User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:40:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If this year was somewhat normal, you'd probably only have a 50% chance (or less)  of seeing snow along your route.  But all bets are off this year.
View Quote

Yep. And this is why I'm strongly encouraging him to buy dedicated winter tires (in addition to all the other good advice).

Imagine asking this question back in June. "I'm going to be driving to NE Ohio in mid to late November..."

If he got the "average weather" advice, he'd do well to just run what he brung and not worry about it. Fuck, just jump in the van and go...

...until it's not that way. He would have been SCREWED following "normal" advice from native Ohioans, if he drove up here in the last 5 days or so.

I say - assume close to the worst, while accepting and acknowledging that it's unlikely to happen. And be okay with that. The only real variable worth considering is the purchase of winter tires. For everything else mentioned in this thread? Nobody ever bitched that they had too many warm blankets, or too much water and food in their mini van. Nobody ever said "I'm really kicking myself for buying new wipers, washer fluid, a snow and ice scraper, a small shovel, and a fresh battery". Know what I mean?
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Get your tires aligned. A barely noticeable alignment problem on pavement isn't a big deal. That same problem on snow, slush or ice........... Not fun at all. It will leave an experienced winter driver white knuckled and frazzled.

Plus all the other good advice
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, now the  important question.

Do I stick with my Glock 26 for the trip or bring the 19?

I have a CCW. I remember last time to Peoria, I was good to go for all the states, and since I have no plans on visiting Commiegago I should be ok.

Then I will be heading east to  VA, through  IN, OH, PA, MD,  so I should be good there to.  Do I have a issue crossing through DC?  I will staying in  Alexandria.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 6:54:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#5]
You're from the South, if you're anything like the people in NC you need to buy some tires. You're probably well past 80% worn and that cheap ass Wal-Mart/Discount/Kelly Springfield dealer only store line garbage is worthless on anything but bone dry dust free pavement.

Beyond that, drive fast and take chances. IL is mostly flat, as is everything N of TN and E of the Apps. Driving on snow and ice is no big deal. Change speed before or after turns, not during. You can slow down without braking, it's true, try it, just not in a corner, unless you want to have some fun. Steer smooth, you can't really steer and brake hard at the same time even with ABS. In a FWD you can sometimes pull out of a skid by counter steering and gentle acceleration, you will never recover by braking. Drive that bitch all the way into the ditch if it happens, often by steering you can actually avoid what you're trying to avoid, vehicles can typically turn on ice and snow much faster than you're comfortable doing it.  If you intend throw your hands up and let jesus take the wheel do the world a favor stay home.

No you don't need chains, there are no chains required mountains on your route and light vehicles with good tires shouldn't need them anyway.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:27:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Most northern states' departments of transportation maintain web sites showing current road conditions. Search for “road conditions” for each of the states you'll be traveling through. Save those sites in your laptop or phone and check them before you leave and while traveling. For example, here is the link to the road conditions site for Wisconsin.
Wisconsin Road Conditions

As someone mentioned earlier, keep your fuel topped off so if you do get stranded you can run the engine and heater to keep warm. If you spin out and get stuck (1) be sure the tail pipes are clear before running the engine, (2) crack a window when running the engine and heater to allow fresh air into the cabin (3) only run the engine and heater 15-20 minutes out of each hour (4) stay with the vehicle until help arrives.

Keep an eye on the weather forecast. It just makes sense not to head out into the teeth of an approaching blizzard.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Most northern states' departments of transportation maintain web sites showing current road conditions. Search for “road conditions” for each of the states you'll be traveling through. Save those sites in your laptop or phone and check them before you leave and while traveling. For example, here is the link to the road conditions site for Wisconsin.
Wisconsin Road Conditions

As someone mentioned earlier, keep your fuel topped off so if you do get stranded you can run the engine and heater to keep warm. If you spin out and get stuck (1) be sure the tail pipes are clear before running the engine, (2) crack a window when running the engine and heater to allow fresh air into the cabin (3) only run the engine and heater 15-20 minutes out of each hour (4) stay with the vehicle until help arrives.

Keep an eye on the weather forecast. It just makes sense not to head out into the teeth of an approaching blizzard.
View Quote

He can avoid situations where this will be necessary, if he adorns his minivan with winter tires.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:40:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I have a CCW. I remember last time to Peoria, I was good to go for all the states, and since I have no plans on visiting Commiegago I should be ok.

Then I will be heading east to  VA, through  IN, OH, PA, MD,  so I should be good there to.  Do I have a issue crossing through DC?  I will staying in  Alexandria.

View Quote

As an out of stater, you should be good to go in IL.  No FOID required.  You won't be able to CCW though.  Your pistol will need to be in a case, box or other container and unloaded.  It doesn't have to be an actual firearm case, and you don't have to keep the ammo separate.  A glove box or console works as a case.  Just remember that IL doesn't honor any other state CCW licenses yet, so if you want to have your gun loaded, you will need a separate IL CCW.  No magazine restrictions either, unless you visit Chicago and a handful of suburbs.

Peoria is a gun friendly place.

Link Posted: 11/20/2014 8:22:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

In an MR2? You're insane if you try to do this without winter tires. You'd better hope there is next to no snow accumulation on the roads, while you're driving.

The OP can honestly get away with a decent set of all-seasons for this trip, if the winter Gods smile upon him (and they likely will, statistically), but you? You're insane.

Does your MR2 at least have all seasons on it? If they're summer tires, you've got a death wish. Ask me how I know.

What make and model are they, out of morbid curiosity?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm in the same boat as OP. I will probably be driving to southern WI for Thanksgiving. Unlike OP, if I actually do this, I'll be driving an MR2, not a minivan. Snow tires aren't really a possibility for the reasons others have mentioned.

I was raised in SoCal and live in TN, so my snow driving experience is about what you'd imagine. I did tell my friends up there that if there's significant snow I probably won't make it.

Just how bad an idea is this?

In an MR2? You're insane if you try to do this without winter tires. You'd better hope there is next to no snow accumulation on the roads, while you're driving.

The OP can honestly get away with a decent set of all-seasons for this trip, if the winter Gods smile upon him (and they likely will, statistically), but you? You're insane.

Does your MR2 at least have all seasons on it? If they're summer tires, you've got a death wish. Ask me how I know.

What make and model are they, out of morbid curiosity?

Falken 912s. Marketed as all-seasons, anyway. I could throw my Hoosier A6s back on...
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:21:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Falken 912s. Marketed as all-seasons, anyway. I could throw my Hoosier A6s back on...
View Quote

Mount a dashcam for our collective amusement if you do.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I left the Hoosiers at home, but the MR2 made it to Wisconsin with no problems. Well, one problem--so much ice built up on the headlights that they got stuck in the up position and wouldn't retract.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:06:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Central Illinois and DC are north!!??

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#14]
4high,snow brush
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Best advice: if it's snowing hard enough to slow travel,get a hotel room.

Even on winter tires,you are likely to be a liability in severe conditions.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#16]
I have nothing to say......going into occupied territory this time of year.

Dibs on rifles, optics, and ammo?
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

A lot of the mountains going over to the East coast got a foot or more of snow last night.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Central Illinois and DC are north!!??

A lot of the mountains going over to the East coast got a foot or more of snow last night.

I forgot about the effects of manmade global warming.

Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
With decent tires you should be fine.  If the roads are really slippery wet at all or icy do not use your cruise control.
View Quote

This will keep you with us a while longer.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

OP, thought you were going to Central IL and then on to Wash. DC?  You are out of your freeking mind.

Now you better take enough cash in bail money and hope that isn't taken by the revenue enhancement officers as drug money when they throw you in jail for bringing an arsenal into their state illegally.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Slow down. Drive in the right lane. Slow down.
Odds are the roads will be fine.
+1 on the windshield washer fluid.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:44:44 AM EDT
[#21]
If driving in snow, imagine that there is an egg on top of your gas and brake pedals.
Don't break the egg!
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#22]
If it hasn't been said by now. Buy a new battery if its more than 2-3 years old.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top