Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 4:25:40 PM EDT
[#1]
About ten years ago I took my brand new, unloaded, Glock 17 out of the trunk of my car to show my bro-in-law and it slipped out of my hand and bounced off the rough ass asphalt.  Not a scratch on it but my b-i-l  nearly had a heart attack as he stammered "are-are you all right!" like he thought I should have gotten shot like he had seen so many times in the movies.  ha ha
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#2]
How about 2 guns?
M1A sling slipped off my shoulder, and though on my arm the barrel was sliding for the trunk of the car.

I tried to catch it before it went, SOMEHOW my HK USP got out of my waistband and clattered onto the pavement (worst sound you'll ever hear)! And trying to save it I lost the M1A.

After about 45 min. of continuous foul language and erratic gyrations, I picked up the guns. HK minor damage. The M1A didn't show a scratch. Heh, heh. Gotta love that rifle!
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I screwed up some of the finish on my SP1. Some friends and I were out "playing ARMY" and I was on the way down a steep hill in the woods and found a huge hole covered up by twigs and weeds. It was either twist my ankle or use the Colt as a stop. I kinda wished I twisted my ankle. I put some nasty marks on the lower and also got the original 2 position CAR stock a bit. So now I have to look at it as battle scars.

Last week we were out shooting and I got some sand in my holster for my Kimber and I got in the car later on and pulled it out of the holster to hear and feel many grains of sand scraping the slide. Eeeeeeeeeeek is all I could think. Like fingernails down a chalk board. Now my Kimber too has the lovely battle scars.

What next?
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Dropped my 'freehand' M-60 once during the TET-68 festivities, when I got whacked in the elbow with a AK or RPD by the WOGS not honoring the New Years truce. Drilled a neat hole in my '60' frame,as well as a rather large one my elbow. Six weeks later, I was back in the air, with my M-60 with a custom vent hole. I did however have the good fortune to avenge the damage to by beloved '60', when we caught a company of NVA regulars in open in the Dau Tieng, Michelin rubber plantation, I nearly melted the barrel.....as they say, payback is a bitch especially when got the drop
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:41:19 PM EDT
[#5]
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/016/la/Ac/j2/0U16839.jpg[/img]

My first gun. Remington Fieldmaster .22. In my house when it burnt down.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#6]
this one's for godblesstexas-  i had just bought a new guitar, i paid $875, tho it was a $1200 guitar...put it on a stand at band practice while i played my other one and the strap got caught on my leg...watched it fall slow motion to the concrete floor.  man was i pissed.  only a small nick in the wood tho.  still bothered me for weeks.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had my fair share of scratches, dings, and a broken stock, but what i dislike is those mystery scratches that you dont know where they came from [peep]

i purchased a post-ban ar-15 for this very reason. i keep my colt pre-ban in a case; lubed.

besides, its not like you cant just refinish a weapon later on.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Man I have had my wife go to her Dad's house and have me call after I'm done.

One time I hit a glock with a hammer and just about got a sec.8.[%|]

!@#$%^&*(*&^%$#@#$%^&*(*&^%$#2 WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU NOT TELL ME IT WAS THERE?@%^&*(&^%$#@$^&*()(*&^%$#$%^ WHAT THE IN THE WOULD CAN I DO WITH THIS THING NOW?!?!?!?@%^&*(*&^%$#@#%^&*(*&^% NO I DON'T NEED TO CHILL OUT!
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Laughing Out Loud, albeit with a small wince of pain.  Aw-shits happen.  Marred a nickel plated screw on a nickeled S&W N-frame, not picking just the right screwdriver.  

Yeah, 1911's, PPK, Glocks, whatever you carry is likely to eventually get dropped.  

Horse pulled scabbard off in brush, and my .308 ended up muzzle down.  Had to trim and stick and work to clear the barrel, as we'd only brought a bootlace pull-through for cleaning.  

Now I know why I bought that $50 Mauser to make a "pickup gun."  

Good stories, all. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the laughs.

While opening my brand new colt sp1 for its first cleaning I lost my grip on the upper and watched in horror as the muzzle swung down in a perfect arc around the frickin colt 2 screw front retaining pin.  The force of the bottom of the handguard smashing into the front of the mag well busted open the front pin retaining tube on the upper receiver.  I really wrecked it within 30 minutes of purchase.  I couldn't bear to look at the mess I made.  No choice but to trade it for a shorty.  This was in '87.  Best regards.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Well i havent dropped a firearm yet (knock on wood).  I have dropped my share of magazines though.  Each time i drop one, its the same routine....OH F*CK!  DA**IT!!  

And actually i almost dropped my HK USP.  I was showing it to a friend.  The slide was open and when i went to release it and put it away, it slipped out of my hand and i bobbled it and finally caught it.   I said  HOLY SH*T!!  
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 1:14:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
How about 2 guns?
M1A sling slipped off my shoulder, and though on my arm the barrel was sliding for the trunk of the car.

I tried to catch it before it went, SOMEHOW my HK USP got out of my waistband and clattered onto the pavement (worst sound you'll ever hear)! And trying to save it I lost the M1A.

After about 45 min. of continuous foul language and [b]erratic gyrations[/b], I picked up the guns. HK minor damage. The M1A didn't show a scratch. Heh, heh. Gotta love that rifle!
View Quote

[b]erratic gyrations[/b]....

Damn, that was just too funny!  Thanks, I needed that.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 2:09:33 AM EDT
[#13]
i am not nearly as symetrical as i used to be either...

i read an account last year of an accomplished pistolero that droped his glock at a range.

He grabbed it before it hit the floor and shot himself.

Fatally

sometimes it is best to let scratches happen

On the antiques roadshow they call it character marks...
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I took a post ban colt ar-15 with a flat top, some mags and ammo. carry. Then i sling the assault case over shoulder and crash!!!
View Quote

Well this is a timely subject.
I just went shooting this weekend with a few buds. Two other gun nuts & a gun newbie.
 So we're showing him all are hardware & then running through some ammo on the pistol range when we deicide to get the rifles out.
 Well earlier I had taken out my Dissipator CAR
out to show it off to the newbie & then when I put it back in my "assualt" bag I didn't zip it closed.
 SO of course when I went back to pick up the AR by the sholder strap on the bag CRASH went the rifle onto the concrete!  
 DAMN I was mad!![:(!]
Nice ding/scrape across the right side of the fron sight housing & a scuff on the shell deflector.  ARRGH was I pissed.

I guess it's just cosmetic??
Any chance that the front site base was knocked out of whack??
 It's a standard A2 front sight housing pinned in place.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top