Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:18:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
....and also, drink LOTS of water!!! stay away from sodas and sugar free drinks with aspartame (sp?)
View Quote

I agree here - caffeine and aspartame each seem to slow the weight loss quite a bit.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:27:18 AM EDT
[#2]
The past few weeks I have been PURPLE on the Ketostix.  Yesterday we celebrated my birthday and I had some cake (even seconds).  This morning I am still in full-blown ketosis.  Must not have been too big of a shock to my system?
For breakfast I had 2 omelettes with bacon and some [b]pico/salsa[/b], lots of sausage patties and steak, lunch I had a [b]Fappuccino[/b](Venti), then dinner I cooked and ate a lot of Chipotle BBQ pork boneless ribs, small iceberg salad with ranch, and 2 HUGE [b]pieces of cake[/b].  And I am still measuring 80-160ppm ketone????  Normally I would be having flu-like symptoms after that much sugar!
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:30:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
For those who don't count Carbs-the initial phase is 20 gms/ day.  That is about 1 slice of bread.
View Quote

or one Hershey bar with almonds!   [:)]

Also - keep in mind about eating chips at a mexican restaurant.  4 to 8 chips is usually one tortilla.  One small tortilla is approx 25-30g carbs.
I order "Fajita combo with cheese and sour cream" lunch at El Chico with NO tortillas, but substitute guacamole for beans and eat a little of the veggies.  They have since put it into the computer so you do not have to argue with the waitress about the FREE substitution.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:18:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I am on the Sugar Busters diet and also low to no fat.Most of my  protein intake is from fish(not fried).  I walk 2.5 miles and will increase my walking as I loose more weight. I work out lightly with dumb bells.I do eat better and feel better(I was very tired out this past year due to a heart attack that I did not know about) Even my sex life improved . That was worth it in itself. About 15 more pounds and I should be close to where I want to be. Of course my real motivation is if something happens to the right side of my heart, I am a goner.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:34:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

For breakfast I had 2 omelettes with bacon and some pico/salsa, lots of sausage patties and steak, lunch I had a Fappuccino(Venti), then dinner I cooked and ate a lot of Chipotle BBQ pork boneless ribs, small iceberg salad with ranch, and 2 HUGE pieces of cake.  And I am still measuring 80-160ppm ketone????  Normally I would be having flu-like symptoms after that much sugar!
View Quote

WOW dude, are you sure you're on a diet. If I ate like that, I would be 300 fucking lbs.
View Quote

no shit, what the hell kind of breakfast was that?

and two pieces of cake on a "low carb" diet?

sounds more like you were binge eating than dieting

as for the keytone measuring strips after eating the cake --- maybe that's a sign that something else is wrong

what do diabetics use those strips for? do they want the keytones or want none in their piss?
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Donith's Low/No Carb chocolate Mousse

1 pint whipping cream
9 packs sugar substitute (splenda is good!)
4 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 teaspon cinaman (optional)
1 packet Knox unflavored gelatin

Disolve gelatin in 1/3 cup boiling water, set aside.
In a chilled bowl using chilled beaters ( put in freezer while disolving gelatin) combine all other ingredients.  whip cream mixture with an electric mixer on med speed.  As the cream starts to thicken, add disolved gelatin/water mixture.
Continue mixing until soft peaks will form.  Do not over mix!  If you do you'll end up with chocolate flavored butter!  Lick beaters clean and place bowl in refrigerater for four hours or until whipped cream has firmly set.

MMM! MMM! GOOD!

Optional: Sprinkle a few ( only a few! they have real sugar) Chocolate chips on top when serving.

Or: omit gelatin, spoon into cup cake papers/tin and place in freezer for ice cream like treat.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:49:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Cheesy Brocoli and Cauliflower

1 cup frozen brocoli and/or cauliflower flourettes
2 strips cooked bacon (crumbled)
Your favorite cheese (check the carbs)
1/4 cup water

Place vegetable and water in microwave safe covered container.
Microwave on high aprox. 1-1.5 minutes
Add bacon and cheese
Microwave for another minute or until cheese is melted.
Salt to taste.

Tastey and rich in vitamins and fiber.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 1:58:35 PM EDT
[#9]

as for the keytone measuring strips after eating the cake --- maybe that's a sign that something else is wrong

what do diabetics use those strips for? do they want the keytones or want none in their piss?[/quote]

Diabetics use them to measure ketones as well, but they use them as a warning when the whole insulin/sugar balance has gone to hell. On a low carb diet ( no sugar balance 'cause there's no sugar), keytones in your urine indicate that you are burning body fat rather than carbs for energy.  I've seen them recomended for aerobic weight loss as well.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For breakfast I had 2 omelettes with bacon and some pico/salsa, lots of sausage patties and steak, lunch I had a Fappuccino(Venti), then dinner I cooked and ate a lot of Chipotle BBQ pork boneless ribs, small iceberg salad with ranch, and 2 HUGE pieces of cake.  And I am still measuring 80-160ppm ketone????  Normally I would be having flu-like symptoms after that much sugar!
View Quote

WOW dude, are you sure you're on a diet. If I ate like that, I would be 300 fucking lbs.
View Quote

no shit, what the hell kind of breakfast was that?

and two pieces of cake on a "low carb" diet?

sounds more like you were binge eating than dieting

what do diabetics use those strips for? do they want the keytones or want none in their piss?
View Quote

Actually, I know my normal ketone level in urine is basically zero.  As for the cake, maybe it wasn't engough carbs to stop ketosis in my body (it isn't a magic 20 for everyone, in fact sometimes it is less, or could eb more).  Hell, it was lemon cake and there was no frosting on it, except a glaze from the jello.  My body can process BOTH ketones and glucose, and since I am eating FAT and my body does not have to process all the ketones, so I will piss them away too...

When diabetics get skinny all of a sudden, it is a sign that they are not processing sugars, their body gives up, and they start shedding their fat for energy.  That is why they measure their ketone level.

Read your Atkins book.  Portions do not have to be small, and calories do not have to be low to force your body into ketosis and lose weight.  And for the binge eating - as long as it is not high carbs, it is fine for me.  I lost 17lbs so far now, and I eat like that for breakfast on the weekends!  I also find that when I eat eggs, the weight loss increases.

PS: my pants size is 2" less than 2 weeks ago, and they were SNUG 2 weeks ago...
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Another approach is to whip cream and stir in ricotta cheese. (I know, sounds gross, but my step mom assured me, and sure enough it is good!)  Add cocoa or other flavors if necessary.  It is the filling for canelloni desserts.

Quoted:
Donith's Low/No Carb chocolate Mousse

1 pint whipping cream
9 packs sugar substitute (splenda is good!)
4 Tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 teaspon cinaman (optional)
1 packet Knox unflavored gelatin

Disolve gelatin in 1/3 cup boiling water, set aside.
In a chilled bowl using chilled beaters ( put in freezer while disolving gelatin) combine all other ingredients.  whip cream mixture with an electric mixer on med speed.  As the cream starts to thicken, add disolved gelatin/water mixture.
Continue mixing until soft peaks will form.  Do not over mix!  If you do you'll end up with chocolate flavored butter!  Lick beaters clean and place bowl in refrigerater for four hours or until whipped cream has firmly set.

MMM! MMM! GOOD!

Optional: Sprinkle a few ( only a few! they have real sugar) Chocolate chips on top when serving.

Or: omit gelatin, spoon into cup cake papers/tin and place in freezer for ice cream like treat.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:41:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Simple: eat low carb, high protein diet. Drink lots of water or iced tea. LOTS. It works. Exercise every day: walk, ride your bike, hit the gym.

About 2 years ago I started a diet of basically cutting the sodas, drinking diet, but mainly lots of water and iced tea. 1 year later, I had lost 45 lbs. Then I started working out and started gaining weight (doctor said that would happen at first since I was putting on muscle and holding in water). I've pretty much stayed about the same size, but my weight increased-- go figure.

Anyway, I am going to start this back up, starting tomrrow!....

PS: some of the Dr. Atkins recipes look good, but seem difficult to make without doing a ton of dishes, or tracking a bunch of ingredients down in the grocery store. I have the Dr. Atkins cookbook if anyone local wants to borrow it for s bit.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#14]
<20 g/day
veggies will kill the carb count

I said nothing about small portion meals multiple times per day.

[b]I said portions do not have to be small or low in calories to force yourself into ketosis.[/b]

My blood/urine tests are EXCELLENT, and have been in the past.
I am due for a physical in 2 weeks and we shall see.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Atkins Diet is successful IMO because it is the right diet for people with Type O blood, which is [b]over 50% of the population here in the US[/b](Not so in Japan for instance.)  High protein-low carbohydrate.

If you are Type O this will work for you pretty well.  The secret for weight loss for O's is no wheat (bread, pasta cereal) milk products or potatoes [b]and[/b] plenty of intense physical exercise.  O is the original blood type, the hunter.  A is suited to vegetarian diet  (and doesn't need high intensity exercise for health-yoga may do it) and AB's can eat almost anything.

[url]www.dadamo.com[/url]

Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
But what do I know, I am actually gaining weight on this diet. Just weighed myself today, and gained 2 more pounds. At this rate, I will be 230lbs by weeks end.

This is the fastest weight gain I have had since I went into boot camp where I gained 40lbs in 4months.
View Quote

You are working out on a regular basis, right? I started gaining weight too.

You are building muscle and all that protein is helping to build it. When you have muscle, it will burn more fat.
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#17]
[b]just got the link - thanks[/b]

Wow, I didn't know that.  Where can I research more about this?  Do you have a source?
I am O+ and this makes sense.  I am also hypoglycemic which is also why Atkins works.

Quoted:
Atkins Diet is successful IMO because it is the right diet for people with Type O blood, which is [b]over 50% of the population here in the US[/b](Not so in Japan for instance.)  High protein-low carbohydrate.

If you are Type O this will work for you pretty well.  The secret for weight loss for O's is no wheat (bread, pasta cereal) milk products or potatoes [b]and[/b] plenty of intense physical exercise.  O is the original blood type, the hunter.  A is suited to vegetarian diet  (and doesn't need high intensity exercise for health-yoga may do it) and AB's can eat almost anything.

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
[b]just got the link - thanks[/b]

Wow, I didn't know that.  Where can I research more about this?  Do you have a source?
I am O+ and this makes sense.  I am also hypoglycemic which is also why Atkins works.

Quoted:

View Quote
View Quote

I was always pretty active so eating right had little effect until I was older and was doing less exercise.  I started getting really dry skin and the beginning of acid reflux and some general aches and pains.  Dropping wheat out of your diet for a week or two (which means all bread and pasta, pancakes etc.) will be the most revealing diet change you will ever make IMO if your blood type is O.  When America started putting a wrapper of bread (fast food)  around every bit of meat we eat we started down the road to obesity.

Blood type diets make sense to me.  Blood transfusions were originally done with no regard to type and with disasterous results occasionally.  O is the universal donor and AB the universal recipient.  Lectins are the special theory of Dr. D'Adamo and account for some of the particularly negative aspects of some food items to some blood types.  The poison  terrorist were developing recently in Britain, ricin, is a lectin from Castor beans and is deadly.  It coagulates the blood VERY RAPIDLY AND KILLS.  Some lectins in some foods interfere with digestion so severly that they are to be avoided for health and weight reasons.

General adherence to blood type diets is for maintenance,  More strict adherence and other regimens promote weight loss and mitigate health problems.

Blood type diets also are concerned with body chemistry and ph.  Dr. D'Adamo's father worked in health spas in Germany and noticed that diets worked differently for some and gradually deduced blood type as the reason.  Then it became a long process of testing foods in subjects and in the lab.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 2:20:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

[url]www.dadamo.com[/url]

View Quote

i've read a bunch of stuff on the nutrition usenet groups saying that there is no science behind the blood type diet

that said, I'm O- and the low carb diets work very well for me

Link Posted: 5/5/2003 2:20:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Read your Atkins book.  Portions do not have to be small, and calories do not have to be low to force your body into ketosis and lose weight.  And for the binge eating - as long as it is not high carbs, it is fine for me.  I lost 17lbs so far now, and I eat like that for breakfast on the weekends!  I also find that when I eat eggs, the weight loss increases.

PS: my pants size is 2" less than 2 weeks ago, and they were SNUG 2 weeks ago...
View Quote

Actually I did, I notice that you are not really following it. Where's your vegetables??? What happened to either eating 3 meals or 4 small ones like it said on the book? As well as segragation of fats?

But what do I know, I am actually gaining weight on this diet. Just weighed myself today, and gained 2 more pounds. At this rate, I will be 230lbs by weeks end.

This is the fastest weight gain I have had since I went into boot camp where I gained 40lbs in 4months.
View Quote

maybe you're sleepwalking down to the twinky crate at night?
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 4:08:55 AM EDT
[#22]
I'll bet you LT is piling on the vegetable, thinking they are low-carb.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually I did, I notice that you are not really following it. Where's your vegetables??? What happened to either eating 3 meals or 4 small ones like it said on the book? As well as segragation of fats?

View Quote

maybe you're sleepwalking down to the twinky crate at night?
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#24]
then it must be unconsious midnight twinkie binges

Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:20:36 AM EDT
[#25]
LT - you are using Ketostix to measure your urine aren't you?
In Atkins' book, it recommends reducing carbohydrates even further if you cannot get into Ketosis.
Ketosis is the key to rapid weight loss.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#26]
FWIW, I've had good luck with the Atkins diet.  The problem is that its a life time diet and you will gain weight if you eat carbs "like normal" after being on the diet for a while.

What has really stunned me about the diet was its affecton my cholesterol.  I had my physical at the end of last year.  I wasn't in radical, get-into-ketosis mode, but had been avoiding breads and sugars for a long time.  My cholesterol came back as 138 which shocked a lot of my friends who look at me weird when I eat those burgers without the bun.

I suspect that there are some people this diet works for and others that it doesn't.  I had a friend with high cholesterol who was put on the diet to see if it would work and after a month it had not affect whatsoever.  His cholesterol stayed the same.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#28]

I've never gone on a true Atkins diet, but I tend to lean towards his approach.  After all, I need the high protein for muscle building.

Americans eat way to many sugars and carbs anyway.  Just try to go on this diet and you will realize that you really have to change your habits.

I do eat carbs but I limit them.  I try to stay away from anything sugary and non-whole wheat.  I also eat more carbs early in the day, and almost none after 6p.m.

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Obesity is complex disease of many potential etiologies but in vast majority of cases it is simple excess caloric intake. There are endocrine factors of course but in this country they account for about 1.5/10000 cases of obesity.

The Atkins diet makes you avoid carbohydrates and lowers your insulin. It has allowed people to lose tons of weight on thousands of calories a day. Insulin is the key. Insulin is anabolic and puts on weight. Some people can gain on 700 calories a day. Body builders shoot small amounts of insulin to gain weight. If you spike in reaction to 2 pieces of bread or so, add fruit to that and you will NOT lose on Weight Watchers. Insulin is anabolic, glucagon is catabolic, insulin spikes put on weight. That is why low carbing works for some, you can eat a ton of calories, and lose because the insulin spike is avoided - that is how potent it is. Carrot sticks have a very high glycemic factor. They spike insulin more than a Snickers bar.  A very small amount of insulin is required to stop lipolysis.

We are an obese country, and since the refinement of sugar in the early 1900s, heart disease has skyrocketed.

The best dietary regimen is not a diet but a lifestyle change. Adhering to a dietary intake consisting of 40% carbs, 30% fruits and vegetables, and 30% proteins works. Mix in 3-4 times per week of aerobic exercize to boost your metabolism and keep fat grams below 50 per day for men.

Whatever you do has to be life long if you intend to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle.

TT [wave]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#31]
LT,
I know some diabetics that went on Atkins' diet.  They lost weight, and within a few months no longer needed to take insulin shots!

Update:  I did drop out of ketosis after that piece of cake.  [:(] I will be back in lipolysis within a day or so...
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:48:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Update: for the past few days I have been measuring 80-160ppm ketone.  I have lost a few more pounds.  wooo hoo!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:56:52 AM EDT
[#33]
Just started (again) today!

Got about 60-70 pounds to go!

Hoping to be able to hump that much in ammo when SHTF! [;)]
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:26:37 AM EDT
[#34]
I have been on Atkins for almost three and a half weeks.

I lost about 4 pounds at the beginning.  I am stioll eating less than 30 carbs per day, and I am not losing any weight.

I quit drinking beer, I am eating the high fat, high protein no carb diet and I am really not seeing the dramatic weight loss that other people have experienced.

My wife is on the diet as well.  She has lost 8-10 pounds, but has not lost any weight for almost a week and a half.

No caffeine, no sugar, no carbs except from a salad.  Plenty of eggs, cheese, meat.

Suggestions?

TRG
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:32:32 AM EDT
[#35]
LordTrader,
Try ZERO CARBS for a week.  Even when you go for zero, you still might be eating 15 grams a day.  No vegetables, cut the salad intake.  A little excercise goes al ong way.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:52:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Atkins suggests 20g/day for induction phase, but you must measure your ketone level in your urine.  If you never reach it, you must reduce your carb intake!
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:43:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Atkins suggests 20g/day for induction phase, but you must measure your ketone level in your urine.  If you never reach it, you must reduce your carb intake!
View Quote

I have been in ketosis for 3 weeks.  Other than making pretty colors on a urine test strip, it has been a waste of time.

TRG
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:57:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I have been on Atkins for almost three and a half weeks.

I lost about 4 pounds at the beginning.  I am stioll eating less than 30 carbs per day, and I am not losing any weight.

I quit drinking beer, I am eating the high fat, high protein no carb diet and I am really not seeing the dramatic weight loss that other people have experienced.

My wife is on the diet as well.  She has lost 8-10 pounds, but has not lost any weight for almost a week and a half.

No caffeine, no sugar, no carbs except from a salad.  Plenty of eggs, cheese, meat.

Suggestions?

TRG
View Quote

Are you using a lot of nutrasweet/aspartame?

Some people can't some can.

Also, give it time.  I noticed that I would hit plateaus for a couple a weeks at a time and then lose really fast all of a sudden.

Patience, its a lifestyle change.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 6:15:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Lordtrader,

The key question about your weight loss has been asked and you have not answered it.

ARE YOU URINATING ON KETOSTIX TO SEE WHERE YOUR RANGE OF KETOSIS AND IF NOT WHY ARE YOU NOT DOING THIS?

You WILL lose weight if you go into ketosis but you dont seem to even be checking into that.  Then you will need to carb up once you go into the purple/black zone.  My cousin lost 80 lbs of bodyfat doing this diet... in 9 months.  Thats a lot of weight.  He went from 270 to 200 as he added 10 lbs of muscle while he dieted.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#41]
WHat are your calorie levels?  You lose weight faster on a ket genic diet but you will still gain weight if you have high calories.  What is your daily intake of calories?  Is it over 2000 if not exercising?  Is it over 2500 if exercising hard every day?  Too much food will make you fat... no matter what it is.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:20:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:37:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Too much food will make you fat... no matter what it is.
View Quote

Not totally true in this type of diet because there will be a point at which your body releases fat.
And insulin is not in the equation anymore.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:42:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Let's take the Asian diet for instance. 80% of their diet consist of carb. Rice, Noodles, and other starches are use in everyday food. Yet for the most part Asians are skinny.
View Quote

This argument is totally flawed.  Their meat intake is far less.  They also do not eat a shitload of carbohydrates (incl refined sugars).
Now apply it to YOU at your age, your body is already somewhat resistant to insulin because you have been eating LOTS (comaratively) of carbohydrates throughout your life.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 6:10:04 AM EDT
[#45]
An Asian diet is VERY low calorie.  You need to resrict your calories more.  There is no way to prevent weight loss if the calories are low enough.  I have never seen a fat person in a concentration camp.  Also if you over eat even if you are keto you WILL gain weight.  Isulin plays a role but calories is ALWAYS the primary factor.  If you are guessing your calorie intake you need to rethink your strategy.  The people I have trained have one primary rule they never break.  You wirite down the Protein, Fat, Carbs and Calories of what you are about to eat in your journal.  If its not already written down it does not go in your mouth.  This prevents the "Oh crap I didnt realise" at the end of the day and allows better tracking of your nutrients and you can adjust accordingly.  Do you have your body fat % measured once a month?  There is nothing wrong with gaining weight so long as your % body fat goes down.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 7:46:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#47]
If your gain ing weight your eating to many calories.  I have my own diets I used to put people on when I was a personal trainer.  Calories is the most important thing.  I was doing Ketogentic diets long before Atkins.  Atins may not mention calories but they are the MOST important thing.  Going into ketosis just speeds up the fat loss, it does not allow you to lose weight while consuming too many calories.

Its not the ketogenic diet thats at fault... its you over consumption.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top