User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:34:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes...

Powerstation and Arcadia were also good
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:43:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm cool with Duran Duran. They were all over Mtv when I was younger.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:47:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Still-killing-it.--Nobody-writes-stronger-material-and-live-versions-are-better.-Nobody-does-emotion-like=them.

Live=put-your-ears-on

Video

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:52:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Some fair stuff .

my wife was into one of those american idol rip off shows , it was rock star something another and one of the contestants preformed a hard rock cover of an duran duran song which I thought was pretty good and they voted him off because there is no way you can do a hard rock cover of duran duran song acorrding to them  . fast foward to a few years later one of the top songs on octane was a duran duran cover .
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:54:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Power Station was better
View Quote

I saw them in concert, OMD opened, Robert Palmer bailed on the tour and Michael Debares sang lead for The Power station. I really liked both Power Station and Arcadia.

I think Duran Durans 1st album was their best.

Depeche Mode was awesome as well. I have seen both bands at least 10x's (each in concert), way back starting in the middle 80's.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:56:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Go watch the unrated Girls on Film or The Chauffeur videos and then get back to us.

Kids these days.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ghey

Go watch the unrated Girls on Film or The Chauffeur videos and then get back to us.

Kids these days.  

Very cool song
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:57:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Being-turned-from-hunter-to-prey-sexually.--Brilliantly-written.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:59:25 AM EDT
[#8]
LO-fucking -L.

Worst band of the '80s, and that is saying something.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:01:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Love them. Fuck all other opinions.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:04:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Some fair stuff .

my wife was into one of those american idol rip off shows , it was rock star something another and one of the contestants preformed a hard rock cover of an duran duran song which I thought was pretty good and they voted him off because there is no way you can do a hard rock cover of duran duran song acorrding to them  . fast foward to a few years later one of the top songs on octane was a duran duran cover .
View Quote

DD-roks-their-stuff-live-all-the-time.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:08:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I like their stuff.....not all of it, but they have some good songs.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:11:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Absolutely. One of my favorite 80's bands, in fact.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:15:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:23:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Great-poetry-as-always.

Love-this-video.

Simon-is-the-old-man.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:41:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Mastery-of-everything-here.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:51:28 AM EDT
[#16]
I thought I was the only one that owned that album!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:53:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I vote yes

But only because of all the "stinky finger" I got while listening to their music
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:53:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:55:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Eh, they have a few good songs I can listen to. But I refuse to like a band whose posters adorned my sisters 1980's room.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:56:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Couldn't stand them back in the day. Now though, I gotta say I like them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:57:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:58:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Power Station was better
View Quote

Absolutely.

Duran Duran was still pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:22:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The best band of the 80s. Top 20 all time.
View Quote
I like the Durans a lot but I'd say the Police were a better band in the 80s.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:23:55 AM EDT
[#24]
They were cheesy, but a very good band.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:44:37 AM EDT
[#25]
yay
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:46:20 AM EDT
[#26]
awesome...
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:50:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Unburrevuburr.

At the time, my little sister loved them, as teen girls might. I told her they sucked, and turned her on to waaaaaay better bands. Even she now acknowledges that DD sucked. Yet 80+ percent of respondents in GD still have man-crushes on this irrelevant hair band from Old Blighty?

Let's have a pole (sic) on Flock of Seagulls, next.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:52:32 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I just can't do it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I just can't do it.
I'm actually very disappointed .

The Duran's were/are a very excellent band. Sometimes a little too pop, sometimes very esoteric, but a very cutting edge group.
ed; and the Power Station was cool , too.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:53:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Unburrevuburr.

At the time, my little sister loved them, as teen girls might. I told her they sucked, and turned her on to waaaaaay better bands. Even she now acknowledges that DD sucked. Yet 80+ percent of respondents in GD still have man-crushes on this irrelevant hair band from Old Blighty?

View Quote

YESSSSS!!!

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 3:01:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Trip on this shit....

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:01:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Unburrevuburr.

View Quote

If you were a musician you would see it differently. They aren't going to be everyone's cup of tea, but they are very talented musicians and songwriters. Lyrically Simon is one probably the best there is if not the best. They can and have written all genres of music, including leading the way in a couple. Their live performances are better than their studio albums, because they have since day one, refused to record something they could not play live. I can tell you, for every 10 bands you hear on the radio, 9 of them suck live or are a let down from the records.  Every musician out there wants to play or record with them, and hundreds have, from genres as diverse as country , hip hop, metal, even death metal. Take a look at the names that have been associated with them, and the bands that have done covers. Also, they have as a group, and individually, written , played on, and produced for hundreds of major acts.

They are much like Rush, though a different style, in that they are complicated compositions that they write with most of their material, and it overwhelms a lot of ears.

The big thing is, they have always been a live band first, and despite the art look, which is part of what pigeon holed them, they are seriously good.

They are still one of a handful of bands that fill arenas night after night, all over the world, without having any other major band on the billing, and they've been doing it for 35 years.

They still write great material, and in fact have a new album coming out soon. Mark Ronson , who produced the last one is working on this one as well, as is Nile Rodgers whose had a really big year with Pharel Williams and Daft Punk, along with getting Chic back together. He worked on The Reflex, Wild Boys, Notorious, and a few others with them. John Frusciante, guitarist for the RHCPs is involved as well. Ben Hudson is mentioned.

If you ever played Devil May Cry, you were controlling John Taylor btw, he was Dante.

There is a lot of music and bands that I don't care to listen to, but if they are talented, and good at what they do, whether I like it or not, I won't tell you they suck. I will commend their musicianship even if I can't stand the music.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:02:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
"Girls on film"
View Quote

I clicked on this thread to see someone post this.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:08:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Hell, Duran Duran wrote some songs paying tribute to America. Name other bands from the Second British Invasion that did that? Rio and Edge of America are two songs. Simon LeBon has spoken of it in interviews.

ThePontificator, Ghey for 25 years ago perhaps. Listen to the lyrics so how about now?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:12:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Hell, Duran Duran wrote some songs paying tribute to America. Name other bands from the Second British Invasion that did that? Rio and Edge of America are two songs. Simon LeBon has spoken of it in interviews.
View Quote

A few members are pretty much libertarian.
I do believe that John Taylor is or was a shooter.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:12:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Ghey
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:22:34 AM EDT
[#36]
John is got his US citizenship as well. He is a US citizen.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:28:00 AM EDT
[#37]
I like some of their songs :)
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:33:59 AM EDT
[#38]
kid of the 80s of course I like DD.

The name came from the Jane Fonda movie Barbarela.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:50:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Some people don't like Duran Duran , and some people like the Pontiac Aztec . Some people just have no taste!
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:51:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
kid of the 80s of course I like DD.

The name came from the Jane Fonda movie Barbarela.
View Quote

Which came from a comic book.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:00:45 AM EDT
[#41]
47 year old guy here...TBH I hated D/D back in the day.  I think mainly because I was "expected" to hate them.  

Than I sat down and actually listened to them this past year....damn solid band and they had some killer grooves and bass lines.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:16:49 AM EDT
[#42]
I have some odd associations between them and fishing when I was a kid and I have no idea why.  So until I figure that out, they are GTG.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:47:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Unburrevuburr.

View Quote

Ruining the 80s for someone should be a crime.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:21:20 AM EDT
[#44]
DD were my last favorite pop band, before I discovered Twisted Sister and Quiet Riot and started down the metal path.  MOST of their songs are pretty damn good and still hold up today.  Some of their album tracks are as good as or better than the singles, "Hold Back the Rain" for one.  Dug em then, still dig em now.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:29:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Would not bang.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Great band of the 80s. Awesome videos back when MTV actually played videos. Ordinary World was also a good tune.

Also, the video to A View To a Kill was much better and coherent than the whole awful movie. Worst Bond film ever.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Rio- one of my all time favorite songs.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#48]
To me they were like disco in the 70s. Hated them. My buddy was in a cover band in the 90s and he taught me the bass line for Rio and I was hooked after that. It was just so fun to play.

The horn arraignments in this are fantastic

You may not like the look of DD but you cannot argue that Simon has probably fucked a zillion supermodels
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:38:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Not really.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#50]
ghey for even asking, OP
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top