Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 1:59:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Something similar happened to me and a buddy camping in the backwoods when i was younger (72hr pack equipment check and training).  

We were hiking along a river on the "cliff" side where there was about a 90' drop and decided to make camp because the sun was about to set. We were hiking in the fall and the leaves were very thick and at the bend in the river we found a nice flat spot bare of leaves in the crotch that was also at the peak of the hill that we were climbing and decided that this was the place.  We pitched our pup tents and settled in for the night with an MRE and small fire.  

At about midnight the wind started blowing so we poured all of our drinking water and gathered all the rocks we could find and piled them on the fire to keep it in our rock ring.  We crawled inside our tent to get out of the misty rain and the wind kept getting harder until it felt like it was 70mph.  The tents were being blown hard enough that I thought that I was going to become airborne (I was on the windward side of camp).  At that point it dawned on me why the place was so clear of leaves... the river made a perfect funnel for the wind and poured it directly to that spot with the slightest breeze.

We learned a few things that night... Things are not always as they appear and to bring less stuff and more water (or a way to make clean water).
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:12:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a great way to find lots of snakes. I got 10 good size rattlers out in Barstow with a flash flood like that. Crazy amounts of critters come out of that mud once it slows down a little.

View Quote

Whew, glad I survived that 20 mile long mudslide full of sharp sticks and boulders... oh great here comes a redneck with a fucking hatchet and a bunch of my headless friends.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:16:47 PM EDT
[#3]
How many iodine tabs do you need for that shit?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:19:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seen old cars all twisted and mangled in the Utah desert in crazy places from flash floods. My brother and his wife nearly got themselves killed while kayaking in So. Utah once when they were surprised by a flash flood.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Same thing with the idiots who try to cross a road that's been flooded with moving water.
View Quote

Indian Bend Wash every single year.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:30:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same thing with the idiots who try to cross a road that's been flooded with moving water.

From Scottsdale?

Every year this crap happens. It's like people forget what it was like just 9 months earlier.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:37:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Used to be a  cop in Tucson. After floods in the Santa Cruz river, we would search for people that got caught in the water, and only find parts of them...shredded like in a blender. Stay out of flood waters!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

From Scottsdale?

View Quote

Phoenix.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Truth. Never camp too close to water. Be close enough to get water as needed, but not close enough to get washed away in a flash flood, or wake up in water. Common sense.
View Quote

FPNI

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#10]
whoops.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Several years ago there was a group of hikers who got caught in a slot canyon by a flash flood. They never found all the bodies.
The freaky part was the rains were several miles away so there was no warning at all.
View Quote

That was Antelope canyon. The only survivors were the Navajo guides. French or German tourist group if I remember correctly.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top