Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#1]
: BINGO :
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I hate making 2 crane lifts. The last one I did, I tailed for the bigger crane the company has. The lift was only 27000 pounds and I was in a Grove RT650E. The other guy was in a Terex over the road crane of about the same size. We were standing up a temporary silo that either crane could handle alone, but it took 2 to get it vertical. We almost had it vertical and most of the load was on him, when for some reason he boomed up. I don't know what he was thinking. I had out 70 feet of stick and was at about a 50 degree boom angle. All was good. He starts booming up and puts most of the load back on me. I was 3 lights in the yellow before the riggers got him to stop. It was a classic example of one guy was signaling him and another guy signaling me. There was an epic ass chewing and the job was completed without incident.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can't help but wonder what size crane will be needed to get the crane on the right out of that hole?
View Quote

Lol, that's what I was thinking, probably the size crane they needed to begin with.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It was a classic example of one guy was signaling him and another guy signaling me.
View Quote

Never good.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:21:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I had a remote for the crane on my Heavy Wrecker, but I've never seen one used on a large crane (some have remotes that are used for rigging up/down the crane)

The Rigger calls the lift, they have a better eye on what's going on and will give the operator(s) commands.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is there any such thing as a crane having a direct cable remote for operators to stand outside of it and operate?

Not just for safety, but for them to have a better prospective on what they're doing, than being isolated in the cab at tough to see angles.

I had a remote for the crane on my Heavy Wrecker, but I've never seen one used on a large crane (some have remotes that are used for rigging up/down the crane)

The Rigger calls the lift, they have a better eye on what's going on and will give the operator(s) commands.

Tower cranes have them, and some hydros.  The only time they're really handy is when you're out of line of sight, and signals are being called by radio.  I've never run a tower crane, and I've never used a remote, but I've been the signalman plenty of times.  

In my experience, it's a lot easier to run the machine from the seat.  You do a lot of things by feel, catching your swing and whatnot, and you can't feel it if you're not on the machine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Som-ting-wong
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:42:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Why were the cranes off to the side and not in line with the beam?
View Quote
Rotating the beam from the side of the hole to the center where it ws being placed.  Someone forgot to tell Newton what they were doing, and Newton got pissed...

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Always ve joy watching the Harland and Wolfe one

http://youtu.be/05_ahAulMSE
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
gonna be a real bitch getting the operator out of the dangler.
View Quote

Nobody seemed to concerned about either of them
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:01:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Lunch time!
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:04:39 PM EDT
[#11]
crane charts..how do they work?
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#13]
The sum of all moments is not equal to zero.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#14]
someone shit their pants for sure
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Communists entertain me.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Physics is a cold hearted mistress.
View Quote

Yep quite a calculating bitch.

Crane company rented our parking lot a couple years ago for some kind of operator training or test.

Moving a 55 gallon drum on the hook just off the ground through a course of cones with tennis balls on em... looked quite challenging
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Id need some clean underwear after that ride
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/14/2013 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Once you get the counterweights off, and a lot of the other parts that can be removed the answer is a not very large one.  

Of course, being Venezuela, they'll probably use a bigger crane and try to pick it up all at once and have that one fall in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't help but wonder what size crane will be needed to get the crane on the right out of that hole?
Once you get the counterweights off, and a lot of the other parts that can be removed the answer is a not very large one.  

Of course, being Venezuela, they'll probably use a bigger crane and try to pick it up all at once and have that one fall in.

Your avatar is nothing less than perfect for this thread.  Is that the guy in the 60 ton crane?  

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top