:46:52 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Personally, I would assume that your meat that came from the processor or butcher is containminated, and when you grind the meat, all of that ground meat is also contaminated. It is real hard not to contaminate from a factory

Yeah, I'm really not inclined to disagree.

I also don't know how quick the beef was frozen, and how many times it thawed in transit, how long it sat, etc etc...

Too many variables to blindly trust ground beef... but people still eat it raw.

If I was the sort who liked massive rare burgers like in the photo posted above...

I would simply use a cooking thermometer to make sure the inside got to the minimum temp.

Hopefully it would still be "rare" enough. Another option, at least I am told, is that a quick shot in the microwave will kill any living organisms.

Me, I'm happy with a little "pink" in the middle of my burger at most.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are 100% wrong. The bacteria is on the outside of the meat- grinding it mixes it throughout.

Fail!

Unclean equipment is what spreads the bacteria and mixes it.  You should take a class or something.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:29:48 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fail!

Unclean equipment is what spreads the bacteria and mixes it.  You should take a class or something.

Where do you think the bacteria originates?

If my meat never touches any equipment it'll never have any bacteria?

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#45]

Steak: medium rare
Prime Rib: medium rare
Roasts: medium rare
Ground beef/burgers: Should be completely cooked....IE: Not pink.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:42:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail!

Now you are correct. Meat never touching any equipment would be clean.  Show me how to process meat without ANY equipment and we'll revolutionize the meat industry.

There is no bacteria in the meat until it gets contaminated.  Simple concept once you get through simple biology.  

There is no bacteria in the middle of a steak right? All of the bateria on the steak either got there from the cutting board or the knife/saw used to cut it. I don't believe that either E.Coli or Salmonella are found floating in the air.

You take contaminated steak and throw it into the grinder and now the baceria is mixed throughout the hamburger.

Got it?

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:58:55 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fail!

Now you are correct. Meat never touching any equipment would be clean.  Show me how to process meat without ANY equipment and we'll revolutionize the meat industry.

There is no bacteria in the meat until it gets contaminated.   Simple concept once you get through simple biology.  

There is no bacteria in the middle of a steak right? All of the bateria on the steak either got there from the cutting board or the knife/saw used to cut it. I don't believe that either E.Coli or Salmonella are found floating in the air.

You take contaminated steak and throw it into the grinder and now the baceria is mixed throughout the hamburger.

Got it?

That's the most retarded shit I have ever read.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:02:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fail!

There is no bacteria in the meat until it gets contaminated.   Simple concept once you get through simple biology.  

Got it?

That's the most retarded shit I have ever read.

I now see that you are hopelessly ignorant of basic meat processing and sanitation principles.  Good luck!

BTW, someone with a screenname like Ranchhand may have been round a cow or 2  

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#50]
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/salmonella_questions_&_answers/index.asp

There's the facts...

semantics with jackasses grows one weary.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top